"the bear" - new series on fx

henrygandorf

Holy shit

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Probably so. We went at it a couple more times but she was a senior and left after graduating. She smelled bad too. Not as bad as the ones that worked at McDonald’s. Got a handy from a prep girl in the walk-in one morning before anyone else showed up. A week later she put the same hand in a lettuce shredder and never returned. The manager made me wash the blood and finger shreds out of the lettuce and put the tub in the walk-in. I’ve never had a Big Mac since.

Can't wait to watch it, but it looks like I'll have to wait.

I don't know how much of the show is actually shot at Mr. Beef on Orleans, but that's always been my favorite Italian Beef joint. Everyone has an opinion and a favorite Italian beef joint. I wasn't that excited when Al's Italian Beef opened in Dallas and it shut down pretty quickly. Portillo's was supposed to open up in the Colony, but I think the pandemic put the kibosh on those plans. The best local Italian beef was Taste of Chicago" in Addison on Midway, but it is "temporarily closed," and has been for a while. I don't think it's re-opening. Sorry to derail show talk with Italian beef talk.

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I don't know how much of the show is actually shot at Mr. Beef on Orleans, but that's always been my favorite Italian Beef joint. Everyone has an opinion and a favorite Italian beef joint. I wasn't that excited when Al's Italian Beef opened in Dallas and it shut down pretty quickly. Portillo's was supposed to open up in the Colony, but I think the pandemic put the kibosh on those plans. The best local Italian beef was Taste of Chicago" in Addison on Midway, but it is "temporarily closed," and has been for a while. I don't think it's re-opening. Sorry to derail show talk with Italian beef talk.

Based solely on this show I spent about half an hour on Google trying to find an Italian beef in Dallas. Read about all of those places and saw none of them were open. Ended up at Jimmy’s Food Store and got it to go. I’ve never been to Chicago, so I didn’t have anything to compare it to, but it was pretty damn good…and hot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Got a handy from a prep girl in the walk-in one morning before anyone else showed up. A week later she put the same hand in a lettuce shredder and never returned.

The lengths some people will go to to avoid having to give you another handy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

Worked at the Black Eyed Pea near Town and Country mall in Houston for a few months when I was 19. Did a bunch of whippets in the walk-in at the beginning of a shift. A coworker went in a little while later and all of the whip cream from those cans had leaked out of the cans and gotten everywhere. I didn't fess up, but I did help with the cleanup. 

10 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

Based solely on this show I spent about half an hour on Google trying to find an Italian beef in Dallas. Read about all of those places and saw none of them were open. Ended up at Jimmy’s Food Store and got it to go. I’ve never been to Chicago, so I didn’t have anything to compare it to, but it was pretty damn good…and hot. 

Jimmy’s is great.  it’s an institution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

11 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/2022/07/22/5-dallas-italian-beef-sandwiches-to-eat-while-watching-the-bear-on-hulu/

The pennant flags flap in the furnace-hot wind through the empty Lowe’s parking lot in Richardson. It’s lunchtime, and TJ’s Dawg House truck has its serving window propped open and grill hissing. The parking lot’s enormous, and the truck is a lipstick red and cartoon sun yellow rectangle in the center of the vast concrete prairie like a LEGO stuck in the middle of a gray carpet. It’s technicolor in the middle of a black and white movie. Thomas Chelak is perched in the window.

“You’re not in electrical are you?” he asks, and I shake my head because my skills are best used to demolish a gravy-soaked sandwich. “Ah, no worries, I thought I recognized you,” he laughs. “What can I get you?”

Always order an Italian beef at TJ’s Dawg House. Hot dogs are buttery and great, but the gravy bathed-Italian beef is something louder. It’s as old school as a Foghat album. The gravy washes the bread, the giardiniera pops and shimmies, and the beef, shaved into panes, melts.

Good Italian beef sandwiches have never really been our thing in Dallas. Chicago-style hot dog joints, with Italian beef sandwiches on the menu, land and depart as quickly as Southwest planes in our city. But there’s recent interest as more people watch The Bear on Hulu. The hit show follows a young, Noma-trained chef as he takes the wheel of his brother’s Italian beef joint in the heart of Chicago.

Jimmy’s Food Store has had old-school Italian beef on its menu for years, sporting the classic components of giardiniera (sport peppers, pickled crunchy veggies) on sheer-sliced Vienna Beef doused in salty gravy. During the pandemic, they offered Italian beef kits for takeaway. Cheese? Jimmy’s blankets their roll with sharp provolone. It magmas to the bread under the wash of gravy. It’s classic Chicago street food in a Dallas Italian market that will only set you back $10. For a couple more dollars, you can have them double the amount of beef.

More recently, some real-deal Chicago sandwiches — the kind with scratch gravy — have found their way to Dallas. Portillo’s Beef Bus, a food truck version of the actually-good, Chicago-born chain Portillo’s, is on its last leg of a Dallas trip. You can find the bus in the Colony through July 22, and it ends its tour in Denton at the great Harvest House bar. The Beef Bus portends the grand opening of a brick-and-mortar Portillo’s hot dog shop in the city limits (and more).

At Easy Slider on Main Street, the special of the month is literally named The Bear. Owners Caroline Perini and Miley Holmes’ version of the classic sub means beef braised for eight hours, floating with plenty of Italian seasonings and pepperoncini peppers, carrots, and celery. They make sure the sandwich is “wet,” swept through gravy, before it reaches your hands.

Grab this one from their Deep Ellum spot or their roving food trucks soon —it’s the special as long as it’s July here in Dallas. Fair warning, Easy Slider has one amendment to the classic ingredients:

“We do a not-so-traditional horseradish cream sauce because we love it and we’re Texan,” Perini says.

Easy Slider restaurant created 'The Bear' Italian beef sandwich. (Photo by Adriana Lherrrera)(Easy Slider)

A true blue, Chicago-raised Italian beef can also be found at New York Sub. Chef Andrew Kelley raised the sub shop from the grave a handful of years ago and has since electrified the menu with knockout brisket pastrami and an Italian beef that will drop you into downtown Chicago.

Kelley’s gravy is dreamy. He chops whole florets of garlic in half and drops them it in a simmering mirepoix with rosemary and thyme. It roils low and slow with beef stock. There’s a heap of spicy, pickled peppers, and the bread softens and fades into the gravy. There are few that are comparable in Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Worked at the Black Eyed Pea near Town and Country mall in Houston for a few months when I was 19. Did a bunch of whippets in the walk-in at the beginning of a shift. A coworker went in a little while later and all of the whip cream from those cans had leaked out of the cans and gotten everywhere. I didn't fess up, but I did help with the cleanup. 

One Alaska patrol we had a new messcook that found our 3 month supply of whipped cream. I think he wiped it out in a week. Our strawberry shortcake was shit.

On 8/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, Bateshorn said:

I mean if you haven't fucked, fought, or cried in the walk in, did you REALLY work in the industry?

I got fired for sticking my fingers in the pickle slicer.  I got fired, she got fired too. It was a bad deal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Wasn’t there a scene in an early episode with Carmy bitching to the older guy about getting tomatoes in smaller cans rather than larger more efficient cabs?

I loved this, but also feels like this could be great as a 1 and done show.

Edited by htown85
Typo

2 hours ago, htown85 said:

Wasn’t there a scene in an early episode with Carmy bitching to the older guy about getting tomatoes in smaller cans rather than larger more efficient cabs?

There was, Carm asked why his brother didn't buy the larger cans, and the guy said that he didn't know but they never used tomatoes anyway.

Every dish from the first season and recipes to try to replicate them. 

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7992234/every-dish-they-make-on-the-bear-plus-recipes/

From the article, it seems like it’s just links to recipes sort of related to ones they already had on their site. It looks more like clickbait to get traffic due to the show’s popularity.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Every dish from the first season and recipes to try to replicate them. 

