Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Ewers to Colt is a comparison that just should not be made.

One thing that has not been included in these discussions is that Ewers has still just played 14 games.  I realize that excuse is not endless, but he really has just completed his freshman season if we're being fair.  He's had a lot of ups and downs, but the ceiling is probably high - unfortunately it is not going to happen in Austin.  That is frustrating, but c'est la vie.

Cannot fully agree with that assessment. He's been with the program for two seasons, including both spring and fall camps. So he's had lots of practice, coaching and time to absorb and master the offense, mature and physically develop. It's valid to point out number of games played but that doesn't negate his time here. You wouldn't equate a freshman to a redshirt freshman either (assuming not medically out that entire first year). Likewise, just being an early enrollee has repeatedly proven a significant advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Cannot fully agree with that assessment. He's been with the program for two seasons, including both spring and fall camps. So he's had lots of practice, coaching and time to absorb and master the offense, mature and physically develop. It's valid to point out number of games played but that doesn't negate his time here. You wouldn't equate a freshman to a redshirt freshman either (assuming not medically out that entire first year). Likewise, just being an early enrollee has repeatedly proven a significant advantage.

Don't disagree, but he did miss a year in HS also.  

Edited by cochamps

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

I love bitchass mfkers talking mad shit on the internet knowing damn well your soft ass is a pussy in real life. Lol. When I showed up to the tailgate not a one of y'all said a got-damned thing. Everybody was all smiles and fist bumps. Typical. Soon as you get home and set your security system to make sure you are safe from the big bad black man, you pull out your keyboard and start talking tough. As soon as you leave the house though, you clutch your pearls.

Listen. There were rumors swirling around in the actual REAL WORLD that Colt's pops told him to shut it down. Not just on the internet. Here is the Dallas Morning News writing about it. Maybe you just weren't paying attention at the time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2010/01/26/father-knows-best-colt-mccoy-s-character-shouldn-t-be-taking-a-hit/

We Can Get Crazy Jordan Peele GIF

I love bitchass mfkers talking mad shit on the internet knowing damn well your soft ass is a pussy in real life. Lol. When I showed up to the tailgate not a one of y'all said a got-damned thing. Everybody was all smiles and fist bumps. Typical. Soon as you get home and set your security system to make sure you are safe from the big bad black man, you pull out your keyboard and start talking tough. As soon as you leave the house though, you clutch your pearls.
  Listen. There were rumors swirling around in the actual REAL WORLD that Colt's pops told him to shut it down. Not just on the internet. Here is the Dallas Morning News writing about it. Maybe you just weren't paying attention at the time.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2010/01/26/father-knows-best-colt-mccoy-s-character-shouldn-t-be-taking-a-hit/

So were they all code switching or what?

That was meant in jest by the way. I’m middle aged, white guy so if I misused the term, my apologies.

I do vividly recall discussions about Colt saving his draft status. Even had a text exchange from a non-Horn, pro football fan about it. I don’t/didn’t believe it, but it was a legit topic of discussion.

Lastly, I damn sure would want to hear stories of brawls breaking out at Surly tailgates. There’s for damn sure folks wandering the net in need of a butt kicking. Maybe I’m one. Report back from the next one.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Whaaaaat? You are black???

lol gif on Tumblr

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Ding ding. Compare them in total starts not just 7 games of one season. Dumb stat is dumb. @The_Great_Hornsby was right.

Colt’s freshman season is better than anything Quinn has shown to date.

Quinn played his sophmore year, missed almost half his junior year. and skipped his senior year in HS.  those last 2 years of HS is when QBs usually develop the most and come into their own. 

He sat out basically 2 years before his first college start as practically a true freshman in a new system for him and didn't get a full season in then either.  He's like 3-4 games of playing time into his sophmore season.   He's been behind the curve his entire college career and is doing good without even taking any of that into consideration.

He would've had to tank this season for the NFL to shy away from him because the analyst see him as green still with his best football still being a couple of years out.  

After the stretch we had between Colt and Sam, Quinn is doing great.  There is no reason to rush Arch because the Manning family is in no hurry to get him into the NFL, so it's likely they'll push for him to follow Payton's and Eli's lead and play through his senior year. They sent him here knowing he'd likely redshirt this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

no one is denying the rumors, i’m sure there was a person or five at every watch party who though colt could have returned but was worried about his draft stock. we all know that *some* people believe this. it’s your refusal to own the fact that you’re insinuating that it his is the truth that has people giving you the middle finger (btw, am i the only one who thinks we should other neg reps besides ‘fuck you’?). you’re trying to say that colt could have returned but chose not to without owning it. if you don’t believe that’s what happened then stop posting it as nauseam. 

