Greenville Super Regional: Texas @ East Carolina

Horny Bull

Damn. Just getting in here today. Had a busy day for a Friday. What the fuck was that shit? These guys need to shake that shit off and get even tomorrow so we can crush their dreams in G3. I hope. At least that’s how I choose to deal with this abortion.

It is almost cringey to see Tristan Stevens and Nixon get shelled like that. If either of those guys had performed the same as last year this season would have been so much better.

I don't get it. Sure Nixon was a young guy but how does that happen to a veteran like Stevens?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

This thread is a great reminder of why I typically don't come in the game threads.

Some of y'all are borderline regarded and have no business even commenting on baseball, much less providing commentary or coaching advice.

On to Saturday!

You don't think we should fire Pierce even though the reason we lost was because of the umps and the stadium?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

It is almost cringey to see Tristan Stevens and Nixon get shelled like that. If either of those guys had performed the same as last year this season would have been so much better.

I don't get it. Sure Nixon was a young guy but how does that happen to a veteran like Stevens?

Sean Allen...

All game threads around here always have a bunch of jagoffs who don’t watch any of the regular season except for marquee events and come in and declare the season over after every snap, possession, at-bat, or minor negative outcome. 

Fixed that for Surly. What was once one of the best features of this community became its worst with a bunch of one liner dipshits trying to one-up each other on hyperbole and stupid takes. No relevant analysis, insight, or even a basic, coherent opinion on any game.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It's a mystery for sure.  Really in baseball terms neither of them are "young"  They've been playing a LONG time and to your point they have the experience of last year when they didn't have the luxury of this type of offense so the drop off is wild.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think ECU 100% hit Murph on purpose.  Go watch the tape.  Go up 0-1:  remove completely obvious intent.  Catcher looks in for sign.  Gets it, literally gives a head tilt that I read as "are you sure? Okay".  Sign given to pitcher:  slash across chest (I admittedly don't look in at every single sign given but I do fairly often and don't recall seeing it all day) then 2 fingers given.  Not 1, which is... almost universally fastball.  Fastball drills Murph in elbow.  Catcher barely even tracks the baseball.  Almost like he knew exactly where it was going... hmp.

This team is absolute trash.  We better drag our fucking nutsacks across their foreheads and get our asses to Omaha. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

This thread is a great reminder of why I typically don't come in the game threads.

Some of y'all are borderline regarded and have no business even commenting on baseball, much less providing commentary or coaching advice.

On to Saturday!

And this is different from any other game thread how?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

You don't think we should fire Pierce even though the reason we lost was because of the umps and the stadium?

Is someone saying we lost because of the stadium?  the ump was awful mostly not giving us the same plate as ECU.  

we lost because of our pitching and some poor fielding.  Pierce gave up early to save our pitching but our lineup made it a game until top of the 9th.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

What is your definition of an average season at Texas for baseball? Just curious  

I'm saying the comment you replied to was a strange way of phrasing it. I agree with you that Pierce has done a good job. But being "average" at a Texas means you're really fucking good year to year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

I was thinking they would not throw Stevens unless we got the lead.  I think he is ok working long relief in games we are up.  

Nixon was a Hail Mary at best to save what we could for the rest of the series.

Stevens wasn’t necessarily a bad call. Get him out there to pitch clean and quick. Go into the ninth down 1 with hot bats and momentum. Stevens can still pitch a healthy amount if we need him to. 

2 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Stevens and Nixon lost their confidence this year. I really think we need to send them some high dollar prostitutes. 

Stevens more than anyone was really hurt by the winds blowing straight out for 3 months straight at the Disch. Even last year he relied on the fly ball out a lot. That and he just hasn’t been able to get the same tilt on his sinker consistently. It flashes from time to time but he can’t seem to lock it in for long stretches.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I think ECU 100% hit Murph on purpose.  Go watch the tape.  Go up 0-1:  remove completely obvious intent.  Catcher looks in for sign.  Gets it, literally gives a head tilt that I read as "are you sure? Okay".  Sign given to pitcher:  slash across chest (I admittedly don't look in at every single sign given but I do fairly often and don't recall seeing it all day) then 2 fingers given.  Not 1, which is... almost universally fastball.  Fastball drills Murph in elbow.  Catcher barely even tracks the baseball.  Almost like he knew exactly where it was going... hmp.

This team is absolute trash.  We better drag our fucking nutsacks across their foreheads and get our asses to Omaha. 

agreed. and yes that would be nice.  get up 10 runs in game 3 and plunk about 3 guys in the ribs in a row.

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The guy who helped turned Aaron Nixon into a freshman all American last year just randomly told him earlier this year to completely lose all command of his fastball?

Not an entirely fair assessment. 

He also lost command of his slider. 

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Sean Allen...

Allen and Miller are going to stay here no matter what, but Allen was only the pitching coach the last couple years. Pierce may make a move, he himself was doing double duty as pitching coach the first few seasons I think.

But on the other hand their best guys got beat up as well. Pitching just kind of sucks this year.

Edited by Valmy77

15 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Postseason baseball threads around here always have a bunch of jagoffs who didn't watch one inning of the regular season come in and declare the season over after every inning. 

To channel some Lee Elia:

“They’re really, really behind you around here… my fuckin’ ass. What the fuck am I supposed to do, go out there and let my fuckin’ players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the fuckin’ nickel-dime people who turn up? The motherfuckers don’t even work. That’s why they’re in the fuckin’ game thread. They oughta go out and get a fuckin’ job and find out what it’s like to go out and earn a fuckin’ living. Eighty-five percent of the fuckin’ world is working. The other fifteen percent are posting in Surly game threads. A fuckin’ playground for the cocksuckers. 

