NIL Recruiting News Megathread

texifornia

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That queso was too cheesy.  Needed a little pick me up. 
y’all are amazing on this. My pissant idea was to try to get 50k funded personally and find a couple other people with 50k or something and go buy a good receiver in the portal. That was conceivable and doable for me. What y’all ended up putting together is incredible. I didn’t doubt you for a minute, I just isn’t gabe the time and skill set to make that happen. Mad props fellas. 

Too cheesy? You are crazy sir! But appreciate the support as always! 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

For now, we are working on alternatives @immamac is on it

Gotcha. I can totally see how a platform like that makes sense to manage all the smaller deals in particular, but damn that seems like it'd add up quickly especially on the big deals (QB1, RB1, etc). I'm guessing the school just wants to be very cautious with how everything gets managed.

I mean, shit, I wonder if y'all could just use ADP or some standard payroll or AP software. I'm not very familiar with it but there's a platform called PairSoft that I've run into before and could be useful. I think they actually focus a lot on nonprofits and schools. May be worth looking into if you haven't already (idk though, don't take this as an endorsement).

Anyways, I'm sure y'all are on top of it, just a nerdy curiosity for me.

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Gotcha. I can totally see how a platform like that makes sense to manage all the smaller deals in particular, but damn that seems like it'd add up quickly especially on the big deals (QB1, RB1, etc). I'm guessing the school just wants to be very cautious with how everything gets managed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems to be less about QB1, RB1, etc. Those guys are gonna get theirs through private deals with Lambo or the NFT thing that Quinn's got. They have opportunity. This is about ensuring everyone else will be taken care of. I mean, I'm sure it's great for your superstars too. But this establishes a floor that can be clearly contextualized (rather than shady promises of bags that never materialize) for student athletes in all sports. That's fucking huge. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

So when is the movie going to be made about this? Matthew McConaughey as RBGIII, Danny DaVito as closetojumping, and Zach Galifianakis as immamac?

This is a joke, no offense intended.

Excellent job guys. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate your effort and hard work.

Please let Steve Buscemi play @SydneyCarton.

• Haha 6

I am real curious how long it takes other fans and their message boards to catch on yo what just happened? Has anyone done any out reach on this to say the sports business journal or the various sports law blogs to amplify the message any?

Not only is UT maintaining its presence as the innovator and leader in the legit NIL space, but now can continue to champion the idea of doing it with extreme transparency as well. There is no need to get into the exact dollar amounts but by seeding the message of doing it the right way with the students best interest at in mind from a legal and financial standpoint should make it news worthy for those types of outlets. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Somehow I can't help but connect the dots between the release of this info and a monster recruiting weekend. Weird huh? Amazing coincidence.

It may have been more to do with the school and AD now being allowed to take part. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

So when is the movie going to be made about this? Matthew McConaughey as RBGIII, Danny DaVito as closetojumping, and Zach Galifianakis as immamac?

Excellent job guys. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate your effort and hard work.

2028. Six football seasons and a movie!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Hah, well it is a home game against a Top 4 team with Gameday in town, so there's also that.

But it also couples well with today's big NIL announcement. Once recruits who are at this weekend's event start talking to other recruits it's going to be Katy bar the door. 

I love it when a plan comes together.

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but this seems to be less about QB1, RB1, etc. Those guys are gonna get theirs through private deals with Lambo or the NFT thing that Quinn's got. They have opportunity. This is about ensuring everyone else will be taken care of. I mean, I'm sure it's great for your superstars too. But this establishes a floor that can be clearly contextualized (rather than shady promises of bags that never materialize) for student athletes in all sports. That's fucking huge. 

Fair enough. But I imagine there will still be some larger superstar deals through Texas One. Plus, even a 5% fee on millions a year in smaller deals across all sports is a material amount that could otherwise go straight to the players (and it might be higher than 5%, I'm making that up).

Just want to add a comment about how amazing this accomplishment is, first hand. 

When I was helping CTJ, RGB, etc on an NIL concept, I met with the LHF to seek their help, but getting them to work together looked impossible.

I don’t know the details of how these guys did it, but its fantastic. Congrats to everyone.

• Hook 'Em 9

1 hour ago, Longhornlove said:

I am fine with this casting thanksmatthew mcconaughey acceptance speech GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Fair enough. But I imagine there will still be some larger superstar deals through Texas One. Plus, even a 5% fee on millions a year in smaller deals across all sports is a material amount that could otherwise go straight to the players (and it might be higher than 5%, I'm making that up).

Maybe. But I honestly don't know why there would be, if I were a big corporation. As other's have posted, Lamborghini of Austin doesn't need to go through us to cut a deal, nor does anyone else. This was about securing a donor based support structure for all University of Texas athletes. "Hey guys, come here, we love you and we will support you for doing good, charitable works in the name of the University of Texas. Any other opportunities that come your way, wonderful! It's all part of coming to the University of Texas!"

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. But I honestly don't know why there would be, if I were a big corporation. As other's have posted, Lamborghini of Austin doesn't need to go through us to cut a deal, nor does anyone else. This was about securing a donor based support structure for all University of Texas athletes. "Hey guys, come here, we love you and we will support you for doing good, charitable works in the name of the University of Texas. Any other opportunities that come your way, wonderful! It's all part of coming to the University of Texas!"

Definitely true re: big corporations. I was moreso referring to situations where we have to come up with a bigger number than what someone is getting on their own (ex: keeping Worthy). In that scenario, the solution could be someone on staff brokering deals with individual boosters/corps or just having One Fund step in to fill the gap themselves. I'm sure there's a plan and it doesn't need to be publicized, but the latter situation is what I had in mind.

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Tasted like melted velvetya. Had to add a little spice to it. That’s not white. 

Hey, I'm only judging the sentence as written here. Too much Velveeta isn't the same thing as too cheesy because Velveeta ain't cheese (I know Velveeta is frequently used for the dish).

Really I just chuckled because it's like saying the agua was too wet. It was a language joke, not a culinary one. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 2