Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

8 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Time for Bowlsby to take out the big guns:

tenor.gif?itemid=15581650

Outstanding. I never even figured out what the fuck was going on with this bit besides Martin Short acting like a paranoid, prattling, chain-smoking lunatic, but it was so entertaining that we had it on tape and me and my brothers kept playing it over and over again.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

ESPN basically told Bob to put up or shut the fuck up.   Seriously, what bottom tier slap dick midwest law firm did Bowlsby engage to advise him sending that letter and talking to any reporter that would take your call was the right move.  It's embarrassing.

I honestly think that his behavior yesterday afternoon and evening was a byproduct of a bender that started early yesterday morning. It's insane.

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
The results of the vote are expected to be released at 4:00p CST.

Will the selection show be on ESPN or ESPN2?

I bet they lead off with OU and then Reece, Herbie, Desmond, and Heather 5head filibuster enough that our result aren't until 20 minutes and 3 commercial breaks in.

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Texas and OU are leaving and playing in SEC 2022. Their games will be broadcast by ESPN. 

The rest is just determining how much TX/OU/ESPN have to pay. And this becomes dynamic because ESPN currently owns 50% of Big 12 GOR. So will GOR contract allow a reduction in payment if members leave? (I believe it does). So IR8 reduced from 37.7 to 9 in 2022. (Total guess). So the IR8 thinks that they can force TX/OU to stay? They can’t. Force them to give them money from games broadcast in 2022-2025 (lawyers come in here). And pay a penalty (this is possible, but will be reduced because lawyers). All the while they expect to renegotiate with ESPN for better rights by adding new Big 12 members?

It could still be 2023.

It won't be 2025.

TV contract is paying $25-$27 million now.  The average over the whole contract was $20 million.  The rest of that money is from other sources that aren't directly affected.

So if they drop to $7 million a year (what the AAC is paying), that is 8X18 to 20 millionX3 years.  $432 to 480 million in losses.

Now if ESPN agrees to make them whole for 3 more years, then UT and OU forfeit $40 million each and are in the SEC in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm only posting the full letter because the casual "dear bob," at the beginning is so fucking funny to me.

E7fNAtIXMAMFZTN?format=png&name=medium

I love this even more because Burke looks like a wholesome dude. Imagine the nice kid on the playground just being like “enough, Bob.”

image.png.19261e40a2d00a913759d042af57ccac.png

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Perryman is a Baylor grad and absolute loon who gets called on by the locals to make shit up anytime there's something going on that may impact the Baylor/Waco economy. Ignore the fool. 

He does a lot of studies on the Texas economy.  He's not just a Waco guy.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

See, this is completely believable. It's the best long term move for the Pac-12 but there's a reason why that league is getting rapidly passed by the SEC and Big 10.

If they went Pac-16 right now with an eastern pod of Kansas (for basketball and academics), Iowa State, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech they would be in a much better long term position. They would be able to establish a Saturday night Pac-12 tradition with a game at 7:00 Eastern (best home game for that eastern pod) followed by a game at 10:30 Eastern on Fox and its channels.

Now I'm not saying this is a great solution for them, but there will be no more great solutions because Texas and Oklahoma are off the market now. This may be the best solution for them.

The Big 12-2-2+2 was even thinking they should take some less than satisfactory school because they were smaller than everyone else.  There's a disadvantage beyond financial when the B$G, $EC and ACC all have 14-15 members and you have only 10.  Pac 12 really should do something.  Unless TCU/Tech/OSU/KU really do bring nothing financially, they should pick up at least a couple.  

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This thread is quite the roller coaster - especially starting from yesterday when the Cease-and-Desist letter dropped.  A large group of them were convinced the FBI & DOJ would be involved and that ESPN execs were headed to prison - until one brave soul explained to them that tortious interference was not a criminal offence.  Now they're all convinced that they'll be receiving a billion dollar settlement from the Mouse. 

