2022 Summer Season: Flavor-Aid (Strength: Prison Wine)

BurntOrange&White

45 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

This, he wants Richard Sherman on the outside playing Legion Of Boom style cover 3. Watts is a great fit for that provided he can hold up in press man. 

Yeah I think PK sees Watts as someone like Kevin King, who he had at Washington and was 6'2/6'3 range.

18 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah I think PK sees Watts as someone like Kevin King, who he had at Washington and was 6'2/6'3 range.

Texas corners and nickel need to be much more physical this year.  Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing a few early game holding calls on them.  

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not sure i buy that. I see 6 DBs from Washington in the NFL

Myles Bryant: 5'9"

Trent McDuffie: 5'11" (CB)

Kyle Gordon: 6'0" (CB)

Budda Baker: 5'10"

Marcus Peters: 6'0 (CB)

Byron Murphy: 6'0 (CB)

Taylor Keith: 6'3" (CB)

Humidor:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Inside Texas dives into team news days away from the start of fall camp, profile the latest on UT targets and more, Inside the Humidor.

TEAM

*Summer school ends: Texas wrapped up summer workouts on Thursday. The team will return next Tuesday and begin practice the following day.

*The 110 rule will be enforced in 2022 - you can only take 110 players to fall camp. Players who don’t make that cut can't practice or attend meetings until the first week of the season.

*Hudson Card and Quinn Ewers have a healthy relationship that benefits both on the field. Each has a team-first mentality. Each is widely liked. The team will rally around the winner of the competition and support the backup.

*The biggest difference in pre-camp last year and pre-camp this year? "It’s player-led. The players are way more bought in. The players are upholding a standard. New faces, new talent. That’s a big difference, too.”

*Biggest surprise from spring ball to the end of summer workouts? "The receiver room, including tight end. Absolutely stacked. (Isaiah) Neyor is a freak, (Ja’Tavion) Sanders is a stud, but the sleeper is Tarique Milton. He can go. Really go." You would think with Milton’s size he’d be a pure slot, but they’re moving him around.

On defense, Jaylon Guilbeau is another one under the radar. He's instinctive. Two more surprises mentioned were Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey and Michael Taaffe. “Tuck” is setting a good example for the linebackers. He’s adding leadership. Taaffe will likely see the field this year at Star behind Jahdae Barron and Guilbeau.

*He’s not often mentioned (or at least not enough) as a leader, but Jordan Whittington is a calming influence on the wide receiver room. If you have a question about anything he has an answer. The players are rallied around him and view him as being in a big contract year.

*The players are on a break until Tuesday. The coaches are off until Monday.

*It’s almost go time.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, immamac said:

at the Burnt Ends lunch the guys were very clear that this years team is much different from an athleticism standpoint and that is one of the things they are most excited about. Not going to say who gave the quote, but a quote "The scheme is totally different this year because we actually have people who can play, last season we didn't have the athletes to do what we are doing this year"

they were also very clear about EDGE and LB being totally different people and these new people being "much harder to block"

Don't we have the same edge's and LBs as last year though (except Dorsey)? Unless they expect Freshmen to start.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB said he's hearing Patterson will be up in the booth with PK on gamedays.

He is already walking it back cause it shouldn’t have been reported because technically he can’t have a headset that has a microphone for him to speak. “Legally” he can only listen. 

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Don't we have the same edge's and LBs as last year though (except Dorsey)?  

You are correct...but there is a new energy and a new vibe and a new concept and everyone is buying in and and a fresh take on things with a new spin and rumor is the team is hungry and we have a walk-on white DB who is a coach on the field. 

6 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

He is already walking it back cause it shouldn’t have been reported because technically he can’t have a headset that has a microphone for him to speak. “Legally” he can only listen. 

Can't speak ??

Here's "Phat" in the booth now

giphy.gif

Don't players and coaches pretty much always say, "This year's team is different... way better..." every year following a disappointing season? I don't see how you can put any stock into any quote in times like these.  I hope he's right but until it's shown on gameday it's nothing more than meaningless coachspeak.   I'm tired hearing how great this untested and recently 5-7 team is.  I'm not knocking the guy for saying it at a dinner... what else could he say?   I've just been burned too many times by teams that were gonna be better and then weren't. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

You are correct...but there is a new energy and a new vibe and a new concept and everyone is buying in and and a fresh take on things with a new spin and rumor is the team is hungry and we have a walk-on white DB who is a coach on the field. 

You must be tons of fun at parties

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don't know if I can deal with another white walk on getting significant time....

image.gif.669623aab0fce3b7e88f078ba477f0c0.gif

Michael Taaffe 

9 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Don't players and coaches pretty much always say, "This year's team is different... way better..." every year following a disappointing season? I don't see how you can put any stock into any quote in times like these.  I hope he's right but until it's shown on gameday it's nothing more than meaningless coachspeak.   I'm tired hearing how great this untested and recently 5-7 team is.  I'm not knocking the guy for saying it at a dinner... what else could he say?   I've just been burned too many times by teams that were gonna be better and then weren't. 

Username  ✔

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

*He’s not often mentioned (or at least not enough) as a leader, but Jordan Whittington is a calming influence on the wide receiver room. If you have a question about anything he has an answer. The players are rallied around him and view him as being in a big contract year.

