2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Framberlamps

the Verlander

Javier

LMJ

Repeat...

Gives JV his 5 days off and pitches twice.  Framber goes on 4 days rest, but hopefully he's not as affected as the older JV.

What?

With a 4 man rotation, Framber/JV will start two games on normal rest no matter which order they go in

but it will be JV on the mound for game 1.

30 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Framber:

image.thumb.png.af86f596187c59c82f30cf8c424f26b2.png

JV:

image.thumb.png.0b0dcc343e7ef699d59965e94f1ae4c0.png

I get what you’re saying but the way the staff was managed all year was not “normal” (6 man rotation with 5 days rest).

It was all done with this exact goal in mind: not worn down and on top of their game in late October whenever every other team is exhausted. 

I’m sure the last thing  JV/Framber want right now is more rest between starts. 

I do get your point that the game 2 starter will be getting an “extra” day of rest compared to a normal 5 man rotation (but  not extra compared to what they did most of the season), I just don’t think it’ll be JV getting that.

he’s the Cy Young award winner and will be throwing the first pitch Friday night 

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Framber:

image.thumb.png.af86f596187c59c82f30cf8c424f26b2.png

JV:

image.thumb.png.0b0dcc343e7ef699d59965e94f1ae4c0.png

I did misread that you said "for most of this year" which is fair.  But the league standard is 4 days, then a start.  We pitched a 6 man rotation a lot of the year, or had days off that worked well.  But I get what you were saying now.

• Hook 'Em 1

2-3-2 with proper off days between cities 

but I want to know, why haven’t they made start times official?
i assume they’ll all be just after 7pm Central
7:09 was all the ones last year except Sunday game which I think was like 7:15

I would expect the same (no sunday game this year)

3 minutes ago, Scraps said:

7:09 was all the ones last year except Sunday game which I think was like 7:15

I would expect the same (no sunday game this year)

Right

seems like a no brainer

just seems odd it’s not “official” yet

wonder if they aren’t kicking around slightly earlier start times after all the bitching every year about games ending close to midnight eastern.

Edited by UTexasFight

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Took a moment this morning to be a little nostalgic. I was too young for 1980 but my first baseball memory is being heartbroken and, yes, crying in 1986 when I was 9 years old. My parents had taken me to a game that season where José Cruz beat the Cardinals with a walkoff homer and I was instantly hooked. Baseball was my favorite sport starting with that moment, and the Astros were my first favorite team. 

Starting there and going through the '90s playoff failures, etc. These are the glory days, lady and gentlemen. Enjoy every minute of it. 

I was 10 in 1986.  I vividly remember the Rockets losing in the Finals to the Celtics and the Astros losing the NLCS to the Mets.  I know I've said this a million times on here, but I was at Game 1 when Scotty outdueled Gooden.  But oh, did that series end up hurting.

I was hoping for NYM in this World Series to exorcise that demon.  But I tend to think of NY/Bos/Philly as one giant group of shitheads, so this'll do.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I've been thinking this morning about last year's WS.  These were our cumulative pitching stats:

image.png.e07a1603fd983f9d687530c4b85b7e3b.png

24 of 52 innings were thrown by guys that are no longer in the organization or are not on the playoff roster this year.  12.1 more were by Garcia and Urquidy who are break glass in case of emergency guys this year.

Framber, Garcia, and Javier were all bad...I think they'll do much better this time around.

It's kind of amazing that Urquidy, who has 3 WS wins in his career hasn't thrown an inning in the playoffs this year.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WBT said:

I've been thinking this morning about last year's WS.  These were our cumulative pitching stats:

24 of 52 innings were thrown by guys that are no longer in the organization or are not on the playoff roster this year.  12.1 more were by Garcia and Urquidy who are break glass in case of emergency guys this year.

Framber, Garcia, and Javier were all bad...I think they'll do much better this time around.

It's kind of amazing that Urquidy, who has 3 WS wins in his career hasn't thrown an inning in the playoffs this year.

