Ukraine War

BehoId, The Underminer!

It's so weird that modern warfare includes a strong Twitter game:

The Ukrainian Postal Service will issue stamps featuring the damaged bridge, its CEO said Saturday.

In images he shared on Twitter, the stamps would feature two figures resembling Hollywood stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, standing on what appears to be a damaged bridge in a pose that recalls the actors’ arms-locked embrace from the 1997 film “Titanic.”

There was also a cargo train that dun blowed up in Eastern Ukraine.  Much of the Russian military logistics is dependent on rail.  Russia is losing the ability to resupply while trying to defend against the Ukrainian counter-offensive.    Happy fucking birthday Vlad. 

Meanwhile, a cargo train in Ilovaisk in the Russian-occupied Donetsk region was hit by a “powerful explosion” Saturday morning, according to the adviser to Mariupol Mayor Petro Andrushenko.

“Not only Crimea. Not only fuel tanks. There is also a cargo train in Ilovaisk. Locals report a rather powerful explosion and subsequent detonation at night. The occupiers now have big problems with supplies from both sides,” Andrushenko said.

CNN link for both quotes. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/8/2022 at 6:20 AM, Slacks said:

Figure out how to get the people paid from it and they'll go green.... 

On 10/8/2022 at 6:26 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

We know how but there are vested interests paying a lot of money to support the status quo. 

Climate change is an important topic, which is why it has its own thread.  I will respond to slack in that thread. 

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No, that’s an oversimplification. But it’s not exactly wrong.

I’m not convinced you understand the subject. What is your understanding on the subject of anthropogenic global warming. Please spell it out for us. 

Right.  That's bad.  Okay.  All right.    Important safety tip.   Thanks, Egon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Don't have a link but I read an opinion piece the bridge explosion could be a major shift for one reason: Putin can proclaim that an act of terrorism. That could shift their internal stance to protecting Russia from terrorism which requires the forcible removal of Ukraine leadership. 

oh please. this is war and he is currently bombing Kiev. this is a bad take

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Don't have a link but I read an opinion piece the bridge explosion could be a major shift for one reason: Putin can proclaim that an act of terrorism. That could shift their internal stance to protecting Russia from terrorism which requires the forcible removal of Ukraine leadership. 

I thought it was interesting that the story about the car bomb assassination story, that it was approved by some level in the Ukrainian government, got no traction. Frankly, we don’t give a shit. Assassination via car bomb or guided missile really is just a difference pushed by those with a lot of guided missile. I don’t care how they blew up a bridge.

That doesn’t mean there are no holds barred. Similarly, if Al Queda had killed 3000+ civilians with targeted guided missiles, it would still be terrorism.

So my coworker is convinced we are days or weeks away from a hot WW3.  I haven't been paying much attention lately.  Is my buddy just leaning into his tin foil hat too much?

Probably yes. Russia hasn’t changed its nuclear posture so we’ve got that going for us. Which is nice.

I don’t see us climbing the escalation ladder just yet. Who knows, though?

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

Probably yes. Russia hasn’t changed its nuclear posture so we’ve got that going for us. Which is nice.

I don’t see us climbing the escalation ladder just yet. Who knows, though?

I tend to think Russia is full of shit.  I mean, look at their army that was supposed to be all big and bad and then they come out with like 40 year old tanks.  I know we can't discount their nuclear ability, but I'm skeptical they could even get a bird in the air, let alone an accurate one.  I have to think we out-tech the shit out of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So my coworker is convinced we are days or weeks away from a hot WW3.  I haven't been paying much attention lately.  Is my buddy just leaning into his tin foil hat too much?

Your buddy is a millennial who didn’t live through the Cold War and wasn’t traumatized as a kid by ABC showing ‘The Day After’, which I got to watch in elementary school (I still don’t know what the fuck the school was thinking).

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Your buddy is a millennial who didn’t live through the Cold War and wasn’t traumatized as a kid by ABC showing ‘The Day After’, which I got to watch in elementary school (I still don’t know what the fuck the school was thinking).

