Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I like schools playing ONE lower tier school a season. ACU has been making the rounds playing at A&M, at Baylor, at Mizz and at Tech. They can fund their entire program off of such games. Such games are indeed of value to the big schools early in the season. Its good to play a school that can expose some of your weaknesses without beating you. When UT plays Rice, UT will learn things. Do we have a punter? Do we have a kicker? If Rice burns the UT defense a few times, we're mad, but its good to know now. AND the best thing about playing some second tier school is seeing Appy St beat Aggie or Mich.

The late season SEC cupcake though, adds nothing, it should go.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Well, the schools care more about money than winning championships, just like the commissioners do.

Very good succinct counter argument. The question is how much more money do you get by including just the top 12 instead of 4 also ran conference champions. Will the extra money offset the additional money an individual school will make by progressing further into the playoff via additional exposure. My gut feel says no.

Edited by DanTheHorn

2 hours ago, bullet said:

There's even talk about giving UC/UH/UCF/BYU less than P5 shares for the next couple of years.  Just sounds unbelievably greedy.  Its a really, really bad look for an industry that already looks that way.  Especially with the massive money coming from the CFP and the massive raises the SEC and Big 10 just got.  Some of the presidents just need to slap Sankey and Pettiti, the way the presidents read the riot act to the commissioners sabotaging the expansion to 12.

BYU/UH/UCF/Cincy weren’t a part of the renegotiated CFP deal. I think it’s logical to question them getting full shares ESPECIALLY while the PAC4 is still influx. If the PAC4 invites the 12 teams from the MWC, do they get full shares? In a vacuum it is greedy, but you really don’t want to set that precedent right now.

Edited by TKthunder2
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, statsman said:

I know this is a very difficult concept for a lot of you IR8 fans, but the game has changed. Players get paid, there is no salary cap and there are few restrictions on player movement. 

OSU had a four year starting WB go to Ol Miss. Wake Forest had a two year starter at CB come to Texas. Alabama picked their new QB from ND. 

The SEC has clearly been the best conference for a while, maybe not as much as it is touted to be, but there is a reason so many NCs come from there. Now, the amount it is better by is only increasing. 

Moneyball was a cute story, but it was about one team, not a whole league (and what happened when the moneyed teams started applying those tools?). Do you think the B12 is going to moneyball FBS?

Yeah, I just don't see how the left behinds will be able to cope with the rich blue blood schools getting all of the best players. That's going to be completely different to how college football has always worked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah, I just don't see how the left behinds will be able to cope with the rich blue blood schools getting all of the best players. That's going to be completely different to how college football has always worked.

Except now there are no restrictions on transfers, essentially no scholarship limitations, and there's NIL.

Oklahoma State's four year starting QB bailed to middle of the road Ole Miss to be the fucking back up. That's not alarming?

So yeah, the rich blue bloods are still going to be getting the best players out of high school. And then when you unearth some diamond in the rough, they're coming for them too.

That's not aggy. That's reality.

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Except now there are no restrictions on transfers, essentially no scholarship limitations, and there's NIL.

Oklahoma State's four year starting QB bailed to middle of the road Ole Miss to be the fucking back up. That's not alarming?

So yeah, the rich blue bloods are still going to be getting the best players out of high school. And then when you unearth some diamond in the rough, they're coming for them too.

Spencer Sanders didn't leave to go be a backup. He left because he didn't like Gundy and he didn't get the interest he thought he would, so he settled for being a backup. If anything, he's a cautionary tale to others. There are also transfers leaving big time programs to start at mid-level schools.

• Hook 'Em 5

There are still 22 guys on the field at a time. They need playing time and exposure to make the NFL. All of these guys think they can make the league.

For every diamond that gets stolen by a blue blood, there’s a talented dude on an SEC roster not getting the PT he wants.

This is gonna traffic both directions and lead to the same aggregate talent differential we already have. It’s just that the path to that point will look really different
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Another reason not to beat your chest or clutch your pearls about where kids sign coming out of high school. Chances are they will not end up where they started. It’s the NFL.

44 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

There are still 22 guys on the field at a time. They need playing time and exposure to make the NFL. All of these guys think they can make the league.

For every diamond that gets stolen by a blue blood, there’s a talented dude on an SEC roster not getting the PT he wants.

