The destruction of America's public education system

Captainant

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

The SPED coordinator should have approximately 130 students (10% of 1300 total student at FBMS) and how can they manage and implement that many IEPs.    It is intentional fuckery.  Drive away the parents of SPED, push them private and then declare how we have only 8.5% of the population in SPED relative to the national average.  We are Texans.  We are exceptional(ly stupid and corrupt)!

We are friends with a couple of SPED teachers, and they are somewhat convinced that the state on some level is trying its best to drive SPED students and parents away from public schools.  They feel like it’s gotten worse after COVID.  It’s not any one thing, but more like death by a thousand cuts.  They just feel like the system is working against them and the kids and the parents. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He's saying that he hates the idea of kids from non-religious families hobnobbing as peers with his children being raised to worship god and ask no questions. Basically, NIMBY, but for religious schools. He doesn't want those filthy philistines flooding his christian school and potentially exposing his children to outside ideas. 

He doesn’t want those non-religious kids banging his religious kids.

13 minutes ago, F250 said:

He prefers his kids not mingle with heathens at their private school.

I read that as “He prefers his kids not mingle with Heathers at their private school.”

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are friends with a couple of SPED teachers, and they are somewhat convinced that the state on some level is trying its best to drive SPED students and parents away from public schools.

I think someone among the GOP elites has decided “you know what, we should do school like Louisiana.  Those Cajuns got it figured out!”

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

In a time where Abbott and crew mandates elementary schools would have armed security guards on campus... without fully funding their hiring... and districts cutting librarians to save money, I'd thought I'd update that in my district, Fort Bend ISD, there have already been 2 security guards "removed from campuses" from leaving their firearms unattended.

Back in the late 80s and in the early 90s, there were a group of students who left rifles and other hunting gear in their cars in the Dulles student parking lot because they’d go hunting out at one of the kid’s family ranch and would leave straight from school over a long weekend so this kind of hits home.  Or so I was told.  
Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

One of my wife’s friends is a teacher at Clements and her kids go there, and she was shocked when I mentioned it one time, and I was not surprised by her reaction because of course somebody from Clements would be shocked by something like that.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

He's saying that he hates the idea of kids from non-religious families hobnobbing as peers with his children being raised to worship god and ask no questions. Basically, NIMBY, but for religious schools. He doesn't want those filthy philistines flooding his christian school and potentially exposing his children to outside ideas. 

Nah, that's not a fair characterization.

I think it's a bad fit to take non-religious (not my words) kids and lie about goals/desires to go to a school that is actively trying to cultivate and maintain an aesthetic and culture of learning and discipleship that the non-religious, at best, finds neutral and ambivalence in, and at worst, is hostile and undermining.

Most Christ-based private schools (and I'll disregard the parochial schools here because I know that there is a big range, some of them are basically public-lite and don't care) have a statement of faith you have to sign (along with some sort of pastor/church references) during enrollment with caveats that say if this changes you should leave the school system, etc.. Actively lying on that seems weird to me.

The other side of the coin is that it's a disservice to the overtly and explicitly stated mission of the school if you have a kid (or, more realistically, parents) who are not interested in a faith based environment and education, as that can create "bad apples" of good kids by virtue of trying to shoehorn them into an environment they are suited for or feel included in, and these can turn into distractions and have the potential to be disruptive. I've seen it once or twice in my many, many years.

Again, it's weird to me to force your kids to be closeted as agnostic/non-religious/atheist but force them to go to a faith-based school with chapel and biblical studies and a huge percentage of the student population be believers. Seems like it would be miserable for the kid. But I guess any port in a storm for the non-religious.

Like I said, doesn't seem like a great fit for either side unless you find a more liberal private school who needs the money in your area.

Which is why I'm 100% against vouchers and why I believe it's whole-heartedly better to fix the public school system so the parents who want their kids to matriculate publicly feel safe and secure in sending their kids to their local school rather than fitting a square peg in a round hole for the detriment of all (most likely).

Edited by BeardIP

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Nobody tell him that the longer he suppresses his kids the more they’ll rebel later. 

Proverbs 22:6, my friend.

But yes, the world is littered with good men and women who have wayward children and there wasn't much they could do about it. Tragedy abounds this side of Eden.

Edited by BeardIP

30 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Your life revolves around a fairy tale you moron.

No, no...unlike the 1,000s of gods who have been worshipped since the dawn of time, his god is the real deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

Actively lying on a statement of faith offends your sensibilities?  People have their own definitions of faith.  It is literally defined in the bible as " the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen."

