The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Amazon Prime

Michael Knight

On 9/26/2022 at 7:46 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Hide contents

Biff is correct. Celimbrombimbor (I can’t spell that fuckers name) is tricked, along with other elves, in to making 16 rings with Sauron’s help. Cel makes the 3 elven rings on his own. 

Hide contents

Then Sauron beats Cel to death with his own hammer and forges the one

Season 2 Episode 10 GIF by NBC

Info on the Rings

https://lotr.fandom.com/wiki/Rings_of_Power

Spoiler

The Rings of Power were the masterwork of the Gwaith-i-Mírdain of Eregion headed by Celebrimbor, grandson of Fëanor. The impetus for their creation came from Sauron, who could at that time still assume an appearance fair enough to deceive at least some of the Elves. A total of nineteen Rings of Power were forged by the Elves, sixteen of which Sauron had a direct hand in creating. The greatest three Rings Celebrimbor crafted alone. Many other lesser rings were made, described in The Silmarillion and by Gandalf, though they were generally considered as having been mere essays in the craft: practice, as it were, for the smiths. Sauron, however, planned to use the Rings to dominate the remaining Elves of Middle-earth. In accordance with this, he secretly forged the One Ring in the fires of Mount Doom, seeking to bring all the rings and their wearers under his sway. However, when Sauron put the Ruling Ring on his finger, the Elves were immediately aware of him and took off their Rings. Furious at this turn of events, Sauron came against the Elves with open war and demanded that the Rings be given to him. Fortunately for the Elves, they were able to hide the greatest Three and pass one to the Dwarves of Khazad-dûm, but Sauron recovered the other fifteen. These he then gave to mortals: the Dwarves and Men. Six he gave to Dwarves (for Seven in total), but Nine he gave to Men, knowing that they would most easily bend to his will. In time, the nine Men to whom the Rings were given became Ringwraiths, or Nazgûl, wraiths of great power under the command of Sauron. The Dwarf lords to whom the Seven were given became wealthy beyond measure, but they did not fall to Sauron's power. They were essentially too "tough" in spirit to be dominated by the will of another, even Sauron. However, the Rings kindled in them an overwhelming greed for treasure, and so ruin was brought to each regardless.

According to Gandalf, one feature of the Rings of Power that appeared to be universal was that a mortal who wore any one of the Rings was granted a lifespan far beyond their natural one. It is likely that this is an unintended side-effect of the Rings' power, as Sauron originally intended for all the Rings to be worn by Elves, who were immortal to begin with. The individual who kept the Ring would not grow or obtain more life, however; they would merely continue until living became unendurable. Bilbo Baggins stated near the end of his time possessing the One that he was beginning to feel "thin and stretched", a sign that this process was beginning to affect him.

The Three which remained to the Elves were carefully hidden from Sauron. They were not created as weapons of war or as a means to dominate others; their purpose was to preserve the beautiful Elven domains where their bearers resided, and to aid in healing and resisting evil. However, they were still linked to the One Ring, and whoever wore the One could, with effort, see the thoughts of those who wore the Three. As such, these Rings were not used by the Elves so long as Sauron retained the One.

In The Silmarillion, it is indicated that the Seven Rings of the Dwarves were not fundamentally different from the Nine that were given to Men, for originally Sauron had intended both the Seven and the Nine to reside in Elven hands. It is implied in that work that Sauron simply gave Men nine of sixteen lesser Rings because they were more easily controlled. However, the Nine and the Seven are referred to in other works as each being its own distinctive set. If they were different in their effects on their wielders or in the powers they conferred, it is not stated. It is also mentioned in Unfinished Tales that the Seven were created before the Nine. Sauron helped to create the Seven and the Nine, so it is likely that their powers and effects on their wielders were similar, even if each set was distinct. It is important to note that the fact that the Seven did not subdue the Dwarves is related to the resilient nature of the Dwarves themselves, not the Rings. It is likely that the effects of one of the Nine on a Dwarf would be the same as those of one of the Seven, and were a Man to wield one of the Seven, he would likely still become a wraith. The Three were fundamentally different because Celebrimbor, working alone, created them for specific purposes not in tune with Sauron's line of thought, and Sauron presumably did not know of their creation until after the fact.

• Hook 'Em 3

I enjoyed that episode thoroughly.

The switcharoo was painfully obvious, but we still had the suspense of not knowing what it was for/what it would do.  Turns out it had a pretty awesome purpose.

Still no idea what's the deal with Adar.  He claims to have pulled off an interesting assassination, but is he telling the truth?  He doesn't strike me as a liar.  He seems honorable, in his way.

LOL I waited all day to see if you guys thought that episode was as cool as I did, though I knew of course you would.

I was absolutely not expecting that the hilt with the smoke sword would be the key to turn Mount Doom on.  But holy shit is right, that was awesome.

Nice to have a little Uruk blood spilled, and I loved Adar's response to dress the humans as orcs and send them to be slaughtered by their own kinsmen.

Just a great fucking episode.

No Harfootsies once again.

I haven't had a chance to go back and check, but after the pyroclastic whatever ash cloud passed, and Adar had lay down to listen to the water rushing toward the mountain, had he disappeared when they cut back to that room?

I saw that mentioned elsewhere but I hadn't noticed that, if he had.

28 minutes ago, Augustus said:

I haven't had a chance to go back and check, but after the pyroclastic whatever ash cloud passed, and Adar had lay down to listen to the water rushing toward the mountain, had he disappeared when they cut back to that room?

