"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

Love the scene when Richie saw the picture on the wall of the two chefs. 

made me think back to the story about how ol dude said he thought he was the best. But he met someone else that was better at everything. 

they have similar tats. 

i hope we see them two together next season. 
 Claire is amazing. I love her 

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Has anyone mentioned the one shot scene for the final episode?  I wonder what the time was on that?  It was at least 5-10 minutes.

They have tricks now so it isn’t all one take tracking like it used to be.  But I still love those real time tracking shots.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2023 at 2:00 PM, A-Tex Devil said:

I am going to finish it tonight.  You cannot be on your phone during this show.  It’s not that it is complicated, but there is so much non-verbal acting going on that you miss.   I watched 1 and 2 twice as a result.  No more phone the rest of the season.  

I love Fak.  Is that his real look with the neck tattoos?  If so, great find.  Kinda like Snoop in The Wire.  Get me a legit Chicago PWT, likable dude to play a supporting character and we will make them a star.  

Y'all don't know the genius of Matty Matheson? His cookbooks are great.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Been waiting for a good time to binge, started today and am halfway through e5. Paused to say that all of these super tight close up shots are seriously uncomfortable for me, like I’m talking nose to nose with someone. 

also, makes me wonder if the cameras need to be pretty close and invasive or if they can use a good zoom and be back whatever the normal distance is that actors would be used to. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Agree.  He's a scene stealer

he is, but pretty much everyone is.

in s1 i expected to not like marcus's roommate, he was only in 1 scene, and it was great.  you're supposed to not like sug's husband, but you end up kinda liking him.  sydney is annoying but she's a good character.  there are no bad characters.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

I was terrified at one point that she wasn't coming to dinner because she had offed herself.

The clock timer was the order printer of the episode. It amped up the tension each time it went off. Just masterful and props to John Mulaney for his acting in that episode. Held his own against a lot of heavier hitters. 

And Claire Bear is incredibly cute. Like a grown up sister of Jenna Ortega. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

The clock timer was the order printer of the episode. It amped up the tension each time it went off. Just masterful and props to John Mulaney for his acting in that episode. Held his own against a lot of heavier hitters. 

yeah, lots of emmy nominated (and winning) actors at that table.  and curtis just won an oscar.

mulaney has 2 emmys as well but they're for writing or something pointless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I went from hating Richie to him being my favorite in about 7minutes. 

That just goes to show how brilliant the writing is and the talent of Ebon Moss Bachrach 

I agree but I’ll say the show did a good job of building his character last season too showing him trying to date/having a strained relationship with his ex/caring for his daughter. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

That just goes to show how brilliant the writing is and the talent of Ebon Moss Bachrach 

I wish they had him stage a little longer than a week.  It clicked for him a little too fast.

20 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Same. I never liked him. Thought he was selfish and a bully. Then the backstory comes out and I slowly start to relate. In the end Richie just needed a chance to prove himself. Now he wears suits.

22 hours ago, Post Oak said:

22 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I agree but I’ll say the show did a good job of building his character last season too showing him trying to date/having a strained relationship with his ex/caring for his daughter. 

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Same. I never liked him. Thought he was selfish and a bully. Then the backstory comes out and I slowly start to relate. In the end Richie just needed a chance to prove himself. Now he wears suits.

richie wears his armor, like he mentioned in "forks".  his armor isn't a suit though, it was a loud, obnoxious, shitty attitude, mixed with self-loathing and self-pity.  i'm having a rough go of it, nothing goes my way, my childhood was shit, so i'm going to act like an asshole and i don't care what people think of me. 

the good qualities he had, both as a person and as a restaurant-worker were always there.  "he said you were good with people.  he wasn't wrong."  carmy and those close to him have seen glimpses, he just needed to knock the chip off his shoulder and do the work.  he needed to understand it better.  i agree the stage phase should've been longer, but these are 30 min episodes and there just isn't room. 

but he cares about people and their experiences, and now he's able to put that part forward and let it lead.  when you see his character, you almost assume it's like the wire, and they just took an obnoxious chicago sandwich shop guy and put him in the show.  he's a good actor and a good character.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I think the finale was my least favorite episode of S2, oddly. Something didn't feel right to me, but it might just be because of all the characters I actually care least about Carmy.

spoiled for those taking it slow (i don't blame you).

