Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

2 hours ago, Slacks said:

Oh, Texas is screwing up traditional rivalries and travel distances and parents will never get to see games now.....  Waaaaaa....

Motherfucker...  EVERY SEC school is drivable in a day... No, it's not TCU or Baylor, but it's damn sure the same as Tech, KSU, KU...

Hell, UT to ISU is a thousand fucking miles, dude...  UT to WVU is FOURTEEN HUNDREED MILES!!!  Both are further than Florida and South Carolina

you stupid sip

when aggy left 11 years ago the earth was flat and all the distances were shorter

so now that UT is leaving aggy will only be 90 miles closer because of the libs!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Texas caused all of this.

Posted by ChiGator iconFlorida.gif on 7/8/22 at 10:58 am
The first domino to fall in this new world order was when the Texas Longhorn Network aired in 2011. Texas then bullied the B12 into dissolving and basically the rest is history. So thanks Texas for fricking everything up for everyone! 

Haha!  We are getting credit for all this shit?  Gzzzzzzz.  Whatever.

Ain’t no way a person from Chicago believes that. Want to blame someone?  Aggy and mizzou

Who cares if we get blamed. Nebraska wanted greener pastures and to get away from us and they are now an afterthought. Colorado wanted to get away from us and now they have to try to scrape for a spot. I don't think Mizzou cared, they just didn't want to lose a chance to move. I really don't blame them. I didn't want to stay in the Big 12 either. aggy wanted to get away from us and it worked for them for a little bit. Now we're back and get to torture them yet again all the while the SEC told them to STFU because Texas is worth adding so f your feelings. 

The Pac 12 breaking up isn't our fault. It's the Pac 12's fault for wanting to live in a West Coast bubble. Larry Scott had his chance to get us and bring the Pac 10 to a more central audience. But he chose the worthless Pac 12 Network over getting Texas and OU with the LHN.

And ultimately, realignment is the fault of two entities: Fox and ESPN. Fox for creating the inequity in tier 3 with the Big 10 Network combined with them and ESPN paying certain conferences way more than the rest. They created the arms race, not Texas. And no other school in Texas' position would've turned down 300 million if ESPN offered it. Not aggy, Colorado, Mizzou, or Nebraska. So naturally Texas was going to look to leave a Big 12 that was never going to earn as much as the Big 10 or SEC. We lived within the rules ESPN and Fox created. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure why you guys get so upset. You're the richest program and one of the best historically and most influential. Of course people are going to be angry. I'm a Cowboys fan, people hate them with a weird passion, and I don't care, it's because we're the most powerful NFL brand. I'm just riding the pine until we fucking win something meaningful and it will be glorious, even if I'm long dead.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm not sure why you guys get so upset. You're the richest program and one of the best historically and most influential. Of course people are going to be angry. I'm a Cowboys fan, people hate them with a weird passion, and I don't care, it's because we're the most powerful NFL brand. I'm just riding the pine until we fucking win something meaningful and it will be glorious, even if I'm long dead.

We made quite a few sacrifices to keep this co Terence alive and all we get is blame.  So excuse us for being a bit perturbed

• Hook 'Em 2

Richard Justice’s proposed solution:

“ I know that’s naive, but if they ever got together, it would take them about five minutes to come up with a brand-new conference that’d be wildly appealing in the Lone Star State. UT and A&M would be in it. So would Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Arkansas. Also Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, TCU, and SMU. (I’d also invite UTSA, UTEP, and North Texas.)”

C0D6DF46-1610-4156-A90F-7FC9AAA3C561.gif.cdb957342c9a1c7640c1f099d72f2d73.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 2

17 hours ago, Llogg said:

UW's stadium situation is one of the best in college football. An early season game with the sun setting over Puget Sound behind you? Fuck yes.

That's actually Lake Washington and the views from the upper deck are stunning.  

