Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Good god, what a load of garbage.

In 2011, A&M broke almost a century of Texas football history when the school announced it was joining the SEC. UT’s continued push for greater shares of Big 12 revenue led to the divorce. The creation of the Longhorn Network enraged A&M’s board of regents. UT believed its brand and devoted fans could sustain an independent cable TV network. Like Icarus, the Longhorns wanted to escape their confines. But moderation gave way to greed and the wax holding Texas college football together began to drip, drip, drip.

So, I guess facts don't matter and this guy gets column inches to just make up shit?  When did UT EVER ask for a bigger share of revenue?

And let's also just ignore the fact the we invited aggy to join us before it turned into LHN.

aggy is full of shit and most of their "former students" and the t-shirt fans they claim don't exist believe this inaccurate, media-concocted drivel.

• Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Good god, what a load of garbage.

So, I guess facts don't matter and this guy gets column inches to just make up shit?  When did UT EVER ask for a bigger share of revenue?

And let's also just ignore the fact the we invited aggy to join us before it turned into LHN.

You're focusing on the wrong part.  From 1996 thru 2010, Texas continuously asked for-- and received-- a bigger share of the revenue.  But the point is, that Texas A&M and Nebraska both did, as well.  A disparity in revenues received, or simply for the desire for unequal revenue sharing, is not what drove A&M away.  Because alongside Texas and Nabraska, Texas A&M voted in favor of unequal revenue sharing at every single B12 vote, as well.

The ags and Nebraska also both voted against a conference network, alongside Texas.  And that's when both Texas and Nebraska began pursuing the idea of individual team networks.

So yes, the author gets it dramatically wrong in numerous instances.  But Texas did indeed vote for, and receive, a larger share of revenue, for the first decade and a half of the B12's existence.  So did A&M. So did Nebraska.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

You're focusing on the wrong part.  From 1996 thru 2010, Texas continuously asked for-- and received-- a bigger share of the revenue.  But the point is, that Texas A&M and Nebraska both did, as well.  A disparity in revenues received, or simply for the desire for unequal revenue sharing, is not what drove A&M away.  Because alongside Texas and Nabraska, Texas A&M voted in favor of unequal revenue sharing at every single B12 vote, as well.

The ags and Nebraska also both voted against a conference network, alongside Texas.  And that's when both Texas and Nebraska began pursuing the idea of individual team networks.

So yes, the author gets it dramatically wrong in numerous instances.  But Texas did indeed vote for, and receive, a larger share of revenue, for the first decade and a half of the B12's existence.  So did A&M. So did Nebraska.

Unequal revenue sharing made sense because we basically had no 3rd tier games left after tier 1/2 game selection by our TV partners.

If we had equal revenue sharing without any pooling of 3rd tier rights Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and even aggy would have made less money than Baylor, tech, and Iowa St as they would have sold their crap home games on PPV and would have pocketed that money.

By having unequal revenue it rewarded team that TV audiences wanted to see with more money (which is logical) and was VOTED on by the majority of the conference (including all 6 teams that have left).

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, along with Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas, supported the merit based revenue system.  Note that 6 of those 7 have left.

4 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

When aggy moves, they're doing it "to better their program". When UT does it, we're money-grubbing, self-serving, capitalist pigs. Fuck 'em all

Here's one that spends first part of the article slamming Texas, then the next half spouting off about how Colorado should jet to the Big 10...

https://www-denverpost-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.denverpost.com/2021/07/31/texas-oklahoma-cu-buffs-college-football/amp/?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASCAAgM%3D#amp_tf=From %1%24s&aoh=16277827554913&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.denverpost.com%2F2021%2F07%2F31%2Ftexas-oklahoma-cu-buffs-college-football%2F

Edited by Gaffords
Opps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, bullet said:

And that system was far more egalitarian than the Pac 12 or Big East at the time.  The range would be like $7 to $11 million.  In the Pac 12 USC made triple what Washington St. did.  Big East with Miami was even worse.

Sure but the narrative was typically always coming from the eyes of the B10, who always had equal revenue sharing across the board.  For a long time, they even pooled and shared some portion of stadium revenues.  Talk about Robin Hood.  I don't know if they still do that or not, but the point is, that's where the opposing viewpoint was coming from.  And the B12 was certainly not egalitarian compared to the B10.

