Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Your assumption is misplaced.

With the support of a Fifth Column within the US, Putin still has a chance of not just surviving, but winning.  If the country is controlled by a party that will HELP Putin (and they will -- don't be fooled by supposed GQP "support" of Ukraine at present), then he wins, and wins big.  He made a huge bet.  Yes, he may lose it, ultimately....but he also still has a chance to win, and if he does, he wins EVERYTHING.

Ok I'll indulge you for a bit.

How does any of this address the biggest problem that Putin is facing, which is the lack of men and material to achieve any objectives? 

Where is that going to come from? 

Do you expect a complete reversal of policy that results in military assistance to Russia? 

Because that's the only way he gets out of this at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

How does any of this address the biggest problem that Putin is facing, which is the lack of men and material to achieve any objectives? 

Do you expect a complete reversal of policy that results in military assistance to Russia

If the GOP takes the House or Senate? Yes, absolutely.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, Goredho said:

No, we both walked away unscathed.  It just struck me how sure he was that he had the true picture of reality.  I was equally sure he didn’t and I did. We both thought the other one was crazy.  And it’s correct in that one of us is fucking looney tunes.  Neither of us has directly observed anything we were arguing.  We both are reliant on curated information from other sources.

What keeps me confident in my own sanity is that I tend to get that information from sources that kept the public reasonably informed well back into the 20th century.  Back before there was the deluge of bullshit that made any wrong opinion credible.  This guy would dismiss it as just mainstream media lies.

If the “mainstream” is so fucking awful, why are these alt-truthers so dead set on reversing course to a bygone time when there was only a mainstream?  If the latter half of the 20th century was America’s Camelot, why reject, undermine, degrade and destroy the institutions that collectively made it so?

Lol I was catching up on this thread this morning and came across my own post. I don't even remember making it. Careful friends; Ambien and red wine do not mix. (YMMV)

But seriously you should at least make him binge watch "Emily in Paris" or something

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Republicans accounted for the only votes against a $40 billion aid package in the spring.

Nearly 60 House members and 11 senators opposed the legislation, citing the need for more oversight of how the money is spent and what weapons and equipment the U.S. is sending overseas.

Rep. Michael McCaul, the ranking member on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he will be leading that effort to provide more oversight of how the Ukraine money is spent if the GOP does win the majority next month.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the party that brought you the Iraq Invasion where pallets of hundred dollar bills were sent to that country and vanished. The accounting company supposedly monitoring the transactions was little more than a PO Box. From the Guardian.

The US flew nearly $12bn in shrink-wrapped $100 bills into Iraq, then distributed the cash with no proper control over who was receiving it and how it was being spent.

The staggering scale of the biggest transfer of cash in the history of the Federal Reserve has been graphically laid bare by a US congressional committee.

To oversee the expenditure the CPA was supposed to appoint an independent certified public accounting firm. "Instead the CPA hired an obscure consulting firm called North Star Consultants Inc. The firm was so small that it reportedly operates out of a private home in San Diego." Mr Bowen found that the company "did not perform a review of internal controls as required by the contract".

A Vanity Fair article reported that the "private home in San Diego" was an address used by numerous shady organizations. 

Throw in Haliburton's (Cheney had sat on the board of directors) huge windfall from no-bid contracts, and you're talking about some serious graft.

Yea, these guys have lots of credibility when it comes to accountability. Fuck the GЯP. Fuck the mindless idiots following their hate to support this foul criminal organization.

Edited by RomaVicta

Do you expect a complete reversal of policy that results in military assistance to Russia? 
What makes me feel better is the fact that if the US midterms bring a pro Russia GOP to the political and military situation, while a setback of shorts to Ukraine’s eventual victory, I think that Poland and Finland and Sweden alone will continue to support Ukraine with enough weapons to keep Russia from taking Ukraine. The new NATO allies and the Baltic states are under no delusions about the intent of Russia in the future if Russia’s attack on Ukraine is successful. Their interest in not seeing a Russian victory is exponentially greater than America‘s proxy war with Russia interest.  It could conceivably result in some sort of, smaller NATO-like pact between those countries if United States withdraws from NATO like Trump and the GOP want.  
Those neighboring countries who know Russia best are not going to let Ukraine fall. they simply cannot allow it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Every day, Russia seems bent on proving that they are actually an evil would-be empire. War crimes committed by soldiers or the strategy of terror bombing civilians dispose me to see them for the enemy they are.

Then you have their actions against this country's faith in democracy through trying to affect elections and bribe politicians.

