Minneapolis police murder Black man during no-knock raid, had wrong guy the entire time

Pancho

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I know.  Hence the point.  They're not much harder than FOIA requests....and they need some type of discovery process to illuminate the justification.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You’re wrong. It’s not a justified shooting. 8 years ago in Texas, guy wins capital murder defense after he shot & killed a deputy who entered his house during a no knock warrant. He argued self-defense, the shooter in that case actually was the intended target of the raid & did have drugs in the house, he didn’t beat those charges but he beat the capital murder charge. He was a white guy though, probably helped.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Man-who-shot-killed-Burleson-deputy-serving-time-for-drug-charges-418017733.html

Local scuttlebutt involves friendly fire as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I was just pointing out that he had a legally purchased hand gun next to him while he slept. Instead of protecting him, it’s the reason he is dead.

well, to be fair, in all his nights sleeping with that gun, he prob slept REALLY well thinking it would save his life one day. cue Alanis Morrisette...

1 hour ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

The article said he was using an FN, which is not so recently introduced. The Ruger model is, and considerably cheaper and much more attractive(in my opnion). I've been entertaining buying one. Too bad this guy didn't get a few rounds off at these assholes. Some 5.7 loads can penetrate soft body armor. 

I missed the FN part, just saw the 5.7... which I’ve read about recently from Ruger. Before that, I had never heard of the older FN model.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

I didn't say cops wouldn't or don't lie, jackass.  I see you aren't one of the sharpest tools in the shed

Sorry I didn't answer your question more clearly:

Q: "Would the cops have shot him if a gun weren't present?"

A: "Yes, here's three examples of cops doing just that, and then lying about it"

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Sorry I didn't answer your question more clearly:

Q: "Would the cops have shot him if a gun weren't present?"

A: "Yes, here's three examples of cops doing just that, and then lying about it"

Maybe you didn't understand the question, but I don't have time to explain it to you right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

I didn't say cops wouldn't or don't lie, jackass.  I see you aren't one of the sharpest tools in the shed

i just can't take anything serious from a dude who willingly chose 4doorsMoreWhores as his Surly name. i'm thinking some 18 year old dude who lives with his divorced mom.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m surprised the dead guy with the gun sitting right next to him while he slept didn’t kill the intruders. Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work?

at some point, there is going to be a case where the cops fuck up, and illegally enter a home (meaning they enter the wrong house/ apt/ building, etc) and the occupant is going to be a ready-to-go home defender (not a wack job) who just happens to be up at the moment of the no knock,

assumes his house is being invaded, and ends up blasting 2-3 cops  and somehow survives once the rest of the cops have sufficiently shouted that they are cops and the defender gives up..... and immediately gets arrested for capital murder.   and you can be DAMN sure that house will be gone over with a fine toothed comb to find ANYTHING illegal to attempt to explain why the defender shot the cops instead of just letting them come in.   and then ESPECIALLY if that house is clean................That would be a fucking trial for the ages.  

I think that's the kind of moment that will finally help break the non knock being allowed.  

the only thing that would make it epic is the acquitted home defender then turns around and sues the families of the dead officers for A) Emotional distress and PTSD, and B) illegally breaking into his home, breaking items and the dead officers having the misfortune of ruining the homeowners $20,000 Persian rug, by bleeding all over it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

at some point, there is going to be a case where the cops fuck up, and illegally enter a home (meaning they enter the wrong house/ apt/ building, etc) and the occupant is going to be a ready-to-go home defender (not a wack job) who just happens to be up at the moment of the no knock,

assumes his house is being invaded, and ends up blasting 2-3 cops  and somehow survives once the rest of the cops have sufficiently shouted that they are cops and the defender gives up..... and immediately gets arrested for capital murder.   and you can be DAMN sure that house will be gone over with a fine toothed comb to find ANYTHING illegal to attempt to explain why the defender shot the cops instead of just letting them come in.   and then ESPECIALLY if that house is clean................That would be a fucking trial for the ages.  