But all of that is beside the point, because even within the NON-egalitarian system the B12 had, the ags were voting right alongside Texas to keep it that way.  And beyond that, when Colorado and Nebraska bolted, the B12 offered extra shares of exit penalty money to Texas, OU, and A&M, to keep them happy.  Two of those three declined, but the ags gleefully accepted, even as they were already planning their exit to the SEC.  

The author's statement "UT’s continued push for greater shares of Big 12 revenue led to the divorce" is factually incorrect, and reeks of lazy, stupid writing.  A&M left for many reasons, but this was not one of them.  Not even the ags claimed this at the time, because they knew exactly how they had voted in each and every B12 meeting on the subject.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

“(Texas and Oklahoma have) just sort of taken me out of the nostalgia and concern for what it used to be. It’s just gotten so radically different.”

Forget loyalty. Forget alliances. Forget geography. Forget common sense. It’s all one giant, soulless, gutless cash grab. Global pandemic? Sorry, kids. We got contracts.

So, where was Colorado's (or Nebraska's) loyalty?  Or nostalgia?  Or Alliances (Big 8 and Big 12 member)?, Or Geography?  Or common sense?  And, of course, CA$H had NOTHING to do with Colorado's move to the PAC 10/12.

Cry me a f*@king river.

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Written by a bent piggy-seminary-Misery now-SFA "history prof" who looks too young (despite the male pattern baldness) to teach history. It's merely hurling pebbles from the peanut gallery.

Fuck Texas Monthly! It's not even worth being used as a fishwrap.

Well, a June TM article suggests that the Lone Ranger was black, so you might consider which way that cuts when formulating your fishwrap opinion. Just sayin' . . .

9 hours ago, BachelorTrek said:

Written by a bent piggy-seminary-Misery now-SFA "history prof" who looks too young (despite the male pattern baldness) to teach history. It's merely hurling pebbles from the peanut gallery.

Fuck Texas Monthly! It's not even worth being used as a fishwrap.

So Texas was awesome at football long ago so we should be better at football than an entire conference in 2021? I don't get his point. 

And what is Missouri's issue with Texas? They were begging the Big Ten to take them well before the formation of the Big 12. Texas beats down a couple good Mizzou teams, and now all of a sudden they have a problem with us? They're like mini-Nebraksa/Tom Osbourne. 

The picture speaks for itself on Hunter Hampton. 

21d255_0c040a028f2248509fa287009d0d2175~mv2.webp

Sure but the narrative was typically always coming from the eyes of the B10, who always had equal revenue sharing across the board.  For a long time, they even pooled and shared some portion of stadium revenues.  Talk about Robin Hood.  I don't know if they still do that or not, but the point is, that's where the opposing viewpoint was coming from.  And the B12 was certainly not egalitarian compared to the B10.
But all of that is beside the point, because even within the NON-egalitarian system the B12 had, the ags were voting right alongside Texas to keep it that way.  And beyond that, when Colorado and Nebraska bolted, the B12 offered extra shares of exit penalty money to Texas, OU, and A&M, to keep them happy.  Two of those three declined, but the ags gleefully accepted, even as they were already planning their exit to the SEC.  
The author's statement "UT’s continued push for greater shares of Big 12 revenue led to the divorce" is factually incorrect, and reeks of lazy, stupid writing.  A&M left for many reasons, but this was not one of them.  Not even the ags claimed this at the time, because they knew exactly how they had voted in each and every B12 meeting on the subject.

Are there any articles / links on this? I recall all this in the real time old days, but these days I’m surrounded by aggy and sand aggy revisionist historians and want to share something published.

16 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Tcu is trying to convince itself that having Texas and aggy doesn’t carry the state for the sec, and a tiny school with a tiny following will make all the difference. 

They think that because they are in DFW they have some sort of pull. Tech is the only realistic option for a P4 school in TX. Hell, they may have more alums in DFW than TCU.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

TCU joining the Big 12 is such a f***ing crazy story. CDC drinks DeLoss under the table, and it's announced within a few days. TCU should build a statue of CDC's liver 

My guess is CDC ("Del" to Dodds) drank club sodas while DeLoss got sloshed. He probably doesn't even remember blessing TCU at closing time. "WTF did I do this time?"

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

You forgot ou.

On 8/18/2021 at 12:50 PM, closetohumping said:

I'd like to respond to you know who but I can't stomach quoting him.  Or addressing him.  Yes, we will miss the academic clout that comes with being in the Big 12.  