Ha, he's actually 55.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope not, but before I sent my kid back to Scotland I gave her a roll of emergency potassium iodide tablets, and when I go visit her I’m going to take some with me. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I hope not, but before I sent my kid back to Scotland I gave her a roll of emergency potassium iodide tablets, and when I go visit her I’m going to take some with me. 

Dammit….I actually thought of that myself, then said “nah, that’s paranoid”….and am now kicking myself. Got two kids in fallout range. May look to see about ordering some for delivery over there.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Dammit….I actually thought of that myself, then said “nah, that’s paranoid”….and am now kicking myself. Got two kids in fallout range. May look to see about ordering some for delivery over there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMWFthd_6b3L255gCCVDc

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

did you buy off amazon ?

Yep

• Hook 'Em 1

Was shooting the shit with an acquaintance today and he started talking about our meddling in Russian affairs.  I gathered he was conservative, but we never talked anything political before.  It quickly went off the rails with him proclaiming that Russia is more American than America anymore.  He also offered that if the shit really hit the fan here in the US, he might see if he could move to Russia.  How great a leader Putin is and how life there is like how it was under Reagan here.  I laughed, and it wasn’t well received.  He was serious, I couldn’t believe he could be, and he was annoyed I didn’t take what he had to say seriously.

The conversation ended with us both un-budged and probably thinking less of the other one.  I didn’t ask, but I wonder where he’s getting this view of a Russian utopia from?

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

Was shooting the shit with an acquaintance today and he started talking about our meddling in Russian affairs.  I gathered he was conservative, but we never talked anything political before.  It quickly went off the rails with him proclaiming that Russia is more American than America anymore.  He also offered that if the shit really hit the fan here in the US, he might see if he could move to Russia.  How great a leader Putin is and how life there is like how it was under Reagan here.  I laughed, and it wasn’t well received.  He was serious, I couldn’t believe he could be, and he was annoyed I didn’t take what he had to say seriously.

The conversation ended with us both un-budged and probably thinking less of the other one.  I didn’t ask, but I wonder where he’s getting this view of a Russian utopia from?

You should ask him how he feels about Russian gun control laws.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 1:03 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh please. this is war and he is currently bombing Kiev. this is a bad take

Yep, there's no controlled anything.  Russians are straight up attacking.  Have no choice now but to attack back--send missiles to Moscow.  It's a war--there's only losing everything if you fight to only protect your borders because there's no risk to Russia if they continuously send missiles, and you lose everything if you attack.  May as well attack.  Putin maybe crazy but those around him aren't. 

Edited by Mdhorn

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

You should ask him how he feels about Russian gun control laws.  

well seems they are real lax if you are a convict willing to go fight in the Ukraine. Here ya go Yuri, have an AK. Oh, and your officers give zero fucks about you, so go ahead, go AWOL and head back to the motherland. 

Or a Chechen willing to fight for Putin's pet in the Caucus.

So did you stab him in his windpipe with a deconstructed pen and quietly expel his remaining breath by immobilizing his diaghram? Out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Walser said:

So did you stab him in his windpipe with a deconstructed pen and quietly expel his remaining breath by immobilizing his diaghram? Out of curiosity.

25 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It’d be a lot cooler if he did. 

16 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

liJerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

reminded me of this. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Walser said:

No, we both walked away unscathed.  It just struck me how sure he was that he had the true picture of reality.  I was equally sure he didn’t and I did. We both thought the other one was crazy.  And it’s correct in that one of us is fucking looney tunes.  Neither of us has directly observed anything we were arguing.  We both are reliant on curated information from other sources.

What keeps me confident in my own sanity is that I tend to get that information from sources that kept the public reasonably informed well back into the 20th century.  Back before there was the deluge of bullshit that made any wrong opinion credible.  This guy would dismiss it as just mainstream media lies.

