Fayetteville, NC--Road Rage Shooting and Off Duty Shooting

Mrs Whiggins

These are two separate events, but until other info is revealed they've been combined.

First event:

Truck has two occupants, father and son. Motorcycle rider and son exchange words, Dad shoots motorcycle rider. Dad charged with murder.

News story here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/north-carolina-man-charged-with-murder-in-alleged-road-rage-shooting-of-motorcyclist/ar-AASxNhb

https://www.wral.com/legal-experts-say-son-involved-in-fayetteville-road-rage-shooting-likely-wont-face-charges/20064818/

Video link here:

https://www.wral.com/video-shows-moment-when-road-rage-incident-in-fayetteville-turned-deadly/20063231/

Second event:

Off duty deputy shoots man who he says jumped onto his truck at intersection. A witness says that is not what happened and that the deputy hit the man with his truck. A nurse, who witnessed the event and rendered aid, said she didn't see anyone in distress, that the man was just walking home. Investigation turned over to the state as far as I can tell.

https://www.wral.com/fayetteville-police-man-jumped-onto-off-duty-deputy-s-truck-before-deadly-shooting/20069333/

Man, that second story is weird as shit.  And horribly tragic.  Who just jumps on a truck at an intersection?  Sounds like the truck didn't have any computer indications of an impact.  Other than a broken wiper, doesn't sound like the kind of damage a large, grown man would do if he hurled himself onto the truck.  And then the driver empties four rounds into the deceased?  Witnesses say he didn't jump on the truck and it sounds like, based on the limited information, that was the case. 

It's a busy street, but where this happened is a rather quiet T-intersection based on the map.  I'm guessing the intersection to the North or South has a traffic cam and can show if the deceased was in fact just walking along.  Sounds like the off-duty police is saying the deceased presented a dangerous threat to him/his family based on the witnesses so he shot him?  But couldn't the driver just drive away?  Doesn't sound like Walker had any weapons on him, even if he was a "truck jumper."  

Maybe he almost hit him and a ruckus ensued?  And unbelievable odds at that quiet T-intersection, there just happens to be a trauma nurse watching it all unfold and able to render immediate aid.  I feel bad for her.  Probably either ending or just about to start a long shift with Covid-19 patients and now she's stuck in the middle of this high-profile case.  I'm sure somebody's already putting the screws to her to alter her story.  

Anyway, very strange story based on the little bit of information available.  Obviously, let the judicial system unfold here.  But I've lost my shit when cars have almost hit me and slammed on a hood or two when I almost got leveled by an asshole looking at his phone blowing through a red light.  Didn't occur to me that I could have four rounds unloaded into me, but then again---I'm not black.  

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

These are two separate events, but until other info is revealed they've been combined.

First event:

Truck has two occupants, father and son. Motorcycle rider and son exchange words, Dad shoots motorcycle rider. Dad charged with murder.

News story here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/north-carolina-man-charged-with-murder-in-alleged-road-rage-shooting-of-motorcyclist/ar-AASxNhb

https://www.wral.com/legal-experts-say-son-involved-in-fayetteville-road-rage-shooting-likely-wont-face-charges/20064818/

Video link here:

https://www.wral.com/video-shows-moment-when-road-rage-incident-in-fayetteville-turned-deadly/20063231/

to wit, somewhere on the internet that Dad made a post talking about teaching his son the meaning of responsible gun ownership.

Video of the first one with the motorcycle rider.  They cut out the actual shooting and show immediately up to the shot and then cut to him on the ground.  Luckily there was a bystander videoing from their car.  Still does not keep the victim alive.

I considered posting the entire thing in CR, because it has that type of potential. The police (second event) issued a statement, but note that the deputy is not of the police department, he is from the sheriff's department--Cumberland County. The area is going through some things apparently--there has been a lot of back and forth with racist incidents and vandalism, criminals tagging along with the 2020 protests and vandalizing, etc, and such. It may be best that the investigation for the second event has been turned over to an outside agency.