Hahah. I assume this is sarcasm. The SEC right now is a much better academic conference than the Big 12. UGA, UF, Vandy and Tennessee are better than any school in the Big 12 academically other than UT. Because UT has gotten so hard to get in, lots of Texas kids are going to schools like Bama, UGA and Ole Miss improving the academics of those schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm assuming that my negs for this post are coming from anti-vaxxer halfwits.  I'll wear that as a badge of honor.

No, you were probably negged because for some reason people that dont think like you are half-wits.  I didnt neg you and I have not taken the shot.  There is zero evidence it is effective.  Vaccines (pills, whatever) generally take years to develop (smallpox,polio, AIDS).  118 years after the Flu epidemic that killed millions and millions worldwide, the vaccine is at best 40-60% effective.  The covid vaccine does not keep you from getting it or spreading it.  And with 95% of the people either asymptomatic or only having mild symptoms, there is no way to know if the shot made the symptoms milder or not.  I'm almost 70.  I've had covid twice. (had to get tested cause it was required)  I didnt know I had it till I tested positive.  I've had sore throats that made me feel worse.  I certainly dont take this lightly and you are entitled to do whatever you think is best for YOU.  However I have been part of government (military)forced experiments before.  If its all the same to you I'll pass till there is more evidence. 

The best to you and yours.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 35

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Hahah. I assume this is sarcasm. The SEC right now is a much better academic conference than the Big 12. UGA, UF, Vandy and Tennessee are better than any school in the Big 12 academically other than UT. Because UT has gotten so hard to get in, lots of Texas kids are going to schools like Bama, UGA and Ole Miss improving the academics of those schools. 

UGA doesn't belong in a group with Ole Miss and Bama. They're respected academically and competitive with schools like UT .

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

TCU joining the Big 12 is such a f***ing crazy story. CDC drinks DeLoss under the table, and it's announced within a few days. TCU should build a statue of CDC's liver 

It’s what Draper pulled to get a job with Roger.

51 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

No, you were probably negged because for some reason people that dont think like you are half-wits.  I didnt neg you and I have not taken the shot.  There is zero evidence it is effective.  Vaccines (pills, whatever) generally take years to develop (smallpox,polio, AIDS).  118 years after the Flu epidemic that killed millions and millions worldwide, the vaccine is at best 40-60% effective.  The covid vaccine does not keep you from getting it or spreading it.  And with 95% of the people either asymptomatic or only having mild symptoms, there is no way to know if the shot made the symptoms milder or not.  I'm almost 70.  I've had covid twice. (had to get tested cause it was required)  I didnt know I had it till I tested positive.  I've had sore throats that made me feel worse.  I certainly dont take this lightly and you are entitled to do whatever you think is best for YOU.  However I have been part of government (military)forced experiments before.  If its all the same to you I'll pass till there is more evidence. 

dazed-and-confused-rory-cochrane.gif

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Vertigo said:

They think that because they are in DFW they have some sort of pull. Tech is the only realistic option for a P4 school in TX. Hell, they may have more alums in DFW than TCU.

ESPN_SRC pretty much locked up Texas with the three teams they now have in the stable.   The rest are only a blip in viewers if they are having an exceptional year, or playing a blue blood who is solidly in the hunt (as long as they have a legitimate sjot at playing spoiler).

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Because UT has gotten so hard to get in, lots of Texas kids are going to schools like Bama, UGA and Ole Miss improving the academics of those schools. .

You had me up until this. LOL at the hubris of saying that Texas kids improved those schools’ academics. 

59 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

UGA belong in a group with Ole Miss and Bama. They're respected academically and competitive with schools like UT .

I’d put UF academically above those three schools but otherwise generally agree with this. (Granted I’m biased). 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tonedeaf said:

Appropriate username and whatnot.  Did those forced experiments you were part of involve removing parts of your brain?

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

70 years old? You aren't, by any chance, from a small town in Alabama are you?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Wow. First "everyone's a trade school" and now "no proof the vaccine is effective." My goodness, the stupid hurts.

Back to realignment.

Two ways to interpret this, one good, one bad. Good would be that they are meeting to carve up the Big 12 leftovers. The term "alignment" appears, so I really hope that's the case. Bad would be that they are going to just work together to improve TV contracts and agree not to raid the leftovers. That would be horrible. I'd almost rather join the Big East at that point to at least stay relevant in basketball.

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic. It's not yet clear how specific the announcement will be because there are so many details to iron out, although administrators in all three leagues have stressed in recent conversations that issues of governance can and should be front and center.

Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports.

(Photo: Sean Gardner / Getty Images)
Why these three conferences?
Nicole Auerbach, college football senior writer: As much fun as it is to theorize about future nonconference games between Clemson, Ohio State and Oregon, that isn't necessarily all a potential Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC alliance is about.

The Alliance — which really needs to be the official name of this, with capitalization, please — goes far beyond the concepts of scheduling and television inventory.

There are many administrators in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC who believe in the collegiate model and want it to continue; even those who have enthusiastically embraced name, image and likeness reform don't want to see college football become an actual minor league system for the NFL with a draft, player salaries and the like. They worry that the SEC's aggression could lead to something like that.

So, where does that leave the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC and their schools? That's the (multi-)million-dollar question.
How does this factor into the expanded CFP?
Auerbach: There is hope within all three leagues that their commissioners will align to delay the implementation of an expanded College Football Playoff. Athletic directors in all three leagues have expressed concerns over the composition of the four-member working group that proposed the 12-team format and treated it as an inevitability without hearing from any representatives of the three leagues.

All three leagues have relatively new commissioners, which helps explain why the three have been in regular communication since news of Oklahoma and Texas' departure from the Big 12 broke. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have historically been aligned on key issues (and share contractual relationships with the Rose Bowl), and they moved together in their pandemic policy-making last summer. Those leagues also have financial relationships with Fox, whom they would like to get involved in the bidding process for an expanded Playoff. The ACC is more of a wild card, but new commissioner Jim Phillips worked in the Big Ten for more than a decade and has long defended the core principles of the collegiate model.

This is an uncertain time in college sports, and no one has a crystal ball to predict how this will all turn out. But just as the SEC bolstered its standing with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas, everyone realizes there can be strength in numbers — at least, with the right bedfellows.
How does the NCAA factor in?
Auerbach: College sports is in the midst of a transformative time, one that has seen the NCAA more weakened and fragmented than ever before, challenged by the courts and its membership alike. It faces questions regarding gender equity at its marquee championships and its fundamental commitment to penalizing those looking the other way when issues of sexual violence occur.

It is not nimble, and its lack of leadership was exposed repeatedly in the last 12 months, from NIL to pandemic health and safety protocols. The NCAA has planned a "constitutional convention" for November in an attempt to overhaul and modernize its entire governance model.

But the thrust of the Power 5's problem with the NCAA as it is currently constructed is that there is too much representation for lower levels of Division I in addition to Divisions II and III. The makeup of the constitutional convention reflects as much. Those groups don't face the same pressing issues as, say, Alabama and Ohio State. But they remain under the same slow-moving national governing body, at least for the time being.

This is partially why the SEC made the move it did to add Oklahoma and Texas. "We're certainly a part of the NCAA structure — and that's important — but our identity stands alone," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told The Athletic this week. "We're going to be good participants. We also expect significant updating of the NCAA's role and model, and I think there are some hard conversations ahead."

Translation: The SEC can chart its own course moving forward.

"It is a little bit of a challenge to follow the bouncing ball of what is anticipated to happen with the NCAA's constitutional convention," Sankey said. "That brings me back to a focus on the enhancement, the strengthening, the effectiveness of the Southeastern Conference as an organization."

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Gaffords said:

ESPN_SRC pretty much locked up Texas with the three teams they now have in the stable.   The rest are only a blip in viewers if they are having an exceptional year, or playing a blue blood who is solidly in the hunt (as long as they have a legitimate sjot at playing spoiler).

It’s like having to add piggly wiggly to own the grocery store market in the south.  Already got Publix, heb, Safeway, Whole Foods and Kroger’s.  We good without the piggly wiggly

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Wow. First "everyone's a trade school" and now "no proof the vaccine is effective." My goodness, the stupid hurts.

Back to realignment.

Two ways to interpret this, one good, one bad. Good would be that they are meeting to carve up the Big 12 leftovers. The term "alignment" appears, so I really hope that's the case. Bad would be that they are going to just work together to improve TV contracts and agree not to raid the leftovers. That would be horrible. I'd almost rather join the Big East at that point to at least stay relevant in basketball.

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic. It's not yet clear how specific the announcement will be because there are so many details to iron out, although administrators in all three leagues have stressed in recent conversations that issues of governance can and should be front and center.

Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports.

