The new stadium *should* feature a statue of KD. When do you think we will build it?

shadow_operative

no, he didn't win a title, but neither did Ricky or Earl. from being the unanimous NPOY, to the fact that he'll go down as a top 10 player all time, to what he's meant to the university and the program, to the money he has donated to UT and the charitable work he has done in Austin, to how far it will go in recruiting- this statue is an absolute no-brainer. my only question is- when do we have it built? 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I realize I have no dog in this hunt, but a statue for someone who only played one season?

TJ Ford seemed to do more for UT basketball than KD, didn’t he?

Denton Cooley got a statue for being a basketball player and then going on to be the premier heart surgeon in the world. 

No one has gotten a statue yet, either Durant or Ford. Derka is just making a post. 

However, there can be no doubt that Durant is more important for the visibility and prestige of the UT basketball program. Given that so many of the best players went straight to the NBA or were international stars, Durant having a strong identification with UT is even more important just because of its relative rarity  

Edited by SL Xpress
  • Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

I realize I have no dog in this hunt, but a statue for someone who only played one season?

Both of those players should have their number retired and both should have statues. It’s the standard treatment in football for players who win NPOY.

As for what they have done for UT basketball, TJ put the program on the map in a way it simply hadn’t been. KD is KD. Simply having association with a top 10-15 player ever to play the game does wonders for your program and that’s without mentioning all of the money, time, and rep his gives.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

The youngest team ever in the history of college basketball to reach the Sweet Sixteen.

That was a fun season, that's for sure.

I’m confused. USC was?!?!? Because that’s who went to the sweet 16.

I attended every game Durant played on campus, including the November and December snoozers. I knew he was special and enjoyed watching him. But he doesn’t deserve a statute for his time at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, MotownHorn said:

Y’all don’t even remember how the season ended and you’re trying to bag on me?!?

JFC step away from the computer/phone. You’ve lost it.

Who’s the y’all here? Reading comprehension is hard. If you don’t think that KD is the 1st or 2nd most important player in Texas Basketball history since 2000 then you’re just a moron as I said before.

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I’m confused. USC was?!?!? Because that’s who went to the sweet 16.

I attended every game Durant played on campus, including the November and December snoozers. I knew he was special and enjoyed watching him. But he doesn’t deserve a statute for his time at Texas.

You're right. Wishful thinking on my part.

Youngest team to win a tournament game, then.

I followed him in high school. I knew we had a decent shot at him because Russ Springmann had done such a great job on the recruitment, but it was fun watching the basketball world explode when he chose Texas over Calhoun's UConn and Roy Williams at UNC.

I created a lot of amusement for myself by driving in from Houston to head to the exhibition game where all the players were signing autographs. I went with a friend who is no longer with us. As we walked around campus I would excitedly ask the students passing by if they were heading to FEC to watch Durant play. It made me laugh that none of them had any idea who I was talking about.

1 hour ago, SL Xpress said:

Or...a helicopter crash. Too soon?

Well that was after he rented so it would be covered. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Nate said:

Depends on how you phrase it. TJ did more for the program while he was at Texas. KD has done much, much more (like it's not even remotely close) since graduating. Directly and indirectly. 

You could of course argue that TJ by getting Texas to the FF sort of played a big part in Durant's decision to come here. I agree with and like the idea of a statue for each. 

The son of the biggest American athlete of the past decade is reportedly interested in Texas. Those are the sorts of things that Durant made happen by coming here. 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Love me some LMA but he was never the best player on his own team here and never even won a conference POY let alone NPOY. He will be a basketball HOFer I would think though so maybe from that angle 

I believe he will be in the HoF so that was why I mentioned him.

Just put up the TJ and KD statue at the same time. Both deserve it for different reasons and I don't think either one is a clear cut "most impactful player" - both deserve the title.

And then that's it for statues for basketball. No one else in current history deserves one, I don't think.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:00 AM, dieucla98 said:

Just put up the TJ and KD statue at the same time. Both deserve it for different reasons and I don't think either one is a clear cut "most impactful player" - both deserve the title.

And then that's it for statues for basketball. No one else in current history deserves one, I don't think.

Clarissa Davis - won the Naismith award twice at Texas (87 and 89).  Def deserving. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, Uncle Nate said:

TJ is the UT Hoops GOAT. the one and only. and he absolutely deserves a statue. it's just that there's zero doubt that KD is going to get a statue due to all of the reasons listed in this thread, both on-court and off. TJ is the GOAT of the program, no doubt. but KD is the face of the program, and like it or not, that matters a lot more than who is the GOAT.