Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

5 minutes ago, maninblack said:

The 6 schools I listed going to the P12 makes more money than adding a few schools from the P12 to the bastardized B12.

If I'm a bigger name brand in the B12 I'd much rather be associated with the schools in the west than who the B12 added.

It depends on how value is judged. If it's TV markets and future contracts, adding Pac 12 teams to the Big 12 market is the better move. The reverse isn't the case for Big 12 schools going to the Pac 12. Adding the SF/San Jose, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Denver markets. They aren't bringing in better markets unless you want to claim TCU brings in the DFW market (it doesn't). 

A merger makes sense for both if Washington and Oregon leave for the Big 10, which I bet happens. Phil Knight is not going to want to stay in a Pac 12 without Los Angeles. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

It depends on how value is judged. If it's TV markets and future contracts, adding Pac 12 teams to the Big 12 market is the better move. The reverse isn't the case for Big 12 schools going to the Pac 12. They aren't bringing in better markets unless you want to claim TCU brings in the DFW market (it doesn't). 

A merger makes sense for both if Washington and Oregon leave for the Big 10, which I bet happens. Phil Knight is not going to want to stay in a Pac 12 without Los Angeles. 

All this value argument now needs to also include what this does to the expanded CFP and the revenue it generates...

If there is one less mouth to feed, every conference payout goes up. If there is one less Power conference with would imply some teams getting relegated to G5 status, that piece of the pie gets that much bigger.

Does anyone think that the value of the Pac12 branding will just be left on the wayside for the value of the B12 brand?

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

All this value argument now needs to also include what this does to the expanded CFP and the revenue it generates...

If there is one less mouth to feed, every conference payout goes up. If there is one less Power conference with would imply some teams getting relegated to G5 status, that piece of the pie gets that much bigger.

Does anyone think that the value of the Pac12 branding will just be left on the wayside for the value of the B12 brand?

It's interesting because if you value the Pac 12 brand based on the CFP, Oregon is the clear #1. But they're not. It's USC. That's why I think Oregon goes next. There's too much value for them to be left in a dying conference. They have the recruiting acumen and NIL backing to be a force going forward. 

Shit, let's bring on CFB relegation. Big 10, SEC as the big league. The rest as lower division. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It depends on how value is judged. If it's TV markets and future contracts, adding Pac 12 teams to the Big 12 market is the better move. The reverse isn't the case for Big 12 schools going to the Pac 12. Adding the SF/San Jose, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Denver markets. They aren't bringing in better markets unless you want to claim TCU brings in the DFW market (it doesn't). 

I disagree. The B10 would be at 16 after this and don't seem them going to 18. 

I didn't list TCU and I don't see the remaining P12 schools really looking at a merger with WVU, Houston, Cincy and UCF. The logical move would be to invite the schools I listed. Those schools would be much more apt to leave the bastardized B12 than the P12 looking to join the poors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

How does this help UCLA and USC with their non football sports?    A baseball recruit is going to thrilled to death about leaving Southern California in April when it can still be snowing in Ann Arbor for a three game series....  

It doesn't, but they also don't care.

3 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

How does this help UCLA and USC with their non football sports?    A baseball recruit is going to thrilled to death about leaving Southern California in April when it can still be snowing in Ann Arbor for a three game series....  

Football is king. The rest all survive off the scraps. 

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

three game road trip is a lot different than living somewhere cold.  Non factor

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Those schools have been begging to get into a P5 (or the equivalent) conference for decades.  They, and any other G5 conference school, would have jumped at it as soon as it was offered.  Acting like these schools are smart to have joined the Big 12 is hilarious.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Riley will never admit it but his pussy is weeping.  Lol.  Enjoy douchebag.  That travel schedule is gonna be greattttt.  

I bet he knew about it when he took the job or was involved in it after being hired.

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

Is there a scenario where Big 12 losing/gaining teams in some kind of Big 12-Pac merger reduces our buyout or speeds up the SEC timeline? 

Yeah kill the B12 so that there isn't enough voting members and dissolve the B12 before the  AAC adds are actual members.. 

Not sure how that would work B12 bylaws-wise, but if the conference is dissolved we can go when we want.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Is there a scenario where Big 12 losing/gaining teams in some kind of Big 12-Pac merger reduces our buyout or speeds up the SEC timeline? 

Probably still very far fetched but this probably puts the zero exit fee dream back on the table as a possible outcome.  If the big 12 needed to dissolve in order to make the merger happen, TX and OU votes would certainly be needed 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Enough PAC and XII programs agree to merge they can vote to dissolve both conferences and form a new one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Big 12, Pac 12 leftovers, and ACC need to sit down and align into 2 leagues. WVU, ND, Cincy, UCF join the ACC. Rest of Big 12 and Pac 12 merge into Big West or something like that.

4 super conferences. Keep 4 team playoff

This is college conference realignment. Don't propose common sense. It'll never happen. More piecemeal shit is on the horizon.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Clemson is an SEC school living in ACC country. Them and Florida State make a whole lot of sense. Texas to the SEC broke the idea that the SEC wouldn't take an in-state rival. 

Clemson is literally inside SEC country. 

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Riley will never admit it but his pussy is weeping.  Lol.  Enjoy douchebag.  That travel schedule is gonna be greattttt.  

Norman to LA. Yeah, it was about competition, lol. You should call into the Sports Animal, every minute of every day some hick is crying about Reilly. He lives rent free in your heads. Get the fuck over it already.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Probably still very far fetched but this probably puts the zero exit fee dream back on the table as a possible outcome.  If the big 12 needed to dissolve in order to make the merger happen, TX and OU votes would certainly be needed 

How sweet would it be if ou and Texas said no we want to wait till 2025 to screw over the big 12

• Haha 4

Washington is legislatively tethered to Washington State.  This will create the impetus to free the Huskies.  As soon as that's done, I'd bet UW and Oregon are in the Big Ten.  Colorado and Kansas are the most likely to round out to 20.  

The Big 12 minus Kansas is much stronger than the PAC at that point and they raid Arizona, ASU, Utah, maybe others.  Stanford and Cal go to the Ivy model. 

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Big 12, Pac 12 leftovers, and ACC need to sit down and align into 2 leagues. WVU, ND, Cincy, UCF join the ACC. Rest of Big 12 and Pac 12 merge into Big West or something like that.

4 super conferences. Keep 4 team playoff

LOL, that might work in a world where the 4 supers are close to equal but they aren't close in that scenario.  B1G and SEC are head and shoulders above the other two.  I'll take that deal if SEC and B1G get two AQs each.  Otherwise, the arguments for expanded playoff of 12 are still valid.

1 minute ago, Hornstrader said:

We have heard no rumblings about this until today so it was obviously kept very quiet.

Who could/would have played the aggie role and made it public early in a desperate attempt to prevent it? 

There have been rumors of USC to Big 10 for years.  Just like rumors TX and OU would eventually move, USC was the same.  It was just a matter of finding a partner or partners.  Still surprised UCLA was able to pull this off politically.   And it was certainly someone pissed about UCLA playing the Aggy role.

Edited by Skipper

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

So if both conferences are at 16 now and eventually go to 20, Big Ten could add Washington, Oregon, UVA, Notre Dame and the SEC could add FSU, Clemson, UNC, Duke...

Yeah we'll get to a point where it will be the 24 team Big 10 that's basically the best of the Pac 12 and the existing Big 10 and the SEC at 24 with the best of the ACC. 

Edited by mdmost