In the first event, they have charged the shooter and will not charge the son if I understand correctly. I never saw any statement regarding the slain man as to him being armed, other than pointing a gloved finger at the son?

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Second event:

Off duty deputy shoots man who he says jumped onto his truck at intersection. A witness says that is not what happened and that the deputy hit the man with his truck. A nurse, who witnessed the event and rendered aid, said she didn't see anyone in distress, that the man was just walking home. Investigation turned over to the state as far as I can tell.

https://www.wral.com/fayetteville-police-man-jumped-onto-off-duty-deputy-s-truck-before-deadly-shooting/20069333/

We have so little to go on here but here are some things that don't make sense:

• They mention the computer did not register a collision.  Duh it was probably around 20 MPH and with a soft bodied human and not a car or tree.  The driver braking created more of a jolt than the impact. This is a distraction/red herring
  • Somehow the dead guy used a windshield wiper to break the windscreen?  WTF is that other than an excuse for how the windshield broke.  Bullshit story.  
  • The reasonable thing to do is to drive away not shoot if you're being attacked but I don't think he was based on the extra excuses.

Those three things plus witness testimony that the pedestrian was hit and did not jump on the vehicle raise a lot of questions for me.

I think a more plausible story is that he was texting, hit a guy on the shoulder and then overreacted and is dealing with a homicide instead of hitting a pedestrian.  Dead men can't tell their side of the story.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think if the first victim had a weapon on him (or in the bike)...it would have been all over the news by now.  I'm sure it will be used in the defense that he thought his hand was a gun and was protecting his precious child.  If somebody gets out of a truck with a black jacket and black gloves, I could see that being confusing.  But you obviously saw the guy on the motorcycle, those guys wear gloves while riding.  It's kinda their thing.  Also, the son's body language and demeanor suggest it's not a gun.  Or the kid is not phased by an Uzi pointed at his skull at 2' range, which is another topic for another Father's Day I guess.  

49 dads would hang back and let the son work it out on his own.  49 dads would get outta the car and help the son.  1 would run away.  This poor kid got stuck with the 1 leftover dad that just opens fire in public.  What a tragic turn of events.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

those guys wear gloves while riding.

Yes, that's what I've seen in my own driving around town, plus gloves like that are stiff so the fingers stick out when you point--if someone had a gun in your face at that distance, you'd back up. Son did not. I mentioned weapon, because someone in the Arbury thread said something about both having guns and I didn't want to clutter up that thread.

I don't think the slain man was armed, or if he was--he had not drawn a weapon.

2 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

There is no way the windshield got broken with a windshield wiper. That's is virtually impossible 

Tell me about it--I miss the wipers that were made mostly of metal. I replace our wipers myself because once you know how to do it it's easy, but they are so poorly constructed now but whoooo expensive.

So the nurse's husband took video of the Sheriff shooting the pedestrian. I imagined this was going to be dusk or night but it was broad daylight.

https://www.wral.com/video-shows-aftermath-of-fayetteville-shooting-involving-cumberland-county-deputy/20070736/

I listened to the audio and the Sheriff tells the responding officer the victim ran across the street so he stopped and then the guy jumped on his truck.  Then immediately goes into, "I'm protecting my rights and my child"

Even if the pedestrian was jaywalking and caused the accident is it self defense to shoot him? I'm going to listen through it again.

I mean, if you ripped off the entire mechanism:  the wiper blade, the arm & link, the housing, and the motorized arm & shaft...then something of that heft could certainly crack a windshield if a grown man was swinging it.  But that would be literally impossible to rip off by hand.  You'd just rip off the blade, arm & link and with that you couldn't even scratch the windshield...maybe beating it for several swings and you'd finally get a little cosmetic crack across a portion of it.

