Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

On 10/23/2023 at 8:38 AM, Valmy77 said:

I dispute this even in theory. All five of those teams could beat us. It is going to be a gauntlet.

not saying that you said this, but after the OU game the prevailing sentiment on this forum was that we were going to run the table and then beat OU in a rematch, basically as if it were set in stone. funny what one iffy game to do to the confidence of our football board denizens. 

ftr i’m with you- even with quinn it was always far from a guarantee that we would win out, even if we are favored for every game.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Our red zone woes this year are well documented. Sark hardliners blame the players. Those of us who see we have a pretty damn good roster (certainly the best in the Big 12) think it’s a Sark issue. Either way to have the roster and the OC we do (O Line issues aside—which again this is now Sark’s team):

Obviously this was posted before the UofH game but it’s inexcusable. The good news is we are 6-1 which speaks to the talent on our roster and the perseverance of the players as well. We keep fighting which is one thing I love and do give Sark credit for. We keep punching. This stat though: to be at the basement of the Big 12 on this is not acceptable. Not with our stable of RBs and WRs. Quinn is pretty damn accurate for the most part through games. You got to look at the play calling I guess and to a lesser extent player execution. 

At least we beat "Show more". 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Our red zone woes this year are well documented. Sark hardliners blame the players. Those of us who see we have a pretty damn good roster (certainly the best in the Big 12) think it’s a Sark issue. Either way to have the roster and the OC we do (O Line issues aside—which again this is now Sark’s team):

Obviously this was posted before the UofH game but it’s inexcusable. The good news is we are 6-1 which speaks to the talent on our roster and the perseverance of the players as well. We keep fighting which is one thing I love and do give Sark credit for. We keep punching. This stat though: to be at the basement of the Big 12 on this is not acceptable. Not with our stable of RBs and WRs. Quinn is pretty damn accurate for the most part through games. You got to look at the play calling I guess and to a lesser extent player execution. 

3 runs from the 1 yard line is a pretty big player execution problem, and if they punch it in from there and we that game does anybody even care about the other shit? Sark makes a lot of money, and is the head coach so it's all his fault technically. It's a never ending debate though I think, both sides will always have passionate arguments lol. 

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

not saying that you said this, but after the OU game the prevailing sentiment on this forum was that we were going to run the table and then beat OU in a rematch, basically as if it were set in stone. funny what one iffy game to do to the confidence of our football board denizens. 

ftr i’m with you- even with quinn it was always far from a guarantee that we would win out, even if we are favored for every game.

Some of us said we were going to wait until after TCU because of WTF Sark. Nothing to do with the players, it is all about Sark being two people.

Building and running the program:

Ted-Lasso.jpg

Coaching during games:

MV5BNjU4MDA1OTEtY2FhNy00YjUxLTg4ZmEtZThm

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

If what you meant to say is, "There were TWO, the ENTIRE game"...then you would be accurate.

You have already made it abundantly clear you have no idea what you are talking about. 1st, you asked when we ran deep curls, now you admit it, which is it. Maybe you should lurk more and post less.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You have already made it abundantly clear you have no idea what you are talking about. 1st, you asked when we ran deep curls, now you admit it, which is it. Maybe you should lurk more and post less.

Yes BUT you stated that we threw deep curls the entire Oklahoma game, which is objectively wrong.

I never stated that we DIDN'T run deep curls.  This is a silly discussion, and now I am bored.  

• Fuck You 19

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

this is bad. Texas is one of the few teams in the country running 18-20 yard curl routes. Most teams do not run those, because they do not have QBs with strong enough arms. I have no idea where this odd take that Quinn does not have a strong arm comes from. Its kind of bizarre. 

You’re crazy. Kid has average arm and every pass >15 yds just floats. Has no zip on any pass 

• Fuck You 30

17 minutes ago, Mulletqb said:

You’re crazy. Kid has average arm and every pass >15 yds just floats. Has no zip on any pass 

You would have thought this dumbassery would have ended in Quinn's second start when he hit X on a 20 yard out to the field side.. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mulletqb said:

he does tend to float some balls, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a huge arm. he’s flicking his wrist and dropping 50 yard dimes. he has one of the stronger arms around.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man- There we a lot of Shenanigans going on with our line. I know you saw it but for the people here that didn't I will just post this here for them.

This is pretty much a microcosm of what was going on out there and subsequently what happens to us vs this style of defense and why we struggle. We HAVE TO be able to win vs a 3 man front. If we are busting plays vs a 3 man that means they don't have to come out of coverage to handle our run game. Then you are seeing smaller windows for Quinn to throw into, and drives stall. This is the drive where we ran the fake field goal. We will go through 1st and 2nd down so we can see what happened.

1st down and UH is telling you with the alignment of their front what they are trying to do. Both their ends are aligned inside he tackles. They are telling us you aren't running inside. Sark is going to wisely call an outside run here. However, pay attention to Majors and the NT circled.

