Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Academic profiles have a bearing in that have the potential to enhance brands and grow research dollars of member institutions. The B1G appears to attach the most value to academics. The Sec has improved its AAU profile dramatically, with 2 of its last three invitees helping in that effort. Only the naive among us don’t understand how academics will be used to widen the divide between the haves and have nots.

Seems like a stretch to me, but you all spend way more time analyzing this stuff than I do. I don't believe that OSU will ever be considered a 'have' no matter what they do or who is in the same conference as them. I'm just the naive among us though so I may be wrong.

If you’re doing academic profiles to better a conference for athletics you’re essentially being what the failed pac 12 is. No one in the networks care about what you rank academically 

for instance Stanford has huge fucking endowments and tons of donors but no one really gives two shits about their sports in their academic side. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

for instance Stanford has huge fucking endowments and tons of donors but no one really gives two shits about their sports in their academic side. 

Stanford actually has a pretty good sized following nationally especially for a private school.  Not USC/ND level but they are at the top of the next level. Per the 538 analysis I posted above, Stanford is tied #2 in the remaining PAC10 behind Oregon and tied with Utah as far as eyeballs are concerned.  In the Big 12 they’d be behind TCU/Okie St and tied with Baylor at #3.

Saying no one gives a shit about Stanford football is just wrong. They have a national following because they recruit nationally (students and athletes) and their graduates are more spread out across the country. Just because the Bay Area general populous doesn’t care and they don’t sell out their home games doesn’t mean they are bad for TV deals. You should view them to how most people view Miami and not how people view Wake Forest or Boston College.

45 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Stanford actually has a pretty good sized following nationally especially for a private school.  Not USC/ND level but they are at the top of the next level. Per the 538 analysis I posted above, Stanford is tied #2 in the remaining PAC10 behind Oregon and tied with Utah as far as eyeballs are concerned.  In the Big 12 they’d be behind TCU/Okie St and tied with Baylor at #3.

Saying no one gives a shit about Stanford football is just wrong. They have a national following because they recruit nationally (students and athletes) and their graduates are more spread out across the country. Just because the Bay Area general populous doesn’t care and they don’t sell out their home games doesn’t mean they are bad for TV deals. You should view them to how most people view Miami and not how people view Wake Forest or Boston College.

No one gives a shit about Stanford football. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think it will be interesting to see how FSU and Miami respond to UCF making $10 million+ more than them. Not sure if they even can do anything.

All the way to 2036 - or, at least, until the B1G (2030) & SEC (2034) contracts are up for renegotiation. Even then, if UT wasn't willing to pay the fees to leave a year or 2 early, I don't see any of the ACC schools jumping ship very early either. 

It's weird to think, but if the B1G agrees to a 6 year agreement in 2030 then they could have renegotiated their TV contract 4 times (2017, 2023, 2030, 2036ish?) before the ACC gets back to market. The B1G will be more than doubling the ACC yearly TV distribution during that time, we'll see what ESPN will pay the SEC with the addition of UT/OU & likely an extra conference game but it should get close to, if not pass, the $60mm/year mark to keep it close to the B1G before getting to take its entire media package to market in 2034, the Big 12 will be at 32ish/year until it renegotiates in 2031 (which is still 1/2 of the B1G), & the ACC will still be sitting there while the B1G TV contract ALONE will nearly double what it distributed this year. By that time, how much money is going to be left over for the ACC? Unless the Amazon/Apples of the world decide to really get into college sports streaming I don't see how the ACC manages to catch up with the B1G & SEC which means it's just a matter of time before the big boys of that conference get sick of being lapped by regional rivals & look for greener pastures.

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, closetohumping said:

Sounds like we lost and will be here at least till 2025.  That was our leverage right?

And for no reason at all.  None of the leftovers were going anywhere.

I thought our leverage was that all teams had to sign to open early talks and on to an expansion agreement. Someone here must know.

33 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He is trolling us

1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

They’re going to send us to fucking cougar high. Both of them. 

I figure the conference is going to have Oklahoma and Texas both play the 4 newcomers on the road the last two seasons.  Sort of a parting and welcoming gift all the same.