This is gonna traffic both directions and lead to the same aggregate talent differential we already have. It’s just that the path to that point will look really different

This.  Mitch's fallacy is he thinks the transfer portal only goes in one direction.

Didn't TCU get two players from Alabama this past year?

Tech's starting QB came from Oregon, and Tyree Wilson (#8 overall NFL pick this past Spring) transferred to Tech from A&M as a preferred walk-on.  That's right.  A scholarship player at an SEC school transferred to Tech as a walk-on his first semester, and ended up being a #1 draft pick.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Uncle Nate said:

This.  Mitch's fallacy is he thinks the transfer portal only goes in one direction.

Tech's starting QB came from Oregon, and Tyree Wilson (#8 overall NFL pick this past Spring) transferred to Tech from A&M as a preferred walk-on.  That's right.  A scholarship player at an SEC school transferred to Tech as a walk-on his first semester, and ended up being a #1 draft pick.

Yeah, our top 2 receivers and 2 starting OL's this season are new transfers in.  Chip hates recruiting, but has figured the portal thing out.

1 minute ago, Big Frog II said:

With free agency, players are going to leave for more money, for more playing time, and if they get their feeling hurt.

Yeah. Most of the players who are going to make a difference are transferring from the haves to the have nots for playing time. NIL has nothing on NFL dreams.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

Bad example, TCU is picking up the trash and scraps from Bama, the blue chip recruits transferring down have so far all been universal busts. It’s the laterals and kids coming up a level that seem to be playing out.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

BYU/UH/UCF/Cincy weren’t a part of the renegotiated CFP deal. I think it’s logical to question them getting full shares ESPECIALLY while the PAC4 is still influx. If the PAC4 invites the 12 teams from the MWC, do they get full shares? In a vacuum it is greedy, but you really don’t want to set that precedent right now.

They were.  https://theathletic.com/3904973/2022/11/16/cfp-expansion-revenue-rose-bowl/

Article is dated November 16th, 2022.  Its just bad faith and greed by Sankey and Petitti.  Its the same bs from commissioners that nearly killed the expansion to 12 teams before the end of the contract.

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Bad example, TCU is picking up the trash and scraps from Bama, the blue chip recruits transferring down have so far all been universal busts. It’s the laterals and kids coming up a level that seem to be playing out.

Yep, it feels like Sark said never again after Hall. 

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

Our tier two programs are benefiting too from moves up. We signed an All-AAC linebacker and an All-Sunbelt offensive lineman. That’s huge for our program to get guys who are mature and developed instead of coaching up a 3 star high schooler. I really don’t think the dynamic will be much different between the bluebloods and tier 2 programs.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Sorry if this point already discussed/posted.

The ACC's Media Deal Allows ESPN to Renegotiate if the ACC Drops Below 15 Schools 

The ACC only has 14 Football schools;  15 is with ND in non-football sports.   I assume if any one of those 15 leave it would allow ESPN to renegotiate.

The problem with Brett McMurphy's point is that he doesn't explain how the ACC could drop below 15 schools.   They all signed the GOR that goes through 2036.   FSU wants to leave really bad. If they had a way to do that, they would be doing it. 

Unless Georgia Tech or Wake just decides to bail out of all sports, I'm not seeing the ACC going below 15....So there is no need to add teams as an insurance policy. 

Am I missing something?

38 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

The ACC only has 14 Football schools;  15 is with ND in non-football sports.   I assume if any one of those 15 leave it would allow ESPN to renegotiate.

The problem with Brett McMurphy's point is that he doesn't explain how the ACC could drop below 15 schools.   They all signed the GOR that goes through 2036.   FSU wants to leave really bad. If they had a way to do that, they would be doing it. 

Unless Georgia Tech or Wake just decides to bail out of all sports, I'm not seeing the ACC going below 15....So there is no need to add teams as an insurance policy. 

Am I missing something?

No, I can't think of a more terrible idea from the ACC.   I had heard the first time they looked for expansion they talked about taking 8 Pac teams, THEN found out they'd already moved to the B12.  

I cannot imagine this passing over the objections of FSU/Clemson to favor ND going to end well for the ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Am I missing something?

FSU's board seems to think they have a way out before 2036.

1 hour ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It makes a huge difference that the player can't talk to schools until he enters the portal. It's a big risk to leave a safe situation with playing time and exposure to see who bites in the portal.

