Texas vs. #1 Alabama

Pancho

6 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's just an abbriviated way to say it since sternoclavicular is a tongue twister

If that's what he has, and without dislocation, I'd guess he'd be back in 2 weeks with proper treatment of the p5 quality level. 

SC sprains are pretty rare without direct focal trauma.  AC joint injury very common.  Basically the degree of the sprain has to do with the degree of ligamentous injury.  More severe injuries involve muscular/joint capsule injury.  Should be pretty certain with the initial x-ray based on the degree the clavicle moves relative to acromium but they will likely get an MRI to confirm given ramifications for coming back. 

51 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's not a sprain to the bone itself it's a sternoclavicular sprain. But most people just refer to it as a clavicle sprain or SC joint sprain. 

https://www.sportsmedtoday.com/sternoclavicular-sc-sprains-va-114.htm

Your point still stands but AC (Acromioclavicular) joint sprain sounds like the more common one actually and is generally caused by that type of hit/fall. AC seems to be the consensus "twitter doctor" guess as to what it is based on Sark's comment and the play.

Just now, Acropora said:

SC sprains are pretty rare without direct focal trauma.  AC joint injury very common.  Basically the degree of the sprain has to do with the degree of ligamentous injury.  More severe injuries involve muscular/joint capsule injury.  Should be pretty certain with the initial x-ray based on the degree the clavicle moves relative to acromium but they will likely get an MRI to confirm given ramifications for coming back. 

Yeah there's a range of severity for sure. Guess I should have said best case 2 weeks but if there's more damage than a mild sprain it could be longer. Have they even confirmed it wasn't a fracture? I'm going off that assumption since I saw SC sprain somewhere last night. 

16 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah there's a range of severity for sure. Guess I should have said best case 2 weeks but if there's more damage than a mild sprain it could be longer. Have they even confirmed it wasn't a fracture? I'm going off that assumption since I saw SC sprain somewhere last night. 

Everyone is just going off Sark's "clavicle sprain" comment which is obviously a little vague and sloppy terminology because you can sprain the AC or SC (which both have clavicle in their full names), but the clavicle itself would only be a fracture. I think people are then just assuming Sark was using layman's terms "clavicle" for AC or SC but that the sprain part is accurate.  From there, AC is much more common and lines up with what happened on the play. So bottom line, we're all guessing but hoping the sprain part was true.

As noted in a previous post, players often miss no time with an AC sprain. Even OBJ when he had a grade 3 one. But I'm sure it depends on the specifics.

edit: AC joint separation is also what Drew Brees said "shoot it up" and get back in there for.

Edited by Tex-19

explain something.  How did Bama have 10 points and 186 yards in Q1-Q3, but Q4 had 10 points and 188 yards.  The blanket coverage in the first 3 quarters led to very good pressure on Young but in Q4 was UT giving big cushions to the WRs?  Playing a soft zone? Giving Bama the sideline?  Something definitely did change. 

I’ve said this 3 times now. Bama has some wrinkle play I noticed yesterday…especially in the 2 drives. A pass over the middle goes over the refs head…ref ducks and the bama receiver is directly behind him and goes for about 20 yards. You can’t defend it because the refs right there.
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

I have a feeling that long-term the Alabama fans are going to wish Texas hadn’t joined the SEC.  We are going to wreck that fucking conference and Bama won’t be center stage anymore.

I dont think it has as much to do with us as Saban seems like he is in his twilight to me.every coach getting ready for retirement suddenly starts talking about coaching forever, and I want to go 10 more years, yada yada so their recruiting does not suffer. It would shock me if Saban is there by the time we have been in the SEC a few years.

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I dont think it has as much to do with us as Saban seems like he is in his twilight to me.every coach getting ready for retirement suddenly starts talking about coaching forever, and I want to go 10 more years, yada yada so their recruiting does not suffer. It would shock me if Saban is there by the time we have been in the SEC a few years.

Come on man, don’t kill my fun with facts ha ha!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just rewatched. The safety noncall was probably correct even though the attempted butt fuckery of the initial targeting call was fucking stupid. The most egregious and impactful mistakes from the refs were the noncall on the PI in the end zone early and the non call on the most obvious face mask of all time on Bijan. That hold on Young's scramble in the game winning drive was bad but happens every game. I'm sure Texas got away with some too. 

After rewatching this, I can only think that the people hating on Card after this game are fucking small minded twats. He played well. His biggest mistake was taking a sack when he was trying to protect the football, but Auburn hit the longer kick anyway. His leg injury definitely impacted the game.