1st1.thumb.png.9e8bc18612a9fe152396bb86589a9659.png

Sark pulls both guards and uses Baxter to play H-back and cutoff the backside pursuit. However, Majors fires out too low and the NT calmly pushes him face first to the ground.

1st2.thumb.png.be467b30b85eb3f195738418f53db043.png

There is Majors face first.

1st3.thumb.png.5fb846e213a274e67f754a4de0243e28.png

Everyone is doing their job except Majors. If he had done his job there is a gaping hole for Brooks to run through for a huge gain. However, that has been filled by the NT and Brooks has to bounce it.

1st4.thumb.png.898f3056d5ec562315bfd756514a735f.png

Right into the waiting arms of the guy on the edge. Majors lost a lot of battles with their NT, but he wasn't the only one.

1st5.thumb.png.3d13d23d7038ba52b178fd587309fdde.png

So now we are on to 2nd and 9. Remember what we said about how UH is aligning their DTs? They are basically telling us they are planning on clogging up the A&B gaps and spilling everything outside to their force players. So as an O-linemen you have to expect the DE to fire into the B-gap.

2nd1.thumb.png.237bafe72ec29fdc64e2d2918a45fbc7.png

Sark calls another outside run. This time he pulls Banks and Helm. However, the DE whips Jones inside. Jones should've just blocked him down when he fired there.

2nd2.thumb.png.00c1de9fb2b1d525fa3706e9aec0841d.png

Now he is standing in the hole. Helm, who is supposed to account for the man behind the guy circled tried to chip the DE and still get to his responsibility.

2nd3.thumb.png.a341ddc0bd7c61717c428ec1f3381100.png

Helm is now blocking the DE. The man he was responsible for is now untouched and waiting for Brooks on the edge. Brooks has to cut it back inside and gets two yards. Had Jones done his job Brooks comes off the edge with only a DB in front of him. Probably a big gainer.

2nd4.thumb.png.0678163f420cc7901c4f745fea8e6a13.png

Sometimes I see guys yelling on the board and asking why are we running inside when the play wasn't supposed to go there. Sark doesn't always call the right play, but he does more times than not. Sometimes, like here, we just don't block them well. This is why we struggle vs the flyover. We have to be able to punish teams for daring to play a light box vs us. However, if you keep busting your assignments then it puts Quinn in a bad place. The next play UH split their 3 down out, rushed 4, and dropped everyone else beyond the sticks. We checked it down to Baxter who danced around and got tackled with no gain.

2nd 2.png

2nd 3.png

Best OL coach or one of them in the entire country, so this must be Sark's fault that our OL is still getting whipped randomly by guys from cougar high. You are fighting a losing battle my friend, but you are doing so admirably lol. Sark is not above reproach by any means but any sort of shit talking about his ability to call the game offensively while being a head coach is dumb to me. 6-1, about to be 7-1 is all I care about. This hasnt happend since 2009. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pound Town said:

I am curious what tools Quinn has shown that puts him on that level (Day 1 or 2 pick).  I don't think he has a particularly strong arm.  His best attribute is probably mid range accuracy.  Still hasn't thrown the deep ball consistently, although the throw to Worthy was a thing of beauty.  He doesn't have the athleticism of someone like Anthony Richardson (nor the arm).      

EDIT: I forgot Will Levis went in the SECOND ROUND.  Neeeeeeeeevermind

There is no way you can be watching Texas Football all year and not see some throws that are next level. Quinn is ELITE at throwing intermediate routes. Most QBs ignore the middle of the field and Quinn lives there. However, every once and again he throws a 15 yard out on the far hash...you know...the throw most people won't even attempt? It's eye-popping. However, don't take our word for it. Here is QE throwing a 70 yard ball off a 3 step drop. Must be a hell of a tail wind for this guy with a mediocre arm to make that throw. Notice the guys out there had to hit the cutoff man to get the ball back to him.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

I looked yesterday so I may be off a bit on the following.

12 3rd downs.

- 1 of 10+. 13 yards in part due to the Sanders sack.
- 6 of 5-9
- 5 of 1-4

Most of them were manageable. An RB draw might be a nice wrinkle. An adjustment on the RB release would be helpful.

There may have been some struggles but negative plays were limited.

Win and move on.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man- There we a lot of Shenanigans going on with our line. I know you saw it but for the people here that didn't I will just post this here for them.

This is pretty much a microcosm of what was going on out there and subsequently what happens to us vs this style of defense and why we struggle. We HAVE TO be able to win vs a 3 man front. If we are busting plays vs a 3 man that means they don't have to come out of coverage to handle our run game. Then you are seeing smaller windows for Quinn to throw into, and drives stall. This is the drive where we ran the fake field goal. We will go through 1st and 2nd down so we can see what happened.

1st down and UH is telling you with the alignment of their front what they are trying to do. Both their ends are aligned inside he tackles. They are telling us you aren't running inside. Sark is going to wisely call an outside run here. However, pay attention to Majors and the NT circled.