Do you also believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy? 

For about the 100th time, I'm so fucking done with this thread. I should know better than to venture into the football board. But I really should know better than to come onto the realignment thread. But whatever, congrats to all the Sand Aggies and other left behinds, you win. You now have me convinced and the transfer portal is going to be a net push for the Big 12 and not an advantage to the SEC. The Big 12 will get multiple teams into the playoff. And the Big 12 is just as well or better off now that Texas and OU have gone. Adios motherfuckers. You guys have definitely been watching a different sport than I have the last 35 years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

You guys are a breath away from chanting SEC SEC SEC aren't you?

Sad.  The last redeeming quality Texas fans had was making fun of that.

The truth hurts. 

Just wait until those renegotiations hit with the TV deal you dumb fuck leeches will see what you are all really worth. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep, it feels like Sark said never again after Hall. 

Robinson has been fine. Hall was a reach (or prayer) because our WR room was hurt and struggling.
He turned around and got AD this year so it’s the exact opposite of never again. He will keep stacking weapons until he throttle people on offense every game. It’s fuckin sweet. 

5 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Yeah. Most of the players who are going to make a difference are transferring from the haves to the have nots for playing time. NIL has nothing on NFL dreams.

2 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

It makes a huge difference that the player can't talk to schools until he enters the portal. It's a big risk to leave a safe situation with playing time and exposure to see who bites in the portal.

Is this like a parody account or what?

I hope that no one posting here actually believes this shit. 

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Robinson has been fine. Hall was a reach (or prayer) because our WR room was hurt and struggling.
He turned around and got AD this year so it’s the exact opposite of never again. He will keep stacking weapons until he throttle people on offense every game. It’s fuckin sweet. 

I meant Bama castoffs. 

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

The truth hurts. 

Just wait until those renegotiations hit with the TV deal you dumb fuck leeches will see what you are all really worth. 

The first step will be seeing the ratings in Texas (where the B12 viewership numbers are), when a TCU-BU Fox broadcast goes up against, say, Texas-Arkansas, and later OSU-TT goes up against TAMU-Auburn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, statsman said:

The first step will be seeing the ratings in Texas (where the B12 viewership numbers are), when a TCU-BU Fox broadcast goes up against, say, Texas-Arkansas, and later OSU-TT goes up against TAMU-Auburn. 

I'd wager the most watched Big 12 game in 2024 and beyond will be Utah/BYU

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

The truth hurts. 

garth-waynes-world-k-live-in.gif

This already happened.  We got paid a lot less than the Big 10 and the SEC.  You know, what we're actually worth.  Without Texas and OU.  This isn't some hypothetical.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

In fact, I believe it was squarely pointed at Aggy around a decade ago.

You're not even in the SEC yet and already going full Aggy. Lulz

You are implying that aggie & mizzou going to the SEC is the same thing as Texas & OU going to the SEC?!? They aren't the same.

With the Pac teams joining the B1G and Texas & OU joining the SEC, everything changes. There are only 2 power conferences next year. That may be upsetting to you, but it is the truth.

For years, CFB fans have been saying, "It would be great if we could have relegation like soccer in the UK." Well, we do. Iowa State, Okie Lite, Baylor, etc.......they have all been relegated. You can bitch & moan about the fairness of one garbage team surviving over another, but no one that matters cares.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

This already happened.  We got paid a lot less than the Big 10 and the SEC.  You know, what we're actually worth.  Without Texas and OU.  This isn't some hypothetical.

You seem pretty sure about that. 

ESPN got a benefit from UT and OU leaving. Mind telling me how much ESPN is paying the B12 vs how much Fox is paying the B12?

I haven’t been able to find the numbers. That’s why I think the real reckoning will be on the next contract. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, statsman said:

ESPN got a benefit from UT and OU leaving. Mind telling me how much ESPN is paying the B12 vs how much Fox is paying the B12?

I haven’t been able to find the numbers. That’s why I think the real reckoning will be on the next contract. 

I realize a few of you badly want that to happen, but all of the recent momentum suggests otherwise.  The Pac 12 died, the Big 12 added schools out west, and created separation on the basketball front from everyone else.  It's not going to be the SEC and Big 10, and we all get that.  It's not going to be the AAC or Mountain West either.  By having an entertaining football program that helps round out content packages, and being the premiere hoops league, the Big 12 carves out a niche in the landscape of college sports.

