The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

19 hours ago, troph said:

if a wakesurf boat becomes illegal for the wake then the big boats should be too, same or worse. it ain't gonna happen. if anything they will need to start enforcing the no wake zones and ain't nobody got time for that.

Not saying the boat should be illegal, but over-ballasting and throwing a 6' wake behind your boat on a crowded summer weekend is dickish and should be illegal.  Creating issues for lakefront properties, other boaters so you can blast crappy music and surf behind your boat for 50 feet before you fall and have to get picked up...

Lake Austin doesn't have the big boys running around, just a bunch of surf boats making it damn near impossible to enjoy the lake on any other boats.  And when your wake is nailing boats loading on a trailer or a boat hoisted out of the water, then 🖕...

Now I'm starting to see people on foil boards (not sure correct name) 20-30 feet behind and 10-20 feet to the side of the wake boats.

Had to come to a stop while pulling my kid on a wakeboard the other day as 2 boats were parked on the left side of the lake and wake/foil took up the entire right side of the lake.

lake austin is a cluster fuck in many ways. y'all need a good recession to clear out the yahoos. I think clear restrictions on lake austin make sense and more no wake zones and consistent enforcement are a no brainer. no wake means no wake. as in none, not just smaller or not as big as a wake boat, none, zilch, nada.  it won't happen on lake austin, but there are plenty of spots on lake austin that the whole damn area could be argued for no enhanced wakes.

lake travis is a different issue all together. there is usually enough water to avoid each other and to mitigate the concerns of a wake boat. it's my home lake, I'm on it all the time, it's not as big of an issue but the same applies, no wake zones need to be respected and enforced.  recently the no wake zones were expanded, no problem. 

but a straight up regulation on size of a wake on texas lakes - that's BS.

Edited by troph

6 minutes ago, troph said:

but a straight up regulation on size of a wake on texas lakes - that's BS.

https://brazos.org/About-Us/News/Current-News/ArticleID/2073#:~:text=Per Texas law%2C it is unlawful for anyone to%3A&text=Operate a personal watercraft and,vessel recklessly or unnecessarily close.&text=Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.&text=Operate within designated "no wake,creating a swell or wake.

It's Texas Law

Per Texas law, it is unlawful for anyone to:

•    Operate a personal watercraft and jump the wake of another vessel recklessly or unnecessarily close.
•    Operate so as to cause a hazardous wake or wash.
•    Operate within designated "no wake" areas except at headway speed without creating a swell or wake.

EDIT: https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/boating/operation-of-your-boat

Again, hazardous wake or wash is a judgement call, but when you cause damage to another boat or property due to your wake, that, in my eyes, is the epitome of dangerous wake.

Edited by PvilleStang

most of the wake issues are a nuisance for sure, but liability for a single boat causing damage to property or another boat simply because of a surfboat wake (or a yacht wake for that matter). yeah, that's not happening on the reg. 

if the cumulative effect is a problem, then there needs to be a no wake zone there. but the intent of that law is not to hold one boat owner liable because their wake is annoying, or because thousands of similar wakes over time from hundreds and hundreds of boats caused damage.

again, if a moron is throwing a wake - going fast, a big yacht or a surfboat - at a spot where someone can be harmed, well odds are that's a no wake zone to begin with - or it should be.  and yes, being reckless and hurting someone should be unlawful.

but that's a far cry from outlawing surfboat wakes.

Edited by troph

There are only two PUBLIC boat ramps on Austin, but numerous more private ramps, and only the public ramps have no-wake zones, while the private ramps are the wild west.  Apache Shores, Quinlan Park, Steiner Ranch, Lake Hills, Emma Long... lots of ramps not names Walsh Landing or 360 that are not protected.  360 bridge area is a No Wake zone, but no one respects it.  Granted, it was kinda just put there after one of the Dell Match Plays and they never removed it, which is really irritating if you're trying to make it from Hula Hut to Ski Shores in a timely manner.

27 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

There are only two PUBLIC boat ramps on Austin, but numerous more private ramps, and only the public ramps have no-wake zones, while the private ramps are the wild west.  Apache Shores, Quinlan Park, Steiner Ranch, Lake Hills, Emma Long... lots of ramps not names Walsh Landing or 360 that are not protected.  360 bridge area is a No Wake zone, but no one respects it.  Granted, it was kinda just put there after one of the Dell Match Plays and they never removed it, which is really irritating if you're trying to make it from Hula Hut to Ski Shores in a timely manner.

