January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the fact that only 1 member of them is in a competitive race (most being a lock for re-election or 'retiring') made them call it quits.  Fuck your party y'all.  Fuck your party.  covering their asses for decent reassignments come McCarthy-era.  Fuck them.  go down swinging at least.  I'm almost always wrong about...well pretty much everything.  But I stay until the end and leave things better than when I found them.  At least I can look my children in the eye, Jamie.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought the consensus was that they want to get their report done and make recommendations before the sun goes down. They sounded like they were wrapping up at their last hearing.

I'd like to see more, but I think they've got enough to make their case that the insurrection stems from Trump and his associates.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I guess the fact that only 1 member of them is in a competitive race (most being a lock for re-election or 'retiring') made them call it quits.  Fuck your party y'all.  Fuck your party.  covering their asses for decent reassignments come McCarthy-era.  Fuck them.  go down swinging at least.  I'm almost always wrong about...well pretty much everything.  But I stay until the end and leave things better than when I found them.  At least I can look my children in the eye, Jamie.

They did go down swinging.  What more do you want the committee to do?

16 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

They did go down swinging.  What more do you want the committee to do?

Just put a fine point on it, or an exclamation point, or drop the mic.  I mean, we all know they did.  But just some kinda media stamp on it as they walk outta the room.  I know, just semantics and theater at this point.  It's like irony, I don't know what I wanted them to do...I'd just know if I see it.  I dunno.  I'm all whacked out on fentanyl from halloween "fun dip" I snorted with Don, Jr.  Shit's borked. Good news is he hasn't moved in like 5 hours.

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I thought the consensus was that they want to get their report done and make recommendations before the sun goes down. They sounded like they were wrapping up at their last hearing.

I'd like to see more, but I think they've got enough to make their case that the insurrection stems from Trump and his associates.

IIRC, they postponed the final hearings due to the hurricane.  My understanding, though maybe it wasn't explicitly stated, was to finish up the hearings prior to the midterm elections.  And now they just up and vanished like a fart in the wind.

For real, how are y'all not more upset about this?  They literally had a whole "finale" of hearings planned that apparently tied dotard directly to the attack and then just shelved them.  The committee is most likely done forever starting in January.  Even if they brought out the hearings in November or December, who gives a shit?  Aside from being the right thing to do, finishing the hearings before the midterms was critical from a political standpoint.  There are a non-zero number of people in the "middle" who either would have thought twice about voting for the Rs or just may have decided to not vote at all.

In my view, this is a catastrophic failure by the Dems and any Rs (two of them?) that wanted to thwart the GQP from stealing the 2024 election.

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

For real, how are y'all not more upset about this?  They literally had a whole "finale" of hearings planned that apparently tied dotard directly to the attack and then just shelved them.  The committee is most likely done forever starting in January.  Even if they brought out the hearings in November or December, who gives a shit?  Aside from being the right thing to do, finishing the hearings before the midterms was critical from a political standpoint.  There are a non-zero number of people in the "middle" who either would have thought twice about voting for the Rs or just may have decided to not vote at all.

In my view, this is a catastrophic failure by the Dems and any Rs (two of them?) that wanted to thwart the GQP from stealing the 2024 election.

They did the final hearing, it just wasn't on prime time because of the hurricane.  They tied everything up nice and neat and showed without a shadow of a doubt that Trump is 100% responsible for it.  You can watch a replay on Youtube if you want.  I don't know what else you want them to do because prosecuting that fat fuck is DOJ's job, not Congress.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

They did the final hearing, it just wasn't on prime time because of the hurricane.  They tied everything up nice and neat and showed without a shadow of a doubt that Trump is 100% responsible for it.  You can watch a replay on Youtube if you want.  I don't know what else you want them to do because prosecuting that fat fuck is DOJ's job, not Congress.

Well I'll be damned.  I remember they subpoena'd dotard, but didn't realize it was the final hearing.  I stand corrected.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/13/1125333531/jan-6-hearing-recap-takeaways-trump-subpoena

The House Select Committee investigating the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, held its ninth — and possible final — hearing on its investigation on Thursday. Unlike previous hearings that lasered in on particular pieces of former President Donald Trump and his allies' scheme to overturn the 2020 election results, Thursday's hearing put the committee's findings into a broader context.

1 minute ago, Willfully Horn said:

I keeo reading that the committee  continues to conduct interviews. When they wrapped up the last hearing, they left open the question of whether there will be another. 