So his story is the victim/potential attacker meticulously removed the entire windshield wiper mechanism down to the shaft and then used it to attack the truck full of family members?  A guy at an intersection approaches my windshield with so much as a squee-gee...know what I do?  I drive off.  Who the fuck just sits there with a carful of people and watches a guy rip off an entire wiper mechanism and then start swinging it enough times to break a modern windshield?  I guess maybe that's what triggered him to hit him.  If he was a standstill and drove off and the guy lifted up off the ground...he wouldn't really make a dent in the truck so that makes sense.  But then, that just makes a juror wonder, "So he was attacking you, you sped away with him on the hood/front bumper...how'd you shoot him?" 

8 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Then immediately goes into, "I'm protecting my rights and my child"

There's a rather large portion of our fellow citizenry that really REALLY want to use their guns and will jump at the chance to do so. It's unfortunate that so many of them have qualified immunity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Exhibits 59,356,473 and 59,356,474 in the case of "we are a broken fucking society."

We are living out the goddamned Far Side cartoon about how to treat injuries to horses -- no matter the situation, the proper course of action is "shoot."

DhMyigWW4AA00uk.jpg

I noticed Gary Larson conveniently glossed over what to do with a horse that has worms.  Obviously he's part of the Big Pharma conspiracy.  

But yes, to your point...sad that so many people's first instinct is "I should shoot that person for...I dunno...reasons."  

21 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

So the nurse's husband took video of the Sheriff shooting the pedestrian. I imagined this was going to be dusk or night but it was broad daylight.

https://www.wral.com/video-shows-aftermath-of-fayetteville-shooting-involving-cumberland-county-deputy/20070736/

I listened to the audio and the Sheriff tells the responding officer the victim ran across the street so he stopped and then the guy jumped on his truck.  Then immediately goes into, "I'm protecting my rights and my child"

Even if the pedestrian was jaywalking and caused the accident is it self defense to shoot him? I'm going to listen through it again.

The video doesn’t appear to show the shooting itself, but the aid being rendered. 

The witness nurse would seem to have little reason to say anything happened other than her account, but I’ll be interested to learn more. 

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The video doesn’t appear to show the shooting itself, but the aid being rendered. 

The witness nurse would seem to have little reason to say anything happened other than her account, but I’ll be interested to learn more. 

Right, a few things that are not on the record yet which makes this press conference easier

• Don't have a Medical Examiner report yet so can't say if he was shot in front or back.  Based on where the body was in the video I imagine he was moving away from the driver when shot.
  • Don't have statement from Nurse/witness yet who is reported to have stated that the victim did not jump on the truck.  This refutes the driver's account.  The Chief of Police dances around this because she does not have the statement. 

Also, the lack of an impact in the computer is the proving a negative fallacy.  The computer not registering an impact is nothing more than that, it is not proof that there was not an impact just proof that the computer did not register one yet the chief states "this is critical evidence".

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Dad pretty much said this to me one night after having to come pick me up from the back of a patrol car because by the grace of god one of the officers knew my uncle. It took a while for me to truly understand what he was saying, but man it’s worth repeating

There's a reason that most people with actual experience and training in combat situations suggest the "run, hide, fight" approach to dealing with dangerous conflict.

Shit, it's what I taught my family a long time ago -- if shit goes down at our house, the kids were instructed to hoof it out the back door and run through the greenbelt behind our house, and keep running until they get to a major road.

Whether you are a homeowner, driver, or cop, "shoot" should always be fucking LAST on your list of actions.  If any other action is reasonably available to you, take it.

They put a lot of impact sensors on hoods to detect a vertical impact now, do they?  And if they do, it would register something as light as 200 lbs dropping from close to zero height?  I’d be sliding onto the hood of my truck.  I’m sure those that actually have a vertical of some respectability could get above it enough to “fall” a couple of inches. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Fayetteville, North Carolina has always been a rough town.  I know the Arkansas namesake goes by the same title, but it was nicknamed Fayettenam when I was growing up in NC.

I believe it was nicknamed Fayettenam by people who had spent plenty of time in actual Vietnam. Rough town from my understanding.