There's always been a no wake zone there, it just didn't extend all the way across the lake from shore to shore.  And they also lengthened it, when they extended it.

Agree that it's pretty annoying now, and that there's no need for it to extend all the way to the far shore.

52 minutes ago, G650 said:

In that environment with those boats, it's all fucking yahoos.

Talking About Me Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

jk, I actually hate a crowded lake and lake austin has to be one of the worst.  we simply won't go out if there are a lot of boats on the water.  weekdays after dinner for the win.

• Haha 1

We were out on the lake when that "mass casualty" wreck happened.  Wakesurfing between Pennybacker and Ski Shores when the police boats came hauling ass.  

For sure you see a lot of A-Holes on the lake.  Was over on a dock when this big purple boat came hauling ass really close to the shore.  Previous weekend there was another boat flying and hitting wakes hard... complete idiot.  People like that who don't slow down are the bigger problem.  They're totally reckless.  I'm all for the police busting people.

Yeah, here on Canyon over the last week the traffic from daybreak to about 3pm has subsided significantly.  I guess people are getting focused on back to school and such.  I was out Tuesday and there was maybe 10 boats on the whole lake from 9am to 3pm and after that, BOOM, I look up and there are wake and pontoon boats all over the place.

6 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Beautiful.  I'm just a saltwater guy, but the thought of a bunch of boats purposely kicking up giant wakes irritates me.  Then again, most things irritate me at this advancing age. 

Funny, I’d think the wakes would remind you of the gulf. 

On 8/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, Cajun said:

Sure enough, no surfers today and it’s pure glass…

We’ve got wind on LT but no boats out at all. 

How in the world do you overheat 2 different fairly/brand new X24’s? I’ve been religious about changing impellers every two years and don’t remember ever having an overheating issue but those look too new for it to be an issue. Hopefully, it went into limp mode fairly quickly as overheating an inboard can quickly lead to catastrophic engine failure.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

How in the world do you overheat 2 different fairly/brand new X24’s? I’ve been religious about changing impellers every two years and don’t remember ever having an overheating issue but those look too new for it to be an issue. Hopefully, it went into limp mode fairly quickly as overheating an inboard can quickly lead to catastrophic engine failure.

Those boats could overheat on their trailers in TX right now.

Mine is a year-ish old with 100 hours now. Just had it serviced after I took it out last week.  Had the marina pull it down yesterday for when I got there today and they said it overheated from the slip to the marina.  Called the guy to fix it and and apparently the impeller was ripped to pieces. He fixed it. I took it back out (after my brothers overheated) and apparently not all the pieces came out so it was still clogged.  He’s going to back flush it now.  

for my brothers, LBJ is pretty dirty right now and looks likes his got something in the skim bucket (not sure what you call that thing). He’s is better now. 

I caught both right before the alarm went off at 205 and shut them down.  

fun times.  

On 8/21/2023 at 8:41 AM, Lat22 said:

Beautiful.  I'm just a saltwater guy, but the thought of a bunch of boats purposely kicking up giant wakes irritates me.  Then again, most things irritate me at this advancing age. 

A place like Lake Austin, where it's like running your boat in a washing machine because it's a glorified river?  Yeah, your irritation would be warranted.  Big lakes like Canyon, Travis, LBJ, etc?  It ain't nuthin'.  

Trust me, your ire on Canyon would switch quickly to SeaDoos within about 10 minutes if you came out.  I'm pretty sure it'd be the same on the other big lakes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
not screwing around.
rechristen her "clam splitter" and slay in the stabbin cabin

I think I’m gonna name it Three Chords. I paid for it with money I made playing music the last three years. Most of my songs are of the three chords and the truth variety.
That is a cool boat. 
Also, I don’t care how fed up you are with it, I still love that firebird. 

Not at all fed up with the Firebird. Just time for a new chapter.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I think I’m gonna name it Three Chords. I paid for it with money I made playing music the last three years. Most of my songs are of the three chords and the truth variety.
Not at all fed up with the Firebird. Just time for a new chapter.

Hyperbole: two best days buy and sell

Reality: go run that bitch and you will get your money’s worth.

congrats! Love the new name. 

• Like 1