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7992234/every-dish-they-make-on-the-bear-plus-recipes/

Did you read the article and the recipes? They took the dishes from the show and present their own recipe that might or might not be somewhat analogous.

Sorry but chicken doesn’t make a Mikey’s bracciole. A Chicago dog replaced by a vegan carrot dog? Family spaghetti doesn’t have meat. The recipe I want is not close to Sugar’s Chicken picatta.

There is a podcast of the two culinary consultants for the show that cook some of the recipes.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:17 AM, shadow_operative said:

i just wanted to stop by and make sure that all of you guys are doing ok. it can be extremely traumatizing to watch this show, so please, take a mental health break between each episode that you watch. take care of yourselves guys. 💜

F6E6EC4F-357E-4696-8499-9A92D572DA52.thumb.jpeg.2f1c90e68ca271c55d77f437967497a7.jpeg

43D69AAF-8B29-4102-A94F-9838834F428B.jpeg

ABFC2346-8CA3-41BA-8F42-362F288F2845.jpeg

6B8593C7-4229-4700-801E-E14820DD027E.jpeg

8C0A6636-88CD-427B-8D09-F620AF149286.jpeg

D0CA57E0-7A80-42B4-8796-154E4DB25575.jpeg

E4D45185-6F33-43F0-ADC8-BCFBA7B95ADA.jpeg

B6FCE15F-804E-4BB8-8D7D-A1EECCE4D52F.jpeg

I’m not reading all that, but if fucking skanky waitresses as a coping technique is listed, then sign me up for therapy. 

A fantastic Italian beef combo with Italian sausage. Dipped, hot, sweet. Add cheese. From Weinbergers Deli, the best sandwiches in DFW and kinda set up like the joint in The Bear. If you’ve never been give it a visit. Great Chicago dogs, gyros, bahn mi, meatball Parma, you name it.5450c1b67f8d6ed7a7d4b126dab56ddd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

As a result of the success of The Bear I'm currently writing a screenplay based on a fictional central Texas man whose dream is to create the world's best bbq brisket and beef ribs, and hones his art at home before taking it to the public via a food trailer on a shitty vacant lot near a shitty skanky strip club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the series, it was awesome. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that was getting anxiety from all of the tension. I watched the first two episodes before bed and it made too high strung to fall asleep.

Question, was the head chef giving Bear shit Jeff Winger?

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/8/2022 at 10:26 PM, Texzilla58 said:

A fantastic Italian beef combo with Italian sausage. Dipped, hot, sweet. Add cheese. From Weinbergers Deli, the best sandwiches in DFW and kinda set up like the joint in The Bear. If you’ve never been give it a visit. Great Chicago dogs, gyros, bahn mi, meatball Parma, you name it.5450c1b67f8d6ed7a7d4b126dab56ddd.jpg

Better than Jimmy's?

steve-buscemi-fuck-all-that.gif

Finished this last night. Holy shit that was a great short season. Episode 7 is up there for me with some of the most tense shows in modern TV history. The sound just builds and builds, the non-stop churn of the receipt printer, Richie and Sydney going back and forth, Marcus wasting time on the donut instead of getting his cakes ready until it all explodes. Every character does a great job in this series. Each plays their part really well. If this doesn't win all the awards, I'll be supremely shocked. Can't wait for season 2. I think the idea with be to sell the spot to Cicero and then open The Bear close by. That way Cicero gets his money back and the crew can take Mikey's money and make the new spot be a fresh start without all the history of Carmy's family. Fuck that ending made me supremely happy even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense but mental illness makes you do strange shit. Whole series feels like a love letter to Chicago, acknowledging all its flaws. 

Edited by mdmost

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just had my wisdom teeth removed so I spent my Monday recovering and binged this. 

Now I want an Italian Beef but can’t eat solid foods. 

Follow your instructions or you’ll get a dry socket and want someone to shoot you in the head. My DiL is a dentist and I’ve heard the screams from a dry socket.

No smoking. No vaping. No sucking on a straw. No eating until told to. Do your saline rinses.