As long as we have enough money to pay coaches well, upgrade our facilities, and play enough of an NIL game to pull studs up from below or keep some good players around, we have what we need.  All indications are that will continue to exist.

The fact that some of you guys view the I8 fans being content with the arrangement as some form of chest puffing is absolutely wild to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think one question (to which we obviously can't have an answer until at least 2024) is to what degree the audience that has interest in Texas and OU has a secondary viewing interest in teams that are in a league with them. Does, e.g., a tOSU fan have more interest in watching Northwestern than he would Georgia Tech? The numbers for the B12 contract are based on, among other factors, viewership to date of the remnants. They do not account for the potential decline in secondary interest after the departures. This is one reason why some say that the next contract will be the one that establishes how the 12 can do longer term without Texas and OU.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I think one question (to which we obviously can't have an answer until at least 2024) is to what degree the audience that has interest in Texas and OU has a secondary viewing interest in teams that are in a league with them. Does, e.g., a tOSU fan have more interest in watching Northwestern than he would Georgia Tech? The numbers for the B12 contract are based on, among other factors, viewership to date of the remnants. They do not account for the potential decline in secondary interest after the departures. This is one reason why some say that the next contract will be the one that establishes how the 12 can do longer term without Texas and OU.

Well, that, and more importantly to this thread, there are about 4-5 posters in this thread that are emotionally invested in the Big 12 burning down in the wake of UT and OU leaving and are very much wishcasting to that end.  It doesn't really make sense to me, because Texas got what it wanted, but they just can't be ok with those schools being happy.

At the end of the day, college fans watch good games, when they aren't watching their teams.  I watched games out of nearly every league last year if the match up was compelling.  There are teams I find fun to watch in all of the other conferences, and ISU playing those teams isn't a big driver.  I'll watch a tight ACC game over TCU blowing out KU any day, for reasons that have nothing to do with the programs involved.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

There should be nothing but optimism for the leftover B12 and new additions. All are looking at a scenario in which they are in a setting where they no longer look down the schedule and see which historically was an automatic 2 losses to Texas and OU or USC and Oregon. It is wide-open and so they can all sit there and go "Why not me?" and squint their eyes and see themselves ascend into a dominant position in the new Big 12.  I am not sure that is actually true for all the members, but without Texas and OU, parity will reign supreme.

Now the question is that going to equate to actual viewership? Does TV make money off of solid average ratings with little major games or the same average with many more premium or major games? I am going to bet it is the later and in the long term we will continue to see a spread in the difference in payouts which will lead to less and less parity.

Where this is real interesting is not comparing the B12 to the SEC and B10 but instead the B12 to the ACC.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

There should be nothing but optimism for the leftover B12 and new additions. All are looking at a scenario in which they are in a setting where they no longer look down the schedule and see which historically was an automatic 2 losses to Texas and OU or USC and Oregon. It is wide-open and so they can all sit there and go "Why not me?" and squint their eyes and see themselves ascend into a dominant position in the new Big 12.  I am not sure that is actually true for all the members, but without Texas and OU, parity will reign supreme.

Now the question is that going to equate to actual viewership? Does TV make money off of solid average ratings with little major games or the same average with many more premium or major games? I am going to bet it is the later and in the long term we will continue to see a spread in the difference in payouts which will lead to less and less parity.

Where this is real interesting is not comparing the B12 to the SEC and B10 but instead the B12 to the ACC.

i think big12 is going to be the conference of chaos , and take over a lot of the late night crowd. I think its a solid recipe that will lead to interest, as well with the new and revived story lines. we'll see what happens, but i wouldn't surprised to see them thrive at the number 3 spot 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Zeus said:

Mitchell was a good player Georgia wanted to keep.

What you don't want as a transfer is someone who is a former 5 star or national 100 type that has been in a program multiple years and never cracked a depth chart or has sucked shit when given a chance.  Someone like Tommy Brockemeyer or Tony Grimes.

Earle and Brockemeyer aren't even going to start for TCU.

Going and getting a sunbelt all conference player usually will get you at least an average Big 12 starter, so that is a good move when they are replacing someone who is below average.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Well, that, and more importantly to this thread, there are about 4-5 posters in this thread that are emotionally invested in the Big 12 burning down in the wake of UT and OU leaving and are very much wishcasting to that end. 