4 hours ago, 'stache said:

The part that's frustrating is that it has to be the PAC or the XII. I wish the 16 most valuable and that make the most sense could just opt out of either and form a new conference (if shedding programs from an existing conference isn't possible). Basically get rid of WSU, ORST and some the Big XII incoming newbs (and WVU because the geography is stuipid). 

UO, UW, Cal, Stan, AU, ASU, UT, CO, ISU, KU, KSU, OKST, Tech, TCU, and two of BU, UH, and BYU. I'd personally like to drop both BU and BYU and give SDSU a chance to get to 16. 

Why?  BYU brings a national brand that's bigger then OKState, but you want to drop them?  Ok, lol.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We made quite a few sacrifices to keep this co Terence alive and all we get is blame.  So excuse us for being a bit perturbed

And all it took was a $300 million for a single school network very few people watched. Look, I personally don't care, it's all business, and as the big dogs, you'll always be a target. I think it's weird that it bothers you so much, but it's also pretty clear you have disdain for anyone who isn't a historic blue blood. It ultimately doesn't matter. You'll be in the SEC making a few hundred mil, doesn't really matter how the rest plays out for the rest of us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, FartingDreamer said:

That's actually Lake Washington and the views from the upper deck are stunning.  

Why?  BYU brings a national brand that's bigger then OSU, but you want to drop them?  Ok, lol.  

BYU is not a national brand you sad pathetic negger. Why do you think it took absolute desperation from a dying second tier conference before you even got an invite? And yes, you're school is weird, it's the truth from all outside observers. And don't even try to bring up 1984. You know what I'm talking about. But keep negging like a child. Srs bsns. Window coug, always and forever.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

BYU is not a national brand you sad pathetic negger. Why do you think it took absolute desperation from a dying second tier conference before you even got an invite? And yes, you're school is weird, it's the truth from all outside observers. And don't even try to bring up 1984. You know what I'm talking about. But keep negging like a child. Srs bsns. Window coug, always and forever.

BYU is most certainly a national brand (tell that to ESPN) and the only reason you were in the Big XII to begin with was because you were grandfathered in.  BYU has warranted P5 inclusion based on its merits much more then OSU.  You're just an unobjective, biased hater.   

And 1984 was unanimous and as legit as any.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

BYU is most certainly a national brand (tell that to ESPN) and the only reason you were in the Big XII to begin with was because you were grandfathered in.  BYU has warranted P5 inclusion based on its merits much more then OSU.  You're just an unobjective, biased hater.   

Well this is going to go well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

9 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Who cares if we get blamed. Nebraska wanted greener pastures and to get away from us and they are now an afterthought. Colorado wanted to get away from us and now they have to try to scrape for a spot. I don't think Mizzou cared, they just didn't want to lose a chance to move. I really don't blame them. I didn't want to stay in the Big 12 either. aggy wanted to get away from us and it worked for them for a little bit. Now we're back and get to torture them yet again all the while the SEC told them to STFU because Texas is worth adding so f your feelings. 

The Pac 12 breaking up isn't our fault. It's the Pac 12's fault for wanting to live in a West Coast bubble. Larry Scott had his chance to get us and bring the Pac 10 to a more central audience. But he chose the worthless Pac 12 Network over getting Texas and OU with the LHN.

And ultimately, realignment is the fault of two entities: Fox and ESPN. Fox for creating the inequity in tier 3 with the Big 10 Network combined with them and ESPN paying certain conferences way more than the rest. They created the arms race, not Texas. And no other school in Texas' position would've turned down 300 million if ESPN offered it. Not aggy, Colorado, Mizzou, or Nebraska. So naturally Texas was going to look to leave a Big 12 that was never going to earn as much as the Big 10 or SEC. We lived within the rules ESPN and Fox created. 

