Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

38 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I don't see it this way at all. ESPN and FOX were willing to pay the SEC and the BIG more money in part because they knew they weren’t going to pay the PAC. And now they get all of the best teams from the PAC anyway.

That Apple deal was so shitty that the PAC decided to disband instead. Maybe they will be in the future, but Apple isn’t a threat to ESPN or FOX yet. 

Dear ACC,

The bell tolls for thee

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All of them are between 45-65K. Bigger than most of the ACC and same as half of the Big 10. Less than the bulk of the SEC for sure.

mizzou, miss st., ole miss, kentucky, vandy are all under 65k.  south carolina and arky are in mid 70's.

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

So we now have 2 Power conferences -SEC/Big10

and 2 Mid Level conferences in the Big 12/ACC

P5 and G5 terminology needs an update. Go back to varsity/ jr varsity?

Considering that there isn't a distinction in the 12 team playoff, is there a reason to even keep the two groups separated?

19 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

All of them are between 45-65K. Bigger than most of the ACC and same as half of the Big 10. Less than the bulk of the SEC for sure.

Boone Pickens renovations reduced from 60K to 55K. The money today isn't on number of tickets, it's tv contracts, so the seats are more about quality than quantity. I gave up my season tickets about 5 years ago because family and other obligations, but I assume they're quite a bit more these days. The reduction was by creating more seat room and adding a bunch of permanent seatbacks. It's Oklahoma, so it's also probably because we're all fat as fuck. UH and Cincy look like they are at 40K, which is small, but as long as they sell the seats and it looks good on TV, it's fine in my opinion. I'll take a full Nippert stadium with 40K than 45K at the Rosebowl, which is half capacity. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Houston stadium is 40k and Cincinnati's stadium is 38k.

Forgot about Cincy for sure, but I couldn’t care less because Nippert looks awesome. It’s the Wrigley of college football. Even if they could average 50K in Paul Brown, I’d rather they play sell outs there.

Same with Houston, but their fanbase seems shitty

23 minutes ago, Deej said:

Looking at that map, they really should dump UCF, West Virginia, Cincinnati, and Iowa State.

I know Morgantown doesn't even have an airport, but they are consistently one of the four most valuable teams in NEW12. ISU fans are the most dedicated anywhere, that place has a crowd whether they suck or not. If you look at the population density in that area, they consistently over perform. Cincy, is selling tickets at a record rate. Ohio is the seventh most populous state and there are a lot people in the state that are eager to have a big conference team to root for besides Ohio St. In any area, there's always a large percentage of the populace that does NOT want to root for the dominate regional team. Just like there's lots of Austin area horn haters. UCF plays their local tourist industry card better than anybody.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Boone Pickens renovations reduced from 60K to 55K. The money today isn't on number of tickets, it's tv contracts, so the seats are more about quality than quantity. I gave up my season tickets about 5 years ago because family and other obligations, but I assume they're quite a bit more these days. The reduction was by creating more seat room and adding a bunch of permanent seatbacks. It's Oklahoma, so it's also probably because we're all fat as fuck. UH and Cincy look like they are at 40K, which is small, but as long as they sell the seats and it looks good on TV, it's fine in my opinion. I'll take a full Nippert stadium with 40K than 45K at the Rosebowl, which is half capacity. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Florida loses at least 5k in this upcoming $400M revision.

It's always been tight in the bleachers but butts are wider and Florida is getting hotter.

I used to hate sitting in the "cheap seats" in Sunshine Terrace (upper north endzone) but we sat there several games last season and having chairbacks plus room for air to flow sold me on those even though the perspective isn't as good as being on the sides.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Forgot about Cincy for sure, but I couldn’t care less because Nippert looks awesome. It’s the Wrigley of college football. Even if they could average 50K in Paul Brown, I’d rather they play sell outs there.

Same with Houston, but their fanbase seems shitty

Houston has tons of Big XII alums and is driving distance for the original Big XII schools. They'll sell out regularly with half or more visiting fans. That's my prediction. 

10 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Same with Houston, but their fanbase seems is shitty.

They're shitty.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Houston has tons of Big XII alums and is driving distance for the original Big XII schools. They'll sell out regularly with half or more visiting fans. That's my prediction. 

