2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

21 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I'd like to see Card play behind the shit line and Ewers play behind the freshman line during the scrimmage.  Can Hayden Conner play center?  He seems to be pretty versatile.

Hayden is a bright guy -- wondering if he could handle the calls for blocking if he played guard ??

• Hook 'Em 1

Hayden is a bright guy -- wondering if he could handle the calls for blocking if he played guard ??

So if gets hurt or has to move to tackle? So now you have a Center that couldn’t previously handle it now has to do it? Or a different guard? That isn’t the same as your C getting hurt.

If line calls are you center’s job and he can’t do it, there better be some serious value in other areas being brought to the table. And consistency better be one of them.

49 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Hookah Horns on IT:

Got a couple notes from my sources that don't warrant their own thread so I'll throw them in here.

Coburn was playing with the 3s a lot yesterday.

Billingsley is looking really good and will be a dangerous weapon. Helm's blocking has been really good as well. And of course Sanders is going to be a stud.

QB is in a lot better shape overall than last year at this time. Card has made big strides with the deep ball, has been throwing some dimes, and is running a little ahead of Ewers going into scrimmage

Sounds like I’ll be dining on poke bowls all through September.  Thanks @closetojumping

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Fud said:

You mean schools with entrenched starters?

Bama just had a competition between a program guy and a 5* true freshman a couple of years ago

Michigan is playing pretend between who is better between their 5 star super talent and a guy who started last year and isn’t nearly as good. Spoiler alert - the super talented younger guy will win out. 

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Banks will be in the starting line up after the 2nd scrimmage. 

Yeah, that's not good enough. Banks, or another freshman OL but preferably him, needs to be moved to 1st team on the DC after the first scrimmage in the week leading up to 8/20. And yes, it will be merited, sorry. The charade of keeping guys that barely qualify as JAGS ahead of 5 star animals that everyone wanted will need to end ahead of scrimmage #2 at least in one OL spot. There isn't a viable defense for not doing so outside of platitudes about team morale (the players aren't stupid and want the best players on the field) or general pearl-clutching valuing terrible talent with experience over exceptional talent in need of experience.

This is a "show me" level event. People here can shriek and whine over their perception that that is wildly stupid or irresponsible or herrrrrrrrderrrrrrrfuckingBMDZ pushing poor SLS around!!! OMGZ!!! and they'll all be wrong. This is the way. Sarkisian knows as much. Ewers and/or Banks need to visibly involved with why there should be optimism with this season and with NIL.

2 hours ago, Duane Moore said:

At least Neyor should show them that some of their NIL money was well spent. 

Neyor won't be moving the needle. Billingham and Hall won't be moving the needle. Milton, Watts, and James Hyphen Madison won't be moving it either. 

This also isn't about showing people what is happening with their NIL spend. You know why? These guys haven't spent a fucking dime yet. That's the point. The major money needs to start participating if you guys want to have the absolute competitive advantage in NIL across sports, but starting in FB and hoops, against all enemies. 

If a bunch of the BMDs show up and see Card running 1st team and Karic and Jones at 1st team LT/RT, go ahead and light your cigarettes now, gents. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

Hookah Horns on IT:

Got a couple notes from my sources that don't warrant their own thread so I'll throw them in here.

Coburn was playing with the 3s a lot yesterday.

Billingsley is looking really good and will be a dangerous weapon. Helm's blocking has been really good as well. And of course Sanders is going to be a stud.

QB is in a lot better shape overall than last year at this time. Card has made big strides with the deep ball, has been throwing some dimes, and is running a little ahead of Ewers going into scrimmage

IT continues to pimp Card so hard. At this point it should be embarrassing 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

@closetojumping, I agree with the sentiment in that I certainly want the best players on the field no matter what, but your last couple posts teeter on the edge of the type of program micromanaging that has often been the subject of ridicule in the past. It's often cited as a lingering issue holding the program back and dissuading potential coaching hires. Outsider expectations (by that I mean really anyone outside the locker room, boosters included) on personnel decisions and timing for them being made. General entitlement to being appeased stemming from outsiders' status as a donor or having some other position of influence. 

IMO, a guy was hired to lead the program in the locker and film rooms and on the field. His and the outsiders' interests are fully aligned in maximizing the program's potential,  ultimate goals being wins on the field - in turn, he keeps his job. Give him all the ancillary tools needed to excel (facilities, NIL, etc.), but ultimately trust your CEO to execute his plan to achieve that ultimate goal, or, if you don't, push him out the plane with his golden chute. What you're describing seems like one where trust in the CEO is lacking but he is kept around and micromanaged/influenced to fill the void. Losing formula. 

