Elite private schools and college admissions

Sawbonz

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

No contest between the two unless you want to watch doppler radar for a living.

That and oil and gas.  If you want to do that, OU is a much better choice.  Business schools are about a push but the opportunities in Northwest Arkansas are significantly better than Norman/OKC.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Same.  And while it would pain me for any one of my kids to go to the University of Arkansas, I've heard that Fayetteville is a damn fine college town, not that unlike Austin 20 years ago, and is not as politically red as the rest of that state. 

Believe they allow Texas kids to pay in-state tuition, so it's attractive to many.  

5 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

the opportunities in Northwest Arkansas are significantly better than Norman/OKC.

Just the general campus atmosphere seems so much more in Arky's favor. I have no UT level hatred for OU but Fayetteville feels like a great college town and Norman always felt pretty lame outside of gameday. Hell I've had a lot more fun in College Station than I have in Norman.

My kids are getting a great education right now.  Probably by the time they finish high school they will be far past where I was as a college grad. 

If my son, who is already a problem solver and aspiring entrepreneur, wants to learn a trade and open his own business, I’ll support that fully.   College is overrated (the experience isn’t, but what you learn is).  I tend to think a kid with some smarts, desire and some trade skills could make killing creating their own business.  Especially with parental support/financing.  A lot more useful to society than most college degrees anyway.  

My daughter wants to be a doctor.  So that’s a different story. 

Was in Tulsa a few weekends ago.  Not a bad town, and the campus is nice.  My son really liked it and it's on his radar now.  I'm lukewarm about it, so who knows.  

Daughter has a laser focus on Rice after visiting the campus and learning more about the school.  Fingers crossed.  Won't be easy.  

5 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I think what we’re fencing around is that Texas badly needs more universities.  

Well, we also need to realize that we have some rising universities already that are plenty good -- eg, UTD, UT Arlington, UTSA.  Those are rapidly becoming as "good" as UT was 30+ years ago.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Just the general campus atmosphere seems so much more in Arky's favor. I have no UT level hatred for OU but Fayetteville feels like a great college town and Norman always felt pretty lame outside of gameday. Hell I've had a lot more fun in College Station than I have in Norman.

As someone who knows both schools and both towns very well, I would agree with that.  Fayetteville is a college town whereas Norman is part college town, part suburb.  Central Norman has a college feel but Central Fayetteville is much better.  Great mix of college bars, retail, upscale dining, and entertainment.  If our lives weren’t in Central Bentonville, we’d be in Central Fayetteville.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

That's not it at all.   The large public systems, like the UC's, have determined that the standardized tests are inherently culturally/socio-economically biased.  They are trying to even the playing field.  A lot of schools are test optional, but systems like the UC's are test blind, meaning they won't even look at your scores.

Yes I realize the UCs are now TO/TB and is their long-term policy, but the impetus behind most everyone else in the country going TO the last 2 years was because of Covid restrictions. That is the question I was answering. Some may reinstate and some may not. TO is probably a big reason apps were up so much all around.

https://www.urban.org/research/publication/how-test-optional-college-admissions-expanded-during-covid-19-pandemic

Edited by used2b
  • Hook 'Em 1

Man this thread is giving me anxiety. I don't even have kids, but it's taking me back to my senior year in high school and my hands are sweating.

I know this is surly and eveyone's kid is valedictorian, aced the ACT and/or SAT and is #1 in their class BUT..
And I'm being serious here...what is happening to kids that are like me, when I was graduating?  I know someone upthread mentioned his son was an avg student that would rather hang with his friends and chase tail.  That was me coming out of HS.  
I went to a good private school in Houston, was a middling/average student, decent multi-sport athlete and a horrible test taker.  Really only wanted to go to UT.  I think I only applied to UT and Tech.
 Went to Texas via the provisional program.

Where are the type kids going these days?

Doing their required stuff at the feeder/provisional UT schools and then transferring in for the last two years in Austin.

1 minute ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Doing their required stuff at the feeder/provisional UT schools and then transferring in for the last two years in Austin.