I don't think anyone is emotionally invested in the Big 12 "burning down." I think many of us are tired of the left-behind schools crying about how much they are being screwed-over and then, often times in the same paragraph, trying to beat us over the head with how relevant the Big 12 will remain after this season.

I have no interest in FCS football. I would be mildly annoyed with anyone who posted here over and over and over and over again about the relevancy of FCS football. I think we are close to the B1G and SEC both going to 22 - 24 teams. Once that happens, the Big 12 will be as relevant to the FBS football national championship as FCS teams. I am just ready to put teams like Iowa State, Baylor & Okie Lite in our rearview mirror. I am ready for you to go away and accept your rightful place. Please try to do it with dignity.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

7 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

I don't think anyone is emotionally invested in the Big 12 "burning down." I think many of us are tired of the left-behind schools crying about how much they are being screwed-over and then, often times in the same paragraph, trying to beat us over the head with how relevant the Big 12 will remain after this season.

I have no interest in FCS football. I would be mildly annoyed with anyone who posted here over and over and over and over again about the relevancy of FCS football. I think we are close to the B1G and SEC both going to 22 - 24 teams. Once that happens, the Big 12 will be as relevant to the FBS football national championship as FCS teams. I am just ready to put teams like Iowa State, Baylor & Okie Lite in our rearview mirror. I am ready for you to go away and accept your rightful place. Please try to do it with dignity.

You're the fucking poster child for what I'm describing.  This post is dripping with your weird little fetish.

User name definitely checks out.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

i think big12 is going to be the conference of chaos , and take over a lot of the late night crowd. I think its a solid recipe that will lead to interest, as well with the new and revived story lines. we'll see what happens, but i wouldn't surprised to see them thrive at the number 3 spot 

Maybe fix the games a little to where every other game comes down to the last few plays... Kind of like what they've been doing for the past 5 years?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, statsman said:

I do not watch TAMUs, Auburns, or Arkansas games, so you can count me in for TCU-Baylor and Tech-OSU.

• Hook 'Em 4

The SEC games will be higher rated, hence the more valuable media contract. I really don't understand the binary concept that everyone will watch one game and nobody will watch the other. The top end SEC games will get lots of viewers, the top end Big XII games will get plenty of viewers. Pretty sure the guy who compared the new Big XII to FCS is doing a bit.

• Like 2

ESPN pays two thirds and Fox pays a third, of what is probably around a half billion dollar contract at this point.   Most of the top football properties go to the mouse and Fox picked up weekly basketball.   

And it was already turned to market.   Without movement the B12 was closer to the $50-55m a year number, now they're closer to $30-35m.   Their current contract is likely slightly undervalued due to 1) taking whatever you could in a terrible market.   As the Pac showed, it was a bad time to ask for more and 2) as it reads in press releases, the B12 is getting a portion of the value returned in marketing.   It cost them money, but it is a smart move in the long run.  The SEC has the product on the field over the past decade, but 20 years ago they were helped greatly by CBS pumping tons of marketing into their brand on a weekly basis.

The next contract, in 2031, will be reflective of how well they do in this new structure.

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

There are two things at play here that may actually balance out each other.    There is no doubt that Oklahoma and Texas have THE followings in the old Big 12, that's not really open for debate.   So most other schools see a bump in viewership when they play them.

However, outside winning, one of the things that grows audiences the fastest is where you play.   Texas and Oklahoma utterly dominated the T1 programming slots for the B12.   When people tried to do spreadsheets pulling out these games you found you couldn't really compare what was left.   If the B12 was on ABC or Fox, 80% of the time it was a team playing Texas or Oklahoma.

That's going to be a MAJOR change for the new B12.   They have interest, for instance TCU/ISU drew over 4m this last year in a blow out, the CCG not featuring Texas nor Oklahoma was only 10% behind the B1G/SEC, but double the ACC/PAC.   What ends up occuring when ESPN is not only featuring new teams on T1 outlets and marketing them more like the did the B1G when they had them is the wild card in all of this.

If the new B12 can get some post season success with multiple teams and put together really competitive games on T1 match ups, they'll get a boost in the next contract.   If they don't, they won't.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1