Texas Basketball 2022-23

shadow_operative

4 hours ago, Ignatius said:

So on the one hand this means nothing because it’s very early and this is only one game. However, based on this one game, it will be ‘disappointing’ if we’re not a top 8 team at a minimum? Which one is it?

It's both. They aren't mutually exclusive. I never said it means nothing, those were your words. I said we still have to see a lot so some idiot writing an article saying we're the number 1 team in the country after 3 games is dumb as shit. 

This game showed what they can do. 

The season will show if they are able to do it. 

7 hours ago, YGIFS said:

The thing I don't get about that game after having gone to the one in person last year is why they're doing it over Thanksgiving break when there'll hardly be any students around to attend?  I went last year, was the oldest guy there, and it was loud and fun as all hell.  There'll be some students around but not enough to fill the place up and make serious noise. 

This you? 

image.png.447a2fd7a8255883de580fc017932f3e.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I learned a new latin phrase today, one that used to be etched on the tombstones of dead romans, and i think it succinctly describes how chris beard ultimately feels about his time at TTU:

non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

it means, "I was not; I was; I am not; I do not care".

🤘🏼 

I see you fellow /r/todayilearned subscriber 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It's both. They aren't mutually exclusive. I never said it means nothing, those were your words. I said we still have to see a lot so some idiot writing an article saying we're the number 1 team in the country after 3 games is dumb as shit. 

This game showed what they can do. 

The season will show if they are able to do it. 

The weekly rankings are meant to reflect what the teams have accomplished so far in the season. It's not a predictor of where trams will end up at the end. Nobody in the country has a better win/resume than Texas so far.

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

The weekly rankings are meant to reflect what the teams have accomplished so far in the season. It's not a predictor of where trams will end up at the end. Nobody in the country has a better win/resume than Texas so far.

In that case at least give it a minimum 10 games before you start. This is as dumb as preseason football rankings like aggy at 6

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

In that case at least give it a minimum 10 games before you start. This is as dumb as preseason football rankings like aggy at 6

Pre- and early season rankings are mostly based on the roster, coaching staff, and the team's history. As the season goes on, you have more data points to evaluate the teams based on what they have done during the season.  Sure, early season polls are meaningless but it's fun for the fans.

17 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Who cares? In hoops, you have ~30 games to adjust the rankings over the course of the season, and I have yet to hear of a team missing out on the tourney because they were ranked too low in the first week of the season. 68 teams make the tourney and RPI is a bigger determinant for post season selection/seeding than the polls, so they are somewhat meaningless anyway and exist really just for fans entertainment.  Preseason rankings have been around as long as I have watched college hoops and I expect they will be around after I'm dead. The sport will be just fine.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:43 PM, shadow_operative said:

now we hope that Gonzaga is competitive with Kentucky, Baylor, and Bama. my guy says that BU takes care of the zags, but if they could win two out of those three that would make me feel even better about the win.

Zags up 78-69 on Kentucky with 2:39 left. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

-Game tonight at 7:30 vs Northern Arizona on the LHN.

-That Gonzaga team we obliterated beat Kentucky yesterday by 16.

-New polls come out today and we'll probably be third or fourth. 

I agree, I think the highest we could be is 3rd. We will be top 5 for sure, barring something stupid. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us get a few first place votes as well.

2 minutes ago, Hornstrader said:

Is Arterio going to be a 1 and done? If not we are probably looking at a starting backcourt this year of Hunter/Carr followed by AJ/Arterio next year. That would be pretty salty

Here's the way I think about it.

At this time last year who among Hunter, Carr, Rice, Morris did I think would be on this team this year? Maybe Chris Beard becomes the Lincoln Riley of transfer point guards?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Dillon? No chance in hell

We'll see. Mitchell has a similar skillset to Kendall Brown on last year's Baylor team. Extremely athletic without much discernable offensive skill. At this time last year Brown was mocking anywhere between 10 to 25 in the 1st round (pretty much the exact same as Mitchell is now). He ended up getting drafter with the 48th pick. I have no clue as to how the depth of this year's draft class compares to last year, but Mitchell is going to have to demonstrate more offensive skill to guarantee himself as a 1st round pick. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

10 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Is this Leon Black Classic something that we'll do every year in lieu of playing in holiday tournaments?

I thought it was announced we’d be playing in some high profile tournament in 2023, but I can’t find that info.

Some prominent fans online sure are upset at Beard electing to create this “tournament” instead of Texas playing in one of the more high profile tournaments this time of year.

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I thought it was announced we’d be playing in some high profile tournament in 2023, but I can’t find that info.

Some prominent fans online sure are upset at Beard electing to create this “tournament” instead of Texas playing in one of the more high profile tournaments this time of year.

People really care that much?

I mean, Black died last year in October, so too late to put together a tournament in his honor.  I don't see the big damn deal.  We also play Gonzaga, Creighton and Illinois, so it's not like we loaded up on cream puffs. 

I also recall we were listed in a 2023 tournament, but don't remember which one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I mean, Black died last year in October, so too late to put together a tournament in his honor.  I don't see the big damn deal.  We also play Gonzaga, Creighton and Illinois, so it's not like we loaded up on cream puffs. 

I also recall we were listed in a 2023 tournament, but don't remember which one. 

Gagree. 

These people on social were also complaining about the Beard hire so it could be just bitching to be bitching. 

I swore it was one of the tournaments in NYC that we are playing in for 2023, but damn I can’t find shit on it. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I hear you.  I just enjoy watching us play quality completion during this time of year.  We typically have games like the ones you referenced then on top of them play like a North Carolina and Indiana level team in a tournament. And maybe a mid tier team like a Belmont as well.  The Gonzaga game was actually a payback game because it was canceled during the covid season.  The Creighton game is part of the Big East/ Big 12 match-up. We lucked out in getting a quality opponent for  that match-up this year.  There was a tournament a few years ago where we played Butler, Duke,  and Gonzaga in back to back to back games along with nonconference games against the likes of Michigan and Alabama as well as a mid tier SEC school for our Big12/ SEC match-up. Now that we have a real coach I'm hopeful that we get those same intriguing match ups again in the future.  

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Not a tournament, but I'll be enjoying the Jimmy V Classic from my seat in MSG on 12/6/22.

Maybe those twats should respect UT history if they're gonna pretend to be fans.

1 minute ago, CheesePie said:

The Illinois game is part of a tournament if I’m not mistaken. Duke and Iowa being the other side of the bracket. 

Nope. Just two one-off games.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

I initially thought the Leon Black tournament was a one off thing last season to honor coach Black,  but then we did it again this year so I was curious whether or not it would become a permanent thing.  There are worthwhile positives to playing games in regions of the state that don't get to see the Horns (El Paso last year and RGV this year) so I'm not wholly against it.  I just don't want it to totally replace the holiday tournament schedule we typically get every couple of years around this time of the year.