Biggest takeaway is how dramatically better the defense was.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Wtf happened on the OL the the QE injury play? Looked like the play was designed to roll left where we had two receivers and one defender, but Will Anderson came through untouched and Quinn had to spin around to avoid him.

Also, Bijan needs new cleats. Dude slips like every play.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It was a safety.  His ankle was down.  But if you're not going to call him down, then it's intentional grounding, because Overshown is not an eligible Alabama receiver.

Yup.  I don't get why there are posters on here who just refuse to see that he was down.

Absolutely a safety.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Everyone is just going off Sark's "clavicle sprain" comment which is obviously a little vague and sloppy terminology because you can sprain the AC or SC (which both have clavicle in their full names), but the clavicle itself would only be a fracture. I think people are then just assuming Sark was using layman's terms "clavicle" for AC or SC but that the sprain part is accurate.  From there, AC is much more common and lines up with what happened on the play. So bottom line, we're all guessing but hoping the sprain part was true.

As noted in a previous post, players often miss no time with an AC sprain. Even OBJ when he had a grade 3 one. But I'm sure it depends on the specifics.

edit: AC joint separation is also what Drew Brees said "shoot it up" and get back in there for.

Ok good if Sark said sprain I'm sure he had gotten word on the xray results being negative by then. 

With it being on the side of his non throwing arm I'll be surprised if he misses more than 1 game if the MRI/CT come back as an AC sprain with no dislocation. 

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It was a safety.  His ankle was down.  But if you're not going to call him down, then it's intentional grounding, because Overshown is not an eligible Alabama receiver.

If they want to say he wasn’t down, thats one thing. Probably wrong, but so close it’s hard to really tell. 

As far as intentional grounding goes, he was outside the tackle box from what I can tell. 

AC65A28B-80F3-47B0-9849-20C7FFE90A56.jpeg

F6C037C4-549B-4036-8AE6-D3A3FDBE95C0.jpeg

He’s still holding the ball in that second picture outside the tackle box. 

Edited by Constant

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

Ok good if Sark said sprain I'm sure he had gotten word on the xray results being negative by then. 

I would think so but who knows. Tbh it concerns me a bit that Ewers didn't come back because it sounds like people often do with an AC sprain (ie Drew Brees' comment).

Just now, Tex-19 said:

I would think so but who knows. Tbh it concerns me a bit that Ewers didn't come back because it sounds like people often do with an AC sprain (ie Drew Brees' comment).

Have him come back in against that defense and potentially get even more injured and be out for the whole season? 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Constant said:

If they want to say he wasn’t down, thats one thing. Probably wrong, but so close it’s hard to really tell. 

As far as intentional grounding goes, he was outside the tackle box from what I can tell. 

AC65A28B-80F3-47B0-9849-20C7FFE90A56.jpeg

F6C037C4-549B-4036-8AE6-D3A3FDBE95C0.jpeg

He’s still holding the ball in that second picture outside the tackle box. 

Wtf does tackle box havebto do with the play when the ball didn’t even make the goal line 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Constant said:

I would like some clarification on the actual rule here (not that Big12 refs give a fuck about what the actual rules are). 

He’s outside the tackle box and throws it away and it immediately hits Overshown. No way that gets back to the line of scrimmage if it doesn’t, but if it hits the opposing team does that satisfy the ‘beyond like of scrimmage’ part of the rule? I’m guessing the ref isn’t really going to be making a judgement call on how far it would have traveled  

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sark probably doesn't want to shoot up his freshman QB and risk further injury in game number 2 of non conference. I'd take it more as precautionary. 

Probably need the MRI for a full assessment of the damage.  While I am pretty certain they can do an xray at the stadium, I doubt they have MRI capabilities there.

Blah blah blah I love bama

Texas did time and time again. Until the end.  

Saban explained his 4th down decision making and it was precision, next level analysis

God fuck you with your until the end bull shit. There was a fucking egregious hold on that missed sack. That’s not bama stepping it up when Texas couldn’t. That’s ref’s fucking Texas. Don’t tarnish this teams play with your nimwit view of how football works.

Look at “bama” stepping it up…

0562b1a2c2c1de35d00ee47fb48eb7c9.png
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

God fuck you with your until the end bull shit. There was a fucking egregious hold on that missed sack. That’s not bama stepping it up when Texas couldn’t. That’s ref’s fucking Texas. Don’t tarnish this teams play with your nimwit view of how football works.