Well, Deputy Hash wisely pulled down his LinkedIn page.  I'll leave it to you facebook sleuths to dig up his social media history.

Innocent until proven guilty.  But as stated above, the police picked some really weird aspects of the incident scene to report that don't make much sense.  And just some weird details to the story overall.  Obviously our heart goes out to the shooting victim's family, but I also feel really bad for this poor nurse who is now stuck in the middle of this high-profile case because she happened to see somebody get hurt and wanted to render aid, as is her calling in life.  Glad the FBI took over so these morons can no longer fuck it up.  

Moral of the story---I guess from now on when somebody rolls through an intersection and almost hits me even though I have R.O.W., I ain't smacking down on their hood like I have twice before.  Almost came to blows one time, but I didn't think it was a shooting offense.  Once again, my prize failure---a lack of imagination with how degraded our nation is.  

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They put a lot of impact sensors on hoods to detect a vertical impact now, do they?  And if they do, it would register something as light as 200 lbs dropping from close to zero height?  I’d be sliding onto the hood of my truck.  I’m sure those that actually have a vertical of some respectability could get above it enough to “fall” a couple of inches. 

Yep, those vertical sensors would go off every time you hit a pothole or speed bump.  I'm sure they would make a lot of sense on a 4x4 like the one the shooter was driving.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Yep, those vertical sensors would go off every time you hit a pothole or speed bump.  I'm sure they would make a lot of sense on a 4x4 like the one the shooter was driving.

As you stated before, though, the black box reference should not be the deciding factor. W/O going all conspiracy theory, etc the data from those can be downloaded and interpreted improperly, overwritten, and so on. Doesn't even include that the box is not infallible because IIRC the purpose of the box is not to 'prove' cases, it is for post crash analysis.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Moral of the story---I guess from now on when somebody rolls through an intersection and almost hits me even though I have R.O.W., I ain't smacking down on their hood like I have twice before.  Almost came to blows one time, but I didn't think it was a shooting offense.  Once again, my prize failure---a lack of imagination with how degraded our nation is.  

This is a good lesson for drivers nowadays unfortunately... It seems like there's at least one road rage shooting a month in Houston now, and I know that I've seen considerably worse drivers and busier than ever body shops. People are fucking CRAZY these days. And we've got more guns than ever, and next to no barrier to carrying one around legally/without consequence no matter what age you are or mental condition you're in.

Edited by Captainant

6 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Dad pretty much said this to me one night after having to come pick me up from the back of a patrol car because by the grace of god one of the officers knew my uncle. It took a while for me to truly understand what he was saying, but man it’s worth repeating

I am a confrontational guy by nature, or was, as I've grown older, I've realized there's never really a winner in a fight.  If you're fortunate enough to physically win the fight, what makes you think homeboy won't come back with his buddies or a gun?  Or, you could get arrested?  

Driving in the cities I have lived in, it would be very easy to get road rage and one time I actually followed a car for a couple of miles because he honked (wrongfully in my mind) at me.  I thank my lucky stars he managed to lose me as who knows what could've happened.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I know quite a few people from there.  Generally conservative people, but even they say "Raleigh/Research Triangle is totally fine.  But if you're ever out in the sticks, people aren't quite as friendly to minorities."

this is accurate. A Jamaican restaurant near my job out in the sticks got defaced with a bunch of “you don’t belong here” graffiti recently. Fuuuckin stupid, even if just to do that to the only interesting restaurant in town.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well, Deputy Hash wisely pulled down his LinkedIn page.  I'll leave it to you facebook sleuths to dig up his social media history.

Innocent until proven guilty.  But as stated above, the police picked some really weird aspects of the incident scene to report that don't make much sense.  And just some weird details to the story overall.  Obviously our heart goes out to the shooting victim's family, but I also feel really bad for this poor nurse who is now stuck in the middle of this high-profile case because she happened to see somebody get hurt and wanted to render aid, as is her calling in life.  Glad the FBI took over so these morons can no longer fuck it up.  