I think that's the kind of moment that will finally help break the non knock being allowed.  

the only thing that would make it epic is the acquitted home defender then turns around and sues the families of the dead officers for A) Emotional distress and PTSD, and B) illegally breaking into his home, breaking items and the dead officers having the misfortune of ruining the homeowners $20,000 Persian rug, by bleeding all over it.  

It already has happened, I posted it on page 1. Guy in Texas got acquitted of capital murder for your exact scenario. He even exceeded it in that the warrant was legit and he did have illegal drugs in the house. He got 2 years in prison for the drugs but was not guilty on capital murder. 

15 minutes ago, Helobious said:

It already has happened, I posted it on page 1. Guy in Texas got acquitted of capital murder for your exact scenario. He even exceeded it in that the warrant was legit and he did have illegal drugs in the house. He got 2 years in prison for the drugs but was not guilty on capital murder. 

yeah... not the same thing.  that was a case of the cops hitting the "correct" house with a person possibly doing bad things, which is why we really havent heard about it.

Im talking an epic  Rambo style home defense by a completely innocent person.   thats what pisses off the public. a totally innocent guy, minding his own business, being forced to defend himself from home invaders that he incapacitates 3,4,5, of and despite being innocent, gets arrested anyway because he shot cops (durrrrr).

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

No knock raids are fundamentally problematic and should be per se illegal. Change my mind. 

Not sure how they work or who gets to make the call. The cops? A judge? Seems like someone should oversight over the decision and be held accountable when shit goes south.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

These are your best friends?!?!  What were they raiding the house for?

Kid is lucky to be alive. Wow. 

i mean...yes?? 🤨

story: http://specials.mystatesman.com/no-knock-warrants/

he was def hanging with a bad crowd...as do a lot of kids. he was no angel..but he had no record at all, never arrested for anything. he was a stupid kid. i mean...they lived in gotdamn Crestview, he went to McCallum HS, we're not talking about a rough/tough kid here who grew up in the hood...i mean he wouldn't even play football despite being huge bc he didn't like hitting people!

but the family are/were big 2nd amendment proponents*, so yeah there were a good number of guns in the house, all registered and legal, they would go to shooting ranges and hunt regularly (we'd even gone with a few times).

another kid got arrested and gave them a 'tip' that he was some cartel-connected drug kingpin and APD ran with that 🙄 absolutely ridiculous. 

i was in the courtroom the day APD testified about the surveillance...they admitted they observed no illegal or even suspicious activity.

the 'evidence of drugs' found in the trash was just as likely his father's who is/was a regular pot smoker. like every third poster here lol.

what really did him in was fucking social media...posting stupid shit on IG with his friends, posing with blunts and a pic with the AK which his dad bought. that was their big justification.

anyway...dad was not home, just him and mom, awoken at dawn to someone busting in the front door and mom screaming...he grabbed the gun (kept in easy reach when dad was gone for work, to protect mom etc 🙄) and shot, to protect their home as he'd been taught. yes he is lucky he is not dead, they both are, only bc he was firing from upstairs.

and literally seconds later, they realized it was police, he stopped firing and gave up, laid down, etc. 

it's def a hard lesson and to his credit he recognizes how stupid he was to even be orbiting that world... it's just a fucking travesty how it played out and how his life has effectively been ruined bc he was trying to be 'cool' 😕...but mostly bc APD had a hard on for this shit back then. 

anyways... that's the story.

(*there's a legitimate conversation to be had about how different his life might have turned out if they simply weren't big gun enthusiasts, from the social media aspect to the 'shoot first ask questions later' defensive posture to the shooting itself...at worst he might be on probation for a minimal drug charge. but i know it's impossible to have that conversation without 'going CR' and frankly it's pointless.)

25 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

No knock raids are fundamentally problematic and should be per se illegal. Change my mind. 

I have no idea why they are allowed. Too many innocent people get murdered by cops going Rambo style. It's embarrassing. I would definitely reach for my gun at 1 am if someone broke down my front door. We have gone fucking insane to be murdered in your own home because some juiced up cops surprises you. I am sick of this shit and hurting over this shit. Enough

Can you imagine if that was your kid?!?!

What can we do to stop this? How did we need to retrain/educate police? How can we remove the NKWs? 

