Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

Good nugget from Scipio Tex on IT

Murphy was 9/10 for 51 yards on throws behind the line of scrimmage. On all throws beyond the line of scrimmage, he was 7 of 15 for 119 yards – a 46.7% completion percentage. While all QBs pad their accuracy stats with tosses behind the line, Ewers was completing 64.5% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage. That 18% margin has a lot of offense in it. How Sark bridges that gap going forward will determine Maalik’s efficacy. If he nails more play calls like the second Mitchell touchdown, we’re in good shape, but open-ended offense is a more dangerous proposition.

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, immamac said:

People are straight up blaming a close game or even loss on Maalik already. Saying shit like "idk if maalik can win against them" he's gonna drag his nuts on their face. 

Not knowing if a backup QB in his 2nd start can beat a good team is a hot take?  The guy that panicked and threw the worst pick we've seen in years and threw into double coverage multiple times?  We're just all supposed to assume that won't occur again?  You can superfan all you want.  But we would be 10+ point favorites in this game if QE was healthy.  That doesn't mean we win or lose but the floor and ceiling for QB play is both significantly higher with a healthy QE.  MM is still a question mark.  He's raw an inexperienced with a lot of upside.  He needs tons of live reps to reach that. That shouldn't be controversial.  It's fact.    I hope he plays lights out this week.  He very well could.  But it could easily swing the other way as well and we're playing Arch in the 2nd quarter.  As it the case with every young and inexperienced QB in the history of college football.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

People are straight up blaming a close game or even loss on Maalik already for kstate. Saying shit like "idk if maalik can win against them" he's gonna drag his nuts on their face. 

It'll be hard for him to drag his nuts across their face off his back foot, but it should be interesting to see him try.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, elguapo said:

You can't see shit from this grainy screenshot with your silly blue arrow. Go start the video at 7:15 and then get back to me.

https://x.com/NashTalksTexas/status/1718518325817295023?s=20

Funny. You respond with a grainer video.. I can only lead a Surly poster to the truth, I cant make him accept it. 

Maalik played reasonably well for his first college start after just one week of practice with the 1s. He was also not helped by his HC calling so many pass plays to start the game. I thought he settled down as the game went on and we started to call more runs. I expect the game to slow down more for him once has time to reflect on his first game and gets another week of practice to correct things. Best wishes for a true longhorn who stayed with the program despite being recruited over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Murphy was 9/10 for 51 yards on throws behind the line of scrimmage. On all throws beyond the line of scrimmage, he was 7 of 15 for 119 yards – a 46.7% completion percentage. While all QBs pad their accuracy stats with tosses behind the line, Ewers was completing 64.5% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage. That 18% margin has a lot of offense in it. How Sark bridges that gap going forward will determine Maalik’s efficacy. If he nails more play calls like the second Mitchell touchdown, we’re in good shape, but open-ended offense is a more dangerous proposition.

Maalik was 6/12 on short and intermediate - but PFF has 3 drops among those 6 misses.  He was 1/3 on deep balls.

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

He was also not helped by his HC calling so many pass plays to start the game.

Sark explained why he did that and it was valid. Get him some confidence in making throws early, rather than his first pass attempt being on a 3rd and 9

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Maalik played reasonably well for his first college start after just one week of practice with the 1s. He was also not helped by his HC calling so many pass plays to start the game. I thought he settled down as the game went on and we started to call more runs. I expect the game to slow down more for him once has time to reflect on his first game and gets another week of practice to correct things. Best wishes for a true longhorn who stayed with the program despite being recruited over. 

Might have been mentioned on the broadcast - but *somebody* was talking about how they'd much rather have the opportunity to throw their first couple of passes on 1st/2nd down rather than be forced to make their first throw on a possible third and long. 

@Js1 pointed out that was Sark.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Sark explained why he did that and it was valid. Get him some confidence in making throws early, rather than his first pass attempt being on a 3rd and 9

Yeah, but there's something between waiting until 3rd and 9 to throw the ball and throwing it on 8 of the first 10 plays.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't disagree on why Sark did it but it also meant for us to live through some early turbulence.

6 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Fuck you! We are arguing whether it hits Worthy’s chest or not!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

It literally pinged around on his chest dipshit. 

Sure it did, tough guy. I showed the shot of the ball in front of DB's arm. If people want to bullshit themselves for Maalik's sake go right ahead. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Maalik was 6/12 on short and intermediate - but PFF has 3 drops among those 6 misses.  He was 1/3 on deep balls.

I watched that video of all of Malik’s throws and I count 3 drops from worthy. If a wr gets their hands on the ball they should catch it. Period. It’s their job to help their qb, especially when they blow him before the game on Twitter about how much they love him. You like him so much then catch the fuckin ball. Sanders actually stepped up and did what he was suppose to do, he caught balls in traffic and took a couple shots for it. I wish he would do more of that consistently but that’s whatever. 

• Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I thought it was 1 drop 

There were 3 to Worthy that may have been drops.  The deep ball was contested, good play by defender,slightly underthrown.  On the slant, hard to tell but looked tipped and that may have contributed to incompletetion.  If it wasnt tipped, the ball was thrown behind him, hard to put that on X.  The 4th down play was catchable but hard to tell from TV angle.

Overall XW had a great game, one of his best imo

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

People are straight up blaming a close game or even loss on Maalik already for kstate. Saying shit like "idk if maalik can win against them" he's gonna drag his nuts on their face. 

Fucking this 

how about spending more time supporting the staff and players instead of tearing them down at every turn 

MM has a ton of talent, and he’s still very young. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jdhorn92 said:

There were 3 to Worthy that may have been drops.  The deep ball was contested, good play by defender,slightly underthrown.  On the slant, hard to tell but looked tipped and that may have contributed to incompletetion.  If it wasnt tipped, the ball was thrown behind him, hard to put that on X.  The 4th down play was catchable but hard to tell from TV angle.

Ball was tipped at the LOS. insane to call that a drop

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

On all throws beyond the line of scrimmage, he was 7 of 15 for 119 yards – a 46.7% completion percentage

Maalik is in his 2nd year in the program. BYU is a below average defense. There are QBs that make their first career starts under similar circumstances, with substantially less talent at the skill positions, that perform better than this. I wish we had one. 

• Fuck You 2

I think we will see Maalik utilize the middle of the field a lot more than Ewers, which also means there will be more "dangerous" looking throws and interceptions, especially when the receivers don't run the routes correctly. There is likely to be fewer checkdowns. I see him as high risk/ high reward kind of a QB.

34 minutes ago, elguapo said:

You can't see shit from this grainy screenshot with your silly blue arrow. Go start the video at 7:15 and then get back to me.

https://x.com/NashTalksTexas/status/1718518325817295023?s=20

1:15, 4:10, and 5:05. All three of those passes should have been caught by worthy. I’m not saying they are easy. I’m saying he held us ransom in the portal, he wants to be a first round pick then make those catches. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ball was tipped at the LOS. insane to call that a drop

It’s not insane, it’s just that other wr’s would absolutely have caught that once they got their hands on it. Rojo wasn’t a wr and I bet he catches it, Bijan has good hands, brockers from Georgia catches that ball. Oklahoma has had about 20 guys over the past 20 years who catch that ball. 

• Fuck You 1

The inside route was tipped. I didn’t see it on the broadcast as wobbly but that ball was wobbly and low and behind. Catchable but not easy.

The deep one was catchable but also a bit underthrown.

The short out breaking route was definitely catchable. But it wasn’t easy due to the throw.

Wr and Qb need to help each other out. I’m not sure last week has anything to do with this week. Clean it up some and let’s win.

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

1:15, 4:10, and 5:05. All three of those passes should have been caught by worthy. I’m not saying they are easy. I’m saying he held us ransom in the portal, he wants to be a first round pick then make those catches. 

Ill give you 1:15. Contested, but you got to mke that play. Forget that one. 4:10 is the tipped ball at the LOS, so that is in no way a drop. The one at 5:05 is definitely a drop. That was the one I remembered

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

4 for 27? great punt return though. He also would have given one away if not for a freakish bounce of the ball. 

42 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ewers also was falling more and more into the checkdown option...which also pads his "across the LOS" stat.  

Obviously Ewers is the better option than MM.  But if you remove the fumble (not MMs fault) and the interception, MM managed that game well and sprinkled in a few key plays.  That's all we need.  

I just watched this twice. I didn't see the impressive arm strength. Everything seemed to be a touch/finesse pass. Perhaps that is what every situation called for in this game. I don't know. One of his first completions was to Mitchell on a mid-level crossing route that was wide open because the LBs were frozen by play-action. How is a route & completion like this not available very frequently to either Mitchell or Sanders? What I am trying to say is I am worried about the K State game and until someone talks me down I might drink during work hours and and I could put my job in jeopardy and then I will have to sit at home and I'll drink more and eat into my savings and I'll be eating salisbury steak and if I am doing that while watching Texas in the Alamo Bowl again I could move on to hard drugs and God knows where that could lead and, quite frankly, you should be ashamed of yourself for allowing me to even get to a possible condition like this. 
Rice or mashed taters?

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Fucking this 

how about spending more time supporting the staff and players instead of tearing them down at every turn 

MM has a ton of talent, and he’s still very young. 

Who is tearing MM down?  He played fine for his first start.  Some good. Some bad.  He needs 3 games against the likes of Rice to get more comfortable.  Unfortunately that isn't in the cards.   It's not "tearing them down" to be concerned you are starting a QB that has very few live game reps (including in HS) in a must win game.  It's a legitimate concern.  Obviously everyone hopes he plays well.   That's the thing about young inexperienced QB's.  He could come out and play a great game.  Or he could turn it over 3 times in the first half.  You just don't know what you are going to get.  Best thing that could happen for him is for our OL to step up this week and give him time.