Just my opinion. Fully expecting to be insulted using some words I'll have to Google. 

That's the point. Seven Loss Steve can do whatever the fuck he wants. If he's dumb enough to play the stupid charade out on several roles because of his own mysterious druthers, more power to him. I don't think that's going to happen based on the tea leaves I'm reading, but it's certainly a possibility.

Look, the guy, like all of the other guys before him, got to do whatever he wanted last year. And what he did was go 5-7 while mooning the fanbase. He wasn't going to land Banks, Williams, Neto, or Agbo. Ewers was going to Tech. Neyor to Tenn. Worthy to USC. That shit I served witness to, along with others. 

But guess what happened? Help was asked for and help was given. You want that to not only continue but grow? Show results and productivity. That works in the exact same way everywhere else. Saban went out and publicly asked for help. Ryan Day did the same. Fisher has BrickTop into him in ways that would make Turkish nervous. 

This is very much not a Texas thing. It's also not a college football thing. I'm not the one being unrealistic here. Your post smacks of staggering naivete, as do any others carrying the same sentiment on this thread. I'm not calling for anything odd. True freshman start everywhere. Transfer QBs come in and take the reins all the time. This isn't about day 1 without pads. This is about 10-12 practices in, with a scrimmage behind them, that the staff makes visible changes that influence opinions and wallets not as manipulations, but because those changes are obviously correct with anyone with a pulse and a football IQ above room temperature.

This is about getting right or getting fucked. Karic, Card and Jones aren't getting right, and insisting on playing them means that we're all getting fucked. And, really, you know that. 

• Hook 'Em 6

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

IT continues to pimp Card so hard. At this point it should be embarrassing 

Believe that insider is on most 9.95 sites.

Aleo I haven’t seen one 9.95 site say Ewers is running away with it so they I don’t think what they are reporting is egregious.

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's a large difference between wanting the clearly better player to be starting by 3 weeks into fall camp and wailing all over the thread because he wasn't inserted into the starting lineup for the very first practice. Meaning before he'd ever actually practiced and had an opportunity to show that he actually is the better player. 

This is entirely too reasonable a point. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's the point. Seven Loss Steve can do whatever the fuck he wants. If he's dumb enough to play the stupid charade out on several roles because of his own mysterious druthers, more power to him. I don't think that's going to happen based on the tea leaves I'm reading, but it's certainly a possibility.

Look, the guy, like all of the other guys before him, got to do whatever he wanted last year. And what he did was go 5-7 while mooning the fanbase. He wasn't going to land Banks, Williams, Neto, or Agbo. Ewers was going to Tech. Neyor to Tenn. Worthy to USC. That shit I served witness to, along with others. 

But guess what happened? Help was asked for and help was given. You want that to not only continue but grow? Show results and productivity. That works in the exact same way everywhere else. Saban went out and publicly asked for help. Ryan Day did the same. Fisher has BrickTop into him in ways that would make Turkish nervous. 

This is very much not a Texas thing. It's also not a college football thing. I'm not the one being unrealistic here. Your post smacks of staggering naivete, as do any others carrying the same sentiment on this thread. I'm not calling for anything odd. True freshman start everywhere. Transfer QBs come in and take the reins all the time. This isn't about day 1 without pads. This is about 10-12 practices in, with a scrimmage behind them, that the staff makes visible changes that influence opinions and wallets not as manipulations, but because those changes are obviously correct with anyone with a pulse and a football IQ above room temperature.

This is about getting right or getting fucked. Karic, Card and Jones aren't getting right, and insisting on playing them means that we're all getting fucked. And, really, you know that. 

Appreciate the response. Staggering Naivete would be a solid band name. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@closetojumping will you or any of the HWH/CFC people be at that scrimmage to push NIL efforts and show them how it was used to get the young guys you’re advocating for?

That's not what it's for, but we also don't give. A shit if the checks come to us vs them just writing them and doing their own shit. As long as it starts happening. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's not what it's for, but we also don't give. A shit if the checks come to us vs them just writing them and doing their own shit. As long as it starts happening. 

Gotcha. Just think it would be smart of the school as a way to indirectly help you guys out in getting those checks to start happening. Always good to faces to faces and some handshakes. 

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

Over/under on how many things @derpyhorndog had/will have to google?

@derpyhorndog find out what they mean when they say Alabama Hot Pocket. 