Lets face it; either of the two traveling to UCF is going to be a bigger draw for that school than say, oh, Iowa State.  Same with Houston; Texas showing up will be a sellout, but Kansas State rolling in, meh.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:01 AM, closetohumping said:

Sounds like we lost and will be here at least till 2025.  That was our leverage right?

And for no reason at all.  None of the leftovers were going anywhere.

Leverage against whom? The networks have said they want the move in 2025 so the buyout really doesn't matter. Most of us still think it'll be 2024 when USC/UCLA make their move and CBS gets BIG games. My guess is there is a clause somewhere in the new BXII media agreement for 2024, and the buyout should be significantly less at that point since it's only a year early (or the networks made it lower as part of the deal if that's really what they want). But again, the networks will say when they want the move to happen and will make it happen on their schedule. If they want to help with the buyout or demand it be lowered as part of the deal, they'll put it in the contracts.

Edited by 'stache

On 10/30/2022 at 10:59 AM, theaveragejon said:

What is the Big12 per year in the current deal? 

Its about $22m currently.   It will pay less in the first years and more in the later, most have a 4-5% yearly escalator for inflation.

On 10/30/2022 at 2:03 PM, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I'm seeing tweets about a pro rata clause in the contract for future expansion. That makes me think expansion won't cost the schools any money, but I guess you can't be sure until you see the actual contract.

Pro Rata - this is the amazing one if true:

Per The Athletic’s writeup of the contracts, both contain a pro rata clause in the event of the expansion.

A pro rata clause is expected to be included in the Big 12’s extension with its network partners, multiple conference sources said, which would aid the conference if it pursues additional members. Yormark said in July the Big 12 is “open for business” and exploring its expansion opportunities. The Athletic previously reported that the league has talked with six Pac-12 schools: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

The Dallas Morning News also confirmed the inclusion of the pro rata clause, noting the inclusion of a grant of rights agreement through the summer of 2031.

On 10/30/2022 at 4:14 PM, statsman said:

The six year deal averages $31.8M per year per school, whereas before they were about $24M per year per school? Questions-

1. Is there an inflation component? Does the payout go up each year, averaging $31.8M? 
2. What is the standalone value of the T3 content? About $3M per year, per school?

3. What is the planned distribution in the year(s) with 14 B12 teams (presumably the old contract)?

1 - Yes.  When they announce the averages, that's the middle, so in this case, year three.   At the beginning it will be about 15% less, at the end of the six, about 15% more.  The Big 12 was due a big raise before UT/OU left, what they seemed to have done here is maintained the same trajectory on a per team basis.   So if Oklahoma State was going to make $27m in 2025, if they kept the same yearly bump it would go to $30, $33, etc etc.   The big difference is multiply that by 12 instead of 8 or 10, so they didn't lose money by adding, they just didn't gain more value.  It would have been closer to $50m if Texas and Oklahoma had stayed.

2 - Jack Squat.  This reads like a very big exposure bump for the Big 12.  Fox has the worst picks and about 40% of the content and gets 2 games a week.  ESPN has the remaining 46 games, at least two a week will be linear, which leaves 20 games a season on ESPN+   The bigger component is Fox picking up basketball games, that's new. Only the Big Ten had a separate MBB agreement prior.

3 - This is the cleverness in the deal, they have the overlap for 2 years on the current agreement, then 6 years, which is basically extending the agreement with 12.  But, the way the bylaws read, the penalty for leaving the conference is 2 years of revenues.  That overlap allows the Big 12 to have all the 8 paid exactly as they'd budgeted, then pay all the new schools a half share, based off the revenues that would have gone to Texas and Oklahoma.  Buyout is clean, new teams make 2x more than they currently do for 2 years, then 4x more after.   Current teams stay on the same plan, and Texas and OU don't need to write any checks.

18 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I think it will be interesting to see how FSU and Miami respond to UCF making $10 million+ more than them. Not sure if they even can do anything.

