Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

33 minutes ago, statsman said:

I gave you my first neg rep ever. 

Four charter schools left around the same time. If you want to say UT drove them away by not being a good business partner, come out and say it, and spell out an example or two. Don’t just make allusions and act like that is proof. 

I thought they all left because they believed they were going to better conferences, better situations more money. If you believe differently, say why. 

This place, this site, is like the University of Texas in this way- it is very tolerant of assholes but not very tolerant of idiots. 

Your fealty is undoubtedly unmatched, as is your Surly acumen. May your neg be a permanent and unarguable testament to my inferiority in both, as well as my ignorance of early 2000's Big 12 internal politics.

I hang my head in shame and shall bear the mark for all time.

Didn’t this thread start (way back in the Shaggy days) as something like “Clemson to the SEC talk not going away”? Or something similar? I’m pretty sure I remember Clemson was the original subject before it became a more general “realignment” thread.

it’s hilarious that (probably) dozens of schools have changed conferences since this thread was started on Shaggy, and yet Clemson is still sitting in the ACC with its thumb up its ass.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Left Coast said:

Didn’t this thread start (way back in the Shaggy days) as something like “Clemson to the SEC talk not going away”? Or something similar? I’m pretty sure I remember Clemson was the original subject before it became a more general “realignment” thread.

it’s hilarious that (probably) dozens of schools have changed conferences since this thread was started on Shaggy, and yet Clemson is still sitting in the ACC with its thumb up its ass.

"Clemson and FSU to the B12 Talk Not Going Away"

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I print in all caps, so I’m kind of partial to Copperplate. Font choice aside, though, it feels like literally no one, at any level of any organization, knows for sure what’s going to happen. 

I read that as:

Clemson REALLY wants out.

Clemson is trying to get out.

But the SEC and Big 10 don't want to get involved until they decide to bite the bullet to get out of the ACC.

Nobody is going to extend them an offer for 2036, so its all just winks and nods at this point.  No outright assurances.

Lots of legwork to do to work out the deal to get out.

I just think there is enough smoke they will get out.  UT and OU's relatively small exit cost has to be encouraging.  The 3 year exit fee is absurd and is not a factor.  But they have to deal with the GOR AND get ESPN happy with them moving.

9 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I really think that if you’d been able to keep the old Big 12 working together, their next contract would have been on par what the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 10 were getting.

The money was better in those leagues when the 4 charters left, but if they hadn’t been so butt hurt, I think they could have gotten the league on much better financial ground.

This is undoubtedly true.   The only reason the Pac is the one to lose is it made its bad decisions last.   The B12 was riddled with terrible organizational decisions that cost it billions over the years and could have been the aggressor in realignment, but wasn't until it had to be.  Those four just had the first exit opportunities.

What are Clemson's TV numbers? I don't think they're a slam dunk to the SEC. Again the largest city in South Carolina is Charleston at at 151k. Slightly bigger than Denton and smaller than Killeen. No thank you. It's a small state that will never grow. So another Mississippi school. 

The SEC should be after UNC and Florida State.

Congrats Clemson. You found an attorney that can operate a control F search in pdfs. The sky is truly the limit. 

• Haha 1

Clemson’s popularity is spread through the whole region. I moved to Chapel Hill, NC in 2006 and even back then - pre-recent championships, pre-Dabo as HC - Clemson was easily the 4th most popular team in the area. Other than the obvious UNC/Duke/NC State fans, even back then I saw way more Clemson gear than any other school. It’s significantly increased in the years since Dabo’s been coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:44 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

What are Clemson's TV numbers? I don't think they're a slam dunk to the SEC. Again the largest city in South Carolina is Charleston at at 151k. Slightly bigger than Denton and smaller than Killeen. No thank you. It's a small state that will never grow. So another Mississippi school. 

Congrats Clemson. You found an attorney that can operate a control F search in pdfs. The sky is truly the limit. 

Well according to the Sic-em analysis (2013-2021), they were #10, right behind FSU.

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

Well according to the Sic-em analysis (2013-2021), they were #10, right behind FSU.

I think they’re already trending towards mediocrity and Dabo is the greatest coach in the history of the program. They’re a brand now, but I think their days are numbered. Dabo can’t keep up in the NIL Era. 

I think UNC is the real prize for the Big Ten in the South. 9th in population. Great academics in the Research Triangle. Good/improving recruiting grounds. Blue blood hoops. Gradually improving football program that’s probably just one good coach away. 

I think the Big Ten will head fake the SEC on taking Clemson when they really want UNC. I hope Sankey is smart enough to see it coming. FSU and UNC are the correct adds for the SEC. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I think they’re already trending towards mediocrity and Dabo is the greatest coach in the history of the program. They’re a brand now, but I think their days are numbered. Dabo can’t keep up in the NIL Era. 