If I'm hoping to get away from the darkies and they are unseen in my child's school; that signature is 100% legit, at least from the perspective of the parent.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

If I'm hoping to get away from the darkies and they are unseen in my child's school; that signature is 100% legit, at least from the perspective of the parent.

Well I'm thankful we are at the point where we can drop the pretense and acknowledge the growing and intensifying tend of using """religious freedom""" as justification for segregation 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Well I'm thankful we are at the point where we can drop the pretense and acknowledge the growing and intensifying tend of using """religious freedom""" as justification for segregation 

There are many more layers, but that is a predominant one that some folks like to pretend doesn't exist.  It's like the inverse of faith, if you will.

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now, onto the specific bullshit. First, your notion that "most" christ-based private schools make you sign a statement of faith.  I've never had to sign a statement of faith, and I'd never heard of statement of faith until your post, so I googled it. And what I learned is that there isn't a statement of faith required by all of the major, respected, and well known private schools in Houston. I may have missed a few, but I hit the big ones, and it was a big 0-fer. Google redirected me to all of their website's Missions, most of which talk about a balance between religion and science and reason. The ones that did show a statement of faith were most of the fucking quack factories I've never heard of, so rest easy, it looks like your children won't be rubbing elbows with mine any time soon. 

The fundagellical private school I did elementary school in had everyone sign a statement of faith that included wording to let them kick you out and keep your money if you were "unchristlike". I came across it in my parents old school stuff that they kept, and it was a bit of a shock to read. If someone is involved with something that requires them to sign a document proving how faithful they are, there's a good chance they're involved in some crazy.

And does anyone else find it ironic that they make you PROVE your faith, rather than taking it on faith? Those little logical inconsistencies are always fun

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The fundagellical private school I did elementary school in had everyone sign a statement of faith that included wording to let them kick you out and keep your money if you were "unchristlike". I came across it in my parents old school stuff that they kept, and it was a bit of a shock to read. If someone is involved with something that requires them to sign a document proving how faithful they are, there's a good chance they're involved in some crazy.

And does anyone else find it ironic that they make you PROVE your faith, rather than taking it on faith? Those little logical inconsistencies are always fun

Ironic is one word for it, illustrative is also accurate.

I love my kid's school. I love that the fact that their mission statent has six bullet points, only one of them talks about religion, and that one bullet point highlights christian spiritual and moral guidance to help instill in children self-confidence, respect, and happiness. 

The other bullet points seem pretty fucking woke, though: diversity, develop emotional health and well-being, academic achievement, contributing to the social/cultural/economic fabric of Houston, sportsmanship and physical health and education. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Miles just announced that the principals of both Carnegie Vanguard High School and HSPVA are going to be placed on the to be fired list. Oh by the way Carnegie Vanguard High School is currently ranked as the 5th best public high school in the state and #35 Nationally according the the US News & World Report rankings. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

So it would appear Greg Abbott campaigned against his anti-vouchers reps on border security, so we can pay some bubba 328 million dollars in 4 years to run the voucher program.

None of this actually has to be true, but would be possible under the bill, I just need you mad about it and telling everyone you know about it.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I don't even care about the people involved.  The math sucks and we get fucked, both in the short-term( taxes/ school funding) and long term( educating our populace.)

Everything is a fucking grift.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I don't even care about the people involved.  The math sucks and we get fucked, both in the short-term( taxes/ school funding) and long term( educating our populace.)

That we’re actually considering codifying legislation that would help well off parents send their kid to Jesuit is mind boggling boggling.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/29/2024 at 7:49 PM, BeardIP said:

Proverbs 22:6, my friend.

But yes, the world is littered with good men and women who have wayward children and there wasn't much they could do about it. Tragedy abounds this side of Eden.

Yep. So, killing those lil fuckers was advised.

Gee I wonder what political party keeps doing this and which one idiots keep voting for?
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

My wife is close to giving up. She went looking for homes in Katy on the weekend. Our daughter was excited, but my wife really dislikes it there.

I believe Katy just elected a group of butters to their school board. So look out. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

33 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Gee I wonder what political party keeps doing this and which one idiots keep voting for?

Wanna go there?  Who cannot convey a more compelling message about education, to the point that the voucher bullshit even gets considered?

But yeah, wave the fucking team colors. That’s so gotdam productive 

On 2/29/2024 at 7:46 PM, BeardIP said:

Nah, that's not a fair characterization.

I think it's a bad fit to take non-religious (not my words) kids and lie about goals/desires to go to a school that is actively trying to cultivate and maintain an aesthetic and culture of learning and discipleship that the non-religious, at best, finds neutral and ambivalence in, and at worst, is hostile and undermining.