1st1.thumb.png.9e8bc18612a9fe152396bb86589a9659.png

Sark pulls both guards and uses Baxter to play H-back and cutoff the backside pursuit. However, Majors fires out too low and the NT calmly pushes him face first to the ground.

1st2.thumb.png.be467b30b85eb3f195738418f53db043.png

There is Majors face first.

1st3.thumb.png.5fb846e213a274e67f754a4de0243e28.png

Everyone is doing their job except Majors. If he had done his job there is a gaping hole for Brooks to run through for a huge gain. However, that has been filled by the NT and Brooks has to bounce it.

1st4.thumb.png.898f3056d5ec562315bfd756514a735f.png

Right into the waiting arms of the guy on the edge. Majors lost a lot of battles with their NT, but he wasn't the only one.

1st5.thumb.png.3d13d23d7038ba52b178fd587309fdde.png

So now we are on to 2nd and 9. Remember what we said about how UH is aligning their DTs? They are basically telling us they are planning on clogging up the A&B gaps and spilling everything outside to their force players. So as an O-linemen you have to expect the DE to fire into the B-gap.

2nd1.thumb.png.237bafe72ec29fdc64e2d2918a45fbc7.png

Sark calls another outside run. This time he pulls Banks and Helm. However, the DE whips Jones inside. Jones should've just blocked him down when he fired there.

2nd2.thumb.png.00c1de9fb2b1d525fa3706e9aec0841d.png

Now he is standing in the hole. Helm, who is supposed to account for the man behind the guy circled tried to chip the DE and still get to his responsibility.

2nd3.thumb.png.a341ddc0bd7c61717c428ec1f3381100.png

Helm is now blocking the DE. The man he was responsible for is now untouched and waiting for Brooks on the edge. Brooks has to cut it back inside and gets two yards. Had Jones done his job Brooks comes off the edge with only a DB in front of him. Probably a big gainer.

2nd4.thumb.png.0678163f420cc7901c4f745fea8e6a13.png

Sometimes I see guys yelling on the board and asking why are we running inside when the play wasn't supposed to go there. Sark doesn't always call the right play, but he does more times than not. Sometimes, like here, we just don't block them well. This is why we struggle vs the flyover. We have to be able to punish teams for daring to play a light box vs us. However, if you keep busting your assignments then it puts Quinn in a bad place. The next play UH split their 3 down out, rushed 4, and dropped everyone else beyond the sticks. We checked it down to Baxter who danced around and got tackled with no gain.

2nd 2.png

2nd 3.png

It would be better imo if you made these gifs instead of still shots. Maybe do a still shot with  arrows pointing to assignments and then a gif of the play underneath. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

It would be better imo if you made these gifs instead of still shots. Maybe do a still shot with  arrows pointing to assignments and then a gif of the play underneath. 

Lol. I barely had time to do this. Busy father here. Had 20 mins to knock something out. But check it out. 49:11 mark starts 1st down. Run it back a few times. Now that its been pointed out you will see it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. I barely had time to do this. Busy father here. Had 20 mins to knock something out. But check it out. 49:11 mark starts 1st down. Run it back a few times. Now that its been pointed out you will see it.

Thx.  Terrible job by Majors...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Yesh said:

I don't think I've ever seen Quinn throw it as hard as he can.  Arm strength isn't about how fast the ball is going.  Being able to throw the ball 40 yards with minimal effort is different than having to put your entire body into it.

Unfortunately though, it also means he's not realizing all the potential of said arm strength, because there are times when you need to fire that bullet. He's best at it over the middle. Less so to the sidelines. His mechanics are still a work in progress.

Edited by sith_horn

6 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think that’s unpopular at all. I think it’s fairly obvious. I think all signs also continue to point to him declaring anyway.

Maybe unpopular was the wrong word, but I am slightly surprised that not one analyst who covers Texas has floated the idea. They all seem to be sticking with the somewhat lazy/conventional assumptions.

Cutting your HS experience short, then doing the same in college doesn’t on its face appear to be a recipe for long term success in the league. And it’s not like he’s playing for free, the calculus behind this kind of thing is different than it was a couple of years ago. 

And this thought occurred to me well before the injury.

Edited by Nope

10 hours ago, Codaxx said:

this is bad. Texas is one of the few teams in the country running 18-20 yard curl routes. Most teams do not run those, because they do not have QBs with strong enough arms. I have no idea where this odd take that Quinn does not have a strong arm comes from. Its kind of bizarre. 

Think because we’ve seen Malik throw the ball straight through people like a fatality

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

I lol'd at this exchange. @Nope was best answer, it should be a thing when you nope someone to tag nope from now on lol. Getting Nope'd

36 minutes ago, Nope said:

Before the injury I had it at about a 5-10% chance that he comes back, now I’m at 30-40%.

28 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Nope

Just now, Dr.Dre said:

Think because we’ve seen Malik throw the ball straight through people like a fatality

Someone get that to me in AI right now.

do we have any cartoonists?