2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I haven’t seen a debut so easily described as “electric” since I don’t know when. The ones  that come to mind are (1) Kerry Wood (sorry) and (2) Lincecum. I’m sure there are better examples but those are the two debuts I remember watching that were as electric.

I don’t remember if it was “electric” but Jarred Cosart gave up  a 2 hits in 8 shutout innings in his MLB Astros debut in 2013. He had a no hitter going into the 7th 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I haven’t seen a debut so easily described as “electric” since I don’t know when. The ones  that come to mind are (1) Kerry Wood (sorry) and (2) Lincecum. I’m sure there are better examples but those are the two debuts I remember watching that were as electric. 

I didn't see J. R. Richards' 15-K debut in San Francisco, but I still remember listening to it on radio. Complete game, 155 pitches. He was every bit as devastating as advertised. 

https://sabr.org/journal/article/the-saga-of-j-r-richards-debut-blowing-away-15-sticks-at-candlestick/

2 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Strasburg's was pretty good.  14 Ks but he also gave up 2 runs.

What I love about Brown's debut and demonstrated potential is that it was basically an Alderaan moment for the rest of the league, not in a deadly way, but most definitely in a shock and awe manner.

"Furk, now Houston has another one..."

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Rewatching Altuve, if he guns it from the go, he’s easily safe 

If he does that I think he's out by even more because they will throw home quicker. He just needed to slide normally at the bag. On another note Jacob Melton crushed last week.

https://www.mlb.com/news/prospect-team-of-the-week-september-5-2022?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Small sample size yada yada, but if this dude produces for the rest of the season while we were trotting one-armed Jake out there…

Well it’s not like he had 1100 major league PAs as a sample size outside of 11 with SF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Small sample size yada yada, but if this dude produces for the rest of the season while we were trotting one-armed Jake out there…

There’s a much larger sample says that indicates he sucks. As bad as Meyers was this season, his triple slash line and wRC+ are basically identical to Brinson’s career average across over 1,000 plate appearances.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

He might be the dumbest baserunner I have ever seen.  The bizarro Bagwell.

How can you appreciate the good in life without realizing what it's counterpoint is?  He scored the winning run against the Yankees in 2019 that decided the series on the Correa double on a play he was out by 25 feet on and Sanchez forgot to catch the ball.  He scored once upon a time a sac fly on a pop up to the 2B standing in the IF, when the 2B was actually watching the play (no circus catch over the should or with a back to homeplate). He's stolen a bunch of bases in his career. He's uber aggressive. I think, for his career, he's probably a plus baserunner, but I must confess I don't have the stats. Does he do dumb stuff sometimes that has no purpose?  Yes.  A lot.  But the play he tried to make last night was pretty cool and almost/should have worked.  I'm here for all of it. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Fangraphs has his 5.9 Runs above average for his career.  He is, this year, -2.4.  His numbers by year:

0.1, 3.7, -3.1, 4.7, -4, 0.4, 4, 4.7, -5, 0.4, 2.5, -2.4

No rhyme or reason.  No clear patter of him diminishing what was once a great skill set.  He's just him.  Risking, daring, sometimes calculated and then just sometimes stupid.  Makes it fun. More fun than station to station boringness. 

An embarrassment of riches at SP. 

It would really hurt to lose JV.  I literally love him.  But if Brown is the real deal, then doesn't he become expendable at the high price?

What do you do with six quality starters?  One guy works from the pen? Six man rotation? Trade one of them? Good problem to have.

17 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

An embarrassment of riches at SP. 

It would really hurt to lose JV.  I literally love him.  But if Brown is the real deal, then doesn't he become expendable at the high price?

What do you do with six quality starters?  One guy works from the pen? Six man rotation? Trade one of them? Good problem to have.

We have more quality starting pitchers than we need. If it was just about the regular season the right choice is to probably let JV (and Montero and Maton) walk and use that $50M to get a top notch CF and a really good LF with that money instead. You'd basically then have all star OF, plus Bregman, Pena, Altuve, and Y Diaz, plus catcher at the same type of money with a rotation of Framber, LMJ, Javier, Brown, Urquidy & Garcia, and a bullpen of Presley, Abreu, Stanek, Neris, Martinez, Taylor, & 1 of Whitley, Bielak or Paredes

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You don’t fuck around and you make JV retire an Astro unless his arm falls off. 

But, it's not a regular season game and you want a legit stud ace to take the ball in the 1st game of the playoffs.  So, this is your horse and this is the way.