Damn; I miss the idea of the P16.  For us left coast horns, it would have been perfect.   Speaking for pretty much everyone west of the Mississippi; fuck Larry Scott and all the university presidents who licked his taint for so long (rumor has it the AD’s wanted him gone).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

And all it took was a $300 million for a single school network very few people watched. Look, I personally don't care, it's all business, and as the big dogs, you'll always be a target. I think it's weird that it bothers you so much, but it's also pretty clear you have disdain for anyone who isn't a historic blue blood. It ultimately doesn't matter. You'll be in the SEC making a few hundred mil, doesn't really matter how the rest plays out for the rest of us.

The point that you seem to miss is the LHN came into existence after aggy and the other schools bailed.  They shrewedly used it as an excuse, but that was a lie.

I will forever remain pissed at DeLoss Dodds for not refuting it.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're the best at money, so yes, we are #1.

Well until NIL came along that wasn't a big deal as even Iowa State could afford to gold plate their locker room and pay millions for coaches. Sure we had a little bit more money then Bama but not enough to outbid them for Saban or anything. Coaches turn us down because everyone can afford to pay top dollar. So if you can't have decisively better facilities or coaches what fucking good does the money do us? Answer me that?

We'll see if NIL leads to wins. Otherwise being the accounting champs doesn't seem to do us that much good.

Edited by Valmy77

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

With OU leaving the conference aren't you excited to have someone in the conference to fill the hate void? Makes the games more interesting, no? I'm starting to hate OSU and I don't even know you very well, yet.

spacer.png

Edited by Crockett

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Look, I personally don't care, it's all business, and as the big dogs, you'll always be a target. I think it's weird that it bothers you so much

It’s mostly just that the shit Texas gets blamed for is oversimplified, misinterpreted,  intellectually dishonest, borderline absurd in some cases, and often just flat out inaccurate, yet it gets echoed incessantly and has become college football dogma among writers, fans, etc. It’s annoying because nobody is particularly interested in any details other than the narrative that “Texas kills conferences” and “Texas caused all of this.” Lazy, inaccurate drivel gets old and makes you wish people would do better or be just be honest.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

This article is behind The Athletic's paywall. A little help?

Staples: The realignment battle for No. 1 — and for No. 3 — comes down to TV eyeballs

ARLINGTON, TX - DECEMBER 29: Clemson Tigers wide receiver Justyn Ross (8) catches a pass along the sidelines and stiff arms Notre Dame Fighting Irish safety Jalen Elliott (21) during the CFP Semifinal Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic game between the Clemson Tigers and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish on December 29, 2018 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. (Photo by Matthew Pearce/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)
By Andy Staples
6h ago

When schools begin jumping from one conference to another, the same argument always breaks out. Fans of a school wishing to move to a more prestigious league will tout the audience their school brings. Fans hoping their league can stay together will point to the audience their league has.

These arguments tend to take place with no factual basis. Meanwhile, schools and conferences hire television consultants who keep granular, to-the-minute data about who is watching and for how long. Because while there are a few reasons to add a school to a league — adding population to the conference footprint to make more money off cable subscribers or adding academically prestigious universities that burnish a league’s reputation — the most important factor remains eyeballs. Do people want to watch Team X enough to make adding Team X worthwhile?

As the Pac-12 tries to deal with the fallout of losing UCLA and USC to the Big Ten and the Big 12 explores a raid on the Pac-12, audience data can be quite instructive. It also helps explain the angst in the ACC, where several programs at the top of the league’s Q score ratings should be making huge money but are tethered to a deal that pays them less than they’re worth and lasts until 2036. Plus, TV ratings make abundantly clear why Notre Dame holds all the cards in this round of realignment and why the Fighting Irish can go as fast or slow as they wish evaluating the landscape to decide whether they need to join a conference in football.

Last year, we examined the Four Million Club. Those are the games that truly move the needle for television programmers. Much of the action of realignment has been to consolidate the schools that create those games. At this point, the Big Ten and SEC have scooped up most of them.