8 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

no one is denying the rumors, i’m sure there was a person or five at every watch party who though colt could have returned but was worried about his draft stock. we all know that *some* people believe this. it’s your refusal to own the fact that you’re insinuating that it his is the truth that has people giving you the middle finger (btw, am i the only one who thinks we should other neg reps besides ‘fuck you’?). you’re trying to say that colt could have returned but chose not to without owning it. if you don’t believe that’s what happened then stop posting it as nauseam. 

Colt wanted to come back in.  He cried when he was told he couldn't. His dad was against it and so was Mack and the medical staff because he had no feeling in his arm for an extended period (still not right after the game ended) and they had no idea of the extent of the injury.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Gaffords said:

Quinn played his sophmore year, missed almost half his junior year. and skipped his senior year in HS.  those last 2 years of HS is when QBs usually develop the most and come into their own. 

He sat out basically 2 years before his first college start as practically a true freshman in a new system for him and didn't get a full season in then either.  He's like 3-4 games of playing time into his sophmore season.   He's been behind the curve his entire college career and is doing good without even taking any of that into consideration.

He would've had to tank this season for the NFL to shy away from him because the analyst see him as green still with his best football still being a couple of years out.  

After the stretch we had between Colt and Sam, Quinn is doing great.  There is no reason to rush Arch because the Manning family is in no hurry to get him into the NFL, so it's likely they'll push for him to follow Payton's and Eli's lead and play through his senior year. They sent him here knowing he'd likely redshirt this year. 

IMG_6696.gif.da8bfe842b067cc207d858ed3199ed28.gif

4 hours ago, Gaffords said:

So Quinn’s 5 star rating is based on his HS career consisting of one season as a sophomore and half a season as a junior? 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, MrBig said:

So Quinn’s 5 star rating is based on his HS career consisting of one season as a sophomore and half a season as a junior? 

if QE was a 3 star from Taylor, TX the UT fan perception of him would have been drastically different for his entire career. same with nfl scouts. all of the hype is based on the ridiculous idea that he was VY’s equal/literally the greatest prospect ever coming out of HS. before this year he was out of shape, didn’t take himself seriously, and had a myriad of extremely visible flaws in his game. this year he’s better, but he’s being helped by having great supporting talent and what i deem to be some (mostly) intelligent game planning and play calling that plays to his strengths. nothing about his actual play/body of work merits the hype. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

if QE was a 3 star from Taylor, TX the UT fan perception of him would have been drastically different for his entire career. same with nfl scouts. all of the hype is based on the ridiculous idea that he was VY’s equal/literally the greatest prospect ever coming out of HS. before this year he was out of shape, didn’t take himself seriously, and had a myriad of extremely visible flaws in his game. this year he’s better, but he’s being helped by having great supporting talent and what i deem to be some (mostly) intelligent game planning and play calling that plays to his strengths. nothing about his actual play/body of work merits the hype. 

NFL scouts look at stars by recruiting services??? Is that part hyperbole? The second part is you adding your opinion. There have been like 6 perfect overall recruits and all of them at the time were considered probably the greatest ever prospect. That's not unusual, jadaveon clowney and rashaun gary were two I remember. Him going a perfect 19/19 at one point passing against oklahoma after getting his shit pushed in and committing some turnovers doesn't merit the hype? How about 245 attempts without throwing an interception? You remember Vince not scoring any against oklahoma in 03? or almost losing to kansas who ended up being 3-7?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

colt did not lead our team in rushing by design, he did so because we had no RB’s and our o line had him running for his life every play. our 2008 team, one of the 3-4 best Texas teams ever, didn’t even know who it’s starting RB was until Chris Ogbonnaya serendipitously took over the role after a breakout performance the week before vs Colorado. our recruiting and talent development post-NC was just incredibly lazy and overall poor.

It goes to show just how much of a badass Colt really was.  No running threat in our backfield, an offensive line that used bootlegs on a regular basis.  It was safer for Colt to slide right or left of the pocket unprotected than it was to stay in it....  He couldn't throw the deep ball at all, so defenses knew the pass was going to be between 5 to 15 almost always, and still couldn't react fast enough to keep him from hitting recievers.  Colt fucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I think ewers should consider returning for one more year. His ability to develop here is better than it will be on an nfl team. He would be a better pro for it.

