Missouri Water Park: “We aren’t comfortable with you people, ya birthday cancelled”

Pancho

3 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

Ok.  Now that I did a little more digging.  I can see why they cancelled the party.  The kid is an influencer.  He had this party last year for his birthday.  He did indeed advertise on his tik tok and other social media sites as this was Splash Bash 2.  Not racism.  They just didn't want shit to get out of hand.

Agreed. I didn’t do any research either. I don’t see racism so much as poorly handled by overwhelmed staff. The optics initially aren’t great but as mentioned this isn’t what it appears to be at all. Given the shit that’s come to light most venues under similar circumstances would have canceled the “bash.” Plenty of examples of racism all over. This one ain’t it. 

33 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

Pancho’s thread goals:

1) increase racism

2) Victimization

3) pure stupidity

You dumbass, no one said it was racism. Of course you couldn’t grasp that, which is standard for you people.

I agree with what someone said up thread that I’d side with the water park too but damn, they handled this poorly. This is where direct communication helps more that it hurts. Just be direct—“no you can’t get in because you violated this specific policy of ours.”  That’s not being racist. They made it worse by just saying “dainty us, we don’t feel comfortable!”

Well, CONTEXT!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You dumbass, no one said it was racism. Of course you couldn’t grasp that, which is standard for you people.

I agree with what someone said up thread that I’d side with the water park too but damn, they handled this poorly. This is where direct communication helps more that it hurts. Just be direct—“no you can’t get in because you violated this specific policy of ours.”  That’s not being racist. They made it worse by just saying “dainty us, we don’t feel comfortable!”

Well, CONTEXT!!! 

Dude, the tweet you posted said they were denied due to their skin color? I guess that's not racism now?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well, CONTEXT!!! 

Try being an alpha instead of a scared little pussy. You’ll find that positivity is better.

Quit living by what your Facebook and Twitter want you to see. Grow a pair and learn more about people in the world.

Solid comment when you said “you people.” You think you know what I am. That says a lot about you.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Well it appears some dumbass teen lifeguard posted something racially tinged, without official sanction.  And, I'm reasonably sure that one or more employees handling the cancellation said or implied some things.

It appears that the aggrieved family may have purposely ignored their phones for a minute there.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well it appears some dumbass teen lifeguard posted something racially tinged, without official sanction.  And, I'm reasonably sure that one or more employees handling the cancellation said or implied some things.

It appears that the aggrieved family may have purposely ignored their phones for a minute there.

Come on man, I need to know where to direct my faux outrage!

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Well, CONTEXT!!! 

I don't feel comfortable with letting kids drown because there are too many of them in a pool.  Do you?  

I was born there. But my family was all born in Texas and I moved to Texas at 6 months. I don’t remember much about Missouri…never visited it. I just know that one scene from National Lampoon’s Vacation and I feel like I’ve seen enough.

Kids are you are seeing all this plight? Roll em up! 

Edited by Nicole44

44 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The tweet said that, I didn’t. It was nowhere in my thread title either.

Can you read?

Come on dude, using "you people" in your thread title (a phrase which I did not hear the park staff explicitly say in the 29 second clip) is implying something. And the tweet you posted (with no further context or commentary) directly accuses the park of racism. 

Then in a follow-up post, you state the following:

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Well, CONTEXT!!! 

If the miscommunication angle is what angers you enough to create a thread about the matter, simply state that in your OP. But you didn't, nor did you post any additional background information about the social media advertising, the 2X attendance,  etc..., so don't get bent out of shape when people assume you agree with the purpose of the original tweet, which is clearly to accuse the park of being racist. If you disagree with the context of the tweet you posted, say so. 

This is also a perfect illustration of why social media is killing this country. 90% of the people that watch that video are going to be convinced that this park is a racist outfit, and aren't going to do any further research into the matter. Look at the first few replies in this thread. A 29 second clip is supposed to summarize an incident that played out over a couple of days? Its a bit difficult to hear what the lady says, because a few people are talking over her, but initially when they ask her what they are uncomfortable with, she replies "the outreach". She doesnt say "black people" or "you people". She also seems to explaining something at the end of the clip, but there are too many people talking at the same time for me to hear.

