2022 Texas High School Football

texifornia

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

These blowouts aren’t happening because of enrollment numbers, they’re happening because regions 3 and 4 aren’t any good in some of these brackets. Both Carthage and Aledo played close games in the semifinals

I may be mistaken, but I believe this is the first year of the biannual realignment? Sometimes I think that can reveal various population shifts/growths/etc. that can influence competitiveness. It is not unusual for folks to give the side-eye to certain schools attendance numbers that get turned in, and that may happen, but there are also greater metro areas that can gain bodies by new campuses and the ensuing splits within districts from one high school to two. Katy Paetow HS was an example of that. We used to drive to the Houston area for soccer instead of Austin and sometimes the games would be near Katy. Every time we would go we would turn to each other--was that subdivision there last month? KP's enrollment snapshot may have reported one number, but I bet all one would have to do would be to look at lower grade levels to know which schools were going to explode (not throwing KP under the bus, that is just one that stood out because they beat CS last year when we watched the games on tv, and we had seen the growth for ourselves when traveling.

I did some checking just now though, and Brenham was in CS district prior to realignment. I can't imagine that they are a fast growth school like CS or Aledo. Last year, I think CS was in a different district and it included some different schools from this year as opposed to last (and that included Brenham). If the CS school is only what nine or so years old and Brenham still has one high school, but are on different trajectories, I still would imagine the student population of CS gained enough to be at the ceiling of the classification well prior to the reclassification due to that growth. After looking at the UIL numbers, they currently have CS listed at 2109, A&M Consolidated at 2106 and Brenham at 1557. But this year after realignment, CS is in a district with A&M Consolidated (2106), Cedar Park (2005), Georgetown (2052), Georgetown Eastview (2101), Leander (2202), Leander Glenn (1991), and Pflugerville Hendrickson (2144). To me, it kind of makes sense that Brenham and CS although somewhat close in distance are now in Div. 2 and Div 1 respectively. Brenham is not growing at the same pace as CS which started out as what? 3A when they opened ? and won a championship in 2017 the announcers said but were already playing 5A Div 2 and reaching the playoffs by 2014. Their coach was pretty good, but that rapid growth likely helped too. More people, more bodies. Crazy thing is that the districts for other sports don't usually shake out that way and the disparities can be greater.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

How new is this Vandergrift school? I don't really follow high school football hardcore but I've never heard of this school before this year. My fiance's sister and brother in law don't live far from that area looking it up. Their neighborhood is very close to Lake Travis HS.

I think it’s 10 or 11 years old. They’ve had some deep playoff runs, mostly in 5A. This is their first title game appearance. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've been stuck in the house still getting over that respiratory virus and watched and dozed during football yesterday. Some of the games were more fun to watch than others, but the most fun has been watching @Beau Vine and @Helobious picks go head to head.

Copy paste from Helo's post with bolded comments based on Beau's picks from a few pages back.

Helo Redemption week:
6AD1: NS beats Duncanville. Fully believe in Amador the Matador 
6AD2: Desoto beats Vandy. Too explosive on offense.
5AD1: Aledo beats CS, cause they’re Aledo. 

5AD2: PNG beats SOC like 14-7. SOC turnovers doom them. Also seems unwise to pick against a team with a Vietnamese running back. Beau Vine picked SOC.
4AD1: Boerne beats China spring. Greyhound destiny. Not today destiny. Beau Vine picked CS.
4AD2: Carthage beats Wimberley, because they’re Carthage  You both picked Carthage because who wouldn't? Draw.
3AD1: Brock beats Franklin in an upset. Beau Vine got the repeat win for Franklin.
3AD2: Poth beats Gunter, region 4 rise up Not so fast. Gunter got this one. Beau Vine picked Gunter.
2AD1: Refugio beats Hawthorne, south Texas power baby. It's actually Hawley and they won. Another point to Beau Vine
2AD2: Mart beats Albany. I’ve heard of Mart before Albany wins so they can be heard. Once again Beau.
1AD1: Abbott beats Westbrook. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life Westbrook took this one.
1AD2: Loraine beats Benjamin. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life. Benjamin for the win.

The last two games Beau Vine didn't select so I'll call them a draw.

Three games left. both picked Desoto and Aledo to win and the final game of the night they've got opposing picks. All in good fun fellows, but it's added an extra element to an otherwise crap weekend when I'm coughing up a lung so thanks.

Clearly you post a lot elsewhere but I don't remember you around here much.  This is the most fun, bullshit-free thread in the sports forum.  And I learn a lot about my home state, to boot.   This is a very fun post.  So, post more here.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Vandegrift split from Cedar Park in 2012. 

Yeah, Vandegrift's success has been at the direct detriment of Cedar Park's continued dynasty. However, I'm sure it has affected Lake Travis some, as the schools are very close to each other and Vandegrift added another great combination of football and academics to the vicinity.

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, Vandegrift's success has been at the direct detriment of Cedar Park's continued dynasty. However, I'm sure it has affected Lake Travis some, as the schools are very close to each other and Vandegrift added another great combination of football and academics to the vicinity.

It was crazy back when cedar park had kids from (west to east) Steiner ranch to parmer and brushy, and (south to north) 620 to 1431. That’s a giant footprint. Before CP there was only Leander highschool for the whole of LISD which has more area than AISD.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tree Fidy said:

Not sure what's worse - staring into the blinding sun in this POS called Jerry World or the referee’s unbearable lisp.  

How dare you insult the finest facility to host a state championship.   How dare you insult the judgement of the impartial UIL.   

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've been stuck in the house still getting over that respiratory virus and watched and dozed during football yesterday. Some of the games were more fun to watch than others, but the most fun has been watching @Beau Vine and @Helobious picks go head to head.

Copy paste from Helo's post with bolded comments based on Beau's picks from a few pages back.

Helo Redemption week:
6AD1: NS beats Duncanville. Fully believe in Amador the Matador 
6AD2: Desoto beats Vandy. Too explosive on offense.
5AD1: Aledo beats CS, cause they’re Aledo. 

5AD2: PNG beats SOC like 14-7. SOC turnovers doom them. Also seems unwise to pick against a team with a Vietnamese running back. Beau Vine picked SOC.
4AD1: Boerne beats China spring. Greyhound destiny. Not today destiny. Beau Vine picked CS.
4AD2: Carthage beats Wimberley, because they’re Carthage  You both picked Carthage because who wouldn't? Draw.
3AD1: Brock beats Franklin in an upset. Beau Vine got the repeat win for Franklin.
3AD2: Poth beats Gunter, region 4 rise up Not so fast. Gunter got this one. Beau Vine picked Gunter.
2AD1: Refugio beats Hawthorne, south Texas power baby. It's actually Hawley and they won. Another point to Beau Vine
2AD2: Mart beats Albany. I’ve heard of Mart before Albany wins so they can be heard. Once again Beau.
1AD1: Abbott beats Westbrook. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life Westbrook took this one.
1AD2: Loraine beats Benjamin. I have never heard of these towns/schools in my life. Benjamin for the win.

The last two games Beau Vine didn't select so I'll call them a draw.

Three games left. both picked Desoto and Aledo to win and the final game of the night they've got opposing picks. All in good fun fellows, but it's added an extra element to an otherwise crap weekend when I'm coughing up a lung so thanks.

Is this one of my socks?

• Haha 1

I'm sure it's covered somewhere so SIAP, but is there a way to watch this and Duncanville/NS on line somewhere?  I don't have Bally's

I watched Westlake/North Shore via YouTube that was essentially a guy in the stands with a phone. and a lady screaming "Oh my god" after every play.  I'd prefer not to put myself through that again if possible.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I'm sure it's covered somewhere so SIAP, but is there a way to watch this and Duncanville/NS on line somewhere?  I don't have Bally's

I watched Westlake/North Shore via YouTube that was essentially a guy in the stands with a phone. and a lady screaming "Oh my god" after every play.  I'd prefer not to put myself through that again if possible.

goto ballysports.com and sign up for the 7 day trial and cancel after the game.

• Hook 'Em 1