Dan doubling down on dumbassery

Winona's Big Orange Bevo

51 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

This is disgusting.  Dan Patrick is damned determined to make Texas Universities complete jokes.

If you want to kill a state's economic future, passing laws turning its institutions of higher ed into right wing madrassas is a damned good way to do so.

Someday, if we're lucky, maybe UT will rank up there with Liberty University!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you want to kill a state's economic future, passing laws turning its institutions of higher ed into right wing madrassas is a damned good way to do so.

Someday, if we're lucky, maybe UT will rank up there with Liberty University!

Universities are supposed to be environments that encourage/foster conversation on a wide variety of topics. Just because UT has a class  (HIS 362D Introduction to the Holocaust) on the holocaust doesn't mean UT endorses the holocaust. Stifling academic conversation because it doesnt align with you political parties agenda is fucked up. This state is fucked up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

It wouldn't be just for this reason, but this kind of shit is why I feel my time in Texas is coming to an end. Texas is rapidly becoming the biggest ideological shithole in the country, and that's saying something. A 268,597 mi² Mar-a-Lago. 

I feel ya dude. I’m sick of this state and what Austin has become. But I’m stayin. Rebuilding my Texas. Sigh….enjoying my Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm a tenured professor, and I'll say it -- I would have done better without tenure.  Because of salary inversion, I'm the lowest-paid professor in my department, even though I have been there longest.  Tenure drastically cuts job turnover and salaries.  

Without tenure, I probably would have hit the job market as soon as we started hiring new PhDs at higher salaries than mine.  

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Texas higher education has been making some considerable strides, particularly the UT System and here comes Dan Patrick from Maryland saying "Hold my beer."

Texas may as well invite schools from across the country to cream skim the best and brightest from the state’s universities.

Edited by Satchel
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

It wouldn't be just for this reason, but this kind of shit is why I feel my time in Texas is coming to an end. Texas is rapidly becoming the biggest ideological shithole in the country, and that's saying something. A 268,597 mi² Mar-a-Lago. 

I struggle with this on a daily basis living in Oklahoma, and to make it worse, my alternative for years was moving back to Texas, and that's looking like not so good an alternative anymore (not just the politics but the absurd cost of living increases over the last decade in Austin and Dallas where I would probably end up). At least we don't have bounties on abortion doctors, yet at least. We did let yet another death row inmate convulse to death for over 45 minutes by using whatever drug combination was available. Absolute savagery, I don't care what the convict did to earn the sentence. If you guys follow up with this one, I'm sure we'll quickly follow, and I'll probably pull the trigger and gtfo.

Edited by 'stache

It really is depressing when one considers that millions of Patrick’s supporters have no idea what tenure is:

At the conference, Patrick said he will be working on a bill to ban tenure for all new professor hires and allow universities to revoke tenure for professors who teach critical race theory, which he said should be grounds for firing.

According to Lt. Gov. Patrick, who is currently amid a campaign for reelection, the Texas Legislature has the ability to determine curriculums in school because they are elected by the people.

Patrick argued that the teaching of critical race theory suggests that white people are racist and that people of color are victims. He added that he stood with Black people during the time of segregation and that Americans should remember those times, but he believes critical race theory divides people and teaches them that they are either racist or a victim, which he says is inaccurate.

Surely, UT faculty can’t be this naive:

“I will not stand by and let looney Marxist UT professors poison the minds of young students with Critical Race Theory,” Patrick wrote on the social media platform Twitter. “We banned it in publicly funded K-12 and we will ban it in publicly funded higher ed. That’s why we created the Liberty Institute at UT.”

…Either the lieutenant governor is just speaking out of school, or he’s reinforcing the very narrative that has provoked individual concerns last fall,” Texas law professor Steve Vladeck told The Texas Tribune. “It’s incumbent upon the university to provide a full-throated update and … explain to faculty members, to whom assurances were made in September, why the lieutenant governor is wrong. Or if he isn’t, why that attitude is acceptable?”

Domino Perez, the president of UT-Austin’s Faculty Council, also said the lieutenant governor’s tweet contradicted what faculty members have been told about the new center.

