Frazier

tx 3 putt

The best of Niles....

"Who else is going to teach him to catch a football ball?"

"Maris is unable to have pets. She distrusts anything that loves her unconditionally."

"The only things we Crane boys are skilled at catching are sarcastic nuances and the occasional virus"

"This lunch is a culinary Hindenburg!"

"After the year I've had, I need something to restore my pride, my dignity, my manhood. The Golden Apron could do that."

"Pigeons - I don't like like pigeons. They have no respect for public art."

"No more Nurse's Office. I spent many a happy gym class there."

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Can’t you edit subject headers?
”The Ski Lodge” is one of the best episodes of television ever made.

No doubt. It is sketch comedy perfection. Flawless writing, acting, timing.

I love this show and we binge thru it every few years. The dead seal episode is great as well.

I read an article perhaps 25 years ago in which one of the creators (who was gay) knew there was plenty of comedy gold to be mined from a persnickety, bickering gay couple, but he suspected it would be next to impossible to get on the air. So he took those concepts to the Crane Bros., and the result was the most decorated comedy in TV history (37 Emmy wins). 

Love the show - recently binged the entire series with my kiddo. Was mentioning in the Hacks thread how great Jean Smart was in her recurring role (won a couple Emmys I think).

The Niles/Daphne storyline is one of the great slow-play story lines ever. Really glad they had the patience to let that play out the way they did.

Team Lilith! Can’t believe Niles hit that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frasier was easily my second favorite 90s sitcom behind Seinfeld and one of my favorites overall. Easily the best spinoff of a previous sitcom. The great thing about the show is that you didn't have to watch Cheers and know the character of Frasier Crane to enjoy this show...it stood on its own. The writing was top notch.

Casting of course was spot on. Couple that with some of the incredible guest performances (too numerous to name) and I don't think there was a better cast show on television. (Not to mention the guest callers!). Of course a great show had to have a Longhorn in it (Lifetime Longhorn Peri Gilpin!)

Although the Cheers ties were there, I like the fact that the show limited appearances by the Cheers regulars (Sam, Diane, Woody, the rest of the bar sans Rebecca Howe). Lilith obviously had to be a regular but they were very smart with the episodes and rarely had her character on more than one episode per season. The Lilith episodes were mostly great-the Tahiti adventures, the Thanksgiving episode, and her sleeping with Niles were at the top of the list.

Season 2 was when the show really took off in my opinion. "The Matchmaker" and the 3 episode run of "An Affair to Forget", "Agents in America, Part III", and "The Innkeepers" are some of the best of the entire series.

Seasons 4-7 are probably the peak of the show, especially as they bring the Daphne/Niles story to its logical conclusion. After that, the show lost some of the humor elements in Seasons 8-11 (and some of the viewers) as it missed the tension between Niles and Daphne. Dont get me wrong, there were some great episodes in those seasons, but it didn't crackle as much as Seasons 4-7.

The series ending arc was good as well. The last episode did a nice job wrapping up some storylines but also was a bit of a surprise at the end. Nothing tops the Newhart finale in my mind which was the best surprise ending, but this one was good and obviously left open the possibility of a revival down the road. Yes, I know one has been greenlight 20 years later and it would be interesting to see how they play off of the series ending.

Cheers (pun intended) to a great show!!

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, PencilPusher said:

Season 2 was when the show really took off in my opinion. "The Matchmaker" and the 3 episode run of "An Affair to Forget", "Agents in America, Part III", and "The Innkeepers" are some of the best of the entire series.

Seasons 4-7 are probably the peak of the show, especially as they bring the Daphne/Niles story to its logical conclusion. After that, the show lost some of the humor elements in Seasons 8-11 (and some of the viewers) as it missed the tension between Niles and Daphne. Dont get me wrong, there were some great episodes in those seasons, but it didn't crackle as much as Seasons 4-7.

The series ending arc was good as well. The last episode did a nice job wrapping up some storylines but also was a bit of a surprise at the end. Nothing tops the Newhart finale in my mind which was the best surprise ending, but this one was good and obviously left open the possibility of a revival down the road. Yes, I know one has been greenlight 20 years later and it would be interesting to see how they play off of the series ending.

american psycho GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Delete thread, ban OP for the following: 

1) Misspelling Frasier.