I think the CAP program is a better option.  Hell you probably have kids that bail on UT and end up staying at UTD or UTSA for all 4 years

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

.If my son, who is already a problem solver and aspiring entrepreneur, wants to learn a trade and open his own business, I’ll support that fully.   College is overrated (the experience isn’t, but what you learn is).  I tend to think a kid with some smarts, desire and some trade skills could make killing creating their own business.  Especially with parental support/financing.  A lot more useful to society than most college degrees anyway.  

I forgot which, but theres a few schools that promote entrepreneurship. I dont think it’s a bad thing for some “formal” education in things such as basic business law, accounting, finance, and other building blocks of operations. 

This is what I want for my kid as well: not an inclination towards a specific field, but a general spirit of venture and creativity 

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, we also need to realize that we have some rising universities already that are plenty good -- eg, UTD, UT Arlington, UTSA.  Those are rapidly becoming as "good" as UT was 30+ years ago.

I hope this continues to be the case. I know UTD is held in high regard with people that actually know these things (unfortunately not the mid-management aggy that’s hiring fresh out of school kids) but UTSA was extremely lacking 15 years ago.  Lots of good looking women, and nice atmosphere, though. 

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This. We don't need to open more Angelo State or Sam Houston campuses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This. We don't need to open more Angelo State or Sam Houston campuses. 

Correct.  There are enough higher education admission slots in Texas to match the demand.  We just need to make sure those options are improving.

Even the lower-tier schools you mentioned will improve -- rising tide, all boats, etc.

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Believe they allow Texas kids to pay in-state tuition, so it's attractive to many.  

They do.  Other schools in the south have in-state reciprocity agreements with Texas for certain schools.  I believe Texas kids can get in-state tuition at a lot of other SEC schools such as LSU, Bama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Florida.  There are Texas schools offering the same for kids from those state, though the University of Texas is not one of them.  There's a website out there that has this information but I can't seem to find it.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's fairly accurate.  State schools in states with declining or flat populations will let most anyone in.  It's a product and they have slots to fill and not enough kids from their states.  University of Arkansas throws around out of state fee waivers like monopoly money.  Alabama is something like 65% out of state kids.  

Those options are a lot more attractive than some directional state school.

Oregon was very generous with merit aid for out of state kids with good grades. My kid got 10K.  Alabama will give you all sorts of money. My oldest was offered instate at University of Kentucky based on grades.  As mentioned: if you do a cost analysis and planning on going to graduate school, picking the best cost to ratio school makes an enormous amount of sense.

Edited by Bateshorn

43 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that there's not a UT campus in Houston.  

What's the deal with UH? We're always hearing about how they're shedding that CoogHigh label and becoming a serious university and I see they've done a ton of construction. Has their reputation changed any in the state?

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's fairly accurate.  State schools in states with declining or flat populations will let most anyone in.  It's a product and they have slots to fill and not enough kids from their states.  University of Arkansas throws around out of state fee waivers like monopoly money.  Alabama is something like 65% out of state kids.  

The two big state universities in Oklahoma would die were it not for the influx of students from Texas.

• Like 1

It’s 51% out of state.

And that flipped a couple of years ago. Back in my day, OOS students at Alabama (like me), made up like 13% of students.

An analogous situation is Jersey Students.  Because New Jersey only has Rutgers (Princeton is basically impossibe to get into), the East Coast is swimming in kids from NJ.  Both Public and Private.
I interviewed at UDel awhile back, and I remember one of the professors bitching about how all of the students were from Jersey.

High school girlfriend is the smartest person I’ve ever met.  (Think Good Will Hunting.)

She made B’s and C’s at a public school in Oklahoma.  She maxed out every single test so OU money whipped her and she proceeded to flunk out of Music Theater because she liked to smoke weed more than going to class.

Dropped out and moved to Arizona where she worked at the Grand Canyon and smoked more weed.

After a few years, she realized she was a burnout.  Then enrolled in some directional Arizona school and majored in engineering.  They didn’t want to let her in because of her grades at OU.  Taught herself math and physics and basically tested in as a senior.  (“I just read the books from the bookstore.”)

Then she applies to Stanford Engineering where they gave her a full ride because she maxed out the GMAT or something.  She finished with a Masters and PhD, both in Aerospace Engineering.  She would later work at NASA on the Mars landing project.

