Elite private schools and college admissions

Sawbonz

10 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My wife has a side gig where she helps kids with figuring out the best/realistic schools for them, setting expectations for the family and helps them polish their essays.  She doesn't advertise and only uses word of mouth.  She has to turn away work.  

Of course she doesn't charge enough imo but there are times of the year where she's bombarded with parents wanting help. 

These are mostly upper middle class families from good schools too.  She started doing it so she could help kids and families from underprivileged schools but so far there have been just a couple. 

Sweet side hustle. Have here raise her rates. You may lose a few customers but that doesn't mean the total revenue drops. Might even go up. Then offer free or low-price services to underprivileged kids. 

1 hour ago, Brew said:

She and her mom got together and decided to meet with a college coach. Her high school has 3 college advisors for a class of about 70 which seems like plenty to me, but I guess this is a new phenomenon that has been added to the mix. Hopefully, it’s not the Aunt Becky version that requires me to write a massive check to gain admittance.

It's definitely a phenomenon, at least in my Austin circle.  In addition to more personal attention to help with the whole process, good private college counselors also point kids in the direction of some out-of-state schools that can offer scholarships or other financial aid to reduce the tuition bite.

As an example, one friend's kid is going to University of Oregon, which wasn't even on his and his parents' radar, in part because out-of-state tuition is pretty high.  But his private counselor encouraged him to attend because he had prior experience of placing other kids there who were able to get pretty significant financial aid, and Oregon ended up giving the kid a financial aid package that made the cost comparable to University of Texas.

Man this thread is giving me anxiety. I don't even have kids, but it's taking me back to my senior year in high school and my hands are sweating.

I know this is surly and eveyone's kid is valedictorian, aced the ACT and/or SAT and is #1 in their class BUT..

And I'm being serious here...what is happening to kids that are like me, when I was graduating?  I know someone upthread mentioned his son was an avg student that would rather hang with his friends and chase tail.  That was me coming out of HS.  

I went to a good private school in Houston, was a middling/average student, decent multi-sport athlete and a horrible test taker.  Really only wanted to go to UT.  I think I only applied to UT and Tech.

Went to Texas via the provisional program.

Where are the type kids going these days?

13 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

I've only met a couple but one got a PhD from Notre Dame and is now a teanured Great Texts prof and the other played football there and got a kickass job in Seattle. I've always liked Rice.

I know two guys that fit this description. Both are great, sharp dudes. 

12 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

My daughter was in love with Rice up until she started seriously looking at colleges.  Their webinars were crap, the on campus visit was crap, and she finally didn't bother scheduling an interview.  By far the worst school experience she had.  UT was pretty good, not top notch, but good for a state school.

13 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Dirty secret: much like UVA, Rice is acquiring a bit of a reputation for all hat, no cattle on the eastern seaboard. 

Things really changed when Malcolm Gillis retired. It's a shame. 

10 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Man this thread is giving me anxiety. I don't even have kids, but it's taking me back to my senior year in high school and my hands are sweating.

I know this is surly and eveyone's kid is valedictorian, aced the ACT and/or SAT and is #1 in their class BUT..

And I'm being serious here...what is happening to kids that are like me, when I was graduating?  I know someone upthread mentioned his son was an avg student that would rather hang with his friends and chase tail.  That was me coming out of HS.  

I went to a good private school in Houston, was a middling/average student, decent multi-sport athlete and a horrible test taker.  Really only wanted to go to UT.  I think I only applied to UT and Tech.

What's kind of a bummer is that UT when it let in err'body had a reputation of producing pretty outstanding graduates, even though the feedstock wasn't spectacular on paper.

Twenty or 30 years ago, some recruiter or admissions person said UT gets a lot of "scary smart" kids that maybe underachieved in high school.

I think that's reflected in this board and the Longhorn internets over the years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

I suppose they are the majority.  There are thousands of collegiate options across the country and many state schools are swelling their ranks.  Then you have associates, online, and JUCO options, there are tons of avenues if you can cut the check.  