True.  And if Trump actually comes to testify (highly unlikely, IMO), they'll cover his Col. Jessup moment, too.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

4 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I was going to say, y’all are getting pissed over something you didn’t pay attention to lol.

I also figured out why I completely missed this entire thing.  

It was my buddy's 40th bday weekend and I was not at all paying attention to the news and also...not sober.

Edited by Biff Tannen
Extraneous
  • Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Everyone needs to chill. The committee is probably drafting THE sternly worded letter to end all sternly worded letters. That will surely convince all the deniers and democracy-hating water heads that 1/6 was bad and those involved need to be punished. 

They've already made a devastating case against Trump and his co-conspirators. It was riveting TV. 

The problem isn't the committee. The problem is that evidence and logic articulated clearly doesn't have much impact on the general electorate and none on the supporters of people who conspired to forcefully stop a foundational democratic process.

It's all there. Part of the electorate prefers other distractions to getting involved even to the point of knowing basic facts. The other part denies the truth they can see with their own eyes.

I don't think there is a magic messaging strategy that changes any of this. The committee is doing policy and oversight and politics. The other side is a mob of insurrectionists. 

Had Trump made it to the Capitol, what do the police do when the president orders them to stand aside? He leads a flood of his supporters unopposed into the building, and forces a stop to the cerfication. Then what?

"I don't want to watch this. Change it over to Real Housewives."

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/02/trump-lawyers-saw-justice-thomas-as-only-chance-to-stop-2020-election-certification-00064592

Donald Trump’s attorneys saw a direct appeal to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as their best hope of derailing Joe Biden’s win in the 2020 presidential election, email messages newly disclosed to congressional investigators show.

“We want to frame things so that Thomas could be the one to issue some sort of stay or other circuit justice opinion saying Georgia is in legitimate doubt,” Trump attorney Kenneth Chesebro wrote in a Dec. 31, 2020 email to Trump’s legal team. “Realistically, our only chance to get a favorable judicial opinion by Jan. 6, which might hold up the Georgia count in Congress, is from Thomas -- do you agree, Prof. Eastman?”

“I think I agree with this,” Eastman replied later that morning, suggesting that a favorable move by Thomas or other justices would “kick the Georgia legislature into gear” to help overturn the election results.

“I’ve been getting a lot of calls from them indicating to me they’re leaning that way,” Eastman said, according to copies of the emails obtained by POLITICO.

Thomas is the justice assigned to handle emergency matters arising out of Georgia and would have been the one to receive any urgent appeal of Trump’s lawsuit to the Supreme Court — a fact that seemed to be part of the Trump legal team’s calculus.

Rulings from so-called circuit justices are typically stopgap measures aimed at preserving the status quo until the full Supreme Court weighs in, but the Trump lawyers hoped a favorable order from Thomas would embolden state GOP-controlled legislatures to block final certifications of Joe Biden’s victory.

Spoiler

The emails were part of a batch that Eastman had sought to withhold from the Jan. 6 select committee but that a federal judge ordered turned over anyway, describing them as evidence of likely crimes committed by Eastman and Trump.

The emails also shed new light on an effort to get Trump to sign documents connected to a Dec. 31, 2020 federal lawsuit challenging the election results in Georgia, including acute concerns Trump’s lawyers voiced during that chaotic period that Trump might put himself in legal jeopardy if he attested to the voter fraud data contained in it.

“I have no doubt that an aggressive DA or US Atty someplace will go after both the President and his lawyers once all the dust settles on this,” Eastman wrote in an email to two other private attorneys working on Trump election challenges, Alex Kaufman and Kurt Hilbert.

After some exchanges, including with Trump White House lawyer Eric Herschmann, the lawyers agreed they would remove some of the specific figures before Trump swore to the accuracy of the lawsuit.

But they also debated whether the federal complaint should “incorporate by reference” the voter fraud data included in an earlier state-level lawsuit. Eastman warned that since the state lawsuit was filed, evidence had disproven some of the voter fraud data contained in it — and having Trump point to the earlier data would be erroneous.

“I know it is late in the day, but do we need to incorporate that complaint by reference?” Eastman wondered.

It’s unclear how the other attorney responded to Eastman. But in a separate email chain with additional lawyers, an intensive effort was underway to get the court filings in front of Trump so they could be signed and notarized in time to file the lawsuit that evening.

Trump, they were informed, was on a plane back to D.C. and they needed him to sign and notarize the document. Trump attorney Cleta Mitchell said Trump’s personal assistant had informed her they had no access to a notary until Monday.

“So, now what?” she wondered. “Can we figure out a way to file this without a verification?