I always smack the rear quarter panel as they pass and go to the ground. They usually just drive off really fast.

That shitheel was covering his ass from the moment he called 911.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/don-t-care-trauma-nurse-175100510.html

‘I Don’t Care About That!’: Trauma Nurse on Scene of Deadly Shooting Fires Back at Off-Duty Deputy Who Appears More Concerned with Explaining Why He Shot Black Man Instead of Providing Aid

Nicole Duncan-Smith
Thu, January 13, 2022, 11:51 AM

The 911 call made by the sheriff’s deputy that shot and killed a Black man in North Carolina has been released. The city council has now requested that the U.S. Department of Justice get involved in the investigation.

Deputy Jeffrey Hash called 911 after he shot Jason Walker on Saturday, Jan. 8, in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Jason Walker (left), Deputy Hash at the scene (right)

Jason Walker (left), Deputy Hash at the scene (right)

The almost four-minute call records Hash as saying, “I just had a male jump on my vehicle and broke my windshield. I just shot him. I am a deputy sheriff.”

“You said you shot him?” the dispatcher asked the deputy.

“Yes, he jumped on my car, please,” he responded.

When the dispatcher asked for his name, Hash said, “I am a lieutenant with the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office.”

Later in the call, the dispatcher asks Hash if he is near the victim, he replies, “I am. He’s gone. He’s gone, ma’am.”

“Is he breathing?” the dispatcher inquires. The deputy answered, “No, ma’am, he is not. He’s gone.”

Hash then asks for “units out ’cause there’s people gathering.”

During the call, the deputy tells the dispatcher that his vehicle is a red Ford F-150. He then states, “He shattered my windshield.”

Also heard on the call is an exchange that Hash had with a witness, Elizabeth Ricks, the woman who tried to assist Walker after he was shot. The call captures Hash telling her to leave the scene.

“Just keep moving, ma’am,” he says to Ricks.

She replies to him, “I’m a trauma nurse.”

To her qualifier, he says, “I’m a deputy sheriff. Come here. He jumped on my vehicle. I just had to shoot him.”

The dispatcher joins in the conversation and asks for clarity on what actually happened, to which Hash submitted his version.

“I was driving down the road and he came flying across Bingham Drive, running, and then I stopped so I wouldn’t hit him and he jumped on my car and started screaming; pulled my windshield wipers off, and started beating my windshield and broke my windshield,” Hash recalled. “I had my wife and my daughter in my vehicle.”

The dispatcher asked, “Did he have any weapons, sir?”

Hash said that Walker did not have a firearm, and again, asserted his version of the story, “He just tore my wipers off and started beating. … He busted my windshield.”

Turning her attention to the victim, who Hash had already said was not breathing, the dispatcher about how many people are present at the site of the crime.

“There’s tons of cars and people gathering around,” he stated.

The 911 call continued to pick up conversations from those who gathered around Walker’s body.

One key voice is Ricks, the trauma nurse Hash told to “keep moving.” Ricks can be heard saying that the man is still alive.

Hash finally asks for help, saying, “He has a light pulse right now. I need EMS now.”

The dispatcher asks where the man was shot, but neither Hash nor Ricks has the information. Hash reveals to the dispatcher, “I’m seeing blood on his side, ma’am.”

Ricks is heard trying to save him, notwithstanding Hash’s request for EMS’s arrival on the scene. The call records her in the background asking for a shirt or something to stop the bleeding.

Others in the background-repeat the dispatcher’s questions about where Walker was shot, but Hash continues to say that he doesn’t know and repeats his version of what happened, “He was on the front of my vehicle. He jumped on my car.”

Ricks snaps, “I don’t care about that, where is the entry point?”

Hash responded to her and says to the dispatcher, who tells him to stop talking to the people on the scene, “People are hostile right now.”

Hash’s “hostile” comment was captured on the two-minute cellphone video of the aftermath of the shooting, recorded by Chase Sorrell, Ricks’ boyfriend.

Ricks and Sorrell are key witnesses to the fatal shooting.