Nicole Auerbach, college football senior writer: As much fun as it is to theorize about future nonconference games between Clemson, Ohio State and Oregon, that isn't necessarily all a potential Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC alliance is about.

The Alliance — which really needs to be the official name of this, with capitalization, please — goes far beyond the concepts of scheduling and television inventory.

There are many administrators in the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC who believe in the collegiate model and want it to continue; even those who have enthusiastically embraced name, image and likeness reform don't want to see college football become an actual minor league system for the NFL with a draft, player salaries and the like. They worry that the SEC's aggression could lead to something like that.

So, where does that leave the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC and their schools? That's the (multi-)million-dollar question.
Auerbach: There is hope within all three leagues that their commissioners will align to delay the implementation of an expanded College Football Playoff. Athletic directors in all three leagues have expressed concerns over the composition of the four-member working group that proposed the 12-team format and treated it as an inevitability without hearing from any representatives of the three leagues.

All three leagues have relatively new commissioners, which helps explain why the three have been in regular communication since news of Oklahoma and Texas' departure from the Big 12 broke. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have historically been aligned on key issues (and share contractual relationships with the Rose Bowl), and they moved together in their pandemic policy-making last summer. Those leagues also have financial relationships with Fox, whom they would like to get involved in the bidding process for an expanded Playoff. The ACC is more of a wild card, but new commissioner Jim Phillips worked in the Big Ten for more than a decade and has long defended the core principles of the collegiate model.

This is an uncertain time in college sports, and no one has a crystal ball to predict how this will all turn out. But just as the SEC bolstered its standing with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas, everyone realizes there can be strength in numbers — at least, with the right bedfellows.
Auerbach: College sports is in the midst of a transformative time, one that has seen the NCAA more weakened and fragmented than ever before, challenged by the courts and its membership alike. It faces questions regarding gender equity at its marquee championships and its fundamental commitment to penalizing those looking the other way when issues of sexual violence occur.

It is not nimble, and its lack of leadership was exposed repeatedly in the last 12 months, from NIL to pandemic health and safety protocols. The NCAA has planned a "constitutional convention" for November in an attempt to overhaul and modernize its entire governance model.

But the thrust of the Power 5's problem with the NCAA as it is currently constructed is that there is too much representation for lower levels of Division I in addition to Divisions II and III. The makeup of the constitutional convention reflects as much. Those groups don't face the same pressing issues as, say, Alabama and Ohio State. But they remain under the same slow-moving national governing body, at least for the time being.

This is partially why the SEC made the move it did to add Oklahoma and Texas. "We're certainly a part of the NCAA structure — and that's important — but our identity stands alone," SEC commissioner Greg Sankey told The Athletic this week. "We're going to be good participants. We also expect significant updating of the NCAA's role and model, and I think there are some hard conversations ahead."

"It is a little bit of a challenge to follow the bouncing ball of what is anticipated to happen with the NCAA's constitutional convention," Sankey said. "That brings me back to a focus on the enhancement, the strengthening, the effectiveness of the Southeastern Conference as an organization."

My random ass guess is that the Pac adds oSu and Tech giving all 3 Alliance conferences 14 teams.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

You had me up until this. LOL at the hubris of saying that Texas kids improved those schools’ academics. 

I’d put UF academically above those three schools but otherwise generally agree with this. (Granted I’m biased). 

Sorry I had a typo. I meant that UGA DOESN'T belong on that list with Ole Miss and Bama. UF is also a really good school.

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Back to realignment.

Smells like collusion. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My random ass guess is that the Pac adds oSu and Tech giving all 3 Alliance conferences 14 teams.

I'd like to see this. My dad was a Tech alum (I still put his Tech cap next to the tube for luck during Texas games; we gave it to him as a father's day present one year, and I probably took him to DKR 20 times with him proudly wearing it). So I have a soft spot for Tech.

And if you don't like Okie State, you don't like college athletics.

The only othe Big 12 school I care about is ISU, but I just honestly don't see how they come out of this as anything but screwed.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Unequal revenue sharing made sense because we basically had no 3rd tier games left after tier 1/2 game selection by our TV partners.

If we had equal revenue sharing without any pooling of 3rd tier rights Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and even aggy would have made less money than Baylor, tech, and Iowa St as they would have sold their crap home games on PPV and would have pocketed that money.

By having unequal revenue it rewarded team that TV audiences wanted to see with more money (which is logical) and was VOTED on by the majority of the conference (including all 6 teams that have left).