Sounds Vandy.

6 schools are within 300 miles of Nashville and it's a great town to visit.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Not sure about that long term. It's not a place where you think you'll definitely want to go back to watch a game. At least imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, CustersDoctor said:

I know Morgantown doesn't even have an airport, but they are consistently one of the four most valuable teams in NEW12. ISU fans are the most dedicated anywhere, that place has a crowd whether they suck or not. If you look at the population density in that area, they consistently over perform. Cincy, is selling tickets at a record rate. Ohio is the seventh most populous state and there are a lot people in the state that are eager to have a big conference team to root for besides Ohio St. In any area, there's always a large percentage of the populace that does NOT want to root for the dominate regional team. Just like there's lots of Austin area horn haters. UCF plays their local tourist industry card better than anybody.

yikes-judge-judy-laptop-twyhwflb1j1jhra4

29 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/ranking-pac-12-teams-by-average-attendance-in-2022#gid=ci02b8bac4200125d6&pid=12-washington-state

Attendance stats for the PAC from 2022 show that B1G is getting the top three, (USC, Washington, Quack) B12 should be taking the next four, (Colorado, Arizona, the Arizona State fighting crows, and the Utah Youts) then B1G gets UCLA. Of the last four who don't have landing spots, Cal is the only one that drew over 30,000 per game. 

Of the top 25 teams in home attendance, Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame and Virginia Tech are the only ones that aren't in either the SEC or B1G, or are committed to them for the future, and Clemson is the highest non SEC/B!G at #14. 

https://badgerswire.usatoday.com/lists/top-25-college-football-teams-in-home-attendance-for-2022-season/

Shows a clear demarcation. ACC is top heavy, but they're going to die on the vine if they don't figure out a way to get out of the contract. UCF being better funded than FSU drove them crazy. 

Help me out here.  Why is Arizona a bigger get than Arizona State?  Zona State is in a bigger market (Phoenix) and a larger school (65K students to 36K).  They're both the same in football with Arizona being better in basketball if that matters.

Thanks.  I'll hang up and listen.  

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Help me out here.  Why is Arizona a bigger get than Arizona State?  Zona State is in a bigger market (Phoenix) and a larger school (65K students to 36K).  They're both the same in football with Arizona being better in basketball if that matters.

Basketball.

Market probably does not matter.  I would think both state schools do about the same in Phoenix.  So many transplants in that town.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I think all four are kind of a wash from a value standpoint. Utah has the best football, Zona has the best basketball, ASU and Colorado are biggest markets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that UA was willing to move.  That's it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I think all four are kind of a wash from a value standpoint. Utah has the best football, Zona has the best basketball, ASU and Colorado are biggest markets.

So, is Zona State to Phoenix like UC to Denver in that no on really cares for a whole list of reasons?  (Lots of transplants, pro sports, more to do, etc.)

3 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Cal closes up shop?

They should, but instead they'll be a remora attached to UCLA for the foreseeable future.  

UCLA should be lobbying furiously to get Cal into the BIG, as your alimony payment could be crazy if Cal ends up in the MWC.

Although a crazy alimony payment is very on-brand for CA, and wealth re-distribution is right out of a bunch of the UC Regents' party manual, errr....playbook.

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The University of State is always a more valuable property than State State University. Website out front shoulda told ya.

(Yes this is only true 95% of the time, but good rule of thumb)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTbear said:

So where is that USC poster who spent the last several weeks writing book-length posts about how "the Zeros" aka "Eugene Community College" would "never" get into the B1G?

That was me.  I took the L in detail in a post where I replied to bullet.

Since bullet was the person who was most adamant that the Zeros would get in the BIG, I wanted to give him his props.

From the looks of it, I was probably typing that as you were posting this.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Basketball.

Market probably does not matter.  I would think both state schools do about the same in Phoenix.  So many transplants in that town.

Not to mention the “academic” side, UA is a research university, asu is state university. Or as a prof at a Cal State tried to explain it: “ the UC schools are research, we (Cal State) are the “working schools”. Not like that matters when it comes to athletics (except in the WAC 8, RIP), but there you go. Plus as someone said, UA was ready and willing to dip.

• Like 1