Kansas V. Texas - Game Thread

Wally Pryor

49 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

super excited about this one.  i posted it in the beard thread, but i have seen signs that this team may be figuring itself out over the past five games.  win this one and i think we could be in for a really fun february and march.

I don't consider it a must win game. Even if they lose it could be a fun February and March. 

The key to beating Texas is being more effective in the half court. Gonzaga especially, but also Seton Hall won with their front court. Kansas State had their dribble penetration. Iowa State won off of transition baskets from creating turnovers (a big part of their identity) and being unconscious from the 3 point line. OSU won from the free throw line and the 3 point shot. Also, like ISU, they were able to create and convert transition opportunities.

Texas formula for winning is the same as it's been all year. Be efficient on offense and brutal on defense. The weaknesses are the same. A lack of elite athleticism, a lack of dribble penetration, a lack of effective front court scoring, an average rebounding team. Not a great team at going to the rim at all, really. 

Not sure which Dave McCormack shows up. He could be a problem, or he could be a Texas asset. Ogbaji is obviously having a special year and is one of the favorites for NPOY. Covid knocked him out for a couple of games, but assuming he didn't suffer too badly symptom wise, he'll be a key. Texas loves to try to limit the opponent's best scorer, and they've been remarkably effective in doing so. 

Remy Martin is KU's version of Marcus Carr, except he's been even more limited, partly due to injury, partly due to ineffectiveness. Whereas I think fans on this board are beginning to warm up to Carr more, Martin just hasn't been able to put it together. Harris is their primary trigger man, and while he's decent, he's relatively pedestrian for a possible #1 or #2 seed. I really like the change of pace Yesufu can bring at PG, although he was a nonfactor for the most part against Baylor in his 18 minutes. Christian Braun is a little like Tim Allen in that he's a do everything kind of guy. At 6'7, they list him as a guard. He's their second leading scorer, third leading rebounder, gets the most blocks per game, and turns the ball over the most. He also shoots and makes the 2nd most 3pt shots, but at a 32.5% clip.

Over the course of the season, KU has been more reliant on Ogbaji for scoring than Texas has for any single player. Only Ogbaji and Braun average double figures in scoring, although 3 others average over 8pts per game played. 

I do feel like KU is the better team, but this is a good challenge for Texas to see if they can win with a step up in competition. I hope the FEC gives a decent home advantage, especially the students. I can hardly wait for this game to be played in the Derka Dome next year, where I feel like the difference in logistics and Chris Beard working his magic in community relations over the course of another offseason create an electric atmosphere for a number of games. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I don't think Remy Martin even played against Baylor. He is an X-factor for sure. Who knows if he's healthy enough to play though.

Yeah, there's a question about his health, his defense, and Self's trust in him to be on the floor. At the end of the day Self just obviously prefers Dajuan Harris. It feels pretty late in the season for that to change significantly, but we'll see.

1 minute ago, SL Xpress said:

Yeah, there's a question about his health, his defense, and Self's trust in him to be on the floor. At the end of the day Self just obviously prefers Dajuan Harris. It feels pretty late in the season for that to change significantly, but we'll see.

Probably just depends on the opponent and who's playing well. I think Self saw something against us and he played Martin more than he usually does in Lawrence, and was moderately successful, though he was pretty much entirely ineffective in Lubbock. I don't know if he presents the same matchup issue for Texas that he sort of did with us in that one game.

6 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

Over/Under 131.5
Imo if you like Texas’ chance to win tonight it MUST stay under the proposed total! I dont like their chances to “outscore” KU. Gotta control/contain them offensively to give themselves a legit chance to get the dub!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The uglier this game is, the better. 

• Like 1

Kansas hoops team and staff just walked through the hotel.  I know it's a basketball team, but holy shit---they look tall even for a basketball team.  I'm 6'1" and not even the equipment manager was at eye level with me.  The coaches conversation in the hallway sounded like the kinda shit Ted Lasso would be talking about on gameday with Beard and Kent.  

Let's pull off the upset!

Kansas is SOFT in the paint...McCormack and Lightfoot are not that good. Their strength comes from their perimeter guys also being able to rebound and run out. They score a lot because of those backcourt guys being able to pass, drive and shoot well. I'd give them all the shots int he paint they wanted if it means they don't make jumpers. Their bigs will turn it over a lot if you can bait them into pounding it down to them. I think the Horns win this one, rather easily, too. I see a 10+ point victory.

Kansas hoops team and staff just walked through the hotel.  I know it's a basketball team, but holy shit---they look tall even for a basketball team.  I'm 6'1" and not even the equipment manager was at eye level with me.  The coaches conversation in the hallway sounded like the kinda shit Ted Lasso would be talking about on gameday with Beard and Kent.  
Let's pull off the upset!

If there’s anything you can do to help your team’s chances tonight, I’m sure no one here would object/blame u for doing so…ijs !

Kansas is SOFT in the paint...McCormack and Lightfoot are not that good. Their strength comes from their perimeter guys also being able to rebound and run out. They score a lot because of those backcourt guys being able to pass, drive and shoot well. I'd give them all the shots int he paint they wanted if it means they don't make jumpers. Their bigs will turn it over a lot if you can bait them into pounding it down to them. I think the Horns win this one, rather easily, too. I see a 10+ point victory.

I like the way you see it playing it out…hope ur prediction is spot on!

