Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Agree, but I don't really care about the SEC that much either.  Alabama and LSU and I guess Georgia will be cool.

But I'm not at all excited about Vanderbilt, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Auburn.  Really the best thing about going to the SEC will be getting A&M and Arkansas back on the schedule, and keeping OU on the schedule.  The SEC is the only place where that could ever happen.  And it makes the most sense, geographically.

The baseball will be a lot of fun, though.

This.  Baseball, weather, and geography are the only clear advantages the SEC has - from a fan perspective.

Edited by JBJ

3 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This.  Baseball, weather, and geography are the only clear advantages the SEC has - from a fan perspective.

The SEC has just a small handful of teams that will suck to play.  Vandy, South Carolina and Kentucky in football.

The Big 10 has too many spares.  Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota.  Way too much bread.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

The SEC has just a small handful of teams that will suck to play.  Vandy, South Carolina and Kentucky in football.

The Big 10 has too many spares.  Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota.  Way too much bread.

Meh, I don't give a rat's ass about Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, or really Tennessee, either.  Tons of bread there.

Bottom line there was no great option.  Texas just did the one that made the most sense.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

If they wanted other schools from the Pac, what would have stopped them from adding them today, like USC and UCLA?

I could see a scenario where the B1G secured the lynchpins of the move in USC/UCLA first before the other conference mates could scuttle it, similar to TX/OU. Now that the move has happened the B1G has all the leverage and starts inviting schools over and they really have no choice but to say yes. 

10 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Definitely a "defensive" move by the Fox kereitsu led by the Big 10 to ensure that USC/UCLA's wandering eyes stayed in Fox controlled television and not be enticed by the SEC and the Mouse. Fox took a hit losing its share of TX and OU television ratings and didn't want that to happen again as USC and UCLA still garner good ratings when they are good.

Yep...begun the content streaming wars have...

23 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Anticipated? No. Not a chance. Taken their time and laid out some plans for a few scenarios? Maybe do some background digging around and see what the landscape is shaping up like? I mean they had years before OU/UT were bolting (atleast on paper). If they'd just made the prudent decision to wait one year before expanding, which doesn't seem that unreasonable to me, this would have all just fallen into their lap.

This is 100% hindsight.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

So SEC in 2023?

I didn't really care much if we went SEC but it was the right decision given geography.  PAC12 would have sucked for TV most of the time.

The PAC  thing died once they added CU and Utah. We weren't going there without a ton of regional partners just because of the TV thing.

I know we considered it again in 2011 with just three regional partners but I think we realized it was a bad idea.

Edited by Valmy77

B10 played Survivor very well. Form a bullshit alliance to placate the keepers of your initial poaching targets. Also keep other potential poachers that while maybe not going directly after your prey could spook them or the other animals by bumbling about (looking at you Big 12) at bay thinking you’re at peace.

Kids let this be a lesson to you. Anyone offers you a handshake agreement over anything of significance you tell them that you are calling your lawyers and you suggest they either do the same or go fuck themselves.

Edited by Surly Bevo

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Culturally we (UT) are probably a better fit in the B1G, but all things considered I think the SEC is still the best place for UT/OU. Our affiliation with ESPN, the geography, all of our historical rivals are in the SEC now, and I think the fans want to be in the SEC. 

We will fit right in with the SEC.

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I think they'll attack the B12

And exactly how are they going to maintain their athletic department with that strategy?  Most projections I saw on Big12 TV numbers without UT/OU were well south of $20M per school.

They're going to willingly go that path instead of calling the B1G?  I don't think there's much value left in the P12 outside of Oregon/Washington.

Just now, hawkfan said:

And exactly how are they going to maintain their athletic department with that strategy?  Most projections I saw on Big12 TV numbers without UT/OU were well south of $20M per school.

They're going to willingly go that path instead of calling the B1G?  I don't think there's much value left in the P12 outside of Oregon/Washington.

Their athletic department?

I'm talking about killing the B12 by adding 6 teams

3 minutes ago, hawkfan said:

Most projections I saw on Big12 TV numbers without UT/OU were well south of $20M per school.

So roughly the same as the PAC is going to be without UCLA and USC.

Neither conference really has the strength to raid the other, nor a value proposition worth leaving for.

Edited by utee94

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Neither conference really has the strength to raid the other, nor a value proposition worth leaving for.

While this is directionally correct, the value of one killing the other ( I think the PAC will kill the B12) is it's less mouths to feed for ESPN/FOX

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

The only thing left that makes sense for either of them is a merger of the top 6 or 7 from each.  They could hold on to a Power 4 Conference label in the same way that the ACC is.  For now.  

But if the Big 10 takes Oregon, too, it's probably all over.  I think that just about forces the SEC to take Clemson, Florida St, Miami, and UNC, before the Big 10 starts reaching out to any of them. 

Let's just go ahead and go to two superconferences of 20 to 24.  That's where this road was always leading.  Just do it already.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Are we perhaps looking at two super conferences in the top level college football with schools that don't make the cut falling to a lower division?

I don't think you will see an official second division, but for anyone paying attention I think the hierarchy is pretty clear. 

I said this when the news first broke, UW and UO hold the cards. It's the same situation that UT/OU had.  They can piecemeal a conference together or bail.  Or do one while they plan the other.

Edited by JBJ

23 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Meh, I don't give a rat's ass about Vandy, South Carolina, Kentucky, Auburn, Ole Miss, MSU, or really Tennessee, either.  Tons of bread there.

Bottom line there was no great option.  Texas just did the one that made the most sense.  

I'd love to finally make it to a Texas-Ole Miss game at The Grove. I hear Auburn is quite fun too. Texas playing a game at Neyland? Yes, please. Vandy is in Nashville. Kentucky is in bourbon country. Those all sound quite enjoyable to me.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

My total speculation is that they took USC and UCLA to destabilize the PAC so they could then entice Stanford which they could use to then entice ND. That would be a hell of a coup.

Add in Washington to this and I think you are 100% right. Getting checkmate on Notre Dame after 40 years of pursuit has to feel pretty damn good to the B1G. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

I'd love to finally make it to a Texas-Ole Miss game at The Grove. I hear Auburn is quite fun too. Texas playing a game at Neyland? Yes, please. Vandy is in Nashville. Kentucky is in bourbon country. Those all sound quite enjoyable to me.

Auburn coeds are fucking smoke.  They dress slutty too.  

• Hook 'Em 2