I think UNC is the real prize for the Big Ten in the South. 9th in population. Great academics in the Research Triangle. Good/improving recruiting grounds. Blue blood hoops. Gradually improving football program that’s probably just one good coach away. 

I think the Big Ten will head fake the SEC on taking Clemson when they really want UNC. I hope Sankey is smart enough to see it coming. FSU and UNC are the correct adds for the SEC. 

FSU, Clemson, UNC, and UVA are the correct adds. That package would be very beneficial for a myriad of reasons and gets the SEC to a round 20.

Anything over that will be dilutive unless there is a shake up in college basketball (which I do see on the not too distant horizon) then schools like Kansas maybe Duke might have a shot but not before then.

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Most recent ACC title

Clemson 2022

Pitt 2021

FSU 2014

Virginia Tech 2010

Georgia Tech 2009

Wake Forest 2006

Maryland 2001

Virginia 1995

Duke 1989

North Carolina 1980

NCSU 1979

Among newer members, Miami and BC have been in ACC title game but don't have a title.  UL and Syracuse have not won.

North Carolina has had Mack Brown twice.  Whatever you think of him, he does have scoreboard.  He is 7th all time among major college coaches in wins, behind Paterno, Bowden, Bryant, Pop Warner, Saban and Amos Alonzo Stagg.

Kitties
Penn State (easter Mountain Lion) 
Northwestern (Wildcat)
Houston (Cougar)
Kansas State (Wildcats)
Kentucky (Wildcats)
Arizona (Wildcat)
BYU (Cougars)
Auburn (Tigers)
LSU (Tigers)
Missouri (Tigers)

Birds, Amphibians, Reptiles, and Bovine
Maryland (Testudo)
Florida (Gators)
TCU (Horned Frogs)
Iowa (Hawks)
Kansas (Jayhawks)
Texas (Longhorns)
Colorado (Buffalo) 
The Maryland/Florida/TCU makes for a neat trifecta. Those are the core. Fewer birds than you might expect, but maybe one day Illinois will join them. Colorado/Texas make for a pair.

Furry friends
Wisconsin (Badgers)
Minnesota (Gophers)
Michigan (Wolverines)
Baylor (Bear)
Georgia (Bulldogs)
Mississippi State (Bulldogs)
Cincinnati (Bearcats) - not a cat, apparently! 
So many critter teams - I decided to go with "fur" as a theme. Is a bearcat snuggleable? I dunno. But I bet a Mountaineer could make a jaunty hat out of it, so let's put em here. 

Jobs/Occupations
Purdue (Boilermakers)
Nebraska (Husker)
Indiana (Hoosiers)
Oklahoma (Sooner)
Oklahoma State (Cowboys)
WVU (Mountaineers)
Texas A&M (aggies, but also Reveille) 
People, its made of people. 

Warmongers
Vanderbilt (Commodores)
Tennessee (Volunteers)
Michigan State (Sparty)
Texas Tech (Red Raider)
UCF (Knights)
Ole Miss (Rebels)
One could argue some of the Jobs pod could be here, but we've got to have some balance. 

Other
Ohio State - Buckeyes
Illinois (formerly Illini, possibly belted kingfisher?)
Iowa State (Cyclone, but also Jack?)
Alabama (Crimson Tide, but also elephant)
Arizona State (Devils)
Utah (Utes)

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/09/27/pac-12-collapse-washington-president-says-500-million-counteroffer-to-espn-would-have-been-stupid-doubts-it-ever-happened/'

UW saying the $50 million story not correct.  Later in the story, Wilner says Klavicoff told them they should get $35-$43 million.

"...Instead, Cauce said the $50 million figure was discussed last year as a target for the total revenue distributions to the campuses — meaning it would have included payouts from the College Football Playoff, the NCAA Tournament and the media rights deal.

“In some models, it was possible for some schools to get $50 million,” Cauce told the Hotline in an interview earlier this month. “But at no time did anyone think we could all get $50 million in media rights. That would have been stupid.”

Cauce explained that after the announced departures of USC and UCLA (in June 2022), commissioner George Kliavkoff told the 10 remaining presidents that 30 percent of the conference’s media valuation “just walked out the door.”

“There was no scenario in which everybody thought the schools could bring in $50 million,” Cauce added. “The estimates from George were in the $30 millions to low $40 millions. Potentially, some (schools) could make $50 million with the (playoff) and media rights...."”

9 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Kitties
Penn State (easter Mountain Lion) 
Northwestern (Wildcat)
Houston (Cougar)
Kansas State (Wildcats)
Kentucky (Wildcats)
Arizona (Wildcat)
BYU (Cougars)
Auburn (Tigers)
LSU (Tigers)
Missouri (Tigers)

Birds, Amphibians, Reptiles, and Bovine
Maryland (Testudo)
Florida (Gators)
TCU (Horned Frogs)
Iowa (Hawks)
Kansas (Jayhawks)
Texas (Longhorns)
Colorado (Buffalo) 
The Maryland/Florida/TCU makes for a neat trifecta. Those are the core. Fewer birds than you might expect, but maybe one day Illinois will join them. Colorado/Texas make for a pair.

