The NBA Finals- Warriors vs Cavs

Goo Punch

35 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Because he didn't - TJ Ford did.  Going to the Final Four puts the program on the map.

Whatever fucking map KD put the program that has UT losing in the 1st and 2nd round, can someone please take it off?

Do you not understand what “put on the map” means? It doesn’t mean that we were necessarily successful. It means that KD showed other AAs that Texas is a place you can go and become a star. You don’t have to go to Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. TJ made it possible to go after someone like KD, KD showed other AAs that’s Texas can get you to the big time.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Do you not understand what “put on the map” means? It doesn’t mean that we were necessarily successful. It means that KD showed other AAs that Texas is a place you can go and become a star. You don’t have to go to Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. TJ made it possible to go after someone like KD, KD showed other AAs that’s Texas can get you to the big time.

It don't mean fuck all if the team is less successful than they were before.  Why should anyone care how many if Texas has an AA or AAAAAAs? All the McDonald's and rivals rankings don't mean squat

It don't mean fuck all if the team is less successful than they were before.  Why should anyone care how many if Texas has an AA or AAAAAAs? All the McDonald's and rivals rankings don't mean squat

No man. AAs and recruiting is all that matters. Results on the court are secondary. Getting to a Final 4 means nothing. Losing in the 2nd round is what puts a program on the map. I'm fucking laughing even typing this that people really hold this thought. They create some narrative in their head and move the goal posts as they go on.

If you think KD put Texas on the map and not a Final 4 appearance, well then you are pretty fucking dumb and delusional.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Oh, and the homeless. Went to Fisherman's Wharf a few years back. Broad daylight. Came out and the window on my Audi looked like this. What did they steal? A homeless guy stole a blanket my daughter(5 at the time) was using on the trip over. Guy passing by says it happens more than once a day.

ouch.jpg

Part of the problem with this city is all the tourists who feel the need to drive to Fisherman's Wharf.

4 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Before KD how many HS AA did we have?  Aldridge, Gibson?

Since..Turner, Kabongo, Bamba, Bradley, Hamilton, Joseph, Thompson, Allen

I'm sure i forgot a few.   

KD made a huge impact on the perception of UT hoops. Now we need a coach to maximize that

jordan hamilton wasn't an aa. 

2000 - 2001:  brian boddicker, tj ford

after TJ ford but before kd 2002 - 2006:  brad buckman, daniel gibson, lamarcus aldridge, cj miles, kd, dj augustin (and almost darrell arthur!)

post kd 2006 - 2018:  avery bradley, trisory josetan, cph, kabongo, cam ridley, myles turner, jarrett allen, bamba

in the 4 years after TJ hit campus we got 6 mcd's AAs.  in the 12 years after kd hit campus we've gotten 8. 

i was on campus before and after tj came.  before tj, the biggest basketball news was chris owens and chris mihm being drafted. the expectations for tj after he made his commitment, before he even graduated high school, caused a pretty significant buzz on campus.  it was pretty akin to the cedric benson commit.  that final four run with tj and co was unreal.  the basketball expectations after that were never the same.  tj was the one who put us on the map.

Edited by gsoda3
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Part of the problem with this city is all the tourists who feel the need to drive to Fisherman's Wharf.

You must've missed the part where I lived in Cali at the time, my wife was born in Berkeley, and her biological(she was adopted at birth) parents(from Oakland) live in Dublin, while her sister lives in San Fran.......but what do I know?

17 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

after TJ ford but before kd 2002 - 2006:  brad buckman, daniel gibson, lamarcus aldridge, cj miles, kd, dj augustin (and almost darrell arthur!)

post kd 2006 - 2018:  avery bradley, trisory josetan, cph, kabongo, cam ridley, myles turner, jarrett allen, bamba

in the 4 years after TJ hit campus we got 6 mcd's AAs.  in the 12 years after kd hit campus we've gotten 8. 

i was on campus before and after tj came.  before tj, the biggest basketball news was chris owens and chris mihm being drafted. the expectations for tj after he made his commitment, before he even graduated high school, caused a pretty significant buzz on campus.  it was pretty akin to the cedric benson commit.  that final four run with tj and co was unreal.  the basketball expectations after that were never the same.  tj was the one who put us on the map.