Evidently the political route and the voting way won't do shit. All politician and most judges are shady. 

FUCK

11 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean...yes?? 🤨

he was def hanging with a bad crowd...as do a lot of kids. he was no angel..but he had no record at all, never arrested for anything. he was a stupid kid. i mean...they lived in gotdamn Crestview, he went to McCallum HS, we're not talking about a rough/tough kid here who grew up in the hood...i mean he wouldn't even play football despite being huge bc he didn't like hitting people!

but the family are/were big 2nd amendment proponents*, so yeah there were a good number of guns in the house, all registered and legal, they would go to shooting ranges and hunt regularly (we'd even gone with a few times).

another kid got arrested and gave them a 'tip' that he was some cartel-connected drug kingpin and APD ran with that 🙄 absolutely ridiculous. 

i was in the courtroom the day APD testified about the surveillance...they admitted they observed no illegal or even suspicious activity.

the 'evidence of drugs' found in the trash was just as likely his father's who is/was a regular pot smoker. like every third poster here lol.

what really did him in was fucking social media...posting stupid shit on IG with his friends, posing with blunts and a pic with the AK which his dad bought. that was their big justification.

anyway...dad was not home, just him and mom, awoken at dawn to someone busting in the front door and mom screaming...he grabbed the gun (kept in easy reach when dad was gone for work, to protect mom etc 🙄) and shot, to protect their home as he'd been taught. yes he is lucky he is not dead, they both are, only bc he was firing from upstairs.

and literally seconds later, they realized it was police, he stopped firing and gave up, laid down, etc. 

it's def a hard lesson and to his credit he recognizes how stupid he was to even be orbiting that world... it's just a fucking travesty how it played out and how his life has effectively been ruined bc he was trying to be 'cool' 😕...but mostly bc APD had a hard on for this shit back then. 

(*there's a legitimate conversation to be had about how different his life might have turned out if they simply weren't big gun enthusiasts, from the social media aspect to the 'shoot first ask questions later' defensive posture to the shooting itself...at worst he might be on probation for a minimal drug charge. but i know it's impossible to have that conversation without 'going CR' and frankly it's pointless.)

If not for a few, it could be possible. This discussion need not have anything to do with politics. 

Question: is there no hope he can successfully appeal the conviction? Seems like it's pretty clear his perception was that the house was being invaded and he was defending himself.

4 hours ago, Captainant said:

Fuck the warrior cop defense. Split second defense is a fucking fallacy used to excuse state violence against citizens.

The moment of the shooting was not justified because they instigated the shooting. 

You don't get to claim self defense for a fight you started.

A whole lot of this.  But that ship has sailed.  BACK THE BLUE.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

At least we’re debating facts, law, and policy.  I figured the conversation would have shifted by now to the background/lifestyle of the deceased.  Progress?

Give the cops time.  Another couple of hours should probably do it.  Maybe tomorrow, but that would only be if there's some confusion on their end of exactly HOW to slander the dead guy.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

It's almost like they've taken the same warrior cop training to say specific phrases to build a chain of evidence to support a split second defense claim in court.

Bingo.  I mean, every one of us knows that if you are ever in a situation with a cop, and you hear the phrase "stop resisting!", you know you're about to get your ass fucking beaten senseless, no matter what you are doing.  They use these phrases to create a bullet-proof defense for whatever bullshit they want to do.  It's not even clever or creative.

3 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

Cannot fucking believe that there is not a larger movement to end no-knock warrants. In a sane world, with rational, normal readings of bill of rights, there is no way this is a legal tactic.

"Normal readings of the bill of rights."  Heh.  Chuckle.

The 4th Amendment is dead, dismembered, and run through a wood chipper.  The War on Drugs out front shoulda told ya.  Law enforcement can get a warrant for whatever they want, to do whatever they want, at any time, citing to drug laws.  The warrant process is not even a speedbump.

Oh, and the judiciary is absolutely complicit in this bullshit, too.

3 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  Seems something "both sides" can agree on.  They are a clear violation and a gross overstep and should be used very, very sparingly and be hard as shit to get.  They seem as easy to get as a FOIA request these days.  They should also implicate those that signed off on.....all the way up the chain.  