Furry friends
Wisconsin (Badgers)
Minnesota (Gophers)
Michigan (Wolverines)
Baylor (Bear)
Georgia (Bulldogs)
Mississippi State (Bulldogs)
Cincinnati (Bearcats) - not a cat, apparently! 
So many critter teams - I decided to go with "fur" as a theme. Is a bearcat snuggleable? I dunno. But I bet a Mountaineer could make a jaunty hat out of it, so let's put em here. 

Jobs/Occupations
Purdue (Boilermakers)
Nebraska (Husker)
Indiana (Hoosiers)
Oklahoma (Sooner)
Oklahoma State (Cowboys)
WVU (Mountaineers)
Texas A&M (aggies, but also Reveille) 
People, its made of people. 

Warmongers
Vanderbilt (Commodores)
Tennessee (Volunteers)
Michigan State (Sparty)
Texas Tech (Red Raider)
UCF (Knights)
Ole Miss (Rebels)
One could argue some of the Jobs pod could be here, but we've got to have some balance. 

Other
Ohio State - Buckeyes
Illinois (formerly Illini, possibly belted kingfisher?)
Iowa State (Cyclone, but also Jack?)
Alabama (Crimson Tide, but also elephant)
Arizona State (Devils)
Utah (Utes)

The warmonger division is almost tolerable. We are more bar brawl mongers. 

Neuheisel is saying he's hearing credible rumblings of Clemson heading to the SEC and the announcement may be coming very soon. He's not going to offer that up unless he's pretty confident in the source. 

Anybody here got anything around that? I didn't go back and look, but don't see anything fresh about it on this page.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Neuheisel is saying he's hearing credible rumblings of Clemson heading to the SEC and the announcement may be coming very soon. He's not going to offer that up unless he's pretty confident in the source. 

Anybody here got anything around that? I didn't go back and look, but don't see anything fresh about it on this page.

I still kinda don't buy it (at this stage in the game - I think it's an eventual likelihood) but IF this were true, one would assume FSU is right there as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

i know you like RIck.. but I'm not buying that either.. he was talking about how the Pac was going to get a much better deal than the Big12 a year ago too

55 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kind of sucks for SMU if Clemson and FSU bail.

I posted the local article about Clemson up thread. The only other thing I have heard was about two weeks ago when Larry Williams of Tigers Illustrated said that he expected an announcement about Clemson leaving the ACC to happen "in October".

With "In October" being pretty vague and the timeline being from a message board moderator, I decided not to post about it. However, it is something else that I have heard.

Edited by Jabberwocky

59 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

no it won't.. still better than where they are currently.. and ESPN is not folding the ACC..they are too invested in it

You don't think losing the two best football programs sucks for SMU?  It is still a good move.  It won't be as good as it was.

Especially when the ACC, who is chock full of shitty teams no one cares about, adds a couple more.

Recruits could be excited about FSU and Clemson coming to town (even though realistically it would not happen often).  Now what are they excited about?  Miami once every 10 years? 

25 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

You don't think losing the two best football programs sucks for SMU?  It is still a good move.  It won't be as good as it was.

Especially when the ACC, who is chock full of shitty teams no one cares about, adds a couple more.

Recruits could be excited about FSU and Clemson coming to town (even though realistically it would not happen often).  Now what are they excited about?  Miami once every 10 years? 

Do you think SMU expected that FSU and Clemson would be long for the ACC when they joined?

I think SMU knows that the most likely outcome is that the top 4 ACC brands are going to leave at the end of the GOR for the Big 10 and SEC, and that a few mid tiers may go to the Big 12.  

My assumption is that SMU is joining the ACC with the goal of building themselves up for a Big 12 invite when the bigger brands leave, or of the ACC still existing in a reduced form that has considerably better pay and playoff access than the AAC.  Either way, I can't imagine they had machinations of being partners with FSU and Clemson for very long.

On 9/30/2023 at 2:44 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Actually, Clemson is in the Greenville,SC MSA what is right under a million people. It's also the 37 largest media market in the US.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Some of the Clemson insider fan sites are saying they've been told something will happen in October, but I think it was the AD at Clemson said they had no offers so not to expect anything soon.

12 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with the others that there isn’t much out there yet and that this might be just wish casting by the Tiger fans.

But looking through some other boards, this is the most recent post on it from a quasi reputable source.

https://awfulannouncing.com/college-football/clemson-leave-acc-sooner-than-later.html

And saw this on YouTube (just discussion, no news)

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Gotta admit cincy /byu did better than I expected 

Yep, that’s why ESPN loves those off night games. You almost automatically get a million viewers just because nothing else is on and sports bars/gamblers/cfb junkies are going to have something on the TV.

• Hook 'Em 1