Russia is an enemy. Supporting Ukraine is, as stated above by Gored Ho, a very efficient way to reduce Russia's strength.

Ukraine is distinct among the polities we usually support in our proxy wars; they want this fight and believe in their cause. When the war ends, we won't have stage an election where our puppet is elected while we pat ourselves on the back. "Let freedom reign!"

For the first time since overthrowing the Taliban and busting up Al Qaida, we can actually feel pretty good about this war. We're bleeding an enemy and supporting a real country defending its sovereignty. 

GЯP: Well let's fuck this up right away!

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

If the GOP takes the House or Senate? Yes, absolutely.

That doesn’t mean Putin can pull soldiers and new tanks and missiles out of thin air.  Russia is grabbing random men off the streets and bringing 60 year old tanks out of storage and buying drones from Iran,   They are 100% fucked,

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the party that brought you the Iraq Invasion where pallets of hundred dollar bills were sent to that country and vanished. 

But you see, that GOP was, you know, against dictatorships and the like.  

Today's breed welcomes, nay, craves authoritarian governments, despots, brutal regimes and whatnot.

If Sadaam Hussein were alive and in control of Iraq today, he would be welcomed to speak at CPAC.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-last-hope-to-win-in-ukraine-is-a-gop-victory-in-november

Indeed, when you look at the progress made from Putin’s efforts to use active measures to subvert Western democracies (in part by winning support within them) and compare it to his abject failures as a military strategist in Ukraine, it is easy to draw the conclusion that the former KGB lieutenant colonel should have stuck to the intel game.

That said, given the GOP’s history of support for Putin, and the rumblings that Republican leaders may seek to dial back our aid for Ukraine at precisely the wrong moment—it’s entirely possible that Putin may get the last laugh, thanks in great part to having opened that second front in the West.

My gut is that Ukraine aid will continue to flow but that the GOP will use it to extract big time concessions elsewhere and Biden will have to choose between succeeding in our biggest foreign policy test in decades and abandoning domestic priorities. We might see a reduction in humanitarian aid but the guns will likely keep flowing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/putins-last-hope-to-win-in-ukraine-is-a-gop-victory-in-november

My gut is that Ukraine aid will continue to flow but that the GOP will use it to extract big time concessions elsewhere and Biden will have to choose between succeeding in our biggest foreign policy test in decades and abandoning domestic priorities. We might see a reduction in humanitarian aid but the guns will likely keep flowing. 

im curious how much putin/russia is dumping into R candidates 

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I don’t think defense contractors will allow the Rs to fuck with this.  We are starting production lines back up, and plenty of those are in red states.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

moscow mitch is less-moscowy these days. wonder what's up.

He's got to be furious with Trump and the rest of the MAGAts for soaking up all the money and not dispensing it to candidates. That and Trump endorsed candidates are the worst of the worst and have little to no chance in areas that should be competitive. 

• Hook 'Em 2

People I know: AHB, you aren’t a Republican any more, so that means you’re a Democrat!

Me: Nope

People: But if you’re not a Republican, why aren’t you a Democrat?

Me:  Points to @The Dog ‘s post above.

(okay, that’s just one of many reasons, but people like this are going to side with the Republicans who were paid off by the Russians to side with Russia and try and fuck things up for Ukraine.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

moscow mitch is less-moscowy these days. wonder what's up.

Lots of defense dollars flow through Kentucky as well as into Mitch’s (and the GOP’s) campaign coffers.

This is one thing Trump and his followers in Congress seem to be too fucking stupid to get - those dollars can just as easily flow into the coffers of Democrats.  Mitch knows this all too well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/22/2022 at 6:28 PM, Brisketexan said:

Of course they are. And they’re not wrong. Ukraine needs to win this before the new GQP congress starts. They HAVE to win it before the Trump-MTG ticket wins in 24, as they will absolutely order US troops to assist the Russian invaders.

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

4 hours ago, The Dog said:

Only 2 errant posts from being such a great sequence. 

On 10/19/2022 at 2:15 PM, atomheartbevo said:

That doesn’t mean Putin can pull soldiers and new tanks and missiles out of thin air.  Russia is grabbing random men off the streets and bringing 60 year old tanks out of storage and buying drones from Iran,   They are 100% fucked,

Has anybody figured out why Republicans want Putin to win? Don’t they know he’s opposed to democracies of any kind?

8 hours ago, The Dog said:

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

People I know: AHB, you aren’t a Republican any more, so that means you’re a Democrat!

