Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

On 6/22/2022 at 4:17 PM, LTbear said:

Business is business. ESPN will bid on Big XII rights if they think they can make it profitable, and won't if they can't. 

But they don't have to say they will... And if I'm ESPN I'm all for Fox focusing on Big12.

Edited by Slacks

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Ideally, we'd play 0u, Arky and aggy every year. But, it's okay if we don't. SEC may throw Mizzou a bone.

If the SEC adopted an identical system we sure as fuck better have Arky, OU, and A&M as our permanent rivals. Mizzou? Oh hell no.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

If the SEC adopted an identical system we sure as fuck better have Arky, OU, and A&M as our permanent rivals. Mizzou? Oh hell no.

Agreed, but I've read aggy is lobbying to not play UT annually. It makes zero sense financially and otherwise, though. But, aggy

8 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Agreed, but I've read aggy is lobbying to not play UT annually. It makes zero sense financially and otherwise, though. But, aggy

I don't think A&M's the problem. It's the league's bottom-dwellers, especially ones that have in-state out-of-conference rivals, such as Kentucky, South Carolina, and a passel of other pussies.

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're right but Missouri fans consider us rivals. I wish I was joking. 

But why though? We haven't had so much as a close memorable game in any sport that I can think of. And they are Missouri, that's not close to Texas. I cannot even recall knowing a Missouri fan.

That's like Iowa State saying they are our rivals and we have a much longer and memorable history playing Iowa State than we do Missouri. Or Kansas State...or really any current Big 12 school...well except West Virginia they are so distant that we don't have much of a relationship. They are as much of our rival as West Virginia is I guess.

Edited by Valmy77

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

But why though? We haven't had so much as a close memorable game in any sport that I can think of. And they are Missouri, that's not close to Texas. I cannot even recall knowing a Missouri fan.

That's like Iowa State saying they are our rivals and we have a much longer and memorable history playing Iowa State than we do Missouri.

I know a couple Missouri fans and they hate Texas. They're as bad as Nebraska fans when it comes to blaming Texas for the reason they left the Big 12. 

There was an academic study done a few years ago that determined Texas had 11 different schools that identified Texas as a rival. I believe Missouri was one. I need to go find the study. 

11 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I know a couple Missouri fans and they hate Texas. They're as bad as Nebraska fans when it comes to blaming Texas for the reason they left the Big 12. 

There was an academic study done a few years ago that determined Texas had 11 different schools that identified Texas as a rival. I believe Missouri was one. I need to go find the study. 

Well I guess it is better than Mizzou identifying Georgia as their rival. They can actually beat us.

2 minutes ago, n64ra said:

The ACC seems pretty boring. The only 3 permanent match up that screams good to me is Duke's. FSU vs Syracuse? Miami vs BC? Clemson vs NC State? Yawn.

Well Miami vs BC has the Flutie game. I don't follow Carolina area sports to know if there is a thing between Clemson and NC State but they have certainly played a lot. Most of the ACC schools are a long way away so why would they be exciting to us? 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're right but Missouri fans consider us rivals. I wish I was joking. 

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Rival is a strong word. They still consider KU their rival, and have been whining to play them since.

Hate is more accurate, as misguided as it is. Missouri really is a pathetic little school and fanbase. There’s a reason bowtie moved and fit right in. If aggy were at home plate, MU would be no further out than shortstop.

10 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

I don't think A&M's the problem. It's the league's bottom-dwellers, especially ones that have in-state out-of-conference rivals, such as Kentucky, South Carolina, and a passel of other pussies.

Aggy is part of the problem. They are joined by all of the small schools, namely Kentucky and South Carolina. 

I do sympathize with South Carolina. A 9 game SEC conference schedule + Clemson every year is going to keep them in the basement for eternity. 

13 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I hope the ACC eliminating divisions next year qualifies as "conference realignment".

I will never know if we were 5/12ths of Atlantic or Coastal.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Aggy is part of the problem. They are joined by all of the small schools, namely Kentucky and South Carolina. 

I do sympathize with South Carolina. A 9 game SEC conference schedule + Clemson every year is going to keep them in the basement for eternity. 

One school's basement is another's ground floor. 

19 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well Miami vs BC has the Flutie game. I don't follow Carolina area sports to know if there is a thing between Clemson and NC State but they have certainly played a lot. Most of the ACC schools are a long way away so why would they be exciting to us? 