I don't think Murphy played a great game, but a reasonable one when accounting for the situation.
However anyone blaming him for the fumble is being silly.  The play is slow developing and designed for him to turn his back to that side and make a throw.  I love Brooks, but he whiffed the block on a play where whiffing the block gets your QB blown up almost by design.
Would a more experienced QB have secured the ball more quickly?  Maybe.  But I'm not blaming MM for trusting the defender would be at least slowed enough for him to execute the play.
That play needs to be taken out until we have 5 All B12 linemen
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Ewers also was falling more and more into the checkdown option...which also pads his "across the LOS" stat.  

I was as critical as anyone regarding that during the period of the UH game where we stalled.  I thought he wasn't seeing the field or not processing beyond his first read.  But then it came out he had already injured his throwing shoulder and was trying to play through it.  Which makes that stretch make a lot more sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, elguapo said:

The video clearly shows the ball bounce off Worthy’s chest, hilarious that you can’t accept that.

The defender's arm was in between Worthy's arms and between Worthy and the ball.  It might have glanced off Worthy's chest on the deflection/rake away, but to characterize it as a drop is wild.  Without Worthy's punt return TD, it still would've been a one possession game at this point.  Y'all are funny.

image.png.794a1fd623440c26f9d07af79dd4e67e.png

image.png.f6a634494c99c6bf028a8791532d3942.png

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

The defender's arm was in between Worthy's arms and between Worthy and the ball.  It might have glanced off Worthy's chest on the deflection/rake away, but to characterize it as a drop is wild.  Without Worthy's punt return TD, it still would've been a one possession game at this point.  Y'all are funny.

Honestly just  good play by defender. Wouldn’t count it as a drop. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
I don't think Murphy played a great game, but a reasonable one when accounting for the situation.
However anyone blaming him for the fumble is being silly.  The play is slow developing and designed for him to turn his back to that side and make a throw.  I love Brooks, but he whiffed the block on a play where whiffing the block gets your QB blown up almost by design.
Would a more experienced QB have secured the ball more quickly?  Maybe.  But I'm not blaming MM for trusting the defender would be at least slowed enough for him to execute the play.

I love that play design.  Players need to execute.  We executed it last year for a TD with a shittier line.    J Brooks has been phenomenal this season, but if he makes that block, it's probably a TD (although, to your point, if I recall, either the center or a guard let a guy go as well that might have made the play even if Brooks slides over).

1 hour ago, immamac said:

I do like that Maalik was a fuckin' winner in high school.  Teammates are gonna ball out for him this Saturday!!! 🤘

9 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Ran that play last year vs OSU and scored a TD. I believe Sark ran that at Bama in NC game for a TD. 

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

Obviously Ewers is the better option than MM.  But if you remove the fumble (not MMs fault) and the interception, MM managed that game well and sprinkled in a few key plays.  That's all we need.  

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but yeah I think if you take away any QB's turnovers they'll tend to clear the bar of managing the game well

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

I don't have much of a dog in this fight, but yeah I think if you take away any QB's turnovers they'll tend to clear the bar of managing the game well

It's more relevant bc it is his first game.  We don't know if that's the standard or if there is room for improvement.

13 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

I don't characterize it as a drop, but if Worthy wants to be a first round pick like I believe he expects to be then it is absolutely a catch he should make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Honestly just  good play by defender. Wouldn’t count it as a drop. 

Yeah that one is just a damn good play by the db, possibly a wr like Marvin Harrison jr catches it but that’s it. 

@Felix are you going to post a defense or just keep negging me? I’m not even sure what you’re mad at lol. 

Edited by WinningIsHard

15 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I don't characterize it as a drop, but if Worthy wants to be a first round pick like I believe he expects to be then it is absolutely a catch he should make.

Other people considered it a drop, and not really.  If a ball deflects off a defender's arm, with his arm between the WR's arms, how is it a catch he should make?  These screenshots are literally fractions of a second.

Edited by OU Sucks

18 minutes ago, elguapo said:

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

The video clearly shows the ball bounce off Worthy’s chest, hilarious that you can’t accept that.

So clearly bouncing off his chest isn't a drop?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Other people considered it a drop, and not really.  If a ball deflects off a defender, with his arm between the WR's arms, how is it a catch he should make?  These screenshots are literally fractions of a second.

The ball doesn't appear to deflect off the defender to me, but either way its a contested ball that bounced off of Worthy's chest. 1st round caliber WRs make that catch more often than not. This is one of the knocks on Worthy that I believe will keep him from being a first round pick - his inability to win on contested catches.

The ball had already hit Worthy’s chest and bounced by the time the first picture was taken. You can see the ball. If he would learn to catch with his hands, he has a better chance of catching that. No one is going to consider that a drop though. I feel like he should have caught it.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers