Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

ESPN announces gambling site. Iowa just had a big gambling scandal. Pretty sure that's all he meant.

Oh.  Duh.

I knew there was probably an obvious explanation, but I’m just so sick of that gambling investigation I try not to even think about it

38 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

If they're inviting SMU, then FSU is definitely out the door.

12 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

If they lose FSU, they probably need to add a FL flag, too, for the ACCN subs.  They could pick up USF/SMU as full members, Cal/Stanford as partial members in football only.  That would (maybe not coincidentally) create opportunities for ND to play the national schedule it covets while remaining in the ACC.  

Is whoever passes himself off as ACC commissioner even trying with Clemson/FSU?

Just now, mdmost said:

Is that a 'No' on my idea for Stanford to the SEC?

5 hours ago, slorch said:

I don't think Cal or Stanford either one are 'boring' opponents, whether it is basketball or football either one.  They definitely have tradition in their own right, with cats like McCaffrey, Rahgahs, BeastMode, etc, etc through the years in the NFL.

As we played both last year I assure one is boring and the other is not.  ND-LJSU may be a constructed rivalry but it got interesting when Harbaugh&Shaw started running the system most old guard fans wanted at ND, smashmouth with a fullback. 

46 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Underrated...let's check the math:

Stanford, Cal and SMU come in to give them 18, pay them all $15m.   $45m gets split between FSU/Clemson, plus a bigger share of the post season...that could be a $25-35m bump for each, getting them to $55-65m.   

On 8/6/2023 at 12:21 PM, bullet said:

Sounds like Mizzou.  They stayed in the union, but sued them!!!

And actually, Missouri was one of the 13 stars on the Confederate flag.  There was a rump secession legislature.  Same with Kentucky.

it was more than rump; the rebels won the 'bull run of the west' at wilson's creek (springfield) and held the arkansas/missouri border for 10 months until pea ridge

missouri was far more rebel than ken-tuck-eee

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There’s nothing there until the ACC cracks

Sure, but I want the sec to stay at 16.  IMHO any larger and no extra $$$ what's the point?  UF/FSU already plays every year...  so what happens if they get in?  Do we only play them on rotation?  Does UGA go on rotation?  Expansion = POD talk not going away

mr-horse-no-sir-i-dont-like-it.gif

If SEC does expand I hope they keep their powder dry and get big time programs...  and even then, I'd prefer not.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

I've never had Thunderbird, because back in college I grabbed a bottle out of the cooler at a conveinece store on east Oltorf and a homeless guy advised me to spend the extra money to buy Boone's...which is what he did.

I think he saved my life that night.

And that homeless man? You guessed it..was Frank Stallone. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, JMFP said:

So who's on the hook now for that $50 mil that the PAC owed to Comcast? 

If they dissolve it will be a line item on next year's revenue, so everyone will make less.   Same is true on if they liquidate assets, etc, that will all go into the pot to pay out before turning off the lights

19 minutes ago, locodos said:

Sure, but I want the sec to stay at 16.  IMHO any larger and no extra $$$ what's the point?  UF/FSU already plays every year...  so what happens if they get in?  Do we only play them on rotation?  Does UGA go on rotation?  Expansion = POD talk not going away

and even then, I'd prefer not.

Agree, the B1G looks ridiculous right now.   I'd take quality over quantity.    

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

They’re just recreating the OG Big 12 on steroids. Slamming two very different conferences together with larges egotistical programs at the top and a bunch of dead weight check cashers at the bottom.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 hour ago, Texas Wahoo said:

FSU, even FSU wouldn't make that kind of noise without a promise in their buckskin.  It must be the BUG.

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Not that I like them but can't really fault their masterplan.  From the PAC12 the BUG10 took most of the top half, getting two at a discount.  And there aren't really enough football playing schools remaining on the west coast for another conference to establish a presence. 

Meanwhile the Big12mart took four schools from two medium sized states. 

From a Clemson board, posted by the publisher...

I have been getting bombarded with questions as you might imagine about Clemson, conference expansion and the meetings today to discuss the possibility of adding 2 Pac-12 teams to the ACC. There are as usual some things I can't share, but I wanted to share some information.

- First the AD's did meet today to discuss the possibility of adding Stanford and Cal to the ACC.
- We were told the President's meeting was underway this afternoon
- It will take 12 teams to approve. Notre Dame is included in the voting.
- Clemson, North Carolina and Florida State were all against the proposal in the AD meeting. We expect the Presidents/Chancellors to be in agreement for those three with the ADs.
- So that means all of the other schools would need to vote yes for the conference to add the two schools. We have been told a few schools appeared to be undecided following the AD meeting. There was a majority of the conference in favor of the move.
- There is language in the ACC's contract that would allow for increased revenue from ESPN if the league can show adding the two teams would add value.
- This would not impact the Grant of Rights from what we were told by a source
- As we have previously reported Clemson has been doing everything they can to make sure they take care of Clemson for the long term. Those conversations have been active and we believe they continue at this time.

https://forums.theclemsoninsider.com/showthread.php?t=160174

• Hook 'Em 4

USC, UCLA, UO and UW were great gets for the B1G (especially the latter 2 at clearance sale prices). What don’t you think is “quality” about those pick ups?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, locodos said:

mr-horse-no-sir-i-dont-like-it.gif

If SEC does expand I hope they keep their powder dry and get big time programs...  and even then, I'd prefer not.