“We were told that the idea for the institute originated with faculty on campus,” she told The Texas Tribune.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

I was thinking this UT think tank would be like Hoover at Stanford and have legitimate academics but no we will definitely end up with a Creation museum with guest speakers Nailin Palin.

The Hoover Institute doesn't really have any legitimate academics either. Just people who pretend to be.

51 minutes ago, Satchel said:

“I will not stand by and let looney Marxist UT professors poison the minds of young students with Critical Race Theory,” Patrick wrote on the social media platform Twitter. “We banned it in publicly funded K-12 and we will ban it in publicly funded higher ed. That’s why we created the Liberty Institute at UT.”

…Either the lieutenant governor is just speaking out of school, or he’s reinforcing the very narrative that has provoked individual concerns last fall,” Texas law professor Steve Vladeck told The Texas Tribune. “It’s incumbent upon the university to provide a full-throated update and … explain to faculty members, to whom assurances were made in September, why the lieutenant governor is wrong. Or if he isn’t, why that attitude is acceptable?”

Domino Perez, the president of UT-Austin’s Faculty Council, also said the lieutenant governor’s tweet contradicted what faculty members have been told about the new center.

“We were told that the idea for the institute originated with faculty on campus,” she told The Texas Tribune.

The phrase "full-throated" always makes me cringe. So much worse than "moist."

1 hour ago, F250 said:

I was thinking this UT think tank would be like Hoover at Stanford and have legitimate academics but no we will definitely end up with a Creation museum with guest speakers Nailin Palin.

I could get behind Lisa Ann

1 hour ago, F250 said:

Don't assume it'll be that rock-bottom. Slap up some paintings of fox hunts, and put a harpsichord in the photo behind some dude in a tweed jacket, and you can be like Auburn with the Mises Institute.

Don't worry about buying actual gold. They don't have any either. But don't skimp on the fox-hunting paintings and harpsichord. In a pinch you can settle for prints and a piano. Nobody will actually play the piano. They'll sit in front of it while they talk to the camera. Makes em aristocratic.

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm a tenured professor, and I'll say it -- I would have done better without tenure.  Because of salary inversion, I'm the lowest-paid professor in my department, even though I have been there longest.  Tenure drastically cuts job turnover and salaries.  

Without tenure, I probably would have hit the job market as soon as we started hiring new PhDs at higher salaries than mine.  

Why would tenure keep you from leaving if you can get paid in full in the private sector?  Serious question because the only perk of tenure I’ve heard about is the “can’t get fired” part.  Are there other advantages?

40 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Why would tenure keep you from leaving if you can get paid in full in the private sector?  Serious question because the only perk of tenure I’ve heard about is the “can’t get fired” part.  Are there other advantages?

You can get fired with tenure, it is just more red tape and hoops. 

44 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Lifetime job security has a hell of a pull.

12 hours ago, Blotto said:

As things stand today, wife and I are out as soon as the youngest (8th grade) graduates HS.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, 'stache said:

I struggle with this on a daily basis living in Oklahoma, and to make it worse, my alternative for years was moving back to Texas, and that's looking like not so good an alternative anymore (not just the politics but the absurd cost of living increases over the last decade in Austin and Dallas where I would probably end up). At least we don't have bounties on abortion doctors, yet at least. We did let yet another death row inmate convulse to death for over 45 minutes by using whatever drug combination was available. Absolute savagery, I don't care what the convict did to earn the sentence. If you guys follow up with this one, I'm sure we'll quickly follow, and I'll probably pull the trigger and gtfo.

At least you have access to marijuana and gambling. 

16 hours ago, Satchel said:

Texas may as well invite schools from across the country to cream skim the best and brightest from the state’s universities.

Dan Patrick just raised the tuition I'll have to pay for my kids to go to college in a couple of years, as demand in other states is about to rise.

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

Dan won’t be satisfied until UT makes this list:

https://www.collegevaluesonline.com/features/colleges-young-republicans/

Baylor, Auburn, Clemson and a bunch of places you've never heard of.

15 hours ago, Satchel said:

A lot of people are saying that.

Edited by Bullneck

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Baylor, Auburn, Clemson and a bunch of places you've never heard of.

I dunno... Christendom College sounds like a place where your kid would emerge knowing the Latin Mass, how to train a war horse, and the best mace to use for caving in Saracen skulls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1