Me: Nope

People: But if you’re not a Republican, why aren’t you a Democrat?

Me:  Points to @The Dog ‘s post above.

(okay, that’s just one of many reasons, but people like this are going to side with the Republicans who were paid off by the Russians to side with Russia and try and fuck things up for Ukraine.)

Two quotes from the Washington Post link provided above:

In the letter, the 30 Democrats led by Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, call on Biden to pair the unprecedented economic and military support the United States is providing Ukraine with a “proactive diplomatic push, redoubling efforts to seek a realistic framework for a cease fire.”

“Let me be clear: we are united as Democrats in our unequivocal commitment to supporting Ukraine in their fight for their democracy and freedom in the face of the illegal and outrageous Russian invasion,” Jayapal said. “Diplomacy is an important tool that can save lives — but it is just one tool.”

As usual, most people don't read past the lead. You may not agree with the letter. I may not agree with the letter, but it's not capitulation. It also in no way suggests lessening support for Ukraine.

I've never expected GOPs wise enough to abandon the hate engine and Trumpism to turn into Dems. I'm not crazy about them myself. Still, give the different facets of the party a fair hearing.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Two quotes from the Washington Post link provided above:

As usual, most people don't read past the lead. You may not agree with the letter. I may not agree with the letter, but it's not capitulation. It also in no way suggests lessening support for Ukraine.

I've never expected GOPs wise enough to abandon the hate engine and Trumpism to turn into Dems. I'm not crazy about them myself. Still, give the different facets of the party a fair hearing.

Why read the letter when you can just post a snarky tweet that tells people you didn't read the letter?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/10/24/biden-ukraine-liberals/

Fuck these "liberal" dems.  Appeasers. 

In the letter, the 30 Democrats led by Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, call on Biden to pair the unprecedented economic and military support the United States is providing Ukraine with a “proactive diplomatic push, redoubling efforts to seek a realistic framework for a cease fire.”

The Democrats are specifically concerned that the United States is not engaging in regular dialogue with Russia as part of its effort to end a protracted war that has caused thousands of deaths and displaced 13 million people. The Biden administration has been adamant that it is up to Kyiv whether and when to negotiate with Russia, arguing that Ukrainians as a free people should decide their fate.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Another one who didn’t read past the headline, huh?

Y’all bitch and bitch and bitch about “pussy Dems” and “DEMOCRATS CAN’T MESSAGE!” and then fall for right wing both sides dishonest framing.

Are they or are they not asking for Biden to negotiate w/ Putin while Russia is on Ukrainian land?  Fuck that.  Push those evil cunts out. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

I differ slightly in that the starting point is whatever the Ukrainians want it to be. We can take a lead in diplomacy as long as the UKA wants to stop fighting. 

To attempt to lead a peace talk when the people actually dying don’t want it, is some asinine bullshit. The letter is fucking dumb. They say the UKA talks should be led by UKA but at the same time we give money so let’s lead some talks.  The letter is pointless political double speak and a divisive waste of time considering when it is being publicly aired. Fuck those 30 legislators. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Are they or are they not asking for Biden to negotiate w/ Putin while Russia is on Ukrainian land?  Fuck that.  Push those evil cunts out. 

They are. They mainly want to limit killing and destruction. They don't say that Russia is entitled to any part of Ukraine. They don't advocate any lessening of military support for Ukraine.

It's a valid position. Frankly, I don't know any details about Biden's stance of not doing so. That means that I don't have a full understanding of that position and can't really tell if doing as the letter asks, mere direct contact, is a bad idea.

Lastly, the letter does not say to exclude Zelensky from the process as either a participant or someone whose approval is necessary for any possible agreement.

It's not a fucking football game or superhero movie. It's fucking serious business. "Push those evil cunts out!" is a satisfying thing to say when the missiles aren't landing in your city and the non-combatant men in your family aren't captives in "filtration camps" where deprivation and torture are common.

If a Russian army is pinned against a river and in danger of complete destruction, Putin may go with tactical nukes. We would if that was all that was left as an option. I would. You don't think a direct line might not be a good idea in that case?

It's subtle the array of possibilities in the fog of war. I have no sympathy for the Russian army or Putin. I like bleeding them white. I won't let blood lust cloud my mind or eyes from being open.

51 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

What a stupid letter.  I wonder which side was more enthused to read that we should more aggressively prioritizing diplomatic solutions, the occupying force or the ones that have the military momentum.  

To what letter do you refer?

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1