The Fayetteville Observer reports that the two say they were driving about two car lengths behind Hash when the nurse saw Walker standing on the side of the road.

Ricks maintains that Walker waited for one car to go by before he started to cross the street. That is when Hash’s truck came by and struck the 37-year-old Black man, and Hash got out the car and shot the man four times, the nurse says. After that, she got out of her car to attempt to save his life as he lay dying next to the back wheels of the Ford pickup truck.

Ricks’ account of Walker being hit by a car contradicts police claims released earlier this week.

Fayetteville Police Chief Gina Hawkins said on Sunday, Jan. 9, the pickup truck had a “black box” that would have registered if the vehicle struck “any person or thing.” She also added that one eyewitness said to her office that Walker was not hit by the truck.

The Fayetteville newspaper reports that Ricks says she gave a witness statement to police at the scene of the shooting.

Since the shooting, Hash has acquired representation. Parrish Daughtry, his lawyer, shared on Tuesday that her client was “devastated” about the incident.

She said, “Lt. Hash is devastated for Mr. Walker’s family, his own family, the greater community and devastated by these events. Beyond that, I’m really prohibited from discussing the facts.”

Walker’s family also acquired the services of a lawyer. Ben Crump, the civil rights attorney that has represented victims in many high-profile cases such as those of George Floyd and Trayvon Martin, will represent the interests of the family of the deceased.

His office released the following statement, “We have reason to believe that this was a case of ‘shoot first, ask later,’ a philosophy seen all too often within law enforcement. We look to the North Carolina SBI for a swift and transparent investigation so that we can get justice for Jason and his loved ones.”

The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation is solely handling the investigation around Walker’s death. The Fayetteville City Council voted unanimously during its first regular session meeting on Monday, Jan. 10, to invite the U.S. Department of Justice to assist in this case.

• Rage+1 1

Maybe he can claim duress because of what had just happened and having his family in his truck, but that audio is not a good look for this officer.  From "he was going to kill my whole family with windshield wiper blades" to telling the nurse trying to save a savable man to fuck off.  Wow, I'm sure he'll still get a promotion but he just serves to remind us of how often this shit used to happen before cell phones and cameras.  

and to think some service stations just have those same windshield wiper blades just sitting in those diagonal storage tubes out at the pumps...just waiting for kids to pick them up and attack entire cities like lawless BLM scoundrels looking to kill innocent families.  

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

and to think some service stations just have those same windshield wiper blades just sitting in those diagonal storage tubes out at the pumps...just waiting for kids to pick them up and attack entire cities like lawless BLM scoundrels looking to kill innocent families.  

Hell, next time I see a car with moving blades I'm gonna have to ram it head-on. Can't take any chances these days with deadly weapon wipers.

Seriously, bullshit aside...think about Austin.  Think about how many stoplights have busket workers at 'em.  Think about how many of those guys before you can even realize what's going on 'cause it's a red light and you're looking at your phone, or dicking around with the radio or A/C, and look up and the guy has already tilted up your blades to wipe your windshield.  And think about how many of those busket guys are black or hispanic.  Think about all those wiper blades moved by those guys at intersections.  

I usually wave those guys off.  If that doesn't work, I beep the horn.  If that doesn't work, I roll down my window half way and shout "NO THANKS!"  

Apparently though, you can just empty half a magazine into them instead. Probably even before the light turns green.  

Can't wait to hear the Back the Blue line of bullshit on this one...

34 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Apparently though, you can just empty half a magazine into them instead. Probably even before the light turns green.  

Can't wait to hear the Back the Blue line of bullshit on this one...

1 - do you have a badge?

2 - is the dude you are shooting.....you know.....

MV5BZjdkMGJlY2ItNTJjNS00NGQ1LTkzZDgtNTU3

Is there a forensic/ballistic/wipertastic test to see if the guy really pulled the wipers off and beat the windshield to the point of breaking?  Would there be shreads of it left at the scene, no?