Good match ups are entertaining no matter how physically far away they are. Some quotes from fans of ACC schools:

• Georgia Tech and Clemson makes sense... Wake Forest and Louisville? What? Duke, FSU, Virginia, VT, UNC, Miami... anyone that was in the coastal... ANY of those make more sense than WF and Louisville.
  • Wake and NCSU was among the longest continuously played rivalries in the country.
  • Miami had to have FSU, VT, and then either BC or Pitt since Miami has Big East history with those teams. Not having Miami and VT is just... questionable.

20 minutes ago, n64ra said:

Good match ups are entertaining no matter how physically far away they are. Some quotes from fans of ACC schools:

• Georgia Tech and Clemson makes sense... Wake Forest and Louisville? What? Duke, FSU, Virginia, VT, UNC, Miami... anyone that was in the coastal... ANY of those make more sense than WF and Louisville.
  • Wake and NCSU was among the longest continuously played rivalries in the country.
  • Miami had to have FSU, VT, and then either BC or Pitt since Miami has Big East history with those teams. Not having Miami and VT is just... questionable.

Ok so why is NC State vs Wake Forest more exciting to you than NC State vs Clemson? I don't understand your standards of good matchups or excitement here. Why is VTech vs Miami exciting? But Georgia Tech vs Louisville very unexciting?

They all could be exciting based on the circumstances, if you both teams are really good or something, but what makes them exciting just because of the schools involved? Especially to people who don't know any grads from any of the schools involved.

Besides it sounds like they are going to playing the other schools pretty regularly. Twice every four years is just like the old Big 12, not the worst thing. Certainly not like the ridiculous farce that is the current SEC schedule system.

Edited by Valmy77

45 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

See: “Some quotes from fans of ACC schools. 

Those are about the permanent rivals making sense not about them being exciting. I mean Kansas vs Kansas State makes sense but that doesn't make it exciting.

And I already accounted for that, they are still going to play on the regular which is why I like that system. If we have that in the new SEC then I have no issue playing Arkansas twice every four year period. I would rather play them every year but hey, you know.

17 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Those are about the permanent rivals making sense not about them being exciting. I mean Kansas vs Kansas State makes sense but that doesn't make it exciting.

And I already accounted for that, they are still going to play on the regular which is why I like that system. If we have that in the new SEC then I have no issue playing Arkansas twice every four year period. I would rather play them every year but hey, you know.

Agreed

If we rank our Top 3 SEC rivals, it's 1) 0u 2) aggy and 3) Arky for me. Make it so, Sankey.

40 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Definitely more big games during DKR's era, for sure. That generation will rank Arky #2. 

When we hit the SEC, you will all find out about the arky fans and hate. I’ve personally seen some crazy stuff at their home games when we played them. Last year wasn’t shit in comparison. It was great too, so ready for it to come back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

When we hit the SEC, you will all find out about the arky fans and hate. I’ve personally seen some crazy stuff at their home games when we played them. Last year wasn’t shit in comparison. It was great too, so ready for it to come back.

i was there last September.. never seen so many horns down before in my life.. from banners outside the stadium to the big screen inside the stadium.. Also, it felt as if they were celebrating every milestone in their sports history during every timeout during the game..  We are a big, big deal to those people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Beast said:

Oh I know. I hate those fuckers. They are the worst.

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Also, it felt as if they were celebrating every milestone in their sports history during every timeout during the game..

Did they thank us for beating Joe Namath thus making their one national title possible? Of course not. Ungrateful bastards.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, DFW Horn said:

I only see 4 ACC teams on this year's ND schedule. I thought your deal required 5?

https://fbschedules.com/2022-notre-dame-football-schedule/

It is 4 some years and 6 others. 

Seriously though, the ACC divisions made no sense since they paid no attention to history, such as separating the North Carolina schools?  

9 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Rumors starting to swirl that USC and UCLA may be moving to the Big 10. Burton retweeted the first and comments are mentioning the rumors

I believe some combination of USC, Oregon, and Washington will be the first two.

UCLA tethered to Cal and their university system?

Things are always changing. You have to adapt or get left behind. Both the Big 12 and Pac 12 had small margines for error.

But I get it. If USC and UCLA want to stay big time programs, they have to do something. Similar to what we and OU had to do.

Sucks. The grumpy old man in me is very disgruntled. 

8 minutes ago, Saint Austin said:

Interesting. If true (and that's a major fucking "if"), it's a opportunity for the Big 12 to be the aggressor and poach the Arizonas, Utah, and Colorado back.

Isn't it too late for that? Having already taken UC and UCF and company?

• Haha 1