“There’s no one they can call to come to the White House that’s a notary?” Chris Gardner, a Virginia attorney and former GOP House aide assisting the president’s legal team, asked in an email sent just before 4 P.M. on New Year’s Eve. “I don’t know how we file without it. Presidential trip to a UPS store?”

Mitchell later said she was exploring the possibility of getting a notary to certify Trump’s signature via a Zoom call.

Court records show Trump’s signature was ultimately attested to by William McCathran, an assistant executive clerk working for the White House.

Trump’s signature was key to U.S. District Court Judge David Carter’s Oct. 19 ruling that the emails must be disclosed to the House Jan. 6 committee. Carter said Trump signed the verification to a federal court complaint under penalty of perjury despite evidence that he’d been told many of the fraud claims in the lawsuit were inaccurate.

The messages “show that President Trump knew that the specific numbers of voter fraud were wrong but continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public,” wrote Carter, an appointee of President Bill Clinton.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1. I'm beginning to think it's wise of the committee to cool it until after the midterm election. A recommendation to indict Trump, let alone an actual arrest, would ignite his supporters and possibly drive more of them to polling places. There they would either vote for tyranny or disrupt the voting.

2. Another sad state of affairs is that any time a federal judge is mentioned, who he was appointed by must be mentioned. I think the hate engine influenced this by whining about how unfairly they are treated by evil judges appointed by the ebil libs. This citing of the appointer reinforces the notion that the judge will be prejudiced. 

3. Down we slide.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

1. I'm beginning to think it's wise of the committee to cool it until after the midterm election. A recommendation to indict Trump, let alone an actual arrest, would ignite his supporters and possibly drive more of them to polling places. There they would either vote for tyranny or disrupt the voting.

2. Another sad state of affairs is that any time a federal judge is mentioned, who he was appointed by must be mentioned. I think the hate engine influenced this by whining about how unfairly they are treated by evil judges appointed by the ebil libs. This citing of the appointer reinforces the notion that the judge will be prejudiced. 

3. Down we slide.

My thinking.  

Hoping Trump is in handcuffs within a week of the midterms.

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/02/trump-lawyers-saw-justice-thomas-as-only-chance-to-stop-2020-election-certification-00064592

Reveal hidden contents

The emails were part of a batch that Eastman had sought to withhold from the Jan. 6 select committee but that a federal judge ordered turned over anyway, describing them as evidence of likely crimes committed by Eastman and Trump.

The emails also shed new light on an effort to get Trump to sign documents connected to a Dec. 31, 2020 federal lawsuit challenging the election results in Georgia, including acute concerns Trump’s lawyers voiced during that chaotic period that Trump might put himself in legal jeopardy if he attested to the voter fraud data contained in it.

“I have no doubt that an aggressive DA or US Atty someplace will go after both the President and his lawyers once all the dust settles on this,” Eastman wrote in an email to two other private attorneys working on Trump election challenges, Alex Kaufman and Kurt Hilbert.

After some exchanges, including with Trump White House lawyer Eric Herschmann, the lawyers agreed they would remove some of the specific figures before Trump swore to the accuracy of the lawsuit.

But they also debated whether the federal complaint should “incorporate by reference” the voter fraud data included in an earlier state-level lawsuit. Eastman warned that since the state lawsuit was filed, evidence had disproven some of the voter fraud data contained in it — and having Trump point to the earlier data would be erroneous.

“I know it is late in the day, but do we need to incorporate that complaint by reference?” Eastman wondered.

It’s unclear how the other attorney responded to Eastman. But in a separate email chain with additional lawyers, an intensive effort was underway to get the court filings in front of Trump so they could be signed and notarized in time to file the lawsuit that evening.

Trump, they were informed, was on a plane back to D.C. and they needed him to sign and notarize the document. Trump attorney Cleta Mitchell said Trump’s personal assistant had informed her they had no access to a notary until Monday.

“So, now what?” she wondered. “Can we figure out a way to file this without a verification?

“There’s no one they can call to come to the White House that’s a notary?” Chris Gardner, a Virginia attorney and former GOP House aide assisting the president’s legal team, asked in an email sent just before 4 P.M. on New Year’s Eve. “I don’t know how we file without it. Presidential trip to a UPS store?”

Mitchell later said she was exploring the possibility of getting a notary to certify Trump’s signature via a Zoom call.

Court records show Trump’s signature was ultimately attested to by William McCathran, an assistant executive clerk working for the White House.