Most Christ-based private schools (and I'll disregard the parochial schools here because I know that there is a big range, some of them are basically public-lite and don't care) have a statement of faith you have to sign (along with some sort of pastor/church references) during enrollment with caveats that say if this changes you should leave the school system, etc.. Actively lying on that seems weird to me.

The other side of the coin is that it's a disservice to the overtly and explicitly stated mission of the school if you have a kid (or, more realistically, parents) who are not interested in a faith based environment and education, as that can create "bad apples" of good kids by virtue of trying to shoehorn them into an environment they are suited for or feel included in, and these can turn into distractions and have the potential to be disruptive. I've seen it once or twice in my many, many years.

Again, it's weird to me to force your kids to be closeted as agnostic/non-religious/atheist but force them to go to a faith-based school with chapel and biblical studies and a huge percentage of the student population be believers. Seems like it would be miserable for the kid. But I guess any port in a storm for the non-religious.

Like I said, doesn't seem like a great fit for either side unless you find a more liberal private school who needs the money in your area.

Which is why I'm 100% against vouchers and why I believe it's whole-heartedly better to fix the public school system so the parents who want their kids to matriculate publicly feel safe and secure in sending their kids to their local school rather than fitting a square peg in a round hole for the detriment of all (most likely).

Aren't most parochial schools generally considered leaps and bounds better than "Christ-based religious schools" both academically and reputationally? I worked with a Jewish guy from Philadelphia who knew every book of the Bible ten times better than my Baylor Alum ass from his time at a parochial school. He joked that most of the Jews in Philadelphia went to these schools and came out better Catholics than the Catholics that went to public school. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Aren't most parochial schools generally considered leaps and bounds better than "Christ-based religious schools" both academically and reputationally? I worked with a Jewish guy from Philadelphia who knew every book of the Bible ten times better than my Baylor Alum ass from his time at a parochial school. He joked that most of the Jews in Philadelphia went to these schools and came out better Catholics than the Catholics that went to public school. 

Not if actual academics is your priority. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Really? I would have thought that the big boys in the parochial scene would be considered much more rigorous than the various FREEDOM!!! religious schools.

2 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Really? I would have thought that the big boys in the parochial scene would be considered much more rigorous than the various FREEDOM!!! religious schools.

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Huh?  The higher-end parochials (The Jesuit schools, Episcopal School of Dallas, etc.) have incredibly strong academic reputations for a reason.  Among them being decades/centuries of experience with genuine academic rigor and the like.  Unlike Southwestern Hill Country Freedom Eagle Jesus Gun Liberty Academy, founded 2017.

FTR, I went to a Jesuit school, and my parents' reasoning was damned well the academic quality, not the fact that we had a theology curriculum.    And also FTR, I don't believe that we should divert any public dollars to private schools.  Public schools are a community resource, necessary for both individual and the common good, AND free from the requirement/indoctrination into any faith tradition (I have high praise for Jesuit, but let's not kid ourselves, they damn well tried to make a good Catholic outta me.  In terms of church membership, they failed).

• Hook 'Em 5

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Huh?  The higher-end parochials (The Jesuit schools, Episcopal School of Dallas, etc.) have incredibly strong academic reputations for a reason.  Among them being decades/centuries of experience with genuine academic rigor and the like.  Unlike Southwestern Hill Country Freedom Eagle Jesus Gun Liberty Academy, founded 2017.

FTR, I went to a Jesuit school, and my parents' reasoning was damned well the academic quality, not the fact that we had a theology curriculum.    And also FTR, I don't believe that we should divert any public dollars to private schools.  Public schools are a community resource, necessary for both individual and the common good, AND free from the requirement/indoctrination into any faith tradition (I have high praise for Jesuit, but let's not kid ourselves, they damn well tried to make a good Catholic outta me.  In terms of church membership, they failed).

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but yes they have  much higher standards. I was saying the OP wasn’t actually interested in good academics as his priority. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Wanna go there?  Who cannot convey a more compelling message about education, to the point that the voucher bullshit even gets considered?
But yeah, wave the fucking team colors. That’s so gotdam productive 
I know we're on the same side of this fight, but don't accuse the Dems of dropping the ball regarding messaging. You're falling into the both sides suck trap.

There's plenty of compelling messaging from the Dems, it's just falling on deaf ears.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0fTfUYNiTK/?igsh=MTlsOXprdHN1MnN1cQ==
  • Hook 'Em 4