• Haha 1

I was questioning why they moved Angilau to RG but now with the possible move to center it makes sense. Keep Conner at LG and then if Angilau wins the center job you can put a freshman at that RG spot and not have to worry about possibly two freshman on the left side 

Edited by OB3

6 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Over/under on how many things @derpyhorndog had/will have to google?

He started off strong with the "druthers" drop and Snatch reference but lost steam going into the home stretch. 

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@derpyhorndog find out what they mean when they say Alabama Hot Pocket. 

Yeah...no way I'm typing those words into the magic toaster while connected to work internet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's a large difference between wanting the clearly better player to be starting by 3 weeks into fall camp and wailing all over the thread because he wasn't inserted into the starting lineup for the very first practice. Meaning before he'd ever actually practiced and had an opportunity to show that he actually is the better player. 

Yeah.  It's weird the hand-wringing going on this week.  With pads going on, now is the time to experiment and get a broad look at everyone on the team.  Who you are playing next to or whatever 9.95ers want to report as a "depth chart" or "position changes" doesn't really mean anything right now.

Also, we'll probably face 2 or less freshman OL all this season.  They are a rarity.  I'm sure there's a freshman better than Karic, I'm not sure there's 3 better than Majors/Jones/Karic.  Not Week 1, and probably not this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Yeah.  It's weird the hand-wringing going on this week.  With pads going on, now is the time to experiment and get a broad look at everyone on the team.  Who you are playing next to or whatever 9.95ers want to report as a "depth chart" or "position changes" doesn't really mean anything right now.

Also, we'll probably face 2 or less freshman OL all this season.  They are a rarity.  I'm sure there's a freshman better than Karic, I'm not sure there's 3 better than Majors/Jones/Karic.  Not Week 1, and probably not this year.

Yeah, there are definitely freshmen better than Jones and Karic right now.

Majors I'm rather meh on but understand the mental side of that position.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

There is, but that isnt what has been discussed here or actually transpired. People are clamoring for the a freshmen to be in the 1st unit now, which is couple days into camp (1 day with pads). Freshmen reported to campus in June and coaches have had time with them prior to camp. It is just odd the hand wringing over someone wanting freshmen not to have to start at the bottom and 3 days later the hand wringing over no freshmen being in the first unit. It is completely manic. Its peak off-season Surly

Edited by Codaxx

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There is, but that isnt what has been discussed here or actually transpired. People are clamoring for the a freshmen to be in the 1st unit now, which is couple days into camp (1 day with pads). Freshmen reported to campus in June and coaches have had time with them prior to camp. It is just odd the hand wringing over someone wanting freshmen not to have to start at the bottom and 3 days later the hand wringing over no freshmen being in the first unit. It is completely manic. Its peak off-season Surly

It is what's transpired and you're committing a common message board fallacy of thinking everyone says the same thing all the time. There are some people saying each of those things but that doesn't mean it's the same people. 

30 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Wait you understood that sentence? Because I sure didn't.

Jimbo = Turkish (Snatch character indebted to Bricktop); ATM NIL boosters = Bricktop (character who feeds people that cross him to pigs). Yes, I did have to Google this. 

Spoiler

Mr. Pulford, better known as Brick Top, is the main antagonist in the 2000 crime-comedy film Snatch.

He is a ruthless gangster who owns an illegal betting shop and presides over most of the local gambling rackets, including unlicensed boxing, forcing protagonists Turkish and Tommy to deal with him in order to make their own gaming venture a success. Unfortunately, Brick Top is in the habit of feeding people who displease him to a pack of hungry pigs - and it is not long before the two protagonists start to get on his nerves.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

proper.gif.47b2baa0e5ccb1b642e7550945674d63.gif

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Just to be clear- not starting just not behind Merrill and his merry band of walk ons. 

7 minutes ago, derpyhorndog said:

Jimbo = Turkish (Snatch character indebted to Bricktop); ATM NIL boosters = Bricktop (character who feeds people that cross him to pigs). Yes, I did have to Google this. 

Hide contents

Mr. Pulford, better known as Brick Top, is the main antagonist in the 2000 crime-comedy film Snatch.

He is a ruthless gangster who owns an illegal betting shop and presides over most of the local gambling rackets, including unlicensed boxing, forcing protagonists Turkish and Tommy to deal with him in order to make their own gaming venture a success. Unfortunately, Brick Top is in the habit of feeding people who displease him to a pack of hungry pigs - and it is not long before the two protagonists start to get on his nerves.

Ah, I got this and thought it was some obscure regional food chain metaphor: https://bricktops.com/