Well, at the time it was MUCH different.   Everyone maybe had like 3-4 games a year on TV.   Now everyone is on TV.   But when the big brands were the only ones on ABC generating the bulk of the cash, it made a bit more sense.   Ironically it was a response to falling behind owning a conference network, but still made sense for that situation.

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

UGA doesn't belong in a group with Ole Miss and Bama. They're respected academically and competitive with schools like UT .

Bullshit. I have an accounting degree from Bama (and an MBA) The Journal of Accountancy consistently ranks (or did..haven't checked in awhile)
 our program in the top ten. A guy I shared classes went on to be the top man at Price Waterhouse. Several friends went to Harvard and Yale from Bama for law or graduate business. Bama also heavily recruited Jews from the Northeast back when the Ivy League schools discriminated against them. Tons of them came to school there.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

Bullshit. I have an accounting degree from Bama (and an MBA) The Journal of Accountancy consistently ranks (or did..haven't checked in awhile)
 our program in the top ten. A guy I shared classes went on to be the top man at Price Waterhouse. Several friends went to Harvard and Yale from Bama for law or graduate business. Bama also heavily recruited Jews from the Northeast back when the Ivy League schools discriminated against them. Tons of them came to school there.

Sorry bro, your degrees are just paper from a "redneck trade school." The idiot upthread shoulda told you.

Edited by 'stache

16 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

Bama accepted me, they can't be that great.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Capt. Squints said:

Lots of universities have individual programs that are highly-rated.  When people here are talking about academic reputation, they generally are referring to the university as a whole.  And, as a whole, University of Alabama is a second-tier school.  As a (single) reference point, USN&WR has 'Bama at #143 among national universities, compared to #160 for Ole Miss, #47 for Georgia and #30 for Florida.

Btw, Harvard is #2 and Yale is #4.

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

It not hubris.  Texas has a huge population and not enough quality higher education options for our in state students.  There is also the football factor, many want to go to a school that has both quality football and quality academics and most can’t get into The University of Texas, it’s limited to the top 6% of students statewide which is the only real option.  There is a pretty large delta between UT and the other in state schools and we don’t have a great system of private schools only a few standout in national rankings like Rice, SMU, and Trinity so if you’re a top 10% student and you have the choice between going to aggy or going to Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas or Ole Miss many quality students choose to leave the state.  10% of the students in Ole Miss are from Texas which is the most from any other state outside of Mississippi.  The increase in Texas students has absolutely increased the academic profile of schools like Ole Miss over that last few decades.

• Hook 'Em 2

No school has benefited more from UT’s admissions standards than Arkansas. I graduated HS in Austin in 2017, and I have more friends at Ark than any other big 12 school. Ark gives in state tuition to Texas kids with qualifying SAT/ACT scores. I know people at Ark who pay only 8k in tuition for a whole academic year. 

for kids that don’t make the cut at UT and A&M (and some prefer ark over A&M), ark is a much better option and TTu or Texas state. The growing number of Texas kids at Ark should make for a great rivalry once we switch over (and a crazy atmosphere on September 11)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

No school has benefited more from UT’s admissions standards than Arkansas. I graduated HS in Austin in 2017, and I have more friends at Ark than any other big 12 school. Ark gives in state tuition to Texas kids with qualifying SAT/ACT scores. I know people at Ark who pay only 8k in tuition for a whole academic year. 

for kids that don’t make the cut at UT and A&M (and some prefer ark over A&M), ark is a much better option and TTu or Texas state. The growing number of Texas kids at Ark should make for a great rivalry once we switch over (and a crazy atmosphere on September 11)

They've been going in droves from Katy to Arkansas, especially Katy Taylor. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

15 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Lots of universities have individual programs that are highly-rated.  When people here are talking about academic reputation, they generally are referring to the university as a whole.  And, as a whole, University of Alabama is a second-tier school.  As a (single) reference point, USN&WR has 'Bama at #143 among national universities, compared to #160 for Ole Miss, #47 for Georgia and #30 for Florida.

Btw, Harvard is #2 and Yale is #4.

I'm aware of that and why I made no mention of our pathetic College of Education or so-so engineering school. But a professional business degree from Bama will get you job offers from anywhere in the country. My dumbass stepson is proof of that. He's worked in Chicago, Denver, and now Dallas. It also helps to have a massive endowment like UT has.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

OU gave full rides if you got a decent PSAT score when I was in high school.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1