I hadn't considered this, but it is likely going to be a bigger story once the rubber hits the road.   I saw one article that said the Big 12 skipping USF would create a $150m gap between the two schools over six years.   But, the Big 12 is going to be paid more than the ACC for the next six years and will return to market 5 years prior to the ACC's contract ending.   Not only will that allow UCF to invest over a decade to catch up, but could start to create some cracks in the foundation..

3 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Does the new Big 12 deal mean Texas and OU can leave any earlier?  That's really all I care about at this point.

No.  Fox wants one last Red River.    I guarantee you over the next two years whatever weekly pick Fox has will be Texas or Oklahoma vs literally anyone on Big Fox.

Edited by Hurtlocker

13 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

No.  Fox wants one last Red River.    I guarantee you over the next two years whatever weekly pick Fox has will be Texas or Oklahoma vs literally anyone on Big Fox.

Fox doesn't own a contract with Texas or OU.  They don't actually have a say.  It's clearly not in their best interests for Texas and OU to leave early, so they aren't going to swizzle any money to help us out, but they can't stop it either.  

As always, it's up to Texas and Oklahoma to negotiate their exit fees, and they'll make the move when the money is right.  Hopefully that's before 2025.  Since it's too late to make the move now and we're stuck in 2023, playing that as the last football season in the B12, makes the most sense for both schools.  

25 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Fox doesn't own a contract with Texas or OU.  They don't actually have a say.  It's clearly not in their best interests for Texas and OU to leave early, so they aren't going to swizzle any money to help us out, but they can't stop it either.  

As always, it's up to Texas and Oklahoma to negotiate their exit fees, and they'll make the move when the money is right.  Hopefully that's before 2025.  Since it's too late to make the move now and we're stuck in 2023, playing that as the last football season in the B12, makes the most sense for both schools.  

Fox owns half the contract with the Big 12, which is where Texas and Oklahoma's rights through 2025 currently reside.   They alternate picks with ESPN on a weekly basis.   With two years remaining ESPN will get the Red River once and Fox will get it once.   It's not giving up that game for free and the Big 12 isn't planning to lose money in the next two years.   So that means someone is writing a check.   As long as everyone wants Fox writing it, which seems to be the way it is playing out, then they have a very big say.

Remember as well, there are two sets of exit dollars that need negotiated: The Grant of Rights and the Conference Exit Fees.   

The Conference fees are 2 years of revenue, basically the value of the last two years the school is in the conference.   This could be negotiated down, sure, but basically will work one of two ways:

• The Big 12 will withhold 2 years of revenue or
  • The exiting school will write a check for the negotiated value of those two years.

Unless the check has been sent in now, the Big 12 won't be sending any revenues for the next two years regardless because the announcement has been made.  Guarantee you Texas and Oklahoma have budgeted for that.

The Grant of Rights is a bit trickier and is where you get Fox involved again.   At the moment Texas and Oklahoma don't own their own rights.   They can't do anything with them and they have zero leverage in getting them back.   If they left for the SEC tomorrow ESPN couldn't broadcast their home games without the Big 12's approval (except the one game that drops to T3, but that is determined by what broadcast partners don't want) and, if they had the approval, all of the money involved in that game would go to the Big 12, not the SEC.   As the bylaws are written, the schools are not even entitled to that money if they leave as part of their agreement of signing the bylaws and GoR.

So, again, could they negotiate it out?   Of course, but in this case the negotiation will start with the Big 12 not wanting to lose money, and Fox telling them how much it will cost, and then that's what ESPN will need to fork over just to bring the games in early.   Oh, and the buyout would be on top of whatever was paid out if revenue was being withheld for this.   GoRs are tough.  Do you think the Mouse would love to have Spiderman back?   They would and they have far more to spend on lawyers than universities - but Marvel signed a GoR.   So they're going to spend more now, to get Texas and OU early, when they already pay for Texas and OU?  

It's a mess and, more importantly, a mess that has a super simple, non-messy, no legal fees or court time solution.   Just wait two years - the GoR goes away magically on its own.   

The powers that be know no one will remember in a decade so its not worth the hassle.