Edited by BabaYaga

30 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

We probably sat next to each other in high school.  Also went to a good private school in Houston.  I wasn't provisional, but I managed to get just high enough on the SAT to overcome a middling class rank at said competitive private school to get into UT.  What once was provisional is now the program where you can attend another UT campus for a year or two and, if your grades are good, you can gain admission to UT Austin.  I can't recall the name of it. 

Or there's Tech.  I know quite a few very successful Tech grads. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What's kind of a bummer is that UT when it let in err'body had a reputation of producing pretty outstanding graduates, even though the feedstock wasn't spectacular on paper.

Twenty or 30 years ago, some recruiter or admissions person said UT gets a lot of "scary smart" kids that maybe underachieved in high school.

I think that's reflected in this board and the Longhorn internets over the years.

too many applications at the top schools now for them to look at under achievers, is my guess 

What schools did your kids use as comfortable admits above safety schools? I did a bit of research on the top schools that have >30% acceptance rates. Interesting list of schools...

Used USNews which is always controversial...

#28 (tie) UC Santa Barbara (which it feels like it'll be under 30% now according to @Sbbruin's reports)

#28 (tie) Florida 

#28 (tie) Wake Forest

#34 (tie) UC San Diego

#34 (tie) Rochester

#38 (tie) UC Irvine

#38 (tie) Texas

#38 (tie) William & Mary (42%!)

I know a lot of these are tougher for out of state kids, but that W&M acceptance rate looks great especially for kids who are looking at the humanities.

19 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What schools did your kids use as comfortable admits above safety schools? I did a bit of research on the top schools that have >30% acceptance rates. Interesting list of schools...

Used USNews which is always controversial...

#28 (tie) UC Santa Barbara (which it feels like it'll be under 30% now according to @Sbbruin's reports)

#28 (tie) Florida 

#28 (tie) Wake Forest

#34 (tie) UC San Diego

#34 (tie) Rochester

#38 (tie) UC Irvine

#38 (tie) Texas

#38 (tie) William & Mary (42%!)

I know a lot of these are tougher for out of state kids, but that W&M acceptance rate looks great especially for kids who are looking at the humanities.

I don't care what grades you have.  None of the UC's would be considered "safety" schools.  Especially now, as admissions criteria are SO subjective.  My son was denied to school's that kids with worse grades got accepted to.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't care what grades you have.  None of the UC's would be considered "safety" schools.  Especially now, as admissions criteria are SO subjective.  My son was denied to school's that kids with worse grades got accepted to.  

Yeah I can see that being the case. I probably should've thrown out a few other schools that always look good on the ole resume but are relatively easy to get admitted for top tier students.

Wisconsin - 57%

Washington - 56%

Illinois - 63%

Georgia -48%

Maryland -51%

SMU -53%

The debate on these out of state schools vs a tier 2 in state school (for Texas kids at least) and money probably gives places like Tech or A&M a leg up, but I'd rather attend any of those over Tech or A&M personally. Top students could probably expect some nice $$$ from those places too.

Of course, like you mentioned earlier getting into an individual program at these schools can be tougher.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You're really harshing my buzz man. Daughter is in kindergarten this year. I assume by 2034, her options will be DeVry or A&M.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, used2b said:

The last few years of test optional admissions has changed the game and applications were way up at most of the top 50/100 schools. I am sure some will go back to requiring it.

My oldest is a senior and was auto admit to UT. But his first choice was Miami and he got in. They had 50k applications. He is thrilled.

I must have been sleeping, but when did schools stop requiring SAT/ACT and what was the reasoning behind it?

4 hours ago, Brew said:

Both of mine will leave the state and most likely the south (unless UNC works out) and probably not come back which I’m good with. Maybe it has always been that way, but a lot of the graduating classes from their school end up in the northeast in school.

She and her mom got together and decided to meet with a college coach. Her high school has 3 college advisors for a class of about 70 which seems like plenty to me, but I guess this is a new phenomenon that has been added to the mix. Hopefully, it’s not the Aunt Becky version that requires me to write a massive check to gain admittance.

