2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My God what the Ump Scorecards would’ve looked like for the games those 90s Braves pitched.

I was an Astros fan living in the ATL throughout that era. It was rough watching Glavine throw every pitch well off the plate but get the strike calls. You might as well swing, even if you couldn't reach it. 

I will admit, however, that pitches above the belt rarely were called strikes back then, so maybe it (nearly) averaged out. Overall, today's strike zone is much closer to what I believe baseball's founding fathers had in mind. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

I was an Astros fan living in the ATL throughout that era. It was rough watching Glavine throw every pitch well off the plate but get the strike calls. You might as well swing, even if you couldn't reach it. 

I will admit, however, that pitches above the belt rarely were called strikes back then, so maybe it (nearly) averaged out.

Narrator: It didn’t average out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I posted this up thread but the way this Espada/White Sox deal-no deal went down and Dusty simultaneously backpedaling some on coaching next year, leads me to think that a decision has been made regarding the Astros managerial situation for 2023. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I posted this up thread but the way this Espada/White Sox deal-no deal went down and Dusty simultaneously backpedaling some on coaching next year, leads me to think that a decision has been made regarding the Astros managerial situation for 2023. 

That’s gonna be really hard to keep under wraps for another 2 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Here's hoping that everything goes smoothly and Dusty can get his ring and ride off into the sunset....how Mack should have after 2009

• Hook 'Em 1

Fangraphs has a good write-up of the ALCS focusing on strikeout and home run rates.  This was my favorite line:

And in the ALCS, many of the strikeouts came with huge impact – of their 23 highest-leverage plate appearances, the Yankees went a remarkable 1-for-23 with 13 strikeouts and no walks, scoring just twice. By comparison, in their 11 highest-leverage trips to the plate, the Astros went 5-for-10 with a walk, two homers, nine runs, just one strikeout and the crucial error from Gleyber Torres on a potential double-play ball in the seventh inning Sunday that played a role in swinging Game 4 for Houston, adding 7.0% to their win probability

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-well-rounded-astros-are-a-handful/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

25 minutes ago, WBT said:

Fangraphs has a good write-up of the ALCS focusing on strikeout and home run rates.  This was my favorite line:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-well-rounded-astros-are-a-handful/

I still don't think Torres's flip was bad enough to get by IKF. It was bad enough to ruin the double play but even a mediocre play by the SS gets the out at 2nd.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Damn that was a good read. I need a cigarette. 

if you have an hour to kill, just scroll through mlbnetwork twitter for the past 48 hours.  lots of great 3-8 min videos.

ok full disclosure, when i posted the link, i did not think it would post all the tweets.  it was an accident but i'm glad it happened.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

BE6D92A1-3D65-4D34-AE97-CB6F473F0597.png

Kyle Tucker is a clear advantage on Castalanos. Better defender, better arm, stolen base threat etc. Yordan one of the best hitters in baseball and starting left fielder is better than scwarber what baseball are they watching. This is dumb. Yordan has played left field every game in post season right? I guess for tv you got to make it compelling right.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Kyle Tucker is a clear advantage on Castalanos. Better defender, better arm, stolen base threat etc. Yordan one of the best hitters in baseball and starting left fielder is better than scwarber what baseball are they watching. This is dumb. Yordan has played left field every game in post season right? I guess for tv you got to make it compelling right.

They considered Mancini the left fielder. Yordan was the DH with Harper for Philly. 

Just now, Dondrysdale1 said:

Which means they were constructing it so Philly won matchups. Mancini has not played left field in this series right or even playoffs?

I’m sure they tried to drum up some because one point the host guy who I can’t remember remarked how they were agreeing on everything. It’s a wash because if Yordan gets left field whoever we put at DH is demolished by Harper. I think they really just wanted to talk Yordan and Harper head to head. I was kind of surprised Hoskins over Yuli. Both guys were about left for dead a few weeks ago and have come alive in playoffs.

11 minutes ago, WBT said:

Is it Friday yet?

Bored Wait GIF by FirstAndMonday

I'm actually busier than F at work with visitors THU-FRI from boss' boss and entourage, while also having in-law cousins in town tonight.  I have told myself repeatedly, " can't wait till Friday night!"

LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by slorch

So let's talk roster

I am guessing Smith on Martinez off is probably only move

Only other thing I could possibly see is Meyers for Hensley, but would probably rather it just stay the same.

Wanna get crazy as fuck?  Put Korey Lee/Yanier on for Hensley and DH Vasquez.  I still want Machete catching.