Edited by Hurtlocker
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:24 AM, Not a Sock said:

Looks like the Big 12 struck as deal for 31 million majority with ESPN, looks like we should know our exit time pretty soon.

From the article:

"...When Yormark took the Big 12’s reins on Aug. 1, he hired media consultants at Endeavor and IMG Media to assist in negotiating extensions and the Big 12’s fortunes rebounded when they were able to reach an agreement in recent days that will see a 72.7% increase in the average annual value of its current deal, which started in 2012. The difference between the rights fee ESPN and Fox will pay from the last year of the old deal in 2024-25 and the first year of the new deal in 2025-26 is much more modest.

In striking these deals prior to the exclusive negotiating window with ESPN and Fox, the Big 12 managed to achieve several of its primary objectives, namely stability and security, the ability to go back to its 12 member schools to seek an extended grant of rights and a leg up on any future conference expansion. The conference also likes the idea that the shorter six-year deal that runs through 2031 means that the Big 12 will be back in the market ahead of both the SEC, whose deal with ESPN goes through 2034, and the ACC, whose ESPN deal expires in 2036...."

23 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Mandel was cheerfully writing the Big 12's eulogy after the Texas/Oklahoma to SEC news broke and would have been happier than a pig in shit if the Pac 12 finished off the Big 12 by poaching Oklahoma State and Texas Tech around that time while leaving the rest of the Big 12 dead in a ditch.  I don't remember much talk of "strength in numbers" and regret over the least desirable Big 12 teams getting relegated to a midmajor conference when it looked like the Pac 12 could kill the Big 12.  Now that the tables have turned he thinks this competition is stupid and wants the Big 12 leftovers and the Pac 12 leftovers to sit around the campfire singing Kumbaya and jerking each other off, no more of this mean poaching business.  He's normally a pretty good CFB writer but he is unbearable on this topic.

What would be stupid is for the Big 12, who clearly has the upper hand, to take on all of the Pac 12's deadweight and baggage when they're in an excellent position to cherry pick only the best available programs and let the others fall to the MWC.  Not the Big 12's problem to worry about or subsidize Oregon State and Washington State and Cal, just like it wasn't the Pac 12's problem to worry about or subsidize Kansas State and Baylor and Iowa State in August 2021.

Last summer he was talking about the nBig 12 being lucky to get $12 million. 

Canzano, chief P10 cheerleader, is admitting in his latest puff piece that the experts are estimating $27-$29 million for the Pac.  That supports the rumors that ESPN offered them $24 million/school in the exclusive negotiating period. 

22 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

No, its because they had among the top 10 winning %s from 2010-2019.  They are reverting back to 2000-2009 when they were #92 and nobody cared.  They are BC that had a good decade.

5 hours ago, hook me said:

All the way to 2036 - or, at least, until the B1G (2030) & SEC (2034) contracts are up for renegotiation. Even then, if UT wasn't willing to pay the fees to leave a year or 2 early, I don't see any of the ACC schools jumping ship very early either. 

It's weird to think, but if the B1G agrees to a 6 year agreement in 2030 then they could have renegotiated their TV contract 4 times (2017, 2023, 2030, 2036ish?) before the ACC gets back to market. The B1G will be more than doubling the ACC yearly TV distribution during that time, we'll see what ESPN will pay the SEC with the addition of UT/OU & likely an extra conference game but it should get close to, if not pass, the $60mm/year mark to keep it close to the B1G before getting to take its entire media package to market in 2034, the Big 12 will be at 32ish/year until it renegotiates in 2031 (which is still 1/2 of the B1G), & the ACC will still be sitting there while the B1G TV contract ALONE will nearly double what it distributed this year. By that time, how much money is going to be left over for the ACC? Unless the Amazon/Apples of the world decide to really get into college sports streaming I don't see how the ACC manages to catch up with the B1G & SEC which means it's just a matter of time before the big boys of that conference get sick of being lapped by regional rivals & look for greener pastures.

Look at the Big 12.  Their deal was $22 million average starting in 2012.  They lost 50% of their value with the loss of UT and OU.  So they are going from roughly $11 million value to $31.7 million, almost tripling.  But the ACC locked themselves in and with expansion and ND, have only increased the original $13 million/school to $18 million average.