ALL the way up the chain.   Because the judiciary is often just a rubber-stamp.  And if they aren't, they'll get run out of office because the police union and their cronies will run a candidate against the "soft on crime, anti-cop" judge.  See the source problem here?

Bro do you even back the blue? 

This is the only thing that matters.  The Blue is the law, and is above the law, and don't you forget it.

Minneapolis is likely to burn again.  I don't want it to.  But then, when the fucking authorities can literally murder citizens with impunity, what do you expect to happen?  When authorities take their arrogance and abuse too far, shit explodes.  It's the natural and expected result.  You don't have to think it's good, or think it's bad, to realize that it's the inevitable outcome.

Any of you who think we can reform law enforcement in this country, I'd LOVE to hear how you think we overcome the attitude we see in this case.

13 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i mean...yes?? 🤨

That’s an unbelievable story and while he clearly did some dumbass things his life doesn’t deserve to be ruined over it. So he shot an officer, but didn’t kill him?  Yes, certainly a senseless NNR. 

12 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

What can we do to stop this? How did we need to retrain/educate police? How can we remove the NKWs? 

Evidently the political route and the voting way won't do shit.

Correct.

Step 1 -- Make "eliminate no knock warrants" one of your campaign promises.

Step 2 -- watch your campaign be utterly obliterated by the usual suspects calling you "soft on crime."

Step 3 -- lose to the "law and order" candidate.

Step 4 -- watch this exact shit, where law enforcement murders people, happen again and again and again and again....

Step 5 -- this step usually involves cities on fire.  And we wonder why it happens.

45 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Not sure how they work or who gets to make the call. The cops? A judge? Seems like someone should oversight over the decision and be held accountable when shit goes south.

The cops apply for it, and, in addition to evaluating the probable cause for the warrant itself, the judge is supposed to evaluate its scope and other terms, like whether it's no-knock or not.

With all the bad attention no-knock warrants get, you'd think judges would scrutinize that more carefully.

In Dallas County, any criminal district or county judge can sign off on a warrant, I believe, but they also have appointed "magistrates" that have warrant authority also and do arraignments/bond hearings.  I think the magistrates in particular are most wont to be "in cops' pockets."

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is a huge part of the problem.  The lack of transparency.  Per the article above:

The warrants will be kept under seal, in accordance with state law, “until the court directs otherwise,” Linders said.

and police are not releasing additional information “in order to protect evidence, witnesses and the investigators’ ability to locate the person or people involved in the case,” Linders said.

22 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Evidently the political route and the voting way won't do shit. All politician and most judges are shady. 

I get that he's hated by 99% of this board, but it's notable that Rand Paul introduced a bill to ban no knock warrants in 2020 (don't know what happened to it though).

Rand Paul introduces bill to end the type of warrant involved in Breonna Taylor's death - CNNPolitics

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

There are very rare occasions when they should be used.  Probably less than 1 percent of the rate they are used now.

You going after El Chapo types who are loaded up with M-4s and RPGs, a no knock is the way to go.

Or some serial killer type with innocent people around.

Or some foreign or domestic terrorist with a lot of explosives.

Only if it is needed to save lives and there is no alternative.  Don't care if evidence is destroyed.  That should not be a justification.

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I get that he's hated by 99% of this board, but it's notable that Rand Paul introduced a bill to ban no knock warrants in 2020 (don't know what happened to it though).

Rand Paul introduces bill to end the type of warrant involved in Breonna Taylor's death - CNNPolitics

I dont hate him, but this one action makes me like him a little more

• Hook 'Em 2

It's almost like they've taken the same warrior cop training to say specific phrases to build a chain of evidence to support a split second defense claim in court.

Amber Guyger tried this too.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

that's right.  that's why the no-knock intrusion was wrong, and is the basis for the ultimate fault being on the side of the police.

the first twitter comment from the original post mentioned amir's right to a weapon, his gun being legally registered, etc, which is all a red herring. 

the legality of his gun doesn't change WHY he was shot (because it was presented to the police), and it being legal does not imply he should otherwise not have been shot.

he should not have been shot because the confrontation should not have materialized in the first place.