Yeah, it's looking more and more likely the boy might end up at Northeastern or RPI.  I'm happy with either, but both have tremendous placement records with prominent companies...in the Northeast.  Would be brutal if he ended up living in back east, but if it sets him on a career path, then my job is done.  

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

My youngest is none of those things, she will either be at free community college, a state school with cheap tuition, tiktok famous and making more than me, or jail maybe.

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You're really harshing my buzz man. Daughter is in kindergarten this year. I assume by 2034, her options will be DeVry or A&M.

You live in Pasadena.  Get ready for 12 years of private school.  I've spent more in tuition to date for my kids than I will sending them to college, no mater where they go.

Just now, used2b said:

Covid restrictions. Many testing centers shut down.

That's not it at all.   The large public systems, like the UC's, have determined that the standardized tests are inherently culturally/socio-economically biased.  They are trying to even the playing field.  A lot of schools are test optional, but systems like the UC's are test blind, meaning they won't even look at your scores.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You live in Pasadena.  Get ready for 12 years of private school.  I've spent more in tuition to date for my kids than I will sending them to college, no mater where they go.

Already there. Mayfield Junior. Although my wife works at South Pasadena unified, so we could send her there.

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Already there. Mayfield Junior. Although my wife works at South Pasadena unified, so we could send here there.

Ha, know many folks who have gone there.  South Pas would be a good option.  Not quite San Marino or LCUSD, but definitely quality.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Foosters said:

This is my fear.  I've been taking my oldest to Rice/UT baseball games every year and telling her that either of these are acceptable.  Only to hear everyone's kids hate UT and Rice is losing it's prestige.  This thread gives me legit anxiety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

This is my fear.  I've been taking my oldest to Rice/UT baseball games every year and telling her that either of these are acceptable.  Only to hear everyone's kids hate UT and Rice is losing it's prestige.  This thread gives me legit anxiety. 

There are plenty of people that are loving their life at UT and Rice right now. There are also plenty of people at UT-Arlington and the University of New Orleans that are loving life. Find her fit and she'll be just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

There are plenty of people that are loving their life at UT and Rice right now. There are also plenty of people at UT-Arlington and the University of New Orleans that are loving life. Find her fit and she'll be just fine.

I went to a shitty college.  While it has all worked out for me, to date, I had to bust my ass 2x as hard as my big state school peers to make that happen (that's fine, they were smarter and likely had more rigorous learning in college).  Like anything else, just trying to give them the best path I can, on the lessons I learned the hard way. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Hey don't count out UTEP

The University of Texas at El Paso/Acceptance rate
100%

I took a class or two over the summers between UT - The campus is really nice.. if you like Southwest architecture. Now.. would I spend 4 years there.. No.. I spent my childhood in that dump and left for Austin the day I graduated HS. Their geology department is supposed to be really good..that's all I got. 

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

The worst thing you can probably do is to put doubt about a school in your kid's head because of other people's kids' feelings you read on the internet. 

She has to find her own fit.  

I am often so glad I ignored my mom (Rice so I could be close(r) to home) and my friends (who all went to aggy) and chose my own path. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

caddyshack-judge-smails.gif

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

For my youngest child's sake, who may be inclined to stay in state for college, I'm happy if word is getting around that everyone's kids hate UT.  Kind of like saying that Austin sucks so don't move here.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

The worst thing you can probably do is to put doubt about a school in your kid's head because of other people's kids' feelings you read on the internet. 

We're a long way from that.  I was being somewhat hyperbolic.  I did find it odd so many didn't "feel" the UT experience, especially being raised in orange houses.  Anecdotal, but everyone I know who's a Rice grad is killing/has killed it, so not really worried if they are losing a bit of shine, it's a great institution.  I fear aggy will be the answer if she strikes out of good schools. Goddamnit.

I'll fill in more here when we get a more firm plan with the boy, but here's an option that at least one of my kids (the one who went to an "elite" public school here in Austin, and was and is an academic star) went with: foreign university.

Canada has several damned good schools.  So does the UK.  And because they want paying international students, the admissions cutoffs aren't as brutal.  AND, the cost isn't that far off from a big state school.  You get a good degree, build a fully international network, and have a good experience (that's WAY different than our UT experience).