She said grad school, she was surrounded by people who all went to the elite schools mentioned in this thread.  Through blood, sweat, tears, and their parents money, they were able to get to sit next to her at Stanford where she flunked out of OU to get high.

Best part is years later, Trump would nominate a Congressman from Tulsa to head NASA.  They were flipped out.  They told her they were flying her to DC to meet with Birdenstine.  

“Why me?”

”Well, you’re from Oklahoma.”

She explained that if you look at the rolls of NASA, it’s a bunch of Asian names and then some ol gal from Oklahoma.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I know this is contra to the reason for college but that school experience would blow.

Yeah, giving up all the friends you’ve made in your first two years and finishing up somewhere else would be difficult. Do you just suck it up and become that one weirdo junior that lives in a dorm to meet people? Maybe it’s different nowadays since kids are only friends online anyway.

Yeah, giving up all the friends you’ve made in your first two years and finishing up somewhere else would be difficult. Do you just suck it up and become that one weirdo junior that lives in a dorm to meet people? Maybe it’s different nowadays since kids are only friends online anyway.

I ran into a few people from high school at Texas. They transferred in from UTEP for Jr. Sr. Year. They would say they graduated from Texas. I call BS on that. Until you sat in a 300 plus student calculus class sweating the bell curve or chem class etc then it don’t count. When I went to UT they would spend the first two years trying to fail you out and many did. Freshman classes numbers would start at 10 and end with 5

That and get off my lawn!

37 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

I ran into a few people from high school at Texas. They transferred in from UTEP for Jr. Sr. Year. They would say they graduated from Texas. I call BS on that. Until you sat in a 300 plus student calculus class sweating the bell curve or chem class etc then it don’t count. When I went to UT they would spend the first two years trying to fail you out and many did. Freshman classes numbers would start at 10 and end with 5

That and get off my lawn!

I transferred in to UT and say that I graduated from Texas.  Got two degrees in fact.  And I wasn’t even born here.  

It should be noted in the APLU corporate recruiter preference survey, Texas has three schools in the top 25:

Other institutions in the top 10 included Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), New York University (NYU), The Ohio State University, Penn State University, UCLA, Arizona State and Cal Poly. The top 25 featured two other institutions from the state, Texas A&M University and the University of Texas, along with Brown University, Columbia University, Duke University, Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech), the University of Michigan, the University of California-Berkeley, and the University of Virginia.

That survey is bullshit!  Know how I know?  They list "the University of Michigan", "the University of California-Berkeley", "the University of Virginia", and "the University of Texas."  But make it a point to capitalize "The Ohio State University."  Which means they are cunts.  And stupid ones at that.  Fuck that whole school.  Into THE fucking ground.

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That survey is bullshit!  Know how I know?  They list "the University of Michigan", "the University of California-Berkeley", "the University of Virginia", and "the University of Texas."  But make it a point to capitalize "The Ohio State University."  Which means they are cunts.  And stupid ones at that.  Fuck that whole school.  Into THE fucking ground.

Texas A&M is also capitalized. I think you’re on to something.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

In California it's been SOP to go to a 2 year, then transfer into the UC system for decades.  I don't know if that's still feasible, but I know plenty of UC grads who did that.

Yeah, but the road is littered with kids who thought that was the way to go, but fucked off at JC and were fucked.  You need to ace it.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

It's absolutely ridiculous that there's not a UT campus in Houston.  

I was going to post the same thing!  

Not to go full Lobo but I ran into Admiral McRaven at the Tarrytown Starbucks a few months back and I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not inquiring about it.  

35 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Not to go full Lobo but I ran into Admiral McRaven at the Tarrytown Starbucks a few months back and I’ve been kicking myself ever since for not inquiring about it.  

Lobo isn't allowed anywhere in Tarrytown , he's Mexican.  Choose your swipes more accurately

Should’ve went for it. I’m sure he loves drunk homeless guys approaching him in public.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I hope this continues to be the case. I know UTD is held in high regard with people that actually know these things (unfortunately not the mid-management aggy that’s hiring fresh out of school kids) but UTSA was extremely lacking 15 years ago.  Lots of good looking women, and nice atmosphere, though. 

The SAT profile for entering freshmen is higher than that of UT Austin.