The only purpose of the "legal gun" comment I can see is to avert the victim blaming

3 hours ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

You don't think the cops wouldn't have shot him had the gun not been present?

It could have been a remote control, a spoon for eating ice cream, maybe a putter.

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Amber Guyger tried this too.

The only purpose of the "legal gun" comment I can see is to avert the victim blaming

It could have been a remote control, a spoon for eating ice cream, maybe a putter.

Exactly. The point(poorly worded as it was) I was making was that it wouldn't have mattered if there was a gun present or not. I think they were going in guns-a-blazin, period. I'm not a fan of no knock warrants, or cops for that matter. 

Serious question:

Is there any situation that is more likely to get a cop killed than a no-knock warrant?

I don't expect police departments to start giving a shit about innocent bystanders or unlucky kids sleeping on a couch when their militarized police force kicks in the wrong god damned door.  But maybe they care about not getting cops killed?  No?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Serious question:

Is there any situation that is more likely to get a cop killed than a no-knock warrant?

In theory, maybe - but my guess is most are executed after surveillance and at a time when most people are asleep and they have the element of speed and surprise.   As many have stated, they are utilized WAY too often.  They need to extremely limited in their scope to situations such as Sack outlined above.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Exactly. The point(poorly worded as it was) I was making was that it wouldn't have mattered if there was a gun present or not. I think they were going in guns-a-blazin, period. I'm not a fan of no knock warrants, or cops for that matter. 

Yep.  If you had a weapon, and people busted in in the early hours of the morning, what would most of us do?

*which is why we have a pair of big, loud dogs.  They're not vicious, but they are a hell of an early warning detector.  

Edited by BabaYaga

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep.  If you had a weapon, and people busted in in the early hours of the morning, what would most of us do?

*which is why we have a pair of big, loud dogs.  They're not vicious, but they are a hell of an early warning detector.  

The cops will shoot them first, but at least that may afford you the chance to run or find cover

This was written back in September, but it's still relevant. MPD asked for and got 90 (NINETY!!!!) no-knock warrants between November 2020 and the date of the writing. JFC, that's one every 3 days! 

https://www.minnpost.com/metro/2021/09/last-year-minneapolis-police-announced-a-new-policy-on-no-knock-warrants-since-then-theyve-asked-for-90-of-them/

Again, I ask, where do you even BEGIN to try to reform that PD?  Their utter contempt for the people and the rule of law is insurmountable.  There's not a "turd in the punchbowl."  It's just a punch bowl full of turds, with a little bit of kool-aid powder sprinkled on top in a pathetic attempt to give them a scintilla of deniability.

So seriously, how do you even start?  They hate you.  They don't give a fuck what you think.  And the more you try to change and reform them, the harder they'll double down because fuck you, peasant, comply and submit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

yeah... not the same thing.  that was a case of the cops hitting the "correct" house with a person possibly doing bad things, which is why we really havent heard about it.

Im talking an epic  Rambo style home defense by a completely innocent person.   thats what pisses off the public. a totally innocent guy, minding his own business, being forced to defend himself from home invaders that he incapacitates 3,4,5, of and despite being innocent, gets arrested anyway because he shot cops (durrrrr).

They would just kill the guy like they did in Houston

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, I ask, where do you even BEGIN to try to reform that PD?  Their utter contempt for the people and the rule of law is insurmountable.  There's not a "turd in the punchbowl."  It's just a punch bowl full of turds, with a little bit of kool-aid powder sprinkled on top in a pathetic attempt to give them a scintilla of deniability.

So seriously, how do you even start?  They hate you.  They don't give a fuck what you think.  And the more you try to change and reform them, the harder they'll double down because fuck you, peasant, comply and submit.

My 2 cents 

we dont need less cops, we need a purge in the police force and a federal mandate of education and training with the entire police in the country. And yes, I don't mind if our (my) taxes pay for it. Element draconian laws and cut the heavy-handed enforcement over pot and stupid petty crimes. Create an environment of protect and serve, but also enact prison reform. Send violent criminals to prison.