My guess is that at some point in the multiple messages left, or in the conversation before or after the 29 second clip, the water park did explain the party was cancelled due to the advertising on social media. Its possible they handled it poorly, or its possible they handled it appropriately, but its impossible to make any determination on the matter from a 29 second video clip. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Expecting 250 people, most of them teens, not to post an event on social media seems odd.

No shit.

That’s how our 16 year old neighbor’s “private” kegger wound up getting raided by the Wilco Sheriff’s deputies in June.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DaggerHorns said:

Try being an alpha instead of a scared little pussy. You’ll find that positivity is better.

Quit living by what your Facebook and Twitter want you to see. Grow a pair and learn more about people in the world.

Solid comment when you said “you people.” You think you know what I am. That says a lot about you.

Lol, No one is scared of your ass or the world.  You think you know what I am so that also says a lot about you 

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We weren’t already. Except Brat, I know Branson is a highly coveted vacation spot 

My family roots are in Missouri and I’ll visit the old hometowns. I actually lived in St. Louis 1954-57, but you couldn’t pay me enough to live there now.

46 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I don't feel comfortable with letting kids drown because there are too many of them in a pool.  Do you?  

Of course! 

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Come on dude, using "you people" in your thread title (a phrase which I did not hear the park staff explicitly say in the 29 second clip) is implying something. And the tweet you posted (with no further context or commentary) directly accuses the park of racism. 

If the miscommunication angle is what angers you enough to create a thread about the matter, simply state that in your OP. But you didn't, nor did you post any additional background information about the social media advertising, the 2X attendance,  etc..., so don't get bent out of shape when people assume you agree with the purpose of the original tweet, which is clearly to accuse the park of being racist. If you disagree with the context of the tweet you posted, say so. 

This is also a perfect illustration of why social media is killing this country. 90% of the people that watch that video are going to be convinced that this park is a racist outfit, and aren't going to do any further research into the matter. Look at the first few replies in this thread. A 29 second clip is supposed to summarize an incident that played out over a couple of days? Its a bit difficult to hear what the lady says, because a few people are talking over her, but initially when they ask her what they are uncomfortable with, she replies "the outreach". She doesnt say "black people" or "you people". She also seems to explaining something at the end of the clip, but there are too many people talking at the same time for me to hear.

My guess is that at some point in the multiple messages left, or in the conversation before or after the 29 second clip, the water park did explain the party was cancelled due to the advertising on social media. Its possible they handled it poorly, or its possible they handled it appropriately, but its impossible to make any determination on the matter from a 29 second video clip. 

Okay. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

00D0CF0B-0887-49AC-BBA3-1C2178E85CBD.gif.4f6e746ceecd3310d44f0f975304ffb4.gif

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

This. Regardless of what happened this is the correct response.

And Kansas, too, just to be sure.

Good deal. We didn’t want you people east of the state line, anyway. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Blotto said:

OP starts numerous threads on race.  Many of them are actual racism, this one turned out not to be.  No clue why he's going the "all I did was post a link.  I didn't imply anything" route.  Nobody is buying that.  

I agree with you on the social media killing us.  These folks are labeled as racist for life.  And that's what the people filming the video wanted.  They didn't get what they wanted, so they called someone racist in a video that went viral.  Teach those fuckers to never cross them again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

I'm gonna be 100% honest and say I have no idea what you're talking about here, but I feel like I saw it on the self-help shelf at Barnes & Noble for $29.99.

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well Abe, are you coming on the road trip?

we’ll save a box seat for you in Branson.

I wish I could, but I was informed that I must boycott the State of Missouri in order to continue to qualify as an Acceptable Person.  Aren't you aware that Twice Horn is reasonably sure that one or more employees handling the cancellation said or implied some things?  The only justifiable reason to travel to Missouri at this point would be to execute all involved in the cancellation.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

this was a clusterfuck of bad communication and the renters not abiding by their contracts and apparently avoiding communication based on the investigation...along with someone saying something stupid on video that was easily transformed into clickbait.  there is blame to go around based on the bolded parts below.