16 seems big enough, but now that the Big 10 went to 18, no conference capable of adding teams will stop doing it, regardless of negative effects.

I agree with you that the SEC will be a better product by not growing, but they’ll eventually feel compelled to match the Big 10’s raw #, which will come in the form of an ACC raid, which will result in the Big 12 growing from ACC leftovers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

The BIG had a fundamental problem- not enough programs that can win a national title in any given year vs what the SEC has.  

Every program cycles up and down, but the SEC has enough top programs that the conference is always in the hunt.

Up till now, it was Bama, UGA, LSU, UF, Auburn.  At least one of those programs is always a legit title threat and it's usually 2 or even 3.

Next year, UT and OU are joining, so the SEC-BIG imbalance gets even worse.  That's seven programs capable of winning a national title.

BIG has OSU, but they were the only real title threat for a long time.  They've won 2 titles in 20 years.  But OSU can't do it alone.

UM just woke up from a 20 year slumber, so that helps, but PSU doesn't seem to be producing any legit title teams.

//

I don't think the BIG had any choice but to go after any program that has a legit shot (even if it's a longshot) to win a National Title.

When USC isn't self-sanctioning with idiotic AD and HC hires, USC is legitimately capable of winning it all, with 2 titles in the last 20 years.

UO has played in two title games in the last 15 years, and UW has made the playoff.  

Does it match the SEC at the top ?  No.  But it's a lot better lineup than before, as there are now at least a handful of programs capable of winning it all, even if for some of them it would be a once-in-a-blue-moon type of thing.  

If the BIG could actually add FSU and Clemson, that would be a huge help.

There was a ton of existing deadweight that the BIG can't do anything about, so that is what it is, but at least now the ratio of quality vs quantity is a lot better than it was before.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

It's my understanding that Washington and Oregon will eventually get a full share and they aren't worth a full share so how is that a good decision? The Big Ten and SEC has prospered because they are in areas with strong fan interest and the Big Ten is adding schools in areas that have little to no interest in college sports and I don't know how that will work out in the long term.

45 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

USC, UCLA, UO and UW were great gets for the B1G (especially the latter 2 at clearance sale prices). What don’t you think is “quality” about those pick ups?

There were two different things being discussed.    The first was geographic continuity.   I still contend the B1G LOOKs ridiculous with the bulk of their members around the great lakes then a thousand miles of nothing until coastline.    That has nothing to do with the schools and everything to do with where the schools are.

Second, we were discussing the SEC and who they should grab, I was agreeing with the sentiment the SEC doesn't need to expand, do to favoring "quality over quantity."  The more big brands are condensed, the greater the interest, the higher the value.  

9 hours ago, CustersDoctor said:
On 8/7/2023 at 7:46 AM, Gene Parmesan said:

I think one of the attendance and fanbase problems that Cal, Stanford and SMU have is that they have ZERO appeal outside their graduates.

they don't have much appeal among their grads, either

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I spent the first 5 year of my career in Silicon Valley, and that was 100% my experience.  Outsiders (non-students or alumni) are not  welcome at the Stanford or Cal pregame tailgates.   There is no community support in Palo Alto or Berkeley, unless someone is making a buck off it.  And outside of alumni, nobody in the bay area give a single fuck about the so called 'big game'.

I moved from the Bay Area to a Big-10 town, and it was amazing, the tailgates and fan support was the whole fucking town. Didn't matter where you were from or where you went to school, once you were there, you were welcome to join the party. Hell, I even bought a team sweat jacket for the year I was there.  

It will be some nice schadenfreude when Stanford and Cal drop to FCS. 

ALL OF THIS.

Fuck em both. This talk of them joining this P5 conference or that P5 conference is wishful bullshit. Stanford belongs in a P5 conference as much as the University of Chicago, who hasn't had a football program since... i forget when and I'm not looking it up, because i don't care about them, either. There are 10 UCs, every last one is a top 100 school, and only 2 have football teams; the better one of the two is mediocre at best, and joining the B1G.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, closetohumping said:

They don’t gaf.  That’s the part we need to understand. Footballs just not a big deal out here.  I’d say sports isn’t really except for certain mlb and nba teams.  

they take baseball pretty seriously out here

There's a reason the NL West is such a dogfight every year.