5 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Fox owns half the contract with the Big 12, which is where Texas and Oklahoma's rights through 2025 currently reside.   They alternate picks with ESPN on a weekly basis.   With two years remaining ESPN will get the Red River once and Fox will get it once.   It's not giving up that game for free and the Big 12 isn't planning to lose money in the next two years.   So that means someone is writing a check.   As long as everyone wants Fox writing it, which seems to be the way it is playing out, then they have a very big say.

Remember as well, there are two sets of exit dollars that need negotiated: The Grant of Rights and the Conference Exit Fees.   

The Conference fees are 2 years of revenue, basically the value of the last two years the school is in the conference.   This could be negotiated down, sure, but basically will work one of two ways:

• The Big 12 will withhold 2 years of revenue or
  • The exiting school will write a check for the negotiated value of those two years.

Unless the check has been sent in now, the Big 12 won't be sending any revenues for the next two years regardless because the announcement has been made.  Guarantee you Texas and Oklahoma have budgeted for that.

The Grant of Rights is a bit trickier and is where you get Fox involved again.   At the moment Texas and Oklahoma don't own their own rights.   They can't do anything with them and they have zero leverage in getting them back.   If they left for the SEC tomorrow ESPN couldn't broadcast their home games without the Big 12's approval (except the one game that drops to T3, but that is determined by what broadcast partners don't want) and, if they had the approval, all of the money involved in that game would go to the Big 12, not the SEC.   As the bylaws are written, the schools are not even entitled to that money if they leave as part of their agreement of signing the bylaws and GoR.

So, again, could they negotiate it out?   Of course, but in this case the negotiation will start with the Big 12 not wanting to lose money, and Fox telling them how much it will cost, and then that's what ESPN will need to fork over just to bring the games in early.   Oh, and the buyout would be on top of whatever was paid out if revenue was being withheld for this.   GoRs are tough.  Do you think the Mouse would love to have Spiderman back?   They would and they have far more to spend on lawyers than universities - but Marvel signed a GoR.   So they're going to spend more now, to get Texas and OU early, when they already pay for Texas and OU?  

It's a mess and, more importantly, a mess that has a super simple, non-messy, no legal fees or court time solution.   Just wait two years - the GoR goes away magically on its own.   

The powers that be know no one will remember in a decade so its not worth the hassle.

Everyone  knows all of this.

And yet, Texas does not have a contract with Fox and owes Fox nothing.  Texas owes the B12-- exactly whatever is negotiated and nothing more and nothing less.

Another two years of getting bent over by B12 refs and B12 scheduling shennaningans is certainly a factor in the decision.  The potential for damaging and stalling out a relatively new coaching staff and destroying potential momentum in recruiting is certainly a factor.  Football pays the bills.  A moribund football program, while entering a new conference, is a tremendous risk. 

I'm pointing out that there is much more to the risk calculation, than whatever is convenient for Fox.  

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Trolling most likely, but a really shitty Big 12 future schedule could be the push Texas needs to get the f*** out of this dogshit conference. 

Wait let me guess, something like

@ Iowa State
@ KSU
OU (Dallas)
@ Tech
Oklahoma State
@ BYU
@ WVU
@ UCF
Houston

lmao

"Oh sorry, it just worked out Texas only 2 gets home games and the RRR in Dallas. Sorry!" 

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wait let me guess, something like

@ Iowa State
@ KSU
OU (Dallas)
@ Tech
Oklahoma State
@ BYU
@ WVU
@ UCF
Houston

lmao

"Oh sorry, it just worked out Texas only 2 gets home games and the RRR in Dallas. Sorry!" 

It'd give Sark a chance to improve his away record.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm assuming there are rules in the bylaws that each team has to have as many home games as away games every two years.  Obviously OU counts as one of our home games every other year, but in a 9-game schedule they couldn't really give us only 3 home games... right?