https://lstribune.net/index.php/2022/08/09/summit-waves-aquatic-facility-2/

Lee’s Summit Parks and Recreation (LSPR) has completed an internal review of the cancellation of a private event scheduled for August 6. The review identified missed processes and miscommunication that led to the cancellation. A sincere apology is owed to the Evans family and our Lee’s Summit community. LSPR strives to be a respectful and inclusive organization where all members of our community feel welcome and appreciated. Inappropriate language, social media posts and behavior are not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

The following is a summary of our investigation. On July 8, the renting party booked Summit Waves for a teen birthday party scheduled for Saturday, August 6 from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and indicated 250 attendees. According to the rental forms, the event would not be publicized via social media, and fees would not be charged to attend the event. It has been our experience, that social media marketing and/or ticket sales have the potential to increase event attendance beyond the number initially stated and can result in insufficient staffing and security. The “no” answers provided on the form by the booking party did not create concerns.

The rental form indicated that 10 – 15 chaperones would be in attendance and per the rental form, security consisting of officers from the Lee’s Summit Police Department or Jackson County Sheriff’s office is required. The cost of security is paid by the rental party but is arranged and booked by LSPR. Through our investigation, LSPR found that staff failed to arrange security for the event. On the evening of Thursday, August 4, Summit Waves staff was made aware of a social media post advertising an event called “Splash Blast 2” from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Summit Waves. On the morning of Friday, August 5, Summit Waves staff called the renting party, left a message inquiring about the social media post, and requested a return call. LSPR did not receive a return call.

On Saturday, August 6, Summit Waves staff received approximately 15 calls from parents with questions (cost, hours, parent attendance, etc.) about “Splash Blast 2” and the safety of the event. Summit Waves staff called the renting party two additional times on August 6 to address concerns. LSPR made the decision to cancel the event at 5 p.m. due to the inability to contact the renting party. Safety pertaining to the anticipated crowd size and the potential impact it might have on party guests and the staff was the sole reason for the cancellation.

The renting party returned the phone call to Summit Waves staff at approximately 5:30 pm. They were notified at that time of the cancellation and that LSPR would provide a full refund. The renting party arrived around 6:15 pm at which time LSPR staff reiterated the event was canceled. Staff and police stayed on-site until the crowd dispersed at approximately 8 p.m. Lee’s Summit Police estimated the crowd to be approximately 500 people between 7 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

On Sunday, August 7, LSPR was made aware of a disturbing social media post made by a part-time Summit Waves lifeguard. At approximately 10 a.m. on Monday, August 8, the administrator of Parks and Recreation contacted the renting party and apologized for the poor experience the family received on Saturday night. In addition, the administrator apologized for the inappropriate and insensitive language used by staff including the social media post and advised that appropriate actions would be taken with staff. The administrator identified the internal processes that broke down and reassured the renting party that the rental cancellation was due solely to safety issues associated with potential crowd size. A refund was completed that afternoon and an offer was made to cover any additional expenses associated with the rental beyond the rental fee. The administrator and the rental party agreed to a follow-up phone call on Wednesday, August 10 to continue discussions.

LSPR intends to complete a comprehensive review of the rental process, including communication. LSPR will also enhance training to align with the City’s diversity and inclusion efforts. LSPR is committed to serving all people in our community and providing exceptional parks and recreation experiences for everyone.

this had all the indicators of a situation replete with racism but in light of the facts, that is not a reasonable conclusion.  viral clickbait won the day when it shouldn't have.  ultimately, the renters did not comply with the contract and thus, in a technical sense, they are fortunate to have been refunded the full value of the rental but that's a no-brainer from a publicity perspective and it does appear that the park failed to fully comply with its contractual duties as well on the arrangement for security.

also, anyone that says "you should try being an alpha" has disturbingly deep seated insecurity issues that aren't being properly addressed by the steroids they are taking.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, crash_davis said:

So I am supposed to be pissed at the park management or the rambunctious kids?

you're supposed to be pissed at modernity with a sprinkling of the human condition as well as the fact that we, as a society, have prioritized the consumption of information in a disingenuous and self-serving narcissistic way which has given rise to the material impact that stupid shit like social media has on our every day lives.  also that everyone hates each other so much and is so miserable and insecure in their own lives that the only way they can get through the day is to trample on anyone else they can.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1