I know of a sizable number of smart kids -- who we'd like to see staying in the US/Texas and contributing to our economy -- who have gone that route.  Don't rule those schools out.

20 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

As long as it is not A&M.

I tell people all the time, I would gladly pay full out of state tuition to OU for my kids, versus a full ride to A&M.

I detest that place, and their alumni, that much.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I suppose they are the majority.  There are thousands of collegiate options across the country and many state schools are swelling their ranks.  Then you have associates, online, and JUCO options, there are tons of avenues if you can cut the check.  

That's fairly accurate.  State schools in states with declining or flat populations will let most anyone in.  It's a product and they have slots to fill and not enough kids from their states.  University of Arkansas throws around out of state fee waivers like monopoly money.  Alabama is something like 65% out of state kids.  

Those options are a lot more attractive than some directional state school.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That's fairly accurate.  State schools in states with declining or flat populations will let most anyone in.  It's a product and they have slots to fill and not enough kids from their states.  University of Arkansas throws around out of state fee waivers like monopoly money.  Alabama is something like 65% out of state kids.  

I definitely know a lot of local (Austin) kids at Arkie, Bama, and Auburn.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Same.  And while it would pain me for any one of my kids to go to the University of Arkansas, I've heard that Fayetteville is a damn fine college town, not that unlike Austin 20 years ago, and is not as politically red as the rest of that state. 

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Arky is something like 50% Arky kids and 25% Texas kids.  The remaining 25% are from surrounding states.  The niece is there now and in a four person room and the other three are all from Texas.  In the case of the state of Alabama, that state is getting old fast and they have three major schools if you count UAB.  They all got bills to pay and seats/dorms to fill.  

I know there is some Arky hate on this board but for those with above average kids and want them to avoid Aggy, I'd highly recommend Arky especially if they're a business major.  Take them on a visit.  The town is pretty and has a college vibe.  Then take them to College Station.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Noticed this trend as well.  Had a cousin that ended up at Ole Miss.  High School friends daughter to Arkansas

It's funny how things have changed over the years.

When I graduated high school in the early 90's, 90% of my friends went to UT or A&M.

Just now, South Austin said:

Same.  And while it would pain me for any one of my kids to go to the University of Arkansas, I've heard that Fayetteville is a damn fine college town, not that unlike Austin 20 years ago, and is not as politically red as the rest of that state. 

Was writing my response and you posted this but yes, Fayetteville is a funky, blue dot in a red fucked up state.  Cool town, too.

If you're a business major, Arky is a feeder school to the Walmart universe.  (That includes Tyson and JB Hunt.)

If I were a kid from Texas and couldn't get into UT, my choices would be OU and Arky and prolly go with Arky.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Arky is something like 50% Arky kids and 25% Texas kids.  The remaining 25% are from surrounding states.  The niece is there now and in a four person room and the other three are all from Texas.  In the case of the state of Alabama, that state is getting old fast and they have three major schools if you count UAB.  They all got bills to pay and seats/dorms to fill.  

I know there is some Arky hate on this board but for those with above average kids and want them to avoid Aggy, I'd highly recommend Arky especially if they're a business major.  Take them on a visit.  The town is pretty and has a college vibe.  Then take them to College Station.

We went for the (awful) football game this year.  Nice vibe of the town, pretty nature nearby, a shitload of Texas kids.  I mean, half the crowd we ran around with were Texas grads wearing orange, there to visit their Arkie kids wearing red.

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Noticed this trend as well.  Had a cousin that ended up at Ole Miss.  High School friends daughter to Arkansas

It's funny how things have changed over the years.

When I graduated high school in the early 90's, 90% of my friends went to UT or A&M.

If you look at college as a consumer product business, it makes more sense.  State of Texas has blown up over the past three decades and the major schools haven't really gotten much bigger so you have schools like UTSA and Houston growing to meet the demand.  Conversely, those states with flat to declining populations have to fill those slots.  If you look at Alabama football as a marketing tool for the school, that's where its value really is.