So how do we evaluate the rest? Some, like Oregon, Washington, Clemson and Florida State, believe they deserve inclusion in one of the two mega-conferences. Others either are trying to figure out what to do next or might be expansion targets for the leagues operating a notch below the mega-conferences. The Big Ten and SEC have only so much room, so the race to be conference No. 3 in terms of revenue will get downright Darwinian. The remaining Pac-12 schools and the Big 12 schools — with new media rights deals about to be negotiated — all are trying to determine how the most profitable arrangement might look, and ACC leaders hope their conference’s grant of rights agreement keeps the most desirable members from leaving.

It would be easy to calculate a median or average TV audience number for the schools in question, but it might not be as instructive. Part of the problem with measuring television audience for games is not knowing how many people tuned in to watch which team. With Oklahoma and Texas still in the Big 12 and USC and UCLA still in the Pac-12, how do we use the data from those games? It’s probably best to throw them out and measure the schools based on who wants to see them when they aren’t playing a team either in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC. So that’s what I did. I took the ratings spreadsheet I made last year* — which includes data from 2015-19 — and added 2021 data. I left out 2020 because the unevenness of the pandemic year skewed the numbers.

*This data comes courtesy of the excellent Sports Media Watch, where Jon Lewis faithfully compiles ratings every week of the season.

I then examined the games between teams that aren’t in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC (and aren’t Notre Dame) when they played other teams that aren’t in or headed to the Big Ten or SEC (and aren’t Notre Dame). Instead of four million, I set the cutline at one million. We still have the same issue of trying to decipher which school people tuned in to watch, but if a team that cracked a million at least 20 times in six seasons did it against a team that cracked a million twice in six seasons, it’s pretty easy to answer that question. It’s also pretty easy to imagine that if the team that cracked a million at least 20 times played in a league with a bunch of schools that regularly crack three or four million viewers, even more people would watch.

From 2015-19 and in 2021 there were 914 rated regular-season (no conference title games) televised games not involving Notre Dame or anyone who will be in the Big Ten or SEC.

• 284 of those games drew more than a million viewers. (By contrast, 732 of 951 games involving the Big Ten, SEC and/or Notre Dame drew more than one million viewers.)

• 117 games drew more than two million viewers.

• 47 games drew more than three million viewers.

• 27 games drew more than four million viewers.

• 14 games drew more than five million viewers.

• Of those, six were the Army-Navy game.

There probably is another conversation to be had about the service academies, but that particular game is unique in that it has a rich history and usually is the only college football game on its weekend. For realignment purposes, the games that take place on standard in-season dates are the ones that draw the most attention.

So which teams cracked a million the most? Two ACC teams, followed by two Pac-12 schools.

GAMES TEAMS
Clemson
Florida State
Washington
Oregon
Miami
Washington State
Oklahoma State, Utah
Louisville, Stanford
North Carolina
Baylor, Colorado, Virginia Tech
TCU, West Virginia
Arizona State, Boise State
BYU, Cal, Pittsburgh
Cincinnati, NC State
Syracuse
Texas Tech, UCF, Virginia
Houston, USF, Wake Forest
Army, Boston College, Iowa State, Navy
Arizona, Georgia Tech, Memphis
Duke
Kansas State, SMU, Temple
Oregon State
Air Force, Colorado State, Kansas, Marshall, Tulsa, UConn, Utah State
1: Alcorn State, Appalachian State, Coastal Carolina, FAU, Kent State, N.C. Central, Rice, San Diego State, Nevada, Tulane

Why do Clemson and Florida State fans complain that they belong in the SEC? Because they rate like SEC teams. It should be noted that Florida State hasn’t been good for most of the period included, and the Seminoles still keep drawing viewers. Clemson had the most-watched single game in this group when Deshaun Watson and the Tigers dueled with Lamar Jackson and Louisville in 2016 (9.3 million viewers), and the Tigers were the most consistent at drawing viewers. Games on the ACC, Pac-12 and SEC networks aren’t rated, so Clemson’s ACC Network games aren’t included, but if we bring back all the Tigers’ opponents — which include Notre Dame and several SEC programs — the Tigers had a median audience of 2.6 million viewers.

