Texas vs Purdue - Sunday, 7:40pm on TNT

shadow_operative

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

We didn’t attack the rim. At all.

7060CC29-AF97-4146-99C5-DF31DA966CEC.thumb.jpeg.6028ca360f1898a3d6cbcec0d343f11b.jpeg

We didn’t attack the rim when 2 of their guys are way bigger than all of our guys? Weird 🙄

I would respond to all the other dumb shit you posted but I have a plane to catch in a few hours so I don’t have enough time 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Both basketball programs are in great hands, something I don’t think we’ve been able to say in 20 years (about them both at the same time).

Truth.  The last time things looked so good for both programs was 2001-2004.  About to enter a golden age of Texas hoops with Beard and Schaefer.  

32 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Honestly, it isn't so much the athleticism as it is the size that did them in. I don't know how many of those fouls were on them trying to guard the post or directly related to them being out of position trying to guard the post, but it seems like that was the lions share. They just had no answer for Williams or Edey other than to foul them.

Bringing a 1st Team All-Big 10 big man off the bench is insane.  I understand the allure of starting 7' 4" Lurch, but Williams is a beast.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Proud of the guys.  Stoked for the future.  I haven’t been this excited about Texas Basketball since the Houston Regional (gulp).

This was a terrible, terrible matchup.  Purdue knew we had no one to guard Edey and would do nothing but foul (or else he’d just score) and we aren’t consistent enough from the outside to stay in it—we go too cold too long, and it’s been that way basically all season. 

I have a feeling Beard has a plan when it comes to the portal.  Both basketball programs are in great hands, something I don’t think we’ve been able to say in 20 years (about them both at the same time).

It feels like even longer than that for the women. Nothing against the legendary Conradt, but we lost our dominance way before the wheels came off. It was a bummer watching other programs pass us after being the UConn/Tennessee/USC of our day. 

It’s a shame we haven’t found a fix at soccer or especially football, because every other sport looks fantastic. 

Being bad at football is a little like the air traffic controller defending himself regarding all the planes he’s helped safely land right after a mid air collision. 

But yeah, it sure is nice having Schaefer and Beard at the helm. Good things coming in the future for sure. Great timing for the new shiny arena on campus and the student seating 3/4s around the court. Can’t wait!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

It feels like even longer than that for the women. Nothing against the legendary Conradt, but we lost our dominance way before the wheels came off. It was a bummer watching other programs pass us after being the UConn/Tennessee/USC of our day. 

But yeah, it sure is nice having Schaefer and Beard at the helm. Good things coming in the future for sure. Great timing for the new shiny arena on campus and the student seating 3/4s around the court. Can’t wait!

Hey now, woah there.  The men's program hasn't been out of the second weekend since 2008.  The women have gotten to at least the Sweet 16 in 6 of the past 7 postseasons under 2 different coaches and 2 Elite 8s. 

36 minutes ago, ChessAmerika said:

Not enough in the tank after this team won 1st round superbowl. 

And there’s the fuckstick techtard who’s team needed a bunch of questionable calls to beat an 11 seed. Get over it-  nobody wants to permanently live in Lubbock and anyone who has a modicum of success is going to leave your shitstain of a school as soon as possible. You’re a stepping stone school, get over it.

16 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

We didn’t attack the rim when 2 of their guys are way bigger than all of our guys? Weird 🙄

I would respond to all the other dumb shit you posted but I have a plane to catch in a few hours so I don’t have enough time 

Yea that was kinda my point about why we didn’t shoot FTs, thanks for agreeing with me I guess. 
Shouldn’t you be betting on Shaka?

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Hey now, woah there.  The men's program hasn't been out of the second weekend since 2008.  The women have gotten to at least the Sweet 16 in 6 of the past 7 postseasons under 2 different coaches and 2 Elite 8s. 

Including Schaefer’s season last year in there feels disingenuous, since we’re discussing the women’s program finally getting on track under his watch. 

Aston had success, but there’s a reason she was fired. You want to defend her record as someone who should still be running the program be my guest. Then there was the disappointment of Goestenkors, who I thought was a slam dunk hire at the time. 

Where Schaefer has the program feels like where it should have been all along. That was Pancho’s point, and I 100% agree with it. Citing the accomplishments under Karen Aston seems like a peculiar hill to die on. 

55 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Honestly, it isn't so much the athleticism as it is the size that did them in. I don't know how many of those fouls were on them trying to guard the post or directly related to them being out of position trying to guard the post, but it seems like that was the lions share. They just had no answer for Williams or Edey other than to foul them. Watching Timme kill them earlier in the season vs Gonzaga on post move after post move proved to be a preview of what we saw yesterday. 