4.333 runs a game shouldn’t be the bad end of a 4-2 loss- I will always blame that WS on inept hitting and not mediocre but not terrible pitching. 
but yeah- I bet this years looks completely different. 

34 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Took a moment this morning to be a little nostalgic. I was too young for 1980 but my first baseball memory is being heartbroken and, yes, crying in 1986 when I was 9 years old. My parents had taken me to a game that season where José Cruz beat the Cardinals with a walkoff homer and I was instantly hooked. Baseball was my favorite sport starting with that moment, and the Astros were my first favorite team. 

Starting there and going through the '90s playoff failures, etc. These are the glory days, lady and gentlemen. Enjoy every minute of it. 

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I was 10 in 1986.  I vividly remember the Rockets losing in the Finals to the Celtics and the Astros losing the NLCS to the Mets.  I know I've said this a million times on here, but I was at Game 1 when Scotty outdueled Gooden.  But oh, did that series end up hurting.

I was hoping for NYM in this World Series to exorcise that demon.  But I tend to think of NY/Bos/Philly as one giant group of shitheads, so this'll do.

We are all be about the same age (I was 9 in ‘86). That Mets series was absolutely my first (and still the worst) sports heartbreak. That season was awesome. I went to the game where Deshaies struck out the first 8 Dodgers and Lasorda pinch hit for his pitcher in the 3rd haha. But yeah, that Craig Reynolds call, Dykstra HR, extra inning game 6 with Scott ready to go for game 7…it was brutal.

Really hoping the boys can pull this one off. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

1.588 WHIP, 0 ER: The Phil Maton experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I'll share my memory from the 1980 NLCS.  We were invited to sit in the Hofheinz box for Game 5 and afterward went down the elevator to the waiting area outside the Astros clubhouse. I was bored and discovered a stairwell to a tunnel and across a catwalk under the stands to the Astros dugout.  I sat there for a minute, worked up my nerves, and then walked across the field to sit in the Phillies dugout.  I kept waiting for someone to stop me or yell at me, but no one did.  I could hear the Phillies celebration, so I followed the tunnel out of the dugout and up to the door of the visitor's clubhouse.  I watched the celebration and wandered around until someone screamed at me to get my ass out of there.  By the time I got back to where I started most of those outside the Astros clubhouse were gone and no one even noticed I had left. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I'll share my memory from the 1980 NLCS.  We were invited to sit in the Hofheinz box for Game 5 and afterward went down the elevator to the waiting area outside the Astros clubhouse. I was bored and discovered a stairwell to a tunnel and across a catwalk under the stands to the Astros dugout.  I sat there for a minute, worked up my nerves, and then walked across the field to sit in the Phillies dugout.  I kept waiting for someone to stop me or yell at me, but no one did.  I could hear the Phillies celebration, so I followed the tunnel out of the dugout and up to the door of the visitor's clubhouse.  I watched the celebration and wandered around until someone screamed at me to get my ass out of there.  By the time I got back to where I started most of those outside the Astros clubhouse were gone and no one even noticed I had left. 

would have been cooler if you shot Pete rose 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Hope so. I'm getting 2019 and 2021 vibes with the darling, underdog-hot NL team, but I'm a pessimist. Thankfully these players aren't.

I believe the four days off are really going to impact Philly in a negative way.  Realize the Astros face the same thing, but have that playoff/WS experience to handle it better.

9 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

If it helps, I did throw up on his shoes outside Trader Vic's during a Phi Delt rush event a couple of years later. 

Ill Allow It GIF

Just now, Scraps said:

I think our pitchers going balls deep in their ass is gonna impact them in a negative way

Urquidy has 3 World Series wins and has yet to pitch 

Edited by tx 3 putt

2 minutes ago, Wade said:

I believe the four days off are really going to impact Philly in a negative way.  Realize the Astros face the same thing, but have that playoff/WS experience to handle it better.

That’s my hope as well

I posted somewhere yesterday during the Phillies game that I was leaning towards them just finishing off the job and getting a long layoff.

I think Phillies lose more by the bats sitting around a week than they gain in arms being well rested.