Edited by utee94

On 10/30/2022 at 3:02 PM, mdmost said:

I think the Big 12 shouldn't add anyone outside of Oregon and Washington. You need good football schools and Cal, Arizona, Stanford, Arizona State, and Colorado are not that. You could bring Utah but you got the nutjob version of Utah in BYU. Bringing any of those other schools to the Big 12 is just diluting your product and lowering the cache of your conference. 

They should've punted BYU (and most others) the moment the UCLA/USC news broke....   Utah, Washington, Oregon, Stanford (for the ND game and a CA presence/recruiting), UFC and  Cinci (FL-OH presence/recruiting). 

It would be the clear cut 3rd best conference for TV money.  Which might've caused Armageddon, by making FSU/Clemson nervous of the P5 being more of a P2 +1   +2 tag along conferences for poaching later if needed.

• Fuck You 1

On 10/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Okie State said:
On 10/30/2022 at 3:28 PM, TKthunder2 said:
It is mainly their market, academics, and other sports more so than fb. These decisions are not 100% made by TV executives, they are made by university presidents who would give up $5-10 million a year to be able to run elbows with the West Coast Ivy level universities.
Does that matter to the Big 12? Generally I’d say no, but if the choice is SDSU or Stanford, I think you take Stanford every time.

Yeah I agree with that. I just have a hard time believing academics play much of a role. Everyone will look down on OSU academics regardless of whether or not we're in the same conference as Stanford. It is what it is.

As much history Stanford has for shunning the Big 12)Texas schools, they would likely close down the school and all commit mass suicide before running to the big 12

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I figure the conference is going to have Oklahoma and Texas both play the 4 newcomers on the road the last two seasons.  Sort of a parting and welcoming gift all the same.

Lets face it; either of the two traveling to UCF is going to be a bigger draw for that school than say, oh, Iowa State.  Same with Houston; Texas showing up will be a sellout, but Kansas State rolling in, meh.

And that sums up the issue with the new Big 12 after we leave....   After the shine wears off in a couple of years, so does the fan interest.

2 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

And that sums up the issue with the new Big 12 after we leave....   After the shine wears off in a couple of years, so does the fan interest.

I don't know.  I think it will be more interesting than any PAC-minus-USC-UCLA matchups.  And it's also more interesting than any ACC matchups excluding Clemson (for as long as Clemson remains competitive).  

• Hook 'Em 1

Worrying about the Big 12 fucking with the number of home games you'll have the next couple years is just paranoia.  They're not going to do anything that would give Texas or Oklahoma cause to argue in court they should be allowed to leave early without penalties due to the conference having a materially harmful impact on their revenue, like giving you only 3 conference home games.  You may not like where your road games are located, and you may not like how they're scheduled such as playing a night game at BYU the week before Thanksgiving, but you will get all the home games you're owed and all the revenue that comes with them  Also, keep in mind that other schools sell recruits on playing games in Austin and Norman so there is additional motivation for other Big 12 schools to request road games vs Texas and Oklahoma before you leave.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2022/10/31.aspx

• "...ESPN and Amazon Prime remain the front runners to pick up Pac-12 rights, with agreements potentially coming by the end of the year. It’s too early to describe what’s in those packages with any accuracy. But it’s important to note that ESPN’s Big 12 deal does not take it out of the running for Pac-12 rights. And Amazon still wants a package of college football games that can complement its Thursday night package of NFL games....
  • The big question will come down to price. Media companies believe the Big 12 deal set the market. The Pac-12 still is aiming higher. Keep in mind, the Pac-12 will have fewer schools -- 10 instead of 12 -- after USC and UCLA depart for the Big Ten. That’s two fewer mouths to feed. ESPN took pains to make sure that its Big 12 deal would not result in a bigger per-school payout than the ACC. Because of the ACC Network, it’s difficult to determine how much ACC schools make from its ESPN deal. But I was told that the Big 12 will not eclipse the ACC on that front at any point in its deal, which runs through 2030-31. ESPN is likely to approach Pac-12 negotiations in a similar way...."

So ESPN trying to avoid irritating FSU and Clemson by paying UCF more than them.