Other than Ivey - and let's face it, he's a freak of nature / top 5 lottery athletic talent - Purdue isn't any more athletic than Texas. It was just a bad match up and it's really, really difficult to win a game when your best player can't throw it in the ocean from the beach and you spend 20% of the game going scoreless. It's a borderline miracle that the game was as close as it was. 

Beard is a great coach and a great tournament coach. The future is really, really bright with him in Austin. 

Williams is more athletic than anyone we had to guard him with and he has old man strength because I assume he's actually 35.  He's an old school 80's and 90's power forward.  I can't really hate Purdue in spite of the game because they play the basketball of my childhood.  It's a shame for them that they're bad defensively. 

Edited by kevwun

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Including Schaefer’s season last year in there feels disingenuous, since we’re discussing the women’s program finally getting on track under his watch. 

Aston had success, but there’s a reason she was fired. You want to defend her record as someone who should still be running the program be my guest. Then there was the disappointment of Goestenkors, who I thought was a slam dunk hire at the time. 

Where Schaefer has the program feels like where it should have been all along. That was Pancho’s point, and I 100% agree with it. Citing the accomplishments under Karen Aston seems like a peculiar hill to die on. 

I, of all people, am well aware of why Aston was fired.

Just saying - the women have been down, but have enjoyed far more postseason success, even under a coach who got fired with a .689 winning % and 3 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8, than a Texas MBB program who was 0-fer in their last 5 tournament games and 8 years without an NCAAT win. 

Future looks so bright for both.  Moody is going to be lit as fuck with Beard and Schaefer trotting out these teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just saying - the women have been down, but have enjoyed far more postseason success, even under a coach who got fired with a .689 winning % and 3 Sweet 16s and an Elite 8, than a Texas MBB program who was 0-fer in their last 5 tournament games and 8 years without an NCAAT win. 

Future looks so bright for both.  Moody is going to be lit as fuck with Beard and Schaefer trotting out these teams. 

Program is way better with Schaefer. I’m glad Aston is gone. She wasn’t going to get Texas to where it should be. If you feel like I’m unfairly attacking Aston’s record by agreeing with Pancho’s post I’m okay with that. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah but you have to translate that from mens basketball to Women’s basketball (this isn’t a shot at the ladies- I say the same thing about baseball) 

how many schools actually care about winners hoops and invest money in them and want to be good vs mens hoops?  How many of the ladies are there out there that can be gym rats and sustain programs beyond the top 25?  The ladies tournament historically has been straight chalk, with I’m noticing the occasional 12/5 or 7 or 10/2 upset lately (like last 5 years). My sense is that if you have a good squad you are going to make the sweet 16 and the final four is probably going to be made up of What- the top 5 or 6 schools?

those aren’t rhetorical questions by the way. I know you follow this pretty closely and am genuinely interested in the response. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah but you have to translate that from mens basketball to Women’s basketball (this isn’t a shot at the ladies- I say the same thing about baseball) 

how many schools actually care about winners hoops and invest money in them and want to be good vs mens hoops?  How many of the ladies are there out there that can be gym rats and sustain programs beyond the top 25?  The ladies tournament historically has been straight chalk, with I’m noticing the occasional 12/5 or 7 or 10/2 upset lately (like last 5 years). My sense is that if you have a good squad you are going to make the sweet 16 and the final four is probably going to be made up of What- the top 5 or 6 schools?

those aren’t rhetorical questions by the way. I know you follow this pretty closely and am genuinely interested in the response. 

You still have to put the talent together and have a good scheme.  We ran to the Elite 8 as a 6 seed last year because Schaefer does exactly what Vic does with postseason play - stifling defense.  Was still a roster full of players that lost in the first round in 2019 and were probably not going to make the tournament in 2020. 

Elite coaching still matters.  Beard took a rag-tag group of nobodies with no size and streaky shooting to the second round (after beating one of the hottest teams in the country) and had a Sweet 16 appearance if a few of our shots fell in the 1st Q. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Beard put this team in the position to win this game (and many others) and the players couldn't get the job done.

So many missed free throws, especially the front-end of 1 and 1's, and all the missed open, uncontested shots from the field did them in.  On paper this team was legit with veteran shooters like Jones, Ramey and Febres but they were just too inconsistent and could not make the shots when needed.  That was the story of the 2022 season.

I'm glad they are moving on and looking forward to next season.

• Hook 'Em 3

You guys are both right. That’s not a charge. It’s been called that a shitload all month (and shouldn’t be). 

Shouldnt be? Thats textbook charge. Ivey needed to slow down or pass earlier. By not doing so and being able to run into the defender at full speed he achieved a competitive advantage and jeopardized player safety.

Refs get discretion. Ive seen defenders flop after incidental contact. That wasnt that.

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You still have to put the talent together and have a good scheme.  We ran to the Elite 8 as a 6 seed last year because Schaefer does exactly what Vic does with postseason play - stifling defense.  Was still a roster full of players that lost in the first round in 2019 and were probably not going to make the tournament in 2020. 