This was far and away the best of the group. In fact, Clemson comes close to Notre Dame, which had a median audience of 2.9 million during the six-season stretch. To understand why everyone wants the Fighting Irish, consider this. In 68 rated games during those six seasons, Notre Dame drew at least one million viewers 67 times. Only the 2017 game against Miami (Ohio) on NBC Sports Network came up short (798,000 viewers). Meanwhile, Notre Dame broke two million viewers 54 times, broke three million 32 times and broke five million 15 times.

Clemson doesn’t have the alumni spread or the brand awareness of Notre Dame, but it’s clear people want to watch the Tigers play. Atlantic Division (RIP) rival Florida State drew a median audience of 1.9 million in 49 rated games over the same period. The only other schools in that neighborhood were Oregon (1.9 million), Washington (1.6 million) and Louisville (1.6 million).

Do the Cardinals surprise you there? They surprised me as well. I wondered if they’d gotten a serious lift because of the two seasons with 2016 Heisman Trophy winner Jackson as the primary starting QB (2016 and 2017), but the median audience in those years was only 200,000 viewers above the median for the entire sample.

Conversations with people in the SEC suggest that in addition to the obvious reasons for wanting Clemson and Florida State, North Carolina and Virginia are highly coveted. The Tar Heels (1.2 million in 24 rated games) and Cavaliers (1.4 million in 24 rated games) don’t bring the same raw audience, but a different kind of math could be drawing the eye of SEC leaders. Clemson, Florida State, Louisville and Miami (1.4 million in 47 rated games) are all in states that already are in the SEC footprint. Within the footprint, the SEC Network commands a subscriber fee of about $1.40 a month. Outside the footprint, the fee is much lower. North Carolina and Virginia are the two largest states that include neither a Big Ten nor an SEC school. Assuming the fee rises by about $1 a month for territory added to the footprint, it makes sense for the SEC — or the Big Ten, for that matter — to want to plant a flag in those two states. That’s a lot of new money from millions of cable, satellite and streaming bundle subscribers.

The other obvious question is “Why doesn’t one league take North Carolina and Virginia and one take NC State and Virginia Tech?” In this sample, the two flagships drew larger audiences. In 26 rated games, NC State drew a median of 1.1 million viewers. In 41 rated games, Virginia Tech drew a median audience of 968,000.

That cable subscriber math also helps explain why the Pac-12 and ACC would discuss an arrangement that would put Pac-12 games on the ACC’s channel. That would fuel better distribution on the West Coast and turn out-of-footprint subscribers into in-footprint subscribers. The only question is how the leagues would split the new money. It hardly seems worth it for ACC members to give up the exclusivity of their own network if they don’t get most of the spoils. Meanwhile, Pac-12 members might be just as disappointed as they were with the money they currently receive (or don’t) from the Pac-12 Network if they don’t see much revenue from the deal.

The ratings offer a fascinating window into the dynamics at play in the Big 12 and Pac-12. According to the audience numbers, Oregon and Washington are the two most bankable brands among those two leagues. Our list of one-million-viewer games shows a surprising affinity for Washington State (21 games — one behind Miami), but otherwise, there really isn’t much difference between the group of schools remaining in the Pac-12 and the group of schools that will make up the Big 12 after Oklahoma and Texas leave.

So if the Big Ten decided it wanted to go west again and snag Oregon and Washington, the Big 12 would be in prime position to scoop up the best that remains of the Pac-12. But even if the Big Ten decides to hold at 16 for now, the Big 12 still could use this information to its advantage. It could show Oregon and Washington that schools such as Baylor, BYU, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State and TCU produce comparable or better numbers than the group Oregon and Washington would have to prop up in the Pac-12. Or it could make that same pitch to Colorado and Utah, attacking the middle of the Pac-12 — from a brand standpoint — with the hope that losing it would force the Ducks and Huskies to make a move. And while few of the projections have suggested Washington State as a target, perhaps the Cougars should be. They seem to play games viewers find interesting. Their median audience in 39 rated games was 1.5 million viewers. Take away six rated games against USC and UCLA, and the Cougars’ median audience remains 1.5 million viewers.

