Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

He needs to protect the ball better and learn to throw it away when pressured. He'll get there. BYU was the best opponent for him to get a start against. KSU would've been tough and those picks get housed by KSU. The game plan got pretty complementary to what he needed in the 2nd half and we never looked back in the 4th. I don't need Maalik to reinvent the position. Just don't throw picks and do what you can to win the game and have your defense help carry the day.  

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, immamac said:

So uh where’s the thread where we bitch about Xavier worthy dropping fucking balls that hit him in the chest and hands over and over on key conversions and key plays? I swear some of you actually don’t watch the games and you just watch highlights. 

We won, stop complaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, immamac said:

I’m not in just in this thread with everyone talking about how bad MM was even though he very clearly wasn’t.

He was okay and it could have been worse. Still, for a guy in his 2nd year in the program, it could have been better, in multiple ways.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I think Maalik is fully capable of leading a win by a wide margin against kstate. 

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Drew Kelson said the same thing in the IT post game show. He said it looked like a game where one team knew they were going to win and coached like it. Used it almost as a scrimmage. 

This is exactly the feel I got, even though I still would have liked us to kick one of those FGs.

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I’m not in just in this thread with everyone talking about how bad MM was even though he very clearly wasn’t. I think Maalik is fully capable of leading a win by a wide margin against kstate. 

I was just messing with you.

Ehh, if we had a  better OL, then then yeah Malik could 'guide' us to a big win. Because we would be converting those goal-line possessions and short-yardage plays. But I don't think he is ready to put up 300 yards and 3tds based on what I saw. 

You do love you some Maalik, though. I hope proves worthy.

Edited by Brothahorn

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

We don't have the OL to run IZ successfully when the other team is keying on it. RPOs have been our most effective plays down there. They also increase the risk of turnovers and negative plays.

Most of Sark's RPO game is built off IZ. So if we can't run IZ, the RPO is less effective. 

I think we do have the OL (maybe not at C) to do it, they just have to do it. Stop whiffing the scheme and letting a free defender disrupt the play. 

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

No, it was 20 consecutive wins with James Street as UT’s QB.  We went 8-1-1 in 1968 and 11-0 in 1969.  Street’s eligibility ended following that ‘69 season. The Horns next 10 wins came with Eddie Phillips at QB in the 1970 season giving us 30 consecutive wins from 1968-1970.

We went 9-1-1 in 1968…not 8-1-1.  Forgot to add the Cotton Bowl thrashing of Tennessee.  Fuzzy math.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Ewers with better footwork and Bijan with a better block here...kid will learn

Horribly blocked. Ewers would have been sacked as well. People put that on Maliik for not eating it, but he has to trust the play will be blocked up, since it's a timing play.

The ball came out because he was starting his throwing motion. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Slacks said:

Horribly blocked. Ewers would have been sacked as well. People put that on Maliik for not eating it, but he has to trust the play will be blocked up, since it's a timing play.

And I'm not convinced we score there, except that BYU was a slow team, so even with the right read, LB may not get there. 

The interception was pretty bad. I think it was trying to throw it away, but didn’t put anything on. I don’t think he was ready for the snap on the fumble. Smooth sailing after that.

I’ll join the board in my surprise with his immobility. He’s going to need a big ass lane to pick up a 3rd and 5. 

Credit to Sark for sticking with him after the fumble. And credit to Murphy persevering. I wanted to see Arch on the next series. 

Red in the wildcat should be our short yardage offense. We don’t need Maalik getting hurt on some doomed QB sneak. That said, Red is going to have to throw it once to get on that on film and slow down the defense a little bit. 

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This. I need to check the PFF numbers, but I don’t think we played the jumbo package, with Agbo at TE, at all against BYU. It’s been one of our most productive packages but I don’t think Sark wanted to put anymore of it on tape before Kansas St. 

Agbo was on the field for that awful INT so we definitely used it some.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The interception was pretty bad. I think it was trying to throw it away, but didn’t put anything on. I don’t think he was ready for the snap on the fumble. Smooth sailing after that.

