German/Mexican restaurant on southbound 35 near Rundberg in the 80s/90s?

Orange&White

Here's your place.  The Tex-Mex was actually Cuban. From a 1997 Austin Chronicle article: https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/1997-09-19/518432/

Gunther's

11606 N. I-35, 834-0474
El Barrio de Triana

food.ethnic.2.gif

Gunther's
photograph by John Anderson

It needs to be said: The Gunther's sign, in large, crumbling Medieval Banquet font, isn't doing Gunther's any favors and may well strike fear into the hearts of potentially hungry passersby on I-35. But a consistent advertisement of "Cuban Night" in our own pages sparked my interest for two reasons: 1) the search for ethnic nights; and 2) the unfathomable combination. Why would a German restaurant boast a Cuban night, not to mention world-famous paella?

Inside the restaurant, the sign out of sight, we were ready to begin a breakneck intercontinental dining experience, beginning with two enormous beers, a Spaten Lager and a Spaten Oktoberfest, from an extensive beer menu. Upon inquiry, we learned that Gunther's, which has been serving wursts, rouladen, and schnitzels of high repute forever, was recently acquired by a proud Cuban who wanted to include his country's cuisine on the menu. The result is a classic German menu (The restaurant's German cooks are still in residence) complemented by a page of Cuban specialties like Ropa Vieja and picadillo, rounded out with two versions of Spanish paella and several pasta options. Though Thursday night is allegedly Cuban night, don't limit yourselves; it turns out that at Gunther's, every night is everything night.

When we realized that we weren't in the presence of a team of highly specialized Cuban cooks brought in specially for Thursday nights, we decided to eat whatever we wanted. Interest in the German and Spanish portions of the menu immediately surged -- the extent of my recent experiences with Latin American fare made the German and Spanish food all the more exotic. As an appetizer, we ordered grilled wursteller ($7.95), an ample sampler including Polish sausage, farm-fresh bratwurst, Old World bratwurst, and another variety. These in conjunction with the requisite condiments (a tub of horseradish and a jar of horseradish mustard) made wind whistle through our brains.

Breathing clearly, if slowed markedly by the sausage, we moved onto Paella Valencia ($27.95), a dinner for two which also includes a fresh, clean salad, black bean soup, and coffee. The paella itself was mounded atop a large platter; shrimp, ham, chicken, mussels, and sausage ensured that we weren't lacking in protein, green peas and pimientos sufficed as roughage, and rice filled the bulk of a very large platter. We gave up an eighth of the way through in sweet anticipation of dessert.

Ever since I learned to say Schwarz Walder Kirsch Torte, black forest cake has been one of my favorite things. Although this moist, creamy rendition hit the spot, I think next time we'll try some arroz con leche instead, just because it's there.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Here's your place.  The Tex-Mex was actually Cuban. From a 1997 Austin Chronicle article: https://www.austinchronicle.com/food/1997-09-19/518432/

Gunther's

11606 N. I-35, 834-0474
El Barrio de Triana

food.ethnic.2.gif

Gunther's
photograph by John Anderson

It needs to be said: The Gunther's sign, in large, crumbling Medieval Banquet font, isn't doing Gunther's any favors and may well strike fear into the hearts of potentially hungry passersby on I-35. But a consistent advertisement of "Cuban Night" in our own pages sparked my interest for two reasons: 1) the search for ethnic nights; and 2) the unfathomable combination. Why would a German restaurant boast a Cuban night, not to mention world-famous paella?

Inside the restaurant, the sign out of sight, we were ready to begin a breakneck intercontinental dining experience, beginning with two enormous beers, a Spaten Lager and a Spaten Oktoberfest, from an extensive beer menu. Upon inquiry, we learned that Gunther's, which has been serving wursts, rouladen, and schnitzels of high repute forever, was recently acquired by a proud Cuban who wanted to include his country's cuisine on the menu. The result is a classic German menu (The restaurant's German cooks are still in residence) complemented by a page of Cuban specialties like Ropa Vieja and picadillo, rounded out with two versions of Spanish paella and several pasta options. Though Thursday night is allegedly Cuban night, don't limit yourselves; it turns out that at Gunther's, every night is everything night.

When we realized that we weren't in the presence of a team of highly specialized Cuban cooks brought in specially for Thursday nights, we decided to eat whatever we wanted. Interest in the German and Spanish portions of the menu immediately surged -- the extent of my recent experiences with Latin American fare made the German and Spanish food all the more exotic. As an appetizer, we ordered grilled wursteller ($7.95), an ample sampler including Polish sausage, farm-fresh bratwurst, Old World bratwurst, and another variety. These in conjunction with the requisite condiments (a tub of horseradish and a jar of horseradish mustard) made wind whistle through our brains.

Breathing clearly, if slowed markedly by the sausage, we moved onto Paella Valencia ($27.95), a dinner for two which also includes a fresh, clean salad, black bean soup, and coffee. The paella itself was mounded atop a large platter; shrimp, ham, chicken, mussels, and sausage ensured that we weren't lacking in protein, green peas and pimientos sufficed as roughage, and rice filled the bulk of a very large platter. We gave up an eighth of the way through in sweet anticipation of dessert.

Ever since I learned to say Schwarz Walder Kirsch Torte, black forest cake has been one of my favorite things. Although this moist, creamy rendition hit the spot, I think next time we'll try some arroz con leche instead, just because it's there.

That's it! Thank you!

Cuban and German? Talk about being bi-polar and swinging all the way from fascism to communism. 
I vaguely remember Gunther's but I must have went before they added the Cuban menu. 

Reichstag Fired Goeringbrats with the plantains with Che sauce was my go to order. The Sergeant Schultz lager was awful though.