He fucked himself by reclassifying. He should be in his sophomore year making improvements staring down the barrel of an insane junior year. He wanted to start his NFL clock early and we have Arch in the wings. Ewers is super talented but his potential will be realized in the NFL… not here. Him staying another year complicates way too many things. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

He fucked himself by reclassifying. He should be in his sophomore year making improvements staring down the barrel of an insane junior year. He wanted to start his NFL clock early and we have Arch in the wings. Ewers is super talented but his potential will be realized in the NFL… not here. Him staying another year complicates way too many things. 

He was held back young, apparently.  Because he has a March birthday and is 20 years old.  Meaning he turns 21 during his Spring Semester of his junior year of college.  That is probably why he reclassified to the class he should have been in all along.

39 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

So he is going to be good in the NFL, but he fucked himself?

1 minute ago, Gene Parmesan said:

As far as draft position? Sure, he now sits maybe as 5th or 6th Qb taken with only 2 or 3 dominant games to show for so far.  Not to mention going into the NFL with injury concerns. I think his best football is ahead of him, but that does nothing for Texas as it stands. 

39 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

He was held back young, apparently.  Because he has a March birthday and is 20 years old.  Meaning he turns 21 during his Spring Semester of his junior year of college.  That is probably why he reclassified to the class he should have been in all along.

I think he probably did it for the million dollars? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Sure, it complicates things for Arch and complicates things for Texas, but it doesn’t complicate things for Ewers. This is why I think people are jumping the gun on his leaving for the NFL in the same way they were jumping the gun on his greatness in year 2.

What if Ewers recognizes that leaving high school early was a mistake and doesn’t want to make the same mistake twice by leaving too early for the NFL? What if he sees that another year here could make him a no-brainer first round pick, because no matter what anyone says, he is not that right now.

We continue to be told that “he’s gone,” and maybe he is, but where do people come up with that conclusion? He has t stated it. Have his parents? Has Sark? Or is this prognosis just based on potential alone?

It seems very plausible to me that Quinn could come back. That makes it complicated for everyone else, but not for Quinn—unless he can’t beat out Manning next year. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Sure, it complicates things for Arch and complicates things for Texas, but it doesn’t complicate things for Ewers. This is why I think people are jumping the gun on his leaving for the NFL in the same way they were jumping the gun on his greatness in year 2.

What if Ewers recognizes that leaving high school early was a mistake and doesn’t want to make the same mistake twice by leaving too early for the NFL? What if he sees that another year here could make him a no-brainer first round pick, because no matter what anyone says, he is not that right now.

We continue to be told that “he’s gone,” and maybe he is, but where do people come up with that conclusion? He has t stated it. Have his parents? Has Sark? Or is this prognosis just based on potential alone?

It seems very plausible to me that Quinn could come back. That makes it complicated for everyone else, but not for Quinn—unless he can’t beat out Manning next year. 

I believe it was communicated to the Manning family that Ewers was leaving after this year. Or else they wouldn’t have gotten Arch 

19 hours ago, cochamps said:

Ewers to Colt is a comparison that just should not be made.

One thing that has not been included in these discussions is that Ewers has still just played 14 games.  I realize that excuse is not endless, but he really has just completed his freshman season if we're being fair.  He's had a lot of ups and downs, but the ceiling is probably high - unfortunately it is not going to happen in Austin.  That is frustrating, but c'est la vie.

He really fucked himself on development by skipping his senior season. No QB should ever skip their senior seasons of HS. QBs need all the reps they can get and need mental and physical maturity that extra year brings. He's solid here but he just doesn't have the awareness of defenses to make the proper reads against certain types of defenses. The more the defense disguises and tricks up how they play him the more hesitant he gets and he holds the ball and misses open reads. Doesn't help the OL is only mediocre in pass pro. 

We're probably going to see a lot of the same with Malik and Arch since they have a lack of experience but Malik should have been studying this offense in depth for a couple of years and Arch played in a very similar offense to Sark's in HS with a lot of the same terminology. Hopefully one of them can make some things happen and we can keep winning this season. The other guys around them might step their games up now knowing that they have to help out the backup. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He might be good. Might not. One thing that's going to scare GMs is he hasn't played a season of football in the last 4 years going back to HS without pretty serious injury and missing games. He's looking very injury prone and a project on the mental side of the game. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

He might be good. Might not. One thing that's going to scare GMs is he hasn't played a season of football in the last 4 years going back to HS without pretty serious injury and missing games. He's looking very injury prone and a project on the mental side of the game. 

His arm talent is bananas though and like many of my ex girlfriends the NFL is going to trick itself into thinking it can fix all the other problems. Dude is going to be the 3rd or 4th QB taken.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

There have been like 6 perfect overall recruits and all of them at the time were considered probably the greatest ever prospect.

there have been three:

•Vince Young in 2002

*19 year gap where nobody was deemed to be VY’s equal*

•Quinn Ewers in 2021, making him the best prospect in nearly two decades, and essentially the greatest prospect of all time

•Arch Manning in 2023

if you don’t think that QE’s nearly unprecedented hype has played into his lofty rankings and projections then i don’t know what to tell you. 

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there have been three:

•Vince Young in 2002

•Quinn Ewers in 2021, making him the best prospect in nearly two decades, and essentially the greatest prospect of all time

•Arch Manning in 2023

Like Trevor Lawrence wasnt rated 5 star by every service and the number 1 recruit from start to finish

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

His arm talent is bananas though and like many of my ex girlfriends the NFL is going to trick itself into thinking it can fix all the other problems. Dude is going to be the 3rd or 4th QB taken.

No shit. Anthony Richardson got drafted based 100000% on potential. The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year but had a great combine & a strong arm so the Colts took him 4th. Not in the 4th round, 4th overall. Of course, it's highly likely Irsay was on a bender, but he was getting picked in the top half of the 1st round regardless. NFL teams are going to love that he's being coached by Sark, he's accurate, he's got a blazing fast release, & he's got a very strong arm. His biggest problem would likely be how loaded this QB draft class has a chance to be. Williams, Maye, Daniels, Travis, Penix, Sanders, McCarthy - lots of really good college QBs this year that could/should be in the draft. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, hook me said:

No shit. Anthony Richardson got drafted based 100000% on potential. The guy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last year but had a great combine & a strong arm so the Colts took him 4th. Not in the 4th round, 4th overall. Of course, it's highly likely Irsay was on a bender, but he was getting picked in the top half of the 1st round regardless. NFL teams are going to love that he's being coached by Sark, he's accurate, he's got a blazing fast release, & he's got a very strong arm. His biggest problem would likely be how loaded this QB draft class has a chance to be. Williams, Maye, Daniels, Travis, Penix, Sanders, McCarthy - lots of really good college QBs this year that could/should be in the draft. 

But if he stays another year, he will be up against C-Wig

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there have been three:

•Vince Young in 2002

•Arch Manning in 2023

if you don’t think that QE’s nearly unprecedented hype has played into his lofty rankings and projections then i don’t know what to tell you. 

I thought Arch ended up at less than 1.000 when in finalized rankings?  Not that it matters to your point, but a perfect ranking has nothing to do with deeming them equal to anyone in prior classes.  It's just a consensus on who the services believe is the best recruit that class.  If they all agree player X is the number 1 player in the class, that's a perfect rating.  There is practically zero difference than a 1.000 rating and the .999X rating that typically happens ever year, other than one of the sites listed the guy as #2 overall as if any of these sites can actually discern a difference between the #1 player vs #2 or #3.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there have been three:

•Vince Young in 2002

•Arch Manning in 2023

Why do you keep saying that bolded part? You meant specifically qb, but I was talking about overall. It would be different if vince and quinn were the only perfect overall recruits ever but there have been at least 6 total. Chris Simms, Tim Tebow, Adrian Peterson, Travis Hunter....all these guys generated nearly unprecedented hype before quinn did lol. Hype for a recruit is not new and Quinn isn't even the most hyped recruit on his own team man. Arch has already been deemed the savior of Texas football. His lofty rankings and projections come from him having a rocket right arm that can toss bb's from all different angles. He played high school football at the highest competition levels and did well. He has good stats currently and helped us to a 6-1 record, 245 passes without a pick, a stretch of 19/19 in the biggest rivalry game in college football. He also seems to play his best football on the biggest stages, two picks and a fumble aren't great but he recovered nicely and nobody is perfect. 

37 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Like Trevor Lawrence wasnt rated 5 star by every service and the number 1 recruit from start to finish

we’re not talking about 5 star recruits, we’re talking about recruits with a perfect 1.000 rating.

also i’m not sure what your point here would be in the first place, considering that Lawrence actually did live up to his hype, from physically taking care of himself to his performance on the field. that’s not a comparison that works favorably for QE.

Edited by shadow_operative

i apologize, but i’m failing to understand the point of the posts directed at me that are mentioning other unanimous no.1 recruits. tim tebow, adrian peterson, jadaveon clowney, trevor lawrence, etc etc. i’m genuinely asking, because i don’t understand what point y’all are trying to make. all of those guys were far better college football players than QE has been which only supports the point i’ve been making, specifically that QE’s hype- the fan expectations, the heisman talk, the projected first round draft grade, etc- are a product of his HS rankings (and the fact that he has arm talent) and not based on his actual body of work as a college QB.

Edited by shadow_operative