I’ll join the board in my surprise with his immobility. He’s going to need a big ass lane to pick up a 3rd and 5. 

Credit to Sark for sticking with him after the fumble. And credit to Murphy persevering. I wanted to see Arch on the next series. 

Red in the wildcat should be our short yardage offense. We don’t need Maalik getting hurt on some doomed QB sneak. That said, Red is going to have to throw it once to get on that on film and slow down the defense a little bit. 

Red has thrown it once.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

My two cents agrees that most of the play-calling was like a scrimmage.  The first 2-3 series were/scripted so that’s where Sark admittedly came out with passing plays (like 5-7 in a row).  Ideally Sark and Co fix the back foot issue - Quinn had that issue last year and also looks different when he plants and follows through. 

I feel that the Red-Cat series was a single play that is likely to give Sark and Co film to teach of off and or adjust off of. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

So uh where’s the thread where we bitch about Xavier worthy dropping fucking balls that hit him in the chest and hands over and over on key conversions and key plays? I swear some of you actually don’t watch the games and you just watch highlights. 

So…Why can’t Johntay see the field and get some touches?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ruitxn said:

I was yelling at the tailgate that they should bench Xavier for a series punitively for some of the mistakes he makes. It’s hard to justify because when he does make the catch he is a dynamic playmaker, but his drops are a huge problem. In the NFL they wouldn’t throw to him over a more reliable target because that’s how many drops he has at this point. 

I am super curious to what people are seeing in Maalik being immobile in the pocket or having bad footwork. From what I saw I thought he did great and showed a lot more settled feet and willingness to throw when he knows he’s gonna get blown up. It’s not atypical for really large body quarterbacks to look and play a bit statuesque in the pocket, they can often play through contact more than the smaller guys. This is obviously a category Maalik fits in. He’s the biggest human on the field most plays. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Oh I agree on the blocking, in neither instance did the pulling guard impact the rusher, Bijan cleaned it up much better than Brooks did.  But there are also little things.  MM takes an extra peek at the receiver that Ewers doesn't waste time with and his fake and drop was a lot more fluid than MM's was.  Again that's something to learn on even if the blocking likely results in same outcome.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Considering you probably got married on a weekend, it sounds like you gave up two Saturdays.

Friday Sir... I said I had to give up 1 Saturday. 

And for the record, first wife was a Longhorn. She nows sells crystals to other wives. She hated me watching sports. New wife has no problem with it. 

But if I have to give up watching games to ensure a Natty, well I will do what my Alma Mater needs. I mean we do change the world. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

From my not entirely sober perspective in the stands, he looked shaky as fuck in the first half, but better overall in the second. He gets another week of first team reps and another game at home. Hopefully he’ll be better against Kansas State, but our defense will have to play lights out.

Yes that was what happened. He looked so shaky early on, they were probably contemplating playing Arch in the second quarter. In the second half, they cut down the playbook substantially to keep him out of trouble and he responded okay. Next week will be an adventure. 

Edited by Dbeasy

6 minutes ago, ruitxn said:

Worthy had a drop on 3rd down that would have been a 1st.. I don’t remember another one, but he is way too valuable to take off the field. He is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands. Just as important he draws the attention of the defense, like no other player on the offense. He gets a lot of bracket coverage. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I was yelling at the tailgate that they should bench Xavier for a series punitively for some of the mistakes he makes. It’s hard to justify because when he does make the catch he is a dynamic playmaker, but his drops are a huge problem. In the NFL they wouldn’t throw to him over a more reliable target because that’s how many drops he has at this point. 

I am super curious to what people are seeing in Maalik being immobile in the pocket or having bad footwork. From what I saw I thought he did great and showed a lot more settled feet and willingness to throw when he knows he’s gonna get blown up. It’s not atypical for really large body quarterbacks to look and play a bit statuesque in the pocket, they can often play through contact more than the smaller guys. This is obviously a category Maalik fits in. He’s the biggest human on the field most plays. 