If the “mainstream” is so fucking awful, why are these alt-truthers so dead set on reversing course to a bygone time when there was only a mainstream?  If the latter half of the 20th century was America’s Camelot, why reject, undermine, degrade and destroy the institutions that collectively made it so?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Really need to wrap this up before we swing around and put our money towards backing Russia.

McCarthy: No 'blank check' for Ukraine if GOP wins majority

FARNOUSH AMIRI and KEVIN FREKING
Tue, October 18, 2022 at 3:11 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy warned Tuesday that Republicans will not write a “blank check” for Ukraine if they win back the House majority, reflecting his party's growing skepticism about financial support for Kyiv as it battles Russia's invasion.

“I think people are gonna be sitting in a recession and they’re not going to write a blank check to Ukraine," McCarthy told Punchbowl News. “They just won’t do it. … It’s not a free blank check.”

The comments from McCarthy, who is in line to become speaker if Republicans win the House, raised fresh questions about the resiliency of America's support for Ukraine as a growing number of Republicans, particularly those aligned with Donald Trump's “America First” approach, question the need for federal spending abroad at a time of record-high inflation at home.

Since Russia launched its invasion in February, Congress has approved tens of billions in emergency security and humanitarian assistance for Ukraine, while the Biden administration has shipped billions worth of weapons and equipment from military inventories.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre sidestepped Tuesday afternoon when asked about McCarthy's comments. She instead thanked congressional leaders for bipartisan work to “support Ukraine to defend itself from Russia’s war crimes and atrocities.”

“We will continue to work with Congress and continue to monitor those conversations on these efforts and support Ukraine as long as it takes,” she said. “We are going to keep that promise that we’re making to the brave Ukrainians who are fighting every day, to fight for their freedom and their democracy.”

In private, GOP lawmakers who support aid to Ukraine say there could be an opportunity to pass one more tranche in an end-of-year spending package, before Republicans potentially take control in the next Congress.

Last month, lawmakers approved about $12.3 billion in Ukraine-related aid as part of a bill that finances the federal government through Dec. 16. The money included aid for the Ukrainian military as well as money to help the country's government provide basic services to its citizens.

That comes on top of more than $50 billion provided in two previous bills.

Financial support for Ukraine garnered strong bipartisan support in the Senate and the House after Russia's invasion in the spring. In the Senate, GOP leader Mitch McConnell and Richard Shelby, the lead Republican on the Senate Appropriations Committee, were early and consistent voices for Ukraine aid. But conservative opposition was present from the start. Republicans accounted for the only votes against a $40 billion aid package in the spring.

Nearly 60 House members and 11 senators opposed the legislation, citing the need for more oversight of how the money is spent and what weapons and equipment the U.S. is sending overseas.

Rep. Michael McCaul, the ranking member on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he will be leading that effort to provide more oversight of how the Ukraine money is spent if the GOP does win the majority next month.

“I do think you have broad bipartisan support for what’s happening in Ukraine, but I think you’ll see, if we get the majority, more oversight and accountability in terms of the funding and where the money’s going, and I think the American taxpayers deserve that,” the Texas Republican told Bloomberg Business on Tuesday.

International allies are also watching the debate on Capitol Hill closely. Estonian Ambassador to the U.S. Kristjan Prikk said he’d received assurances from members of both parties that there is “strong core support” for Ukraine assistance to continue, no matter which party wins the election.

“Certainly both parties have members who have doubted if the assistance is proportional, whether it’s been necessary, but they did not constitute the majority or core,” Prikk said Tuesday. “I do not see this changing."

___

• Rage+1 2

43 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'm wondering what's going to happen to the vatniks like MTG and Carlson (as well as their mirror images on the left like Code Pink) once Putin is toast .

Your assumption is misplaced.

With the support of a Fifth Column within the US, Putin still has a chance of not just surviving, but winning.  If the country is controlled by a party that will HELP Putin (and they will -- don't be fooled by supposed GQP "support" of Ukraine at present), then he wins, and wins big.  He made a huge bet.  Yes, he may lose it, ultimately....but he also still has a chance to win, and if he does, he wins EVERYTHING.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2