Look at “bama” stepping it up…

0562b1a2c2c1de35d00ee47fb48eb7c9.png

I fucking put an asterisk on it you selective mother fucker. But if you really think Bama, Bryce and Saban aren’t the standard still then ok. What the fuck ever you argumentative fuck.

28 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ankle? That's not the rule. Knee is up, he rolls over on top of the defender, not down. Not intentional grounding b/c #2 was in the area. That's being generous, sure, but it's not the most egregious call of the game by a large margin.

Screenshot_2022-09-11_09-10-41.png

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

FC8E5E32-0C40-4D0B-8371-A6EC8365A810.jpeg

I didn't realize the shin was considered down. Refs fucked that up bigly in this case. Found the definition in the rule book:

b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except the hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as they contact the ground with any part of their FR-62 Rule 4 / Ball in Play, Dead Ball, Out of Bounds body, except the hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I).

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Ankle? That's not the rule. Knee is up, he rolls over on top of the defender, not down. Not intentional grounding b/c #2 was in the area. That's being generous, sure, but it's not the most egregious call of the game by a large margin.

Screenshot_2022-09-11_09-10-41.png

NCAA rule 4.1.3.b - A live ball becomes dead when any part of the ball carrier's body, except hand or foot, touches the ground.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Fico said:

His shin is down. There several high definition shots showing this. 

He was down. It was a safety. End of story.

I believe if he was down, then the late hit on the QB stands.

The fact that we got the ball back in good enough field position to get three points out of it probably made it better for us. Yeah we could have gotten two points then maybe drive the field, but who knows. It gave us a very good chance at three as it was.

The non call PI and face mask were the killers.

28 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I would like some clarification on the actual rule here (not that Big12 refs give a fuck about what the actual rules are). 

He’s outside the tackle box and throws it away and it immediately hits Overshown. No way that gets back to the line of scrimmage if it doesn’t, but if it hits the opposing team does that satisfy the ‘beyond like of scrimmage’ part of the rule? I’m guessing the ref isn’t really going to be making a judgement call on how far it would have traveled  

0B762CCD-4279-4C38-87CE-84263983EFD0.jpeg

I think a case could be made #2 was an eligible receiver and in the area. This whole thing was fucked when they were so focused on it being targeting or not. I’m not sure they ever looked at this play in the correct way. 

Edited by Constant

Despite the loss, some changes are obvious:

D#: wow they played their hearts out. Outside of a couple of big runs (one for TD), they held Bama to 20 points and gave us a chance till the very last play.

Disciple and Team work: Texas looks like a much better squad as a team despite so many new faces. That goes a long way. The fans saw it and cheered the team while losing a heartbreaker. 

One thing staying the same: Big 12 refs incompetence especially against Texas.

9 minutes ago, po elvis said:

The fact that we got the ball back in good enough field position to get three points out of it probably made it better for us. Yeah we could have gotten two points then maybe drive the field, but who knows. It gave us a very good chance at three as it was.

They said it was a targeting call not targeting and a personal foul. The targeting was evaluated and found incorrect.

In fact though, everything about that officiating was wrong. It was a safety. The player's ankle was down. There was no targeting. There was no personal foul. There was a holding that wasn't called.

Edited by Bevo

11 minutes ago, Constant said:

0B762CCD-4279-4C38-87CE-84263983EFD0.jpeg

I think a case could be made #2 was an eligible receiver and in the area. This whole thing was fucked when they were so focused on it being targeting or not. I’m not sure they ever looked at this play in the correct way. 

ball still has to go beyond the LOS

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

The ref has to determine if the throw would have been grounding had the defender not hit it.

Edited by JBJ

18 minutes ago, po elvis said:

the late hit doesn't stand because no one blew the whistle.  also, they already admitted there was miscommunication saying it was roughing(CYA) and that it was targeting, which was overturned.

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Just rewatched. The safety noncall was probably correct even though the attempted butt fuckery of the initial targeting call was fucking stupid. The most egregious and impactful mistakes from the refs were the noncall on the PI in the end zone early and the non call on the most obvious face mask of all time on Bijan. That hold on Young's scramble in the game winning drive was bad but happens every game. I'm sure Texas got away with some too. 

After rewatching this, I can only think that the people hating on Card after this game are fucking small minded twats. He played well. His biggest mistake was taking a sack when he was trying to protect the football, but Auburn hit the longer kick anyway. His leg injury definitely impacted the game.

Biggest takeaway is how dramatically better the defense was.

I think Card played better than I feared immediately after the injury. That said, he forced us into severely limited playbook and change in game plan. I appreciate his grit and smart decision making, but it’s ok to call a spade a spade