Thank you for at least understanding the discussion even if you disagree unlike the other two who cannot even figure out the premise.

I know that the running narrative is that LeBron is carrying a bunch of scrubs against 4 future Hall of Famers and, 9 times out of 10, that's true, but Game 3 is on him, triple-double be damned. Only two of the 4 Hall of Famers showed up on Wednesday for Golden State (and Draymond only defensively), and the Splash Brothers got vastly out-produced by Rodney Hood and JR Smith. Kevin Love also showed up big at home. And, despite all that, it never really felt like Cleveland was going to win. KD out-dueled the entire Cavs' roster, including Bron, in an absolute must win game for them.

The most damning stat has been how ineffective LeBron has been on Steph all series when he's gotten that matchup. Golden State has been letting him have that switch easily almost every time, and he's done literally nothing with it: in 26 possessions with Curry as his primary defender through 3 games, he's scored 0 points on 0-5 shooting, and hasn't drawn a single foul. They had Steph in foul trouble early, and LeBron passed out of that mismatch like 5 consecutive times in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That's inexcusable. He dominated those possessions last year. He just got done absolutely abusing Rozier in the ECF.

It goes without saying that that's not because Steph is a great defender, even though he's holding Cleveland to 36% shooting as the primary defender, after doing roughly the same against Houston (but I know, I know, he gets blown by once or twice per game, so he's a massive liability, actual results and stats be damned). He's just a decent enough, physically limited team defender with elite defensive talent behind him...but obviously should have no chance in hell on James. So that's a pretty big knock on LeBron this series for not forcing the issue. As others have speculated, having Game 1 end like it did seemed to really knock him out of that killer mindset he usually has this time of year.

Edited by aggie08

29 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know that the running narrative is that LeBron is carrying a bunch of scrubs against 4 future Hall of Famers and, 9 times out of 10, that's true, but Game 3 is on him, triple-double be damned. Only two of the 4 Hall of Famers showed up on Wednesday for Golden State (and Draymond only defensively), and the Splash Brothers got vastly out-produced by Rodney Hood and JR Smith. Kevin Love also showed up big at home. And, despite all that, it never really felt like Cleveland was going to win. KD out-dueled the entire Cavs' roster, including Bron, in an absolute must win game for them.

The most damning stat has been how ineffective LeBron has been on Steph all series when he's gotten that matchup. Golden State has been letting him have that switch easily almost every time, and he's done literally nothing with it: in 26 possessions with Curry as his primary defender through 3 games, he's scored 0 points on 0-5 shooting, and hasn't drawn a single foul. They had Steph in foul trouble early, and LeBron passed out of that mismatch like 5 consecutive times in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That's inexcusable. He dominated those possessions last year. He just got done absolutely abusing Rozier in the ECF.

It goes without saying that that's not because Steph is a great defender, even though he's holding Cleveland to 36% shooting as the primary defender, after doing roughly the same against Houston (but I know, I know, he gets blown by once or twice per game, so he's a massive liability, actual results and stats be damned). He's just a decent enough, physically limited team defender with elite defensive talent behind him...but obviously should have no chance in hell on James. So that's a pretty big knock on LeBron this series for not forcing the issue. As others have speculated, having Game 1 end like it did seemed to really knock him out of that killer mindset he usually has this time of year.

I don't know where you got that stat but that is wrong. He def scored on Curry over the last 3 games. The foul thing is weird, but then again the Cavs went the whole first half of last game without shooting a free throw, and Bron was getting all his buckets at the rim. In fact, of his 28 shots all but 5 of them were in the paint. That is on the refs to make a call. There is def contact to do so. You know as well as I do that the W's have protocols for helping Curry on defense. They know who to bring and when to bring them. So it's not that Curry is a good defender, it's that they blitz you when you start making your move. They defend smart.

The real problem with Cleveland is defensively. It took them a long time to realize that GSW was baiting them into hedging the picks so they could slip the pick man out the backside and get easy buckets. I was laughing when the announcers were saying you can't let Durant go against Love, as if they didn't see what was happening when they didn't. Too many times Cleveland was getting out of position with defenders. Allowing them to go away from where their help was. Getting backdoored by a guy standing in the short corner. Those are the plays that lost them the game, not Lebron's 33 points on 46% shooting. You CANNOT allow Green, McGee, Iggy, Bell, and Livingston to go a combined 20 for 29(69%) from the floor. That's why they lost.

On 6/7/2018 at 12:26 PM, Goo Punch said:

Making one Final Four does not put a program on the map. Having a transcendent, global supersatat attend and then endlessly rep your program does. It’s no coincidence that our success rate with HS AA’s skyrocketed after KD was here. 

I still disagree, respectfully of course, on the putting on the map. Before and after Texas made the final four, rick had really created one of the best “basketball programs at a football school” in the country. Between kd and the 03 season, 2 of those seasons Texas went to the sweet 16, once the elite 8, and were 3 and 2 seeds those years iirc. 

Texas was certainly on the map before kd showed up, which is part of the reason he chose us over unc. 

I will say however that kd was far and away the best player in the country on a team that was probably better than the 4 seed they were given and definitely better than their tournament performance that season. 

Going to the elite 8 and having all 5 starters leave by getting drafted or graduating, and then starting 4 freshman and a sophomore like we did in 06 and 07 is supposed to be a rebuilding year. We rebuilt for like a month and a half and then started whoopin ass again in what was a very salty big 12 that year. Adding more to the ridiculousness of @Vic Mackey‘s posts. That guy clearly doesn’t watch basketball all year until the final four and nba conference finals

TJ Ford and that Final 4 run put our foot in the door. KD coming to UT, balling out (even with the early postseason exit), and faithfully repping the Horns with his words and actions swung the door wide open and kept it that way.

Now can we get back to discussing the NBA Finals---ah, who am I kidding, this series is over.

Texas did well after TJ, but we didn’t become a destination school until KD. Ask any basketball player between middle school and the NBA what they know about Texas basketball and the first thing they’ll say is that Kevin Durant went there. A huge portion of them will have no idea who TJ is, and even fewer will be aware of our Sweet 16/Elite 8 prowess from the mid 2000’s. That’s not my defintion of putting a program on the map.

Edited by Goo Punch

21 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I say that TJ Ford, had as much an impact on Kevin Durant choosing UT, as Bamba (post KD) in selecting the Horns, the school has been well known in hoops pre-Final 4...

Edited by kopp0e

45 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

can someone tell me why i shouldn't fund my gambling account to get on warriors -4.5 tonight?  that line feels super low.

LeBron might be the only player on the Cavs team with a strong will to even compete, the rest of the team might just say "chance of victory, 0%" and retreat

A comparison from the Marvel/ FX show Legion, where Durant is Amahl Farouk , and LeBron James plays the role of David Haller...

(At the 13:35 frame of the video clip of Legion, Kerry [as the Cavs team] is trying her damndest to fight off the swath of opposition [GSW offensive roster], & at about the 14:15 mark where the robo-chicks [CLE team] exits)...

Edited by kopp0e

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

does cleveland even want to go back to the bay area just to lose in a gentleman's sweep though?

I would give the Warriors the reverse finger, and throw the game, just as JR did in game 1 by not using his brain...

Warriors want to make history. I think they close out this "rivalry" in style and sweep em. That's the only motivation they are playing for at this point. The title is a foregone conclusion. 
I chuckle at the talking heads who really want this to be a rivalry. It's anything but. They just happen to play in the Finals every year.

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I also think GS may prefer winning on their home floor. They have this in the bag, they should just rest everyone tonight as a fuck you to the Cavs. 

No

2 hours ago, joeycovers said:

Warriors want to make history. 

This.  Why would a group of professionals lose on purpose, in the finals?