3 minutes ago, Horns RD Standard said:

If there’s anything you can do to help your team’s chances tonight, I’m sure no one here would object/blame u for doing so…ijs emoji857.pngemoji1612.pngemoji243.png!

It's funny as soon as I hit submit on that, a young woman was walking around the lobby and coffee shop trying to find silverware for the takeout she walked back over to the hotel.  The hotel rep was being kinda of a shithead to her.  I was gonna stay out of it but I was thinking "they're our guests from out of state, there are three restaurants and room service in this hotel...be cool and go find her some."  So I walked her over to the Tejas dining room where they have silverware rolls and bottled water 'n shit and told her to just take whatever she needed.  She took off her mask to smile, and turns out she was smoking hot, at least for a basketball staffer. 

She's the "recruiting assistant" to Bill Self and because of this demented fucking website and Harsin...all I could think to say back to her as she was thanking me was "So uh Lexi, what kind of assistance do you provide to the coach, ta-hehehehe?"  And yes the KU team is having pre-game meal in there in a couple hours...all it would take to win this basketball game is not mess with the food, just take all the bottled beverages out of there and serve them City of Austin Tap Water.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

And yes the KU team is having pre-game meal in there in a couple hours...all it would take to win this basketball game is not mess with the food, just take all the bottled beverages out of there and serve them City of Austin Tap Water.  

get to work Dinesh Patel.

Edited by dcar00

I'm disturbed with myself that I actually walked through there again on the way to the pisser and looked up to see where the cameras were located.  

I swear I didn't use to be like this before Covid.

39 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Kansas -1.5 now. 

I’d take Kansas and lay the points. Just sayin….

still waiting on our first win over a team better than us this year. This would qualify imo. It’s sure not inconceivable but I think it’s right that they are favored and didn’t understand the opening line in our favor. 

2 hours ago, JWinTX said:

Both teams are soft inside. Our post players have good athleticism but you can almost bank on every 3rd or so paint possession that someone will get stripped and / or simply lose the ball somehow. Big enough sample size now that to know there is just some very poor ball security, some of which is just lacking strength. And the finishes inside are hit and miss. Some of it is simply lacking a level of explosiveness to finish over an opposing player, nome of our big guys have that. Another part of it is just hesitation and / or simply being timid around the goal. Our post players are good at 4-6 feet from the bucket, facing up and what not. In / right around the goal, it's a crap shoot with them for a variety of reasons.

Edited by Wally Pryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

2-1 against Kansas Baylor and tech would be orgasmic for me. 

I’d feel great about 1-2. I’d really prefer not to lose to Tech in Austin in front of their 5000+ attending fans. I don’t want to lose the other two, but in terms of expectations for this season, Texas can still accomplish everything I’d like to see them do with a loss to Baylor and Kansas at home.  

6 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I’d feel great about 1-2. I’d really prefer not to lose to Tech in Austin in front of their 5000+ attending fans. I don’t want to lose the other two, but in terms of expectations for this season, Texas can still accomplish everything I’d like to see them do with a loss to Baylor and Kansas at home.  

Definitely. I expect 1-2 in austin against those 3 and like you hope to see that be Tech if we can get only one. 
gun to my head I set the over/under on wins at 3.5 down the stretch and take the under. 
I’ve got us at 1-5 against the big 3 and 2-1 against TCU, at OU, at WVU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Definitely. I expect 1-2 in austin against those 3 and like you hope to see that be Tech if we can get only one. 
gun to my head I set the over/under on wins at 3.5 down the stretch and take the under. 
I’ve got us at 1-5 against the big 3 and 2-1 against TCU, at OU, at WVU. 

I d like to see that stretched a bit. I’m hoping for 10-8 conference record. But I’d take 9-9 and call it a day. 

https://kuathletics.com/staff/lexi-price/

Don't know how to post instagram photos, but she's definitely cute in real life---feel free to post pics from her social media.  Great body on her.  Kinda reminded me of Keely from Ted Lasso in a great plains farm country kinda way.  Plus Bill and his staff sounded like a Lasso conversation in the hallway earlier.  

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

https://kuathletics.com/staff/lexi-price/

Don't know how to post instagram photos, but she's definitely cute in real life---feel free to post pics from her social media.  Great body on her.  Kinda reminded me of Keely from Ted Lasso in a great plains farm country kinda way.  Plus Bill and his staff sounded like a Lasso conversation in the hallway earlier.  

And now we have her work phone. This should end well.

• Haha 1

Shit, I did not see that coming.  
"Yeah, nice guy and all...helped me get silverware and non-contaminated water...then a bunch of guys with Texas accents started leaving messages on my work VM with shit like 'Hey Sexy Lexi, that dude that helped out today at the hotel told me to call you and see if you're down to clown after the game..."  And I'm on the fucking security footage looting the closed restaurant with her. No good deed...

Ah well, fuck it.  If we pull off the upset...it's worth it.

Edited by Lobo

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

super excited about this one.  i posted it in the beard thread, but i have seen signs that this team may be figuring itself out over the past five games.  win this one and i think we could be in for a really fun february and march.

Nothing about Tech game - except for continued grit - suggests they’re very good. Yeah they aren’t losing to KSU at home over the last 5, but they just aren’t that good. We really need 2 of 5 versus KU, BU and Tech, so hope I’m wrong.