These numbers will be crunched and chewed upon throughout the next few months as schools and leagues try to decide their next steps. If their previous moves are any indication, the Big Ten and SEC ultimately will try to take what’s left at the top of the other leagues in order to further cement their dominance. But the race to be No. 3 — and possibly to stay alive — likely will come down to eyeballs earned.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

As pointed out in the link several pages up listing average viewership Wazzu, like Iowa State, are actually much higher than most would expect in TV viewership.  Small rural schools can have very dedicated fan bases.  

35 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Kind of what I expected, though Washington State surprised me.  For all the Iowa State talk on this board lately, interesting to see how low they rank in terms of eyeballs and the number of remaining Big XII teams they rank behind in terms of eyeballs including ones I wouldn’t have thought such as TCU

1 minute ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Kind of what I expected, though Washington State surprised me.  For all the Iowa State talk on this board lately, interesting to see how low they rank in terms of eyeballs and the number of remaining Big XII teams they rank behind in terms of eyeballs including ones I wouldn’t have thought such as TCU

Yep. It seems pretty clear there are four big dogs left: Clemson, FSU, Oregon and Washington. After that the drop off is pretty significant. For the SEC it does make sense to bring Virginia and NC to add new states. But after that there’s just not much on offer. 

30 minutes ago, SDG said:

As pointed out in the link several pages up listing average viewership Wazzu, like Iowa State, are actually much higher than most would expect in TV viewership.  Small rural schools can have very dedicated fan bases.  

I wonder how much you should credit a program for willingness to play on Thursday/Friday night, or at nearly midnight on Saturday, such that they have a TV window to themselves.  It probably should count for something.  Would Tech have more 1M+ viewer games if they played a bunch on Thursday/Friday?  It's likely.  Would they do it?  Who knows.

I would also like to see how these schools rank at is relates to number of horribly rated games.  That would present a picture about what the floor of these programs are.  

I would also like to see how these schools rank at is relates to number of horribly rated games.  That would present a picture about what the floor of these programs are.  

TV ratings power should be judged by a team’s game against their worst opponent. For example, UT vs UTEP. No one is tuning in to watch UTEP. The ratings for that game would be representative of solely UT’s TV ratings power.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

The other obvious question is “Why doesn’t one league take North Carolina and Virginia and one take NC State and Virginia Tech?” In this sample, the two flagships drew larger audiences. In 26 rated games, NC State drew a median of 1.1 million viewers. In 41 rated games, Virginia Tech drew a median audience of 968,000.

1 hour ago, SimkinsMan said:

Yep. It seems pretty clear there are four big dogs left: Clemson, FSU, Oregon and Washington. After that the drop off is pretty significant. For the SEC it does make sense to bring Virginia and NC to add new states. But after that there’s just not much on offer. 

UNC and Virginia could fit nicely in the MAGA Conference.

I wonder how much of WSU's numbers can be attributed to Leach?  I'd like to see the breakdown of 2021 vs the 2015-2019 average in Andy Staples' data.  

His article also confirms that getting a conference channel into a new state/local market and the jump in rates is still an important factor, just not quite as big as before.

Obviously these tv number articles have to be looked at with a squinty eye, because of so many factors.  I wouldn't get hung up on a few digits difference in schools, but breaking them into quarters is somewhat revealing.  Better than many expected for WSU, Colorado, and Baylor, but not so great for ISU, and really bad for GT, Duke, Oregon St, KSU, and Kansas.  Factoring in channels and conferences, it also suggests UH in the B12 may end up outperforming Tceh in TV ratings.