Spoiler

this was a good season to be able to binge and i'm glad they released it this way.  little callbacks like the banana, which could've gotten lost in the chaos of ep6 worked really well in the season finale.  all the little things that got missed like the fridge guy - same.  there were some others that i can't remember that were better because it didn't take 2.5 months to watch and process the season.

• Like 1

Every episode was named after something on the menu in finale, I believe.  Even Pop.  

I didn’t love the texts on Marcus’ phone at end.  We already have the main character conflicted between those he cares about and the job.  I don’t need the other.  

The biggest mistake even good TV shows make is contrived conflict/drama.  When I am watching a show like The Bear or any good TV show and I am trained to expect the other shoe to drop when something good happens, because it always does in TV drama. And then it doesn’t.  That is some of my favorite TV, frankly.  Richie’s arc in Forks is a great example of that. 

• Like 1

Every episode was named after something on the menu in finale, I believe.  Even Pop.  

I didn’t love the texts on Marcus’ phone at end.  We already have the main character conflicted between those he cares about and the job.  I don’t need the other.  

The biggest mistake even good TV shows make is contrived conflict/drama.  When I am watching a show like The Bear or any good TV show and I am trained to expect the other shoe to drop when something good happens, because it always does in TV drama. And then it doesn’t.  That is some of my favorite TV, frankly.  Richie’s arc in Forks is a great example of that. 

No one is counting shoes.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

richie wears his armor, like he mentioned in "forks".  his armor isn't a suit though, it was a loud, obnoxious, shitty attitude, mixed with self-loathing and self-pity.  i'm having a rough go of it, nothing goes my way, my childhood was shit, so i'm going to act like an asshole and i don't care what people think of me. 

the good qualities he had, both as a person and as a restaurant-worker were always there.  "he said you were good with people.  he wasn't wrong."  carmy and those close to him have seen glimpses, he just needed to knock the chip off his shoulder and do the work.  he needed to understand it better.  i agree the stage phase should've been longer, but these are 30 min episodes and there just isn't room. 

but he cares about people and their experiences, and now he's able to put that part forward and let it lead.  when you see his character, you almost assume it's like the wire, and they just took an obnoxious chicago sandwich shop guy and put him in the show.  he's a good actor and a good character.

Damn, you're good at this. You should do it for a living.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can’t put my finger on who she most resembles but I’ve settled on Zooey Deschanel, which is probably why I dig what she’s throwing down.

Watched episodes five and six tonight. Man, Fishes hits hard. Felt like I was watching Ellen Burstyn’s meltdown from Requiem For a Dream in a single night (understand this was mental illness building over years) with Jamie Lee Curtis.

What was Michelle/Sara Paulson’s relationship to the Berzatto family? Is that Cicero’s daughter? Steve/Mullaney was her friend from NYC?

What a ridiculously terrific show. I don’t want Season 2 to end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Dammit Carmy. Had to f it up just like Donna would. F'ing Pete is the most shit on character in this thing. He's just always trying to do the right thing and it never works out. Glad Richie got his purpose. I'm glad Sydney got her thing. I'm glad Tina continues to kick ass. Sucks that Marcus mom probably took a turn for the worse and he will blame himself and the job for it. F'ing Carmy. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The entire time after Claire is introduced, I felt like it was the perfect pairing as she too knew about having your career first and relationships second. They even talked about how similar emergency medicine can be to running a restaurant in some ways. 

kinda wish they hadn’t introduced this kind of conflict into the show. 

6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Where has Bachrach been hiding for 20+ years? Holy shit, this guy is a star. 

He was in the punisher show with Mikey, he was in Girls, and he was in The Lake House. 

plus he squeezed in a couple of eps of Andor in between seasons of the bear. 

hell, he was in the royal tenenbaums and American splendor. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

He was in the punisher show with Mikey, he was in Girls, and he was in The Lake House. 

plus he squeezed in a couple of eps of Andor in between seasons of the bear. 

hell, he was in the royal tenenbaums and American splendor. 

he was also a great character as one of the investigative journalists in the dropout.

• Hook 'Em 1