The Old Man/Jeff Bridges

Nicole44

I'm loving this show, first two episodes had me in 100%.  But the end of episode 3 has me reconsidering a bit.  The twist had me questioning

Spoiler

how in the hell does an Afghan double agent get in the CIA (or FBI, can't recall) and allowed to be roaming around in a sensitive operation like this.  In the same operation where Chase has a daughter ALSO as an agent in the same office where no one has a clue who she is, including her mentor that just happens to be hyper focused on finding Chase and using every tool available to find and kill him. I can suspend disbelief for entertainment, but they're pushing it.

I'll still watch, and hope the above is just a top layer of shenanigans that will be played out later with deeper, more interesting plot twists that play this out.

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So Chase killed the woman right? She would have gone berserk in the trunk and it’s silent when he opens it. 

Ahoy mate. You don't pay attention to the previews, do  you? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

this is a great show, one of my faves on at the moment, but allow me to quibble.  jeff bridges slept with the afghani's wife, and that's it?  the terrorist has been plotting for 30 years for this revenge?  seems a little vindictive to me, even for an afghani.  

We only know that's part of it at this point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

this is a great show, one of my faves on at the moment, but allow me to quibble.  jeff bridges slept with the afghani's wife, and that's it?  the terrorist has been plotting for 30 years for this revenge?  seems a little vindictive to me, even for an afghani.  

What Chase did in Afghanistan has only been hinted around, so I am sure we’re about to learn a lot more.

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

We only know that's part of it at this point.

Spoiler

I think he wants Emily for whatever reason….and/or Chase took a bunch of money to finance the escape with his wife? Not sure. Haven’t read the book…

15 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

I mean, he stole the man’s wife. that would piss me off. and I have learned from hollywood that afghanis have strict codes of honor. 30 years or not that’s a grudge that wouldn’t die. but yeah I’m sure there’s more to it. 

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:
  Hide contents

I think he wants Emily for whatever reason….and/or Chase took a bunch of money to finance the escape with his wife? Not sure. Haven’t read the book…

Spoiler

emily is not hamzad’s daughter. right? she is the dude’s daughter. or maybe you weren’t implying she is the warlord’s daughter but that’s how I interpreted your post.

7 minutes ago, futureman said:

I mean, he stole the man’s wife. that would piss me off. and I have learned from hollywood that afghanis have strict codes of honor. 30 years or not that’s a grudge that wouldn’t die. but yeah I’m sure there’s more to it. 

Hide contents

emily is not hamzad’s daughter. right? she is the dude’s daughter. or maybe you weren’t implying she is the warlord’s daughter but that’s how I interpreted your post.

Spoiler

Emily haves to be at least 30 though. But she’s be a perfect target for revenge. 

Well that escalated quickly? Renewed for a second season. Does this mean they will leave us all hanging after next week? They’ve been pretty sneaky with the IMDB site so far (characters and such)…

https://deadline.com/2022/06/the-old-man-renewed-season-2-fx-1235052990/amp/

I’m kinda in awe of how good this is. I realize the show has basically been sitting there for some time (like 3 years or about because of Covid/Jeff Bridges having cancer and almost dying from Covid) but it’s awesome. It’s great to watch seasoned actors have their day. Amy plays her part well but I don’t like her character at all. Hopefully, that changes. I’ve always loved Bridges and Lithgow. I like that the director makes us feel like we are a part of it somehow and yet it’s above my pay grade. Not a fan of the music largely at all but some sweeping John Wick style background music wouldn’t work either. It’s a slow drip leading and building layers up to cool shit. I need to read the book. Well that’s enough stream of consciousness from me. I’m absolutely enjoying the heck out of this.

Spoiler

Was that one character supposed to be Bin Laden?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I’m kinda in awe of how good this is. I realize the show has basically been sitting there for some time (like 3 years or about because of Covid/Jeff Bridges having cancer and almost dying from Covid) but it’s awesome. It’s great to watch seasoned actors have their day. Amy plays her part well but I don’t like her character at all. Hopefully, that changes. I’ve always loved Bridges and Lithgow. I like that the director makes us feel like we are a part of it somehow and yet it’s above my pay grade. Not a fan of the music largely at all but some sweeping John Wick style background music wouldn’t work either. It’s a slow drip leading and building layers up to cool shit. I need to read the book. Well that’s enough stream of consciousness from me. I’m absolutely enjoying the heck out of this.

John Lithgow is really, really great.  He would've been an awesome attorney in so many shows/movies.  He's versatile, plays smart and comes off as an intellectual assassin.  I knew I liked him as an actor but I certainly didn't know his greatness watching 3rd Rock.  I don't mind the music taking a back seat--that's a hangup of mine with modern movies, the music is an emotional crutch.  Here, the storyline solidly carries the show. All of the characters play pretty well but the two central characters are really dynamic and sustain my interest to keep the intensity rolling.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Dan Chase needs to be offed. If Amy realized the danger to her would die with him then maybe she would do it.   She could very plausibly plead self defense and get away with it.  Season 1 should have ended with her drugging his wine then electrocuting him with a blender in the bathtub.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I knew I liked him as an actor but I certainly didn't know his greatness watching 3rd Rock.