Trump’s signature was key to U.S. District Court Judge David Carter’s Oct. 19 ruling that the emails must be disclosed to the House Jan. 6 committee. Carter said Trump signed the verification to a federal court complaint under penalty of perjury despite evidence that he’d been told many of the fraud claims in the lawsuit were inaccurate.

The messages “show that President Trump knew that the specific numbers of voter fraud were wrong but continued to tout those numbers, both in court and to the public,” wrote Carter, an appointee of President Bill Clinton.

This is fucking nuts.  At least one SUPREME COURT JUSTICE is fully compromised and a traitor to this nation.  And he continues to serve.  Just wild.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m not a gay prostitute

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Oh Sweetheart, you've been metaphorically fucked in the ass many times by these men...you just didn't consider yourself a prostitute because you were the one paying them instead of the other way around.  You're educated...but you're fucking stupid.  It's okay, there's still time for you to take your frustration 

Actually he only specified that he wasn't a gay prostitute. He could still be a prostitute in general including a hetero prostitute that services men for money. I'm not sure what his pizza-code status is, however.

13 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

3. Down we slide.

Trump I believe is really the first, maybe only, political figure to bitch about judges and refer to their appointment.

Certainly a President, and many have been aggrieved by judges, namely FDR. https://www.npr.org/2017/02/11/514587731/trumps-criticism-of-judges-out-of-line-with-past-presidents

I fairly vividly remember him talking shit on a Judge Orlando or Rolando or something (I obviously don't remember it that vividly) that was a Dem appointment and that really stuck out to me.  And I think it was before he was President.

Edit again, yep, Gonzalo Curiel in the Trump U case. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-judge-trump-university-case-election-2016/

More evidence that he is a uniquely huge shitstain.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is fucking nuts.  At least one SUPREME COURT JUSTICE is fully compromised and a traitor to this nation.  And he continues to serve.  Just wild.

To be fair, there was a shitload of wishcasting there by Trump's stupid and naive lawyers, as to whether Clarence would have done their bidding.

For example, Thomas could have stayed the 11th Circuit's stay acting on his own, yet he referred it to the entire court,. which denied relief.

He could have done the same with the Graham motion for stay, but didn't, and the full court denied relief.

Also, although it is rare, according to Supreme Court rules, a single-judge decision on a stay like this can be undone by the full court.  This might have been such a rare case.

That's not to say that Clarence isn't compromised or some type of traitor, but his hypocrisy only goes so far.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Sorry folks, I was never fully on your team.  But I wanted to help you fuck over True Evil in every aspect of it.  But as Joe Pesci once said, your party could fuck up a cup of coffee.  I understand, and bizarrely respect, the tradition of not abusing a new party in charge to fuck with the previous administration.  It's a tacit agreement that allows our Representative Democracy to endure.  But between selling out our nation to adversaries, stealing classified secrets, and instigating insurrectionist riots...maybe you should have doubled down on this fucking guy.  But oh wait, you only had the White House, House of Reps, the U.S. Senate, and the D.C. Circuit.  Sorry you didn't have any assets you fucking cunts.  Between that and your low fucking voter turnout...fuck you guys.  Seriously.  I know there's 9 of you passionately engaged in politics on here, but otherwise...what's the fucking point.  You couldn't prosecute or turn out the vote because of a single federal judge or high gas prices?  Don't get offended the next time somebody tells you that you got low dick energy.      I'm gonna drive around to election places on Tuesday though and video intimidators and then have them fired.  I got spare time.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Sorry folks, I was never fully on your team.  But I wanted to help you fuck over True Evil in every aspect of it.  But as Joe Pesci once said, your party could fuck up a cup of coffee.  I understand, and bizarrely respect, the tradition of not abusing a new party in charge to fuck with the previous administration.  It's a tacit agreement that allows our Representative Democracy to endure.  But between selling out our nation to adversaries, stealing classified secrets, and instigating insurrectionist riots...maybe you should have doubled down on this fucking guy.  But oh wait, you only had the White House, House of Reps, the U.S. Senate, and the D.C. Circuit.  Sorry you didn't have any assets you fucking cunts.  Between that and your low fucking voter turnout...fuck you guys.  Seriously.  I know there's 9 of you passionately engaged in politics on here, but otherwise...what's the fucking point.  You couldn't prosecute or turn out the vote because of a single federal judge or high gas prices?  Don't get offended the next time somebody tells you that you got low dick energy.      I'm gonna drive around to election places on Tuesday though and video intimidators and then have them fired.  I got spare time.

Hey, fuck you too buddy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1