I saw that mentioned elsewhere but I hadn't noticed that, if he had.

I noticed Adar wasn’t in the room, it was during the Galadriel “you’ve got to be fucking kidding me” look.

Also don’t know why Adar would say he killed Sauron, unless he either thinks he did or it’s metaphorical.  You know Gal isn’t going to believe him, but then he’s getting instructions from someone.

22 minutes ago, Duval Street said:

I noticed Adar wasn’t in the room, it was during the Galadriel “you’ve got to be fucking kidding me” look.

Also don’t know why Adar would say he killed Sauron, unless he either thinks he did or it’s metaphorical.  You know Gal isn’t going to believe him, but then he’s getting instructions from someone.

I'm inclined to believe Adar hates Sauron and sincerely believes he dispatched him.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bernorange said:

That episode was awesome.  I also got a very strong vibe that Lord Halbrand is an imposter who likely stole that crest/symbol thing from its rightful owner.

The show been dropping hints for couple episodes now on who he is

Halbrand desire to be forging steel and his talk of being a  better smith than most of the Numenorean guild members.  Oh, it so happens, Celebrimbor is spearheading  a building project that happens to be a forge.  

Edited by Haphap

25 minutes ago, Hate said:

and.gif

They are at least trying to make you think he’s Sauron. I haven’t read any of the books, but the show is dropping hints:

He’s made the king of the south lands right before Mount Doom is created?

And he was mad that Adar didn’t recognize him when Adar thinks he killed Sauron?

And he’s a smith when Sauron forged the rings of power?

I don’t know if ultimately he will turn out to be Sauron; but that the vibe I’m getting so far, and especially this episode. 

5 minutes ago, hornian said:

They are at least trying to make you think he’s Sauron. I haven’t read any of the books, but the show is dropping hints:

And he was mad that Adar didn’t recognize him when Adar thinks he killed Sauron?

I don’t know if ultimately he will turn out to be Sauron; but that the vibe I’m getting so far, and especially this episode. 

Well, when you put it like that...

Gilgalad on episode 1 also mentioned a reason why they sending Galadriel to the undying land. The Elf king  believed that Galadriel’s search for evil might encourage Sauron to return to Middle Earth and wreak havoc.  If Halbrand is Sauron, it will be ironic that it was Galadriel that arm twisted him to go back to Middle Earth when he was contented staying in Numenor

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't know.  It seemed like there was some real pain when he wanted to kill Adar.  Adar definitely was directly responsible for killing his family.  I don't think he is Sauron at all.

That’s what THEY want you to think. 

I don’t know who they in this context is though. 

9 hours ago, Hate said:

I don't know.  It seemed like there was some real pain when he wanted to kill Adar.  Adar definitely was directly responsible for killing his family.  I don't think he is Sauron at all.

Or, you know, killing him (Sauron/Halbrand) in some way. That seems like it would be painful. 

The desire to stay in Numenor doesn't seem on brand though. Sauron wants order more than anything else. Not a quiet life in Numenor. 

11 hours ago, hornian said:

If he turns out to be Sauron, I wonder how they will try to explain (or if they will) him saving Galadriel in the ocean.

I went to a friends to hang out and watch part of the football game.

He had bailed partway into episode 2 (he is a LOTR book nerd and it was bugging him a bit).

He saw some chatter yesterday about 6, so without finishing episode 2 and without watching 3-5, he watched 6.

His attitude/description to me when I asked him about it

Hugh Jackman Reaction GIF

• Like 1

Finally started in on this series. 

Feels cinematic and epic.

Music score is theater-grade.

Galadriel is a babe.

Skin-color thing is a complete non-issue. 

And finally, given the equally large budget, obsessed fanbase, and grand expectations... this series makes the House of Dragon thing look embarassing.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Finally started in on this series. 

Feels cinematic and epic.

Music score is theater-grade.

Galadriel is a babe.

Skin-color thing is a complete non-issue. 

And finally, given the equally large budget, obsessed fanbase, and grand expectations... this series makes the House of Dragon thing look embarassing.

Welcome to the party pal.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. 

Ok.

YES.

Edited by Biff Tannen
numberz

On 10/1/2022 at 10:17 AM, goatsaag said:

If he turns out to be Sauron, I wonder how they will try to explain (or if they will) him saving Galadriel in the ocean.

She gives him immediate access to the seats of power for both elves and men. It would take many years of manipulation to climb the ladder and open doors that Galadriel can walk him right through. 

Edited by Pods

Sauron’s indestructible blood sword key that turns a mountain in to a giant forge - a plan that is clearly hundreds (thousands?) years old - and y’all think adar is behind this or Halbrand is Sauron in disguise?  This is Sauron’s long fucking game. As Adar says, he was missing some small but if dark magic. I bet he is bound to the sword, “killed” by Adar so he could wait. Last bit was figured out, so Adar is lighting the forge up and bringing the master back. 

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

The sword just opened a dam.  Adar and his orcs built the tunnels which funneled the water to the volcano.  

Yeah, most dams have a blood drinking magic lightsaber key that causes them to crumble. Osha requirement. All the newest designs have them 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bernorange said:

The sword just opened a dam.  Adar and his orcs built the tunnels which funneled the water to the volcano.  

Yeah at first I thought it was just going to flood the vale  and kill most of them.  What actually happened was so much cooler.