I knew him from The World According to Garp and 3rd Rock. Same with Bryan Cranston. Only knew him from Malcom in the Middle. Never expected either of those guys had badass dramatic chops hidden away. Guess the old saying is true, "dying is easy, comedy is hard."

• Hook 'Em 1

I knew him from The World According to Garp and 3rd Rock. Same with Bryan Cranston. Only knew him from Malcom in the Middle. Never expected either of those guys had badass dramatic chops hidden away. Guess the old saying is true, "dying is easy, comedy is hard."

The people at Malcolm in the Middle knew that had gold in Season 2, it’s one of the coolest things in TV, watching that show grow around Bryan Cranston. F the haters, that show was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Dan Chase needs to be offed. If Amy realized the danger to her would die with him then maybe she would do it.   She could very plausibly plead self defense and get away with it.  Season 1 should have ended with her drugging his wine then electrocuting him with a blender in the bathtub.  

are you a woman?

10 hours ago, RPM said:

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Loving this so far. Very well written and acted. Nearly on the fence about Zoe but leaning towards liking her after really disliking her.

enjoyed last night’s episode and what it’s building towards. So next week is the penultimate episode of season 1?

I hope Harper makes it to next season…I really like Lithgow 

Spoiler

Very much looking forward to seeing Lithgow and Bridges on scene together…I think this happens bc most of the articles said due to Covid, Bridge’s bout with cancer and Covid they hadn’t seen each other hardly at all during the making of this. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, Nicole44 said:

Loving this so far. Very well written and acted. Nearly on the fence about Zoe but leaning towards liking her after really disliking her.

enjoyed last night’s episode and what it’s building towards. So next week is the penultimate episode of season 1?

I hope Harper makes it to next season…I really like Lithgow 

Reveal hidden contents

Very much looking forward to seeing Lithgow and Bridges on scene together…I think this happens bc most of the articles said due to Covid, Bridge’s bout with cancer and Covid they hadn’t seen each other hardly at all during the making of this. 

Sorry … I’ll never forgive him for murdering Rita Morgan.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Really enjoying show.  But I missed how Harper jumps from figuring out Angela may be a mole to being Emily.  I’ll let it go. 

I am still struggling why the US government is doing backflips to serve up The Old Man to a former afghani warlord who appears to be some international magnate now. I presume it will be explained. 

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

But I missed how Harper jumps from figuring out Angela may be a mole to being Emily.  I’ll let it go.

yeah this threw me as well.  could’ve been that morgan bote told him but that doesn’t appear to have happened.  seems like a leap to go from ‘maybe there’s a mole’ to ‘this girl I think of as my daughter who has worked under me for 10 years is the daughter of dan chase who we thought had committed suicide in 2003.’  all because she flinched when harper mentioned her mom’s name. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

yeah this threw me as well.  could’ve been that morgan bote told him but that doesn’t appear to have happened.  seems like a leap to go from ‘maybe there’s a mole’ to ‘this girl I think of as my daughter who has worked under me for 10 years is the daughter of dan chase who we thought had committed suicide in 2003.’  all because she flinched when harper mentioned her mom’s name. 

He'd already grown suspicious when he asked her directly "Why are you so interested in this woman?" as Angela/Emily kept bringing her up.  The writing went out of the way to demonstrate he found it extremely odd.

So he does a little test, says her mother's real name to the lawyer, and he notes the reaction, which tells him she's Chase's daughter.

This show is really well done, and I know that's not easy to accomplish.  There's a ton of dialogue/exposition but it doesn't drag and it feels pertinent and realistic.

As for why the US intelligence branches are jumping up and down to please Hamzad, I assume it's because he's got plenty of dirt that can cause a shit storm for our govt, or he's in a position to be enormously useful to our govt.  Either/or

I think this is the first film/series I've seen in which a much older actor is being portrayed in his youth by another actor when I actually know very well what the old actor looked/sounded like because I watched him as a young actor.  Weird.

I'd never seen any of Brando's early stuff when I saw the Godfather movies, so DeNiro didn't feel weird to me as young Andolini.  But Bill Heck is doing a perfectly believable job of portraying a young Chase.

Edited by Augustus
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

He'd already grown suspicious when he asked her directly "Why are you so interested in this woman?" as Angela/Emily kept bring her up.  The writing went out of the way to demonstrate he found it extremely odd.

So he does a little test, says her mother's real name to the lawyer, and he notes the reaction, which tells him she's Chase's daughter.

I still think it’s a reach.  she’s not just an employee, she’s intimately associated with his family.  she’s like a daughter to him and has been for a long time.  he trusts her completely, or he did.  for her to ask a few questions about the woman shouldn’t lead to “she’s dan chase’s daughter.”

• Hook 'Em 2