Elite coaching still matters.  Beard took a rag-tag group of nobodies with no size and streaky shooting to the second round (after beating one of the hottest teams in the country) and had a Sweet 16 appearance if a few of our shots fell in the 1st Q. 

Oh absolutely coaching matters. My sense is that there just aren’t many teams that can make a final 4 or elite 8 or even a sweet 16 over there, so counting sweet 16’s (Aston) when there’s 40

programs that could do that isn’t as valuable as mens when there is what- 200? 

2 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Shouldnt be? Thats textbook charge. Ivey needed to slow down or pass earlier. By not doing so and being able to run into the defender at full speed he achieved a competitive advantage and jeopardized player safety.

Refs get discretion. Ive seen defenders flop after incidental contact. That wasnt that.

Fair. Way too many charges are called at all levels but especially college hoops. He had established he no longer had the ball. Player control foul in a situation like that maybe?

I was on record all throughout the thread saying I thought we got a very tough whistle all night long.  I’m not defending it. I just hate how many charges there are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Lol at anyone defending the refs after that game.  There were a shit ton of calls that could have gone either way and every single one of them went against us.  Many of the calls that sent Purdue to the line were technically foul calls but are rarely called in college basketball.  We didn’t get the same benefit when we were on offense.  Hell you could hear on the broadcast an official ask Williams what happened after he got bumped in the dick and then they immediately went to review the play.  But Bishop takes an elbow to the neck and gets called for a foul?  No review of that?  Get the fuck out of here.  The non call on what should have been a charge on Ivey was a disgrace to officials.  Two potential goal tending calls that both went Purdue’s way.  Let’s pretend that every call That Purdue got on offense was legit, if Texas gets those same whistles while on offense it was a different game.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

yeah you are generally correct but I think the expectation for the women is different, and that is because of Conradt, and our early top 5 type domination(even with only one title).  I think everyone knows the women have a better chance of dominating given the landscape of college basketball for women v men.

Vic is the kind of coach that can get us back there.  I think he will do it.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Fair. Way too many charges are called at all levels but especially college hoops. He had established he no longer had the ball. Player control foul in a situation like that maybe?

I was on record all throughout the thread saying I thought we got a very tough whistle all night long.  I’m not defending it. I just hate how many charges there are. 

Disagree. Way too many blocking calls are called. Lebron made a career by going straight through his defender. Too many out of control ball handlers bailed out by a bad call. Offensive players initiating contact and getting the call is shitty basketball. Verticality in the lane is almost never given to the defender..on and on. 

Game would be a better product if you just couldn’t run over your defender at your discretion. Shooting, passing and body control would go back to being just as important as bulldogging through the lane 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Disagree. Way too many blocking calls are called. Lebron made a career by going straight through his defender. Too many out of control ball handlers bailed out a bad call. Offensive players initiating contact and getting the call is shitty basketball. Verticality in the lane is almost never given to the defender..on and on. 

Game would be a better product if you just couldn’t run over your defender at your discretion. Shooting, passing and body control would go back to being just as important as bulldogging through the lane 

Always this.  Out of control player falls down - foul on the closest defensive player. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Our guards struggle with size. Have all season. Seeing two 6-4 guards plus the towers in the paint always meant our guards were in for a long night. Needed some luck from the 3pt line to pull off the upset, because Ramey Jones nor Carr were getting all the way to the rim. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

We were outmanned. Simple as that. I have to give some credit to Purdue. Their big advantage was inside and rather than feeding the lottery pick who had the tougher matchup they just sledgehammered us inside. 

We had a chance until Painter pulled his head out and put Williams back in there. That dude is a monster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Our guards struggle with size. Have all season. Seeing two 6-4 guards plus the towers in the paint always meant our guards were in for a long night. Needed some luck from the 3pt line to pull off the upset, because Ramey Jones nor Care were getting all the way to the rim. 

What about Askew? Does he have any offensive skills at all or does he just run around and foul people? 

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

What about Askew? Does he have any offensive skills at all or does he just run around and foul people? 

It’s not like he’s hopeless. He has a smooth stroke. He just has absolutely no confidence. Frankly he’s not a bad option as a backup point guard. He’s solid defensively. He doesn’t turn the ball over. I’m curious to see how he develops. 

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's funny- I saw him take 1 three point shot all year with confidence.  Got passed out to him by a big, hit him in the chest, he had an opening, squared up, let it fly and hit the bottom of the net.  I was like- so- this guys stroke doesn't look awful, I wonder why he's so afraid to shoot.  It's tough. Maybe he's a terrible offensive player.  Maybe he can't shoot at all. But I don't think there is any way to tell with the timidity with which he plays. 

