Concerts you are attending

bamachine

17 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

My wife thought it was meh. A lot of her older stuff was slowed down or dropped a key so she could sing it. She said Madonna looked like a toddler struggling to walk in mom’s high heels. Just own it. You’re almost 70. Put on those Sketchers. My wife left at 1:10 but didn’t know if there was an encore after that.

Last night's Madonna show report: I'd give it a B.  Was less of a concert and more of a "spectacle," which I guess is to be expected, Madonna being Madonna and all.  And it WAS a spectacle.  Hell, my wife and I agreed that about 40% of the entertainment value was the crowd itself.  Tons of women dressed up in Madonna-inspired outfits, from fun to sexy to crazy.  Loved the gal in front of us with daisy dukes and a bustier she kept trying to bounce out of.  And ALL tha gayz....leathers, chain mail tops, multiple fabulous drag queens.  It was an awesome sight.  

As for the show itself, it was indeed a spectacle.  Incredible staging, and her dancers clearly have to be some of the best modern dancers in the biz these days.  The music was secondary, which was my biggest source of disappointment (but again, accepting that Madonna is Madonna....it makes some sense).  Didn't play a good number of songs we'd like to hear, and most other songs were different mixes or portions of a song.  Like a Prayer (my favorite song) was staged incredibly, but it was only about a 40% version, albeit a creative and good mix of it overlaid with some other tunes.

Yeah, the 10:30 start was BS.  Show ended a bit after 1:00, I think, I didn't crawl into bed until nearly 2:00.  I get the "I'm reminiscing back to my start in the crazy club days where everyone parties till 4:00 am," but her audience ain't in their crazy club days anymore.  The temp wasn't terrible inside.  Warm, but tolerable.  We dressed for it, having been advised to do so.

Glad we went, saw the spectacle, can check Madonna off the list (well, my wife saw her back in 89 too).  No need to go see this show again, though.

49 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

10:30 start, no AC. Wnb.

There was some talent there.  That part I really enjoyed.  My wife was even courteous enough to point out a few that she knew I would appreciate.  I spotted the daisy dukes and bustier all on my own, though.

But yeah, my days of staying out till 2:00 are a tad behind me.

We saw Clay Walker over the weekend.

Wife is a big 90's country fan. I'm a fan of keeping the wife happy.

But I'll say for someone with M.S., or even a healthy performer, he and his band put on a good show. They brought him out on stage and helped him walk off.

He stood for about 70% of the show. They brought him a chair at one point and he made a small joke about it.

He let the band play some, presumably so he could rest, including a pretty good version of Little Wing and another non-country tune that I can't recall.  

Very professional. I came away impressed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GenXer said:

I have Social Distortion tonight. They’ve been one of my favorite bands since the 90’s.

I’m stoked. Hoping to get “prison bound”

Mommy's Little Monster or gtfo

A friend of mine just saw them and really enjoyed the show... enjoy

setlist according to the interwebs...

• Good Times Roll (The Cars song)
  • Bad Luck
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • I Wasn't Born to Follow
  • Through These Eyes
  • Tonight
  • Mommy's Little Monster
  • The Creeps
  • Hour of Darkness
  • Anti-Fashion
  • Over You
  • Reach for the Sky
  • Ball and Chain
  • Born to Kill
  • Warn Me (Joined by son Julian Ness on guitar)
  • Ring of Fire (Merle Kilgore cover)
  • Ring of Fire

Edited by locodos

3 hours ago, locodos said:

Mommy's Little Monster or gtfo

A friend of mine just saw them and really enjoyed the show... enjoy

setlist according to the interwebs...

• Good Times Roll (The Cars song)
  • Bad Luck
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • I Wasn't Born to Follow
  • Through These Eyes
  • Tonight
  • Mommy's Little Monster
  • The Creeps
  • Hour of Darkness
  • Anti-Fashion
  • Over You
  • Reach for the Sky
  • Ball and Chain
  • Born to Kill
  • Warn Me (Joined by son Julian Ness on guitar)
  • Ring of Fire (Merle Kilgore cover)
  • Ring of Fire

Meh, I think they should play Ring of Fire at least one more time.

On 4/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, DixonHur said:

Anyone going to see Adam Ant in Austin this weekend?

Play lists for other shows look really good, so I've been going back and forth.

Maaaan I really want to go but I may be using my weekend pass to see Je'Texas tomorrow night at Continental Gallery 

• Hook 'Em 1

John Fullbright was a no-show at Kessler tonight. It put Bruce Robison in an awkward position making the announcement after the first opener concluded her set. Robison did a good job improvising and stretching his set.

Man, great show last night with Je'Texas.  Dylan Bishop Is so incredibly talented. We stayed until midnight and then had to split. But the funny thing about the show is they didn't play a single song off of the album they released last year. Mostly played new original material that Dylan released last year and some covers but it was all so good.

PXL_20240420_034532943.jpg

PXL_20240420_034622123.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, DixonHur said:

Anyone going to see Adam Ant in Austin this weekend?

Play lists for other shows look really good, so I've been going back and forth.

went last night.  show was surprisingly good.  hard to believe he is 69.  the setlist was great and the eclectic nature of his/ants catalogue didn't make it feel like a greatest hits fest.  The old Ants stuff actually stands a bit of the test of time.  most everyone on the floor stood the entire show which says something.

The band was finominal which made the concert to be honest.  I was worried he'd be off due to being 3rd night in a row but he was good enough.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 metal shows in 5 nights. Two with my son who is a senior in high school and opted to take me to Insomnium instead of going to senior prom. Then he sang in the mic and held up one of the singers of Angelmaker on the barricade while the guy sang a song over the crowd. Such a cool kid. 

Amon Amarth's first show at Red Rocks was totally killer too. That's a must-visit venue for anyone that hasn't been. They projected their logo on either side of the rocks surrounding the amphitheater. 

Friday: Wilderun, Omnium Gathurum, Insomnium

Monday: Frozen Soul, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth

Tuesday: Snuffed on Sight, Signs of the Swarm, Angelmaker, Thy Art is Murder

image.thumb.jpeg.cefdc7ae29adfa85a59a6f29c7cc0e79.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e6ab7c00b5f087119eb64ac1f174e59.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.537cd59ae34b73767db1b2b3fe904266.jpeg

image.thumb.png.cf43662675002c577db7d14234cc0268.png

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, HornPhD said:

Just got home after seeing Asleep at the Wheel and Willie Nelson at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley. Willie sat the entire set, which is totally understandable considering he’s 90 and still touring. Ray Benson did double duty fronting his band and backing up Willie. 
IMG_5773.thumb.jpeg.0cf5d4db9a5abd1c8d09d3a6173d2667.jpegIMG_5785.thumb.jpeg.32c56c482dc12d2713cccfd40e32284b.jpegIMG_5797.thumb.jpeg.748fbe9dfce041f1796c1bc9def132aa.jpeg

IMG_5780.jpeg

I'm going to see him at Whitewater with REK (HE"S STILL PLAYING SHOWS!!!111!!!) in May.

I saw Willie in 22 and 23. I'll keep seeing him, but not because I expect a phenomenal live show.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Brittney Howard at an ACL TV taping next Monday.

A couple weeks ago, my wife was asking why we don't buy some tickets to a taping of ACL.  I knew you could buy tickets, but wasn't sure exactly how to get tickets.  I vaguely remember people waiting in line outside the ACL taping studio back when it was on the UT campus.  Found out that you had to send in a request and then get drawn.  First opportunity was Jelly Roll - I ain't trying to go to no Jelly Roll.  Next up - Brittney Howard.  Sent in my request and learned today that I was selected from more than 4200 entries.  

Now we get to show up on Monday at 6:00 to try to get two passes and hopefully get in.  We'll see.

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I think Brittney Howard at an ACL TV taping next Monday.

A couple weeks ago, my wife was asking why we don't buy some tickets to a taping of ACL.  I knew you could buy tickets, but wasn't sure exactly how to get tickets.  I vaguely remember people waiting in line outside the ACL taping studio back when it was on the UT campus.  Found out that you had to send in a request and then get drawn.  First opportunity was Jelly Roll - I ain't trying to go to no Jelly Roll.  Next up - Brittney Howard.  Sent in my request and learned today that I was selected from more than 4200 entries.  

Now we get to show up on Monday at 6:00 to try to get two passes and hopefully get in.  We'll see.

If you got the email saying you were selected, you will 100% get in. 

They still do a standby line for most tapings as well. I’ve gotten into several that way when I wasn’t selected in the lottery. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Watching the closing of Stagecoach Friday night on Amazon Prime and the closer is Nickleback??.   They went dormant for 20 years and now they are hip again evidently.   I won’t lie all of their shit has been entertaining minus the Hardy duet they tried, that dude made Nickleback look like world class artists lol.    

Enjoyed Fiesta all last week and went to La Semana Alegre. That was a staple of Fiesta with some really good bands. I saw Little Joe, Flaco, Triumph and Spinal Tap (yes, them). They got pushed to the Freeman Coliseum grounds when the area was torn down and then before the AT&T center was built, it went away. This year they brought it back. 

I went on Friday, so missed the Toadies and Girl in a Comma on Thursday. I did see Inner Wave,  The Heroine, Joe King Carrasco, Legs Diamond (an SA metal favorite) and Ozomatli. They headlined and man, that band is so much fun and high energy. I saw them back in 1999 and they still got it. 

They held it at the Hemisfair park, across from NIOSA. Good location and hope it grows back to what it was. 

• Hook 'Em 2