I legitimately feel bad for Iowa St - they seem like good people (as opposed to the human excrement down in Waco).

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/report-ou-texas-reach-out-to-join-sec.264289/page-196

Oh yeah, the thread about this on r/CFB on Reddit is utterly convinced that this is going to be the smoking gun that blows up ESPN.  Lots of Cyclone and (OSU) Cowboy fans posting in that thread, too.

I enjoy my share of Reddit, but r/CFB is pure cringe at times.

9 minutes ago, Octavian said:

I love this even more because Burke looks like a wholesome dude. Imagine the nice kid on the playground just being like “enough, Bob.”

image.png.19261e40a2d00a913759d042af57ccac.png

Dear Bob, we think so little of your little hissy fit, we didn't even see the need to retain outside counsel. In fact, your claims were so ridiculous, we did not even have our in-house staff attorneys respond. In fact, your claims were so in outer space, we picked the person who has nothing whatsoever to do with ANYTHING, our dude heading up Programming and Content, to say ... Piss off!

That's cold.

I love it.

18 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

Listening to the Texas Finebaum show. Joe from Houston is retarded.

Listening to Finebaum is like watching Olympic Judo. I don't know what is going on, and I can't understanding the people who are grunting and hollering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Is Baylor going to stop playing home games?  A sold out home game every other year isn't generating 100's of millions of dollars.

Especially since it's a day trip for probably > 90% of the people attending that game.

I never went to a game at Floyd Casey or whatever the fuck they call their new stadium now, but if I ever had the urge to do so when I lived in Texas, it would be drive into Waco, go to the game, then promptly get the fuck out of town again after it was over.

5 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Oh yeah, the thread about this on r/CFB on Reddit is utterly convinced that this is going to be the smoking gun that blows up ESPN.  Lots of Cyclone and (OSU) Cowboy fans posting in that thread, too.

Yep - the thread I posted has Cyclone fans convinced there is going to be hundreds of millions of dollars each from UT, OU, ESPN, and the AAC in judgements deposited into the ISU account.

3 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

Unless I'm missing some reporting. It seems like both the B1G and PAC aren't looking to expand, even though some are saying the race to super-conferences has begun. Even though TCU, Tech, and OSU won't add value right away, you'd think the PAC would want to bring at least 2 of them in. Maybe they are making a play for ND? If they could land that whale, they could ensure their future. I dont know, I dont understand it. I guess they are just not seeing the vvalue? Seems short sighted from my limited point of view.

The Pac has said they are kicking the tires.  And they are fine doing nothing as well.

10 minutes ago, orangebird said:

Where are the baylor posters? 

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yep - the thread I posted has Cyclone fans convinced there is going to be hundreds of millions of dollars each from UT, OU, ESPN, and the AAC in judgements deposited into the ISU account.

r/CFB is almost as bad as texags and secrant.  So many stupid people.

It's as if we don't already have numerous real world examples of universities exiting their conferences, and the significantly reduced penalties that come from it.  I guess they assume THIS time it's actually going to go to court.  My response to the B12?  Fuck around and find out.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not only that, they're going to overthrow ESPN and return college football to the masses.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, mdmost said:

ESPN returns fire

This is different from a typical response;  it's an overtly contemptuous, annoyed dismissal.  A smiting of a pest that is not even deserving of real anger.  

As 'ol Kenny Trill might say - ESPN slept dey Bob.

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

r/CFB is almost as bad as texags and secrant.  So many stupid people.

It's as if we don't already have numerous real world examples of universities exiting their conferences, and the significantly reduced penalties that come from it.  I guess they assume THIS time it's actually going to go to court.  My response to the B12?  Fuck around and find out.

SEC rant is full of the actual dumbest people I've ever seen. It's quite impressive but not surprising. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

How will you be invited if you can't reach out to the other conferences?

ESPN can't reach out.  The schools can.  And the conferences will have their TV consultants consult.  Just not ESPN and Fox consulting.