Edited by clapclapclap

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

I wonder how much you should credit a program for willingness to play on Thursday/Friday night, or at nearly midnight on Saturday, such that they have a TV window to themselves.  It probably should count for something.  Would Tech have more 1M+ viewer games if they played a bunch on Thursday/Friday?  It's likely.  Would they do it?  Who knows.

This is something Mike Gundy always talks about when people bitched about playing on thursday or friday. Getting a primetime game on a day when there's nobody else playing gives the potential to have a lot of people watching. Texas and ou don't need the help but programs like OSU can really use it. I still hate friday games but I don't disagree with his point. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sandman said:

This is something Mike Gundy always talks about when people bitched about playing on thursday or friday. Getting a primetime game on a day when there's nobody else playing gives the potential to have a lot of people watching. Texas and ou don't need the help but programs like OSU can really use it. I still hate friday games but I don't disagree with his point. 

Wazzu does play one Friday game a year called Apple Cup.  Outside of that I think they played 1 other th/fr game during this timeframe (it may be 0 but I’m too lazy to look it up).  As far as Pac-12 after dark; everyone hated it, including Leach, but it was such a big TV draw they kept getting slotted there thanks to total P12 mismanagement.  That can’t be changed now.  The question is; did people find the product interesting or not?  I can’t speculate on how things will end up, but at least Wazzu proved they could generate enough storylines to keep people interested.   

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Well until NIL came along that wasn't a big deal as even Iowa State could afford to gold plate their locker room and pay millions for coaches. Sure we had a little bit more money then Bama but not enough to outbid them for Saban or anything. Coaches turn us down because everyone can afford to pay top dollar. So if you can't have decisively better facilities or coaches what fucking good does the money do us? Answer me that?

We'll see if NIL leads to wins. Otherwise being the accounting champs doesn't seem to do us that much good.

It means we get to say we have lots and lots of money. This isn't complicated.

Edited by David Dennison

8 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

You are not going to find faith-promoting testimony around here.  Please stand down.

/investigator

• Hook 'Em 1

Thinking about this a little more, since this is obviously only about TV ratings, we have to assume at some point most of the games against mid-majors/FCS schools are going to go away, right?  I imagine the TV networks pay more for 11 conference games than they would for 9 + 3 games against the MWC/MAC/CUSA/Etc.

The SEC probably doesn't have much incentive to go beyond 20 schools, but if 11 conference games is workable and the B1G wants to really build a national conference, they kind of do.  I keep thinking about UNC/UVA because they both have top 10 endowments amongst public schools - they're a great academic fit in the B1G but just don't make sense in an expansion stopping at 20 - they could if it went to 24 though and we assume that there are no longer four power conferences, just the B1G/SEC and a 3rd super conference paid considerably less than the top 2.  I still don't think USC/UCLA make a lot of sense unless they bring some travel partners.  If you game out a move to 24 for the B1G it might look something like this:

Pacifc

USC

Notre Dame

UCLA

Stanford

Oregon

Washington

Great Plains

Wisconsin

Iowa

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Illinois

Great Lakes

Ohio State

Michigan

Michigan State

Purdue

Indiana

Rutgers

Atlantic

Penn State

Miami

Maryland

Virginia

North Carolina

Georgia Tech

There are two academic outliers there - Notre Dame & Miami.  All the others fit the B1G's academic profile almost perfectly.  If you played an 11 game conference schedule you'd just rotate divisions every year with no crossovers, almost all major traditional rivalries are preserved there, except Rutgers being an odd fit in the Great Lakes, but I don't think anyone gives a fuck about Rutgers.

That would leave FSU/Clemson to the SEC as an obvious move, then if they wanted a foothold in Virginia/North Carolina, they could grab Va Tech/Duke.  I don't think the SEC would have much of an incentive to go beyond 20, the B1G kind of does if they're trying to pull off a national conference w/ some regional flavor in the divisions.