2) Suggesting we watch episodes on cable. Every season is available commercial free on Hulu. Same goes for Cheers. 

You must be one of them rich boys with the ad free version, because Hulu stuffs their shit with tons of commercials for us poors.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I read an article perhaps 25 years ago in which one of the creators (who was gay) knew there was plenty of comedy gold to be mined from a persnickety, bickering gay couple, but he suspected it would be next to impossible to get on the air. So he took those concepts to the Crane Bros., and the result was the most decorated comedy in TV history (37 Emmy wins). 

This makes sense. While Cheers was winding down, Kelsey Grammer was getting movie offers, so he had leverage when NBC started discussing spinoff ideas with him. He told them that he felt the Frasier-Lilith storyline had ran its course, so they came back to him with the idea of him having traditional marriage type comedy with a brother character. 

10 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

The two main episodes where they play off the "Is Frasier gay?" trope are two of the funniest.

The Matchmaker "So this Maris guy Niles kept talking about is a woman? Well, the jury's still out on that" and The Doctor is Out where Patrick Stewart had one of the best cameos in the series. "The view? Breathtaking. The art? Perfect. The chair? Hilarious!"

4 hours ago, PencilPusher said:

Frasier was easily my second favorite 90s sitcom behind Seinfeld

When I was younger that was the case. But now I find I like watching the Frasier episodes more. Seinfeld was more in your face and as a 16/17 yr old I got all the references and innuendo. For Frasier it's more subtle and I pick up a lot on more things now than I did back then. 

They both had awesome call backs in the finale though. Seinfeld's last scene in the cell Jerry talks to George about the top button on his shirt which was the exact same conversation he had with George at the beginning of the pilot.  On Frasier they got the same actor to play the moving guy who moves Martin's chair out as the one who moved it in at the beginning of the series. 

Also, Frasier is the only time I've ever seen Brian Callen be funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Awesome show, one of my favorites.

Dad of Frederick's spelling bee opponent: Come along son, we won't have to worry about him in the future.  He'll be going to a public school.

Niles:  How dare you!?!?!?

Haven't seen a mention of the Daphne/Niles dynamic.  Hilarious, especially when Frederic was interjected.

Edited by closetohumping

Fuck yeah.

Someone up-thread said Frasier was their second-favorite 90s sitcom after Seinfeld... same here.

Brilliant writing and BRILLIANT casting with David Hyde Pierce as Niles and the late, great John Mahoney as Martin. I remember when I first started watching the show, I was like, "the asshole Dad from Say Anything is their Dad?!..." but what an amazing character he turned out to be.

I always remember the opening when Niles causes a fire that is only set to music... no dialog... what a tour de force of physical humor by David Hyde Pierce and expert direction by Kelsey Grammer:

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Binging this on Hulu (no-ads, guess that makes me a Surly 1%'er) at night.  David Hyde Pierce was made for Niles.  

Episode last night was from season 7 where Niles sinks a half court shot at a Sonics game.  He wins a Dodge Ram.  Afterwards he mentions to Frasier it would be perfect for antiquing... 

He and Bebe  are in 'Julia' on HBO Max.  They still spar.  Bebe has aged well in my opinion.

• Hook 'Em 1

Binging this on Hulu (no-ads, guess that makes me a Surly 1%'er) at night.  David Hyde Pierce was made for Niles.  
Episode last night was from season 7 where Niles sinks a half court shot at a Sonics game.  He wins a Dodge Ram.  Afterwards he mentions to Frasier it would be perfect for antiquing... 
He and Bebe  are in 'Julia' on HBO Max.  They still spar.  Bebe has aged well in my opinion.

So many classic scenes and episodes.

Bebe Neuwirth is great looking in Julia. I wish these other actresses who butcher their faces with surgery and injections would just age gracefully and naturally. Bebe has it going.
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:11 AM, BonzoMontreaux said:

When Bebe was on Cheers, I didn't get it.  Turns out she's far hotter than Shelly Long and Kirstie Alley.

When Bebe was on Cheers, I didn't get it.  Turns out she's far hotter than Shelly Long and Kirstie Alley.

The rest of the world to Frasier when she let her hair down in Cheers. “Same”.

I’m going to kiss you….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro