Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes, no...maybe?

Way back in the day, Jr High and forward, we got our asses kicked in football every year by the same teams over and over. First game of our freshman changed the status quo. Granted our new freshman football coach, David Patrick made a huge difference. First game...the fucking Judson Rockets. Hell of a hard fought battle of a game that resulted in a 12-12 tie.  We came out of that game realizing that WE could play with  ANYBODY, we hung with the same guys that had destroyed us every year and damned near won. It caused a tremendous shift in attitude and  confidence and we went on to a very, very successful season.

Are you forged from a hotter fire?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Gonna give a sober, days-removed take on the game.

I think this loss is fool's gold, and I don't think it proves we're good.

"But Bama" you say.

"But the safety" you say.

"But the missed facemask" you say.

"But the missed sack" you say.

"But Quinn had all those yards in just one quarter" you say.

"But Card was on a bad leg" you say.

Yes there are a lot of great reasons to feel good about Saturday even though it was a loss.

And yet, I wonder if perhaps this was just a REALLY uncharacteristically poor performance from a Saban-coached team. The statistic I hate the most? Penalties.

That stat tells me Bama might have been its own worst enemy, and that the game probably would have looked more like the 4th quarter if Bama hadn't consistently fucked themselves with stupid drive-killing (or, if they were on defense, drive-saving) flags.

We had a lot of bright spots, of course, and even some big plays untainted by penalties. But the penalties absolutely destroyed Bama's ability to generate momentum for three quarters, and we didn't capitalize at all.

So, I think that while we haven't been "exposed" yet Notre Dame-style, I think the hard truth is that this performance (as fun and inspiring as it was considering how everyone expected us to be blown out) says more about Bama than it does about us. I still think Bama can run the table, and this game will have been a wake-up call for them.

I'm going to be watching the next games very carefully before I draw any conclusions from Bama@UT 9/10. Still an instant classic, still a great experience, but I call it fool's gold until further notice.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The statistic I hate the most? Penalties.

That stat tells me Bama might have been its own worst enemy, and that the game probably would have looked more like the 4th quarter if Bama hadn't consistently fucked themselves with stupid drive-killing (or, if they were on defense, drive-saving) flags.

A lot of penalties happen because you’re getting your ass beat one on one or by scheme

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, 7KHorn said:

Yeah, I agree with this logic.  I remember just hoping refs would figure out a way to correct their ridiculous call during the review.  That end zone view where you see when ref threw flag is just ridiculous.  You ask any reasonable football fan about that play and they'll all agree it should have been a safety.

The interesting exercise imo is, if a safety had been called and Texas ended up winning (or not winning for that matter), would ANYONE still be discussing the play?

I could quote every comment on this thread, but in my eyes, that was the biggest WTF moment in the history of CFB officiating. 

Maybe. Maybe not. A lot of that shit looked self-inflicted.

I think the only self inflicted flags were the after the play late hit on Sanders and the unnecessary blind side block.  Everything else was deliberate and with a purpose, even the offsides/nuetral zone shit.  Assume you meant for Bama. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes, no...maybe?

Way back in the day, Jr High and forward, we got our asses kicked in football every year by the same teams over and over. First game of our freshman changed the status quo. Granted our new freshman football coach, David Patrick made a huge difference. First game...the fucking Judson Rockets. Hell of a hard fought battle of a game that resulted in a 12-12 tie.  We came out of that game realizing that WE could play with  ANYBODY, we hung with the same guys that had destroyed us every year and damned near won. It caused a tremendous shift in attitude and  confidence and we went on to a very, very successful season.

Jfc, we’re doing HS football stories.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Jiggy-Z said:

I think the only self inflicted flags were the after the play late hit on Sanders and the unnecessary blind side block.  Everything else was deliberate and with a purpose, even the offsides/nuetral zone shit.  Assume you meant for Bama. 

I don't think there's anything special about us that would draw teams offsides but okay. I'm cautiously optimistic, that's all.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Crowd was responsible for a lot of the before the snap penalties.  That’s part of playing on the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yes, no...maybe?

al-bundy-mwc.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

His analysis was terrible because it ignores watching the actual game. Texas held its own at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Hell, one of Alabama's biggest plays was a clear and blatant hold out in the open that wasn't called. This wasn't a fluke game where only the penalties slowed Alabama down. Texas played with them in the trenches all game long.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

His analysis was terrible because it ignores watching the actual game. Texas held its own at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Hell, one of Alabama's biggest plays was a clear and blatant hold out in the open that wasn't called. This wasn't a fluke game where only the penalties slowed Alabama down. Texas played with them in the trenches all game long.

You're not understanding. They committed penalties they don't usually commit. Does that happen 9/10 times if we play them 10 times? As much as I want to give credit to our team for that, I think it's far more likely that they didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

5 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I don't think there's anything special about us that would draw teams offsides but okay. I'm cautiously optimistic, that's all.

Well crowd for one thing, but I think the off sides/nuetral zone stuff was something that they tried to get away with and it didn't work, so they stopped eventually.  Probably has nothing to do with us at all, just trying to get an edge an push the boundaries with the intent of gaining a split second or forcing a false start.

TV numbers are in and they are huge.most streaming of any football game, college or pro, on fox. 
5.7 rating and 11 million viewers peaking at almost  14 million viewers late. 4th biggest fox game ever, behind 3 OSU v Michigan games. 
2 million more viewers than Bama v aggy. 
the SEC is going to be a fucking money printing machine if Texas is good. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

You're not understanding. They committed penalties they don't usually commit. Does that happen 9/10 times if we play them 10 times? As much as I want to give credit to our team for that, I think it's far more likely that they didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express.

Except that there were at least 4 or 5 pretty egregious no-calls, including facemasks and DPI's. The problem is that they were consistently being committed, and they were hardly subjective. What it says to me, is that the penalties were in large part how they beat us, not why it was so close. The commited enough that went uncalled, they were able to squeak out with the win.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

Except that there were at least 4 or 5 pretty egregious no-calls, including facemasks and DPI's. The problem is that they were consistently being committed, and they were hardly subjective. What it says to me, is that the penalties were in large part how they beat us, not why it was so close. The commited enough that went uncalled, they were able to squeak out with the win.

they should have been penalized even more. that's for damn sure. i'm trying to figure out why their play was so undisciplined and sloppy. and if that's how they play, are they a good barometer?

6 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm understanding perfectly. What do you think happens if they don't commit those penalties? What happens if they don't interfere with our receivers? If they don't tackle us by the facemask? If they don't blatantly hold our defensive linemen?

The answer to all of those is that we have more success, not less.

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, chainsaw said:

they should have been penalized even more. that's for damn sure. i'm trying to figure out why their play was so undisciplined and sloppy. and if that's how they play, are they a good barometer?

Fair enough. From a statistical POV it is definitely an outlier game in terms of number of penalties. That is indisputable. I guess my argument, being very orange biased, is that we were beating them to the point they had to resort to penalties, whether it was lining up off sides to get a jump, holding our WRs, holding our DL, or grasping for facemasks. It really is a state of "we are getting beat out here by these guys, we don't know what else to do except start getting dirty"...again, my opinion of course. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

my dude, you need to walk away from this one.

when you are used to just steamrolling teams, you start to press and do whatever you can to regain the advantage when someone hits you back.  crowd at dkr was probably best since 2008 missouri, if not 1998 agros.  that does indeed have an impact...particularly when they aren't used to playing ooc road games. 

but more importantly, we forced them into some of those penalties mentally.  they weren't just bad luck for bama. if you're an ot and you're getting beat for sacks, you're going to be forced to be more liberal with your willingness to see what you can get away with.  if you are a db and the te just beat you to the corner, you have to push them out of bounds while the ball is in the air or you give up a td.  they are not used to getting whipped at the l.o.s.  even when they lose. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm understanding perfectly. What do you think happens if they don't commit those penalties? What happens if they don't interfere with our receivers? If they don't tackle us by the facemask? If they don't blatantly hold our defensive linemen?

The answer to all of those is that we have more success, not less.

That's a glass half full way of looking at it. But I think Bama's Bama, and they have more overall talent. They gave us opportunity after opportunity and we didn't take it.

1 minute ago, sidis said:

my dude, you need to walk away from this one.

when you are used to just steamrolling teams, you start to press and do whatever you can to regain the advantage when someone hits you back.  crowd at dkr was probably best since 2008 missouri, if not 1998 agros.  that does indeed have an impact...particularly when they aren't used to playing ooc road games. 

but more importantly, we forced them into some of those penalties mentally.  they weren't just bad luck for bama. if you're an ot and you're getting beat for sacks, you're going to be forced to be more liberal with your willingness to see what you can get away with.  if you are a db and the te just beat you to the corner, you have to push them out of bounds while the ball is in the air or you give up a td.  they are not used to getting whipped at the l.o.s.  even when they lose. 

I hope you are right. But what if it's fool's gold? What if Bama isn't that good? Or if they are good, what if they didn't show up prepared and still managed to beat us?

9 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I hope you are right. But what if it's fool's gold? What if Bama isn't that good? Or if they are good, what if they didn't show up prepared and still managed to beat us?

if it is fool's gold, it is unlikely to me that it is because bama sucks and more likely that we just played the game of the season out there (which as i said above and made immamac act like a petulant child, is entirely possible).  patterson schemed a great game and our guys played with everything they had on virtually every play.  the environment also aided in the intensity.  it will be hard to maintain that.  much like playing lsu to the end and then tanking.

but i don't think bama sucks.  i think bama has one of their more inferior offensive lines in a while but this wasn't the fool's gold of hanging with a crap team (like 2016 notre dame game). 

that said, while i am not sure one can extrapolate a trend from it just yet but i will say...bama has not been great in true road games of late.

last year, they played four true road games.  @florida, @tamu, @miss state, and @auburn.

1) they won the florida game by two points and were a two point conversion from going to o.t.  florida finished 6-7 (2-6 in conference) and was not good.

2) they lost at the agros to an 8-4 team (4-4 in conference) coming off losses to arkansas and miss state.

3) they killed leach's dumbass.  miss state went 7-6 (4-4 in conference).

4) they had to go to four overtimes to beat auburn by two points who finished 6-7 (3-5 in conference).

they have been incredibly fortunate and against us, an objective and good faith argument could be made that they did not win.

Edited by sidis
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Only the homerest of Bama homers believe they would have won that game with a healthy Ewers, who was on pace for 400+ yards passing. Bama lost the LOS on both sides of the ball, and their WR were smothered by our secondary, while our WR/TEs were burning their secondary on nearly every play.

I have seen this said  a couple times now. Bama did not lose the LOS on both sides of the ball. PFF had the average run before contact for Texas at negative 1 yard. Bama defense dominated the LOS in the run game. Texas was surprisingly competent in pass pro, but there is no way to say TExas OL dominated the LOS. That was the biggest reason Texas scored 16 pts in 5 trips to the red zone 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Just now, ATXhorn17 said:

Nah, we settled for a field goal there. 

Yeah I know. Huge no call. I’m not saying we would have gotten in but it’s clearly the refs putting their finger on the scale. Just like the (non) safety, the uncalled face mask, and the two blatant holds on the long TD run and young’s scramble. It sucks for the team. I’m not saying we score more or they don’t wind up rallying and out scoring us anyway, but this was just bullshit

I am rewatching the game and I am amazed about how dirty Bama played in the 1st quarter alone.  Three plays stand out:

1) Blatant Pass Interference on Sanders in the Endzone, cost us a TD!

2) The Facemask on Worthy on the long completion.  Worthy caught the long ball despite the interference and facemask!

3) The body slam that took QE out of the game when he was shredding Bama’s D.  It was a deliberate hit to injure our quarterback and take him out of the game.

Bama played dirty!  Fuck Bama in their cheating asses!  And fuck Saban for being a dirty cheating AssHat!  An fuck the whole state of Alabama!

i hope we play them again with some decent Refs and beat the ever living shit out of them!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I am rewatching the game and I am amazed about how dirty Bama played in the 1st quarter alone.  Three plays stand out:
1) Blatant Pass Interference on Sanders in the Endzone, cost us a TD!
2) The Facemask on Worthy on the long completion.  Worthy caught the long ball despite the interference and facemask!
3) The body slam that took QE out of the game when he was shredding Bama’s D.  It was a deliberate hit to injure our quarterback and take him out of the game.
Bama played dirty!  Fuck Bama in their cheating asses!  And fuck Saban for being a dirty cheating AssHat!  An fuck the whole state of Alabama!
i hope we play them again with some decent Refs and beat the ever living shit out of them!

On my rewatch i saw a similar trend. My thought was that they look like they’re taught to foul if they get beat… just like basketball of old. It was just way more apparent this game because our guys were beating them all the time be it scheme, talent, and/or effort.

And FDT.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

whining about refs is whiny and i don't appreciate it 99% of the time in football/basketball. However this game was a massive injustice moreso given the context of #1 vs. unranked.  Once in a lifetime chance really and was stolen from us. 

There will be plenty of other chances to beat Bama’s ass starting next year.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Pass interference isn’t a dirty play. It’s a last-resort-after-you-got-beat play.  Does the same cheater label apply to us too when we interfere?    

We will be called for a few this year ourselves. Probably some face masks too.  If you guys think they were being coached to grab face masks you’re an idiot.

Watch the Quinn hit at full speed instead of slo-mo. It’s not reasonable to apply any analysis of it based on slow motion. The whole thing was over in half a second. People are claiming in that half second he had the awareness to grab his arm, force the fall a certain way, etc…. It’s embarrassing.  It was roughing and they called it roughing. It happened way faster than most of you are replaying in your heads.  It sucks. We will probably rough the QB a few times this year too. Doesn’t make it ok but it also doesn’t make it the crime of the century some you are making it to be. Move on. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3