My goals are much lower then the rest of you guys. I was just hoping I could watch Longhorn basketball games again. Shaka made it impossible to do so since he was just terrible. The droughts during games this season made it very hard to watch yet again but the first round win and the heart this team showed fighting back yesterday gives me lots of hope. Lots of smart wide open shots that showed the coach had his players in position to succeed and they didn't.

The one area I can say was disappointing yesterday was the game plan on defending the low post. I can't remember if it was Barnes or Penders in a similar situation of having to deal a bad match just gave the guys inside hell with their double team rotations coming from everywhere bothering the dribble in or pass into the post. We won that tournament game and it was a thing of beauty I just can't remember against whom it was we executed so well. I was hoping to see that yesterday and we didn't.

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

He’s got the best handle on the team and his shot looks good when he actually shoots. His decision making yesterday was awful. That was probably his worst game for us

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

My goals are much lower then the rest of you guys. I was just hoping I could watch Longhorn basketball games again. Shaka made it impossible to do so since he was just terrible. The droughts during games this season made it very hard to watch yet again but the first round win and the heart this team showed fighting back yesterday gives me lots of hope. Lots of smart wide open shots that showed the coach had his players in position to succeed and they didn't.

The one area I can say was disappointing yesterday was the game plan on defending the low post. I can't remember if it was Barnes or Penders in a similar situation of having to deal a bad match just gave the guys inside hell with their double team rotations coming from everywhere bothering the dribble in or pass into the post. We won that tournament game and it was a thing of beauty I just can't remember against whom it was we executed so well. I was hoping to see that yesterday and we didn't.

None of that rings a bell during the Barnes era, so I'm guessing you are thinking Penders.  

I'm pretty sure the thought was that you can't leave their shooters and you can't give their top 5 draft pick room to go to the hole and get explosive, so you have to play them one on one, get physical with them, and figure the refs can't call all the fouls or they will shoot 46 FT's or something crazy like that, and you just never see that in a game.  Whoops. 

• Rage+1 1

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Disagree. Way too many blocking calls are called. Lebron made a career by going straight through his defender. Too many out of control ball handlers bailed out a bad call. Offensive players initiating contact and getting the call is shitty basketball. Verticality in the lane is almost never given to the defender..on and on. 

This is what I hate about basketball these days.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Watching this team is frustrating because they are clearly better than most teams they play, except they can't make shots when they are wide open sometimes. I know that's basketball, but yesterday was a whole different level of bricking open shots. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

You mean Ivey's mother that is the head coach of the Notre Dame women's team? What's not to understand? 

I don't understand why you wear ND gear to cheer for Purdue.  ND and Purdue are kinda in-state rivals.  So it's just a bit weird that she not wear a non-branded sweater.

But it may be that coaches at big D1 programs just don't have any clothes that aren't branded.

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Watching this team is frustrating because they are clearly better than most teams they play, except they can't make shots when they are wide open sometimes. I know that's basketball, but yesterday was a whole different level of bricking open shots. 

This is Beard's first year and the team has already taken on the tough and scrappy identity. Need to augment it with some playmaking guards, and it looks like we have 2 on the way in 2022. Texas will be a tough out in the tourney from here on out.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

He’s got the best handle on the team and his shot looks good when he actually shoots. His decision making yesterday was awful. That was probably his worst game for us

Yeah I didn't see him adding much value other than giving our starters a brief breather. If he doesn't develop his shot, likely passed up by the 2 freshmen coming.

12 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I don't understand why you wear ND gear to cheer for Purdue.  ND and Purdue are kinda in-state rivals.  So it's just a bit weird that she not wear a non-branded sweater.

But it may be that coaches at big D1 programs just don't have any clothes that aren't branded.

Just repping for their game today.  You think she brought Purdue clothing to their NCAA road trip in Norman, OK? 

Edited by Js1

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Yeah I didn't see him adding much value other than giving our starters a brief breather. If he doesn't develop his shot, likely passed up by the 2 freshmen coming.

Morris is already better than he is it looks like. I think he will show pretty big improvement over the off season, he’s still super young, and should make a really good backup 1 or potentially allow us to play Morris off ball at times.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Screenshot_20220320-230158.thumb.png.099f51ec8d901e7bd398161cc99a70e5.png

3 hours ago, immamac said:

I wish they had a stat for missed uncontested shots. Texas missed A LOT of uncontested shots. More than enough to cover the deficit on the scoreboard if they had even made 30% 

- Purdue made the shots when it mattered. 

- Allen going MIA is a big reason for the loss. 

- Jumpers versus layups. We settled for jumpers, they game planned to pound us in the paint. 

- Texas shot like shit, especially 3 pointers. Didn't make shots when we needed them.

- My only complaint on the coaching staff was not getting Allen involved more. Having your leading scorer be a net negative doesn't lend itself to winning, especially in the tourney. Needed to have plays to get him going. Didn't seem like we had an answer to getting him involved.