Saw in video earlier this year Coach Marion encouraging Whitt to be leader in the WR room  🤘 

Might have been this video

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

There was talk last year (that most didn’t believe) our coaching staff was telling everyone who would listen "Bama's 2nd team was way more talented than our starters" and it was going to be a rough year.   
I haven’t heard anything remotely as concerning coming out as last year except that it feels like we will not get to the QB because we are not good at edge. We also missed out on that at the portal (the only position group we didn’t upgrade through the portal- other then RB which was so stacked why bother) and we don’t seem like we are killing it there on the recruiting front.  You can’t be a great team if you can’t get to the QB. So, hopefully that changes at some point in time. 

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Heard that a lot in spring of 2016. Then 5-7 with a loss to Kansas happened. Thankfully Charlie is no longer around.

There was talk (that most didn’t believe) that the coaching staff was telling everyone who would listen that Alabamas second team was way more talented than our starters and it was going to be a rough year. 

Alabama’s 2nd team was more talented than everyone but Ohio State and Georgia (maybe a small hand full of others). That’s still largely the case this year.

And at many positions, the only difference between Bamas 1st and 2nd teams is age/maturity and experience.

We didn’t play 12 games versus Bama though so that’s no excuse for 5-7.

4 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Alabama’s 2nd team was more talented than everyone but Ohio State and Georgia (maybe a small hand full of others). That’s still largely the case this year.

And at many positions, the only difference between Bamas 1st and 2nd teams is age/maturity and experience.

We didn’t play 12 games versus Bama though so that’s no excuse for 5-7.

Look guys - the team was full of shitters last year there is no arguing with it we saw it with our own eyes. There is going to be more than 11 starters between the 22 that started last year for sure. Just think about that. More than half the team isn't going to be the same on the field. 

Just now, immamac said:

Look guys - the team was full of shitters last year there is no arguing with it we saw it with our own eyes. There is going to be more than 11 starters between the 22 that started last year for sure. Just think about that. More than half the team isn't going to be the same on the field. 

Thank god 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The record speaks for itself. But we did lead 3 teams that won 30 damn games for 3 quarters a piece. Hard to say that’s a shitty roster.

No doubt the talent level is higher. Expectations should be higher.

Guess I have higher expectations here than damn near anyone for this year. But our staff did a piss poor job of finishing games last year. And some of those shitty players from last year will be better this year.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Cj Vogel getting his practice reports from papa Ewers:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.5f916778aea51b0a1812e492c70a87ee.png

I really hope J Whit stays healthy.  He flashes ever time he plays, but it’s been so seldom.   

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

We are going to see patterson losing his shit in the corner and the sheer volune of his rantings will echo over the mic when PK switches off mute. We are going to get so many violations.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Jesus the NCAA is trying to burn it all to the ground after the NIL ruling went against them. 

Pretty smart... If NCAA wants control of whatever Big 101214 SEC Disney are doing, they have to let the process itself down ASAP, then come with a solution.

• Like 1

I mean- the rumor out of camp last year was that the WR room was terrible the OLine sucked, QB had no separation and the only part of the team that might be a strength was the DLine (whoops). There was talk (that most didn’t believe) that the coaching staff was telling everyone who would listen that Alabamas second team was way more talented than our starters and it was going to be a rough year. 
I haven’t heard anything remotely as concerning coming out as last year except that it feels like we will not get to the QB because we are not good at edge. We also missed out on that at the portal (the only position group we didn’t upgrade through the portal- other then RB which was so stacked why bother) and we don’t seem like we are killing it there on the recruiting front.  You can’t be a great team if you can’t get to the QB. So, hopefully that changes at some point in time. 

Am I the only one that remembers gems along the lines of “Privately, the staff thinks this could be a playoff team,” and “Flood thinks this could be the best OL he’s ever coached”?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- the rumor out of camp last year was that the WR room was terrible the OLine sucked, QB had no separation and the only part of the team that might be a strength was the DLine (whoops). There was talk (that most didn’t believe) that the coaching staff was telling everyone who would listen that Alabamas second team was way more talented than our starters and it was going to be a rough year. 

great post. The only issue I have with this is that it is hard to compare last years attitude in camp with this years when we have yet to be at camp.....

I would rather see us talk about how we are better than last year when we actually are in camp. 

You get props from me for pointing out that this is not the same as we hear every year, when last year we were seeing lots of bad stuff that came to pass.....good catch...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Am I the only one that remembers gems along the lines of “Privately, the staff thinks this could be a playoff team,” and “Flood thinks this could be the best OL he’s ever coached”?

I dont remember ever seeing that, so maybe so....

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Buy in, leadership, team unity.  All bullshit that doesn’t matter.  Do you have big, fast, draftable motherfuckers who can drive somebody back, deck their ass, or moss them.   And do you have a QB who is accurate and not a pussy.  

I would also add “do your players know what to do and where to be?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Buy in, leadership, team unity.  All bullshit that doesn’t matter.  Do you have big, fast, draftable motherfuckers who can drive somebody back, deck their ass, or moss them.   And do you have a QB who is accurate and not a pussy.  

16 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I would also add “do your players know what to do and where to be?”

And, does your team captain know how to call a coin toss properly?

Edited by SuperSport