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Allen and Miller are going to stay here no matter what, but Allen was only the pitching coach the last couple years. Pierce may make a move, he himself was doing double duty as pitching coach the first few seasons I think.

Oh I agree.  I'm just answering the question as to what happened to Nixon and Stevens.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm saying the comment you replied to was a strange way of phrasing it. I agree with you that Pierce has done a good job. But being "average" at a Texas means you're really fucking good year to year. 

Ah, Got it.

There are so many random variables in baseball and a lot of stuff has to go right to dogpile in Omaha. This program should be competing for conference titles pretty much every year and be in Omaha competing to win it all every few years or so. Wild and random stuff can happen in the postseason and there will be years with early exits and there will be years where we get a few breaks and end up in Omaha when we shouldn’t have. 

Pierce has done a good job. I understand the urgency in doing damage this year though considering who’s leaving.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Is someone saying we lost because of the stadium?  the ump was awful mostly not giving us the same plate as ECU.  

we lost because of our pitching and some poor fielding.  Pierce gave up early to save our pitching but our lineup made it a game until top of the 9th.

I dunno but it seems odd that a coach would give up knowing he has the best lineup at Texas in forever and plenty of time to crawl back into it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We really need to address whatever is being done with our pitching. Guys keep coming in and struggle to throw strikes. Something isn't right in our training or preparation. I don't think it is talent issue, as we have guys like Nixon and Stevens who've shown they can pitch at a high level. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

I dunno but it seems odd that a coach would give up knowing he has the best lineup at Texas in forever and plenty of time to crawl back into it. 

IMO he pulled Pete early to save him some pitches for game 3 if we get there.  there aren't any solid options in the pen really and this bandbox park isn't really good for Stevens.  I don't necessarily disagree with what he did.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

IMO he pulled Pete early to save him some pitches for game 3 if we get there.  there aren't any solid options in the pen really and this bandbox park isn't really good for Stevens.  I don't necessarily disagree with what he did.

What was his final pitch count? I would think he’s burned for any potential game 3 already. If he got up over 70 then bringing him back for anything on one day rest is a terrible idea.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

What was his final pitch count? I would think he’s burned for any potential game 3 already. If he got up over 70 then bringing him back for anything on one day rest is a terrible idea.

Have you seen our bullpen? I'm pretty sure all we have is terrible ideas at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We really need to address whatever is being done with our pitching. Guys keep coming in and struggle to throw strikes. Something isn't right in our training or preparation. I don't think it is talent issue, as we have guys like Nixon and Stevens who've shown they can pitch at a high level. 

Well our training and preparation was right last weekend. And the majority of our games in Arlington.

These guys are who they are. They are inconsistent. Pitching around college baseball is down this year, we aren't only school who is struggling to find guys who can find the strike zone consistently. We've squeezed a lot of juice out of what we have available to us and it's just the truth. We have been able to develop Gordon into a legit #2 and Olivarez from a guy with a 5 ERA at Lamar to a .40 ERA here. Nixon, Duplantier and Stevens being complete non-factors for a large majority of this season has us in this spot. I don't think it's right to put all the blame on coach or all the blame on the player. It's probably some sort of combination of both.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Maybe for like 1 out in the 9th but leaving Pete in would have done more harm than good with the command he had today. But it’s not like we have Cole, Witt and freshman nixion in the pen and decided to go with Zane. 

I'm not going to wade through the whole history again, but in 2021...
Teams who won the 1st game of the Supers went to Omaha 75% of the time.
Teams who won the 2nd game of the Supers went to Omaha 75% of the time.
When you have a best-of-3 series, the team that wins *ANY* game has a very good chance to win the series. 

That sounds like a lot of math.

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well our training and preparation was right last weekend. And the majority of our games in Arlington.

These guys are who they are. They are inconsistent. Pitching around college baseball is down this year, we aren't only school who is struggling to find guys who can find the strike zone consistently. We've squeezed a lot of juice out of what we have available to us and it's just the truth. We have been able to develop Gordon into a legit #2 and Olivarez from a guy with a 5 ERA at Lamar to a .40 ERA here. Nixon, Duplantier and Stevens being complete non-factors for a large majority of this season has us in this spot. I don't think it's right to put all the blame on coach or all the blame on the player. It's probably some sort of combination of both.

That’s fair. My concern is more with our management of our pitchers but as someone said earlier that’s more of a DP problem than Pierce.

I do think it’s reasonable to put some blame on coaching for the regression many of our staff have made. It would be different if it was one guy but this has happened a few times with Allen as PC

Does anyone know why Pierce doesn't have a video/analytics director on staff?  Almost all of the big programs have one of these guys now (Will Fox at A&M, Sean McCann at Tenn being a couple of examples) but looking at the UT site I don't see a similar position at Texas.  The closest analog I can find on our staff is Caleb Longley but it's not clear he's responsible for scouting/development using video/analytics as primary tools.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s fair. My concern is more with our management of our pitchers but as someone said earlier that’s more of a DP problem than Pierce.

I do think it’s reasonable to put some blame on coaching for the regression many of our staff have made. It would be different if it was one guy but this has happened a few times with Allen as PC

I’ve said it before but last year our middle of the pen didn’t have to pitch big innings. Now those guys are not stepping up this year to replace what we lost. You can say that is coaching or the guys just aren’t as talented than we originally thought, either way there’s a problem. 

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I think Stevens was overrated coming into this season.  Just doesn't have that impressive of stuff.

• Like 1