20 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

I hadn't considered this, but it is likely going to be a bigger story once the rubber hits the road.   I saw one article that said the Big 12 skipping USF would create a $150m gap between the two schools over six years.   But, the Big 12 is going to be paid more than the ACC for the next six years and will return to market 5 years prior to the ACC's contract ending.   Not only will that allow UCF to invest over a decade to catch up, but could start to create some cracks in the foundation..

UFC is sitting in a killer spot. Huge enrollment,  Miami down longer than us, in the middle of little more like bigger Cuba, whom love to support local teams when they are doing good. Something they could easily do in the BIG 12 with the B12's best seat in the FL recruiting house and an open recruiting trail into Texas where they will play multiple games a year now as a P5 school.   Ten mill more a year over the ACC teams (plus the influx of another 12+ mill more a year than they're used to having from a P5's TV miney),  in it's area will go along way towards keeping Miami right down there with corn aggy where it belongs, and closing the gap/pressuring FSU for the #2 spot in Florida.  

Cinci won't challenge OSU,  it will snag some recruits from IL, IN, IA, etc. that would've gone to the BIG 10 smaller schools.  It will however put a hurt on several ACC schools in recruiting.  Especially since (like UFC) it's had relevant seasonS since Hitler invaded Poland. It's seen major bowl, BCS, and the playoffs.(unlike us... OU still sucks either way).  

22 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

UFC is sitting in a killer spot. Huge enrollment,  Miami down longer than us, in the middle of little more like bigger Cuba, whom love to support local teams when they are doing good. Something they could easily do in the BIG 12 with the B12's best seat in the FL recruiting house and an open recruiting trail into Texas where they will play multiple games a year now as a P5 school.   Ten mill more a year over the ACC teams (plus the influx of another 12+ mill more a year than they're used to having from a P5's TV miney),  in it's area will go along way towards keeping Miami right down there with corn aggy where it belongs, and closing the gap/pressuring FSU for the #2 spot in Florida.  

Cinci won't challenge OSU,  it will snag some recruits from IL, IN, IA, etc. that would've gone to the BIG 10 smaller schools.  It will however put a hurt on several ACC schools in recruiting.  Especially since (like UFC) it's had relevant seasonS since Hitler invaded Poland. It's seen major bowl, BCS, and the playoffs.(unlike us... OU still sucks either way).  

This would be an incredibly interesting move & very forward thinking. I couldn't imagine the number of personal foul penalties they incur. Wonder if ESPN can get Rogan to be their color commentary. 

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm assuming there are rules in the bylaws that each team has to have as many home games as away games every two years.  Obviously OU counts as one of our home games every other year, but in a 9-game schedule they couldn't really give us only 3 home games... right?

I would be surprised if the schedule came out with no home games our last year just to see if they could make it fly, before finally saying it was an oops, but can you please go with it? It's too late to fix now....  Either way...  The flags are going to fly like tortillas and batteries in Lubbock, whether we are home or away.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I don't know.  I think it will be more interesting than any PAC-minus-USC-UCLA matchups.  And it's also more interesting than any ACC matchups excluding Clemson (for as long as Clemson remains competitive).  

I totally agree....   Amazon is in for a surprise when their Saturday sports viewership net profits doesn't cover the lawyer fees used to draw it up....   If there was anything of value, ESPN, APPLE, AT&T, FOX, NBC, CBS,  mamma's basement dweller, would put up some resistance without letting it go below value.

I do find it interesting (if reports are right) that they are keeping the Big 12's contract on par with the ACC money. Something tells me they have a plan for a couple of the ACC schools once their contract gets closer to it's end...

The BIG is probably looking closely at the markets West- Oregon_Washington?  

And the SEC is likely looking at North Carolina and maybe the Virginia markets?  Or possibly one of those with an Arizona school as plan B? Then they could push Clemson and FSU (and others like GT, VT)  towards the Big 12 where they would be a better FB fit? Maybe merger?  Then they would have the working pieces and markets to make the now ACCNET into a strong network that would be a lot closer to the money the SECNET generates then it does now.   Granted it would still be short of the BTN and the SCN, but still respectable that would make those schools happy.