Peaky F'ng Blinders - Season 6 (Final Season)

MonkeyDoughnut

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Does BBC iPlayer require a subscription? I have a VPN.

No

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

I'm not Armybrat old but I have no idea how to do what that is.

iPlayer is limited to UK connections. VPN will basically give you an IP address that is local to some "server" you choose (your IP address tells people where in the world you are connecting from).  For a British person living in UK who is on vacation in Texas, they could not use the BBC iPlayer , using a VPN gives them that option to catch shows when traveling outside the country.

I use SurfShark, NordVPN is very popular VPN as well. ($$ but only couple dollars a month)

Here are the general instructions for after when you have installed the VPN software, just choose a UK - London/home server in your VPN software:

https://www.vpnunlimited.com/help/manuals/how-to-watch-bbc-iplayer

Can easily watch on computer or phone this way and I'll usually just screencast or such for watching on TV.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

If you use a chrome browser, there’s a free VPN extension you can install. It has about a dozen countries for free. I’m not at a PC, so I don’t know if the UK is one of the free VPN locations.

Can't say I'd recommend using a "free" VPN (for anything, just too risky). If you're at that point I'd just wait until hits Netflix.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 8:15 AM, MissingInAction said:

Don't want to spoil anything.

Already released in the uk, so any IP pirate worth their salt already has the show.

Help me out here.  Never used a VPN before.  Got set up on that.  Now BBC is telling me I need to buy a license.  Is that legit?  I don't mind spending a couple bucks to watch this a couple months early but I'd like to be assured I'm not getting railroaded by a nigerian prince or the internet version of the white delivery van with the extra speakers.

EDIT:  Figured it out.  They only ask if you have a license.  If you answer yes they don't ask for any documentation for it. 

Edited by Your Mom
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Help me out here.  Never used a VPN before.  Got set up on that.  Now BBC is telling me I need to buy a license.  Is that legit?  I don't mind spending a couple bucks to watch this a couple months early but I'd like to be assured I'm not getting railroaded by a nigerian prince or the internet version of the white delivery van with the extra speakers.

EDIT:  Figured it out.  They only ask if you have a license.  If you answer yes they don't ask for any documentation for it. 

Mom can you come set this up for me?

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Mom can you come set this up for me?

You're probably just making fun of me and that's ok, I deserve it.  But if not, get a VPN account.  I purchased a one-month accpunt with Express VPN, after an exhaustive search, ie. clicking on the first thing google suggested.  That cost $12 I think.  Download their software, install it, open it, hit connect, select UK as you location.  Then go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer  You have to set up an account with them.  They will ask if you are over 16 and if you live in the UK.  Yes and you do.  They will ask if you have a television license.  Yes, no need to actually get a license, just answer yes.  That's it, select Peaky Blinders and hit play.  I'm the 2020's equivalent of the 1980's dad who needed his kids to program the VCR and I figured it out.  

19 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You're probably just making fun of me and that's ok, I deserve it.  But if not, get a VPN account.  I purchased a one-month accpunt with Express VPN, after an exhaustive search, ie. clicking on the first thing google suggested.  That cost $12 I think.  Download their software, install it, open it, hit connect, select UK as you location.  Then go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer  You have to set up an account with them.  They will ask if you are over 16 and if you live in the UK.  Yes and you do.  They will ask if you have a television license.  Yes, no need to actually get a license, just answer yes.  That's it, select Peaky Blinders and hit play.  I'm the 2020's equivalent of the 1980's dad who needed his kids to program the VCR and I figured it out.  

I am not making fun of you at all. I’m a technological tard. 

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of Deux Ex Machina and the writing suffered from some of the familiar difficulties that arise when you introduce historical figures into a fictionalized account but the acting in this show has always elevated the writing and it's not different here. 

They are very handy. I use one to watch out of market sports and when I travel. They can slow down your internet connection though.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, pied06 said:

What a great series.  Season was clearly set up to come to a conclusion and happy with the way they did.  Also liked the way there's certainly room for more content.

Think the plan is to end it with a movie. Not sure how that will translate to the big screen but agree there is room for more.

• Hook 'Em 2

While I think the show was phenomenal I think S5 & S6 were the two weakest seasons (while still being very solid). I think there was a lot more fun to be had with certain characters. Far too little time was spent with Jessie Eden (the character interactions between her and Tommy were so fucking well done), Ada (a critical part of what made family interactions so great), Pol (she should have had the second most lines imo), and Michael (a great foil for Tommy and a really fun source of drama both as an ally and as an enemy). Also, Arthur was too much of a caricature of himself in S5, though they largely fixed that this season and did a FUCKING FANTASTIC job with him in the final episode, holy fuck.

Really speaking S5 and S6 could have benefited from two more episodes apiece that would have allowed them to take a slower pace with every scene. Every single modern great show seems to have this problem where they decide they're going to deny their golden goose their swan song (how do you like that mixed metaphor). Why they insist on this after the fiasco of GoT is beyond me. Thankfully the writing and acting is still top class here by and large so whatever issues there were were outshone by all that was good about it.

• Hook 'Em 2

I watched a youtube video of everything I needed to know for Season 6, so that helped quite a bit.  I just didn't remember the Gypsy culture/curses being such a big part of the show.  I guess that's what happens when the seasons are so far apart.

Yeah.... something happened in the final episode that I was very confused by until I went back and read up on it, and was like "oh yeah." But I had totally forgotten.  

Spoiler

Why Finn was banished

I presume they are going to do a movie.  I feel like there is an entire major plotline here that was just dropped the last episode and a half, which otherwise makes some of Tommy's early season actions seem dumb/unnecessary.  If they never address it, then the final season gets a C and likely the weakest season.  If they do address it, I'll change my tune.

If they do make a movie, do they set it to run through 1940 somehow?  Are we allowed to spoil history here? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, OB3 said:

Question

Reveal hidden contents

Since he didn’t actually have the disease, what made him have seizures?

Great question. Loved it nonetheless though. Great use of the smile but free in the knowledge would have been my choice of song. 

5 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

Great question. Loved it nonetheless though. Great use of the smile but free in the knowledge would have been my choice of song. 

Looked it up and found this…

Spoiler

His doctor was giving him pills, Lizzie even asked why he was taking them. Also said PTSD after Polly died, but he started having them 4 years later so I think that’s less likely

Edited by OB3

5 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

How did they explain Polly's death?  I don't think that's a spoiler since she died in real life.  Any anyone dumb enough to enter a thread without watching the season first is kind of asking for it.  

The IRA killed her in the failed plot against Mosely in the finale.  

• Hook 'Em 1