WTF?  I don't know X drop rate this year but it is miniscule by my eyes.  He's been fantastic this season.   JFC talking about benching probably the best WR in the country.  If you want to talk about drops last year (with a broken hand) fine.  But he's the best player on the field for us this year.

And then another WTF not seeing MM's bad footwork.  He threw off his back foot all game.  He's exactly what I expected him to be.  A high ceiling QB with virtually no experience playing like it.  Some good some bad.  Absolutely not reliable at this point with the stretch of games coming up and we're going to have to play really well around him to win.  Particularly the OL.   The pick he threw was one of the worst I've seen a Texas QB throw in a long time.  I recall QE had a similar one against OSU last year.   By the way, this isn't a knock on MM.  Again, it's damn near impossible to be an above average college QB without more experience if you aren't dual threat.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Something tells me Johntay will see the field plenty next season, not worried about any true Freshman with limited snaps. Now then, how is Sark going to manage to keep both Arch and Maalik when this one is done? It's also not a foregone conclusion Quinn tests the NFL waters..especially if he misses the last few games.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Worthy had a drop on 3rd down that would have been a 1st.. I don’t remember another one, but he is way too valuable to take off the field. He is a dynamic playmaker with the ball in his hands. Just as important he draws the attention of the defense, like no other player on the offense. He gets a lot of bracket coverage. 

Even that drop, if it's the one I'm thinking about, was deflected I think, he had to adjust, and ended up behind him a bit.  Could have made the catch but it wasn't a pure drop.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Most of Sark's RPO game is built off IZ. So if we can't run IZ, the RPO is less effective. 

I think we do have the OL (maybe not at C) to do it, they just have to do it. Stop whiffing the scheme and letting a free defender disrupt the play. 

IZ is decently effective, but teams have been looking to shut it down as we reach the redzone. It actually makes the pass component more effective if they commit to stopping the run.

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Even that drop, if it's the one I'm thinking about, was deflected I think, he had to adjust, and ended up behind him a bit.  Could have made the catch but it wasn't a pure drop.

That was a different play.. One I am talking about was in the flat. I don’t think anyone would count a tip pass behind him as a drop

Edited by Codaxx

He caught 4 balls on 9 targets and one of those was 100% on him tripping and not doing a better job of drawing the DPI. I swear some of you don’t actually know or care about football just about whatever narrative in your head. He’s not the best WR in the country, he is extremely dynamic and very fast. Everyone conflates the punt return with his receiver production or something in their brain. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I was yelling at the tailgate that they should bench Xavier for a series punitively for some of the mistakes he makes. It’s hard to justify

Funny, I was thinking during the game what a world of hurt we would be in if we didn't have X. He's a top five receiver in Texas history. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Your takes. They are odd. What people are seeing in Maalik being immobile in the pocket or having bad footwork is that he is a fairly immobile QB and his footwork needs work.

Except he’s not. It’s a fucking style of play. Some of you just don’t get it. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

He caught 4 balls on 9 targets and one of those was 100% on him tripping and not doing a better job of drawing the DPI. I swear some of you don’t actually know or care about football just about whatever narrative in your head. 

Look, we all appreciate all you do with the website and NIL.  But you have personal relationships that absolutely cloud your judgment and it's obvious in your posting at times.  Barring injury, X is a first round pick or early 2nd at worst.  Suggesting he should be benched is insanity.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

That’s the Quinn Ewers thread asshole 

• Haha 1

Just now, Skipper said:

Look, we all appreciate all you do with the website and NIL.  But you have personal relationships that absolutely cloud your judgment and it's obvious in your posting at times.  Barring injury, X is a first round pick or early 2nd at worst.  Suggesting he should be benched is insanity.

I want a culture where nobody is beyond accountability. As long as a game ain't on the line, I don't see anything wrong with having a player who fucks up penalized by sitting out a series.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

I want a culture where nobody is beyond accountability. As long as a game ain't on the line, I don't see anything wrong with having a player who fucks up penalized by sitting out a series.

This is what I’m saying. Let him know drops can’t be happening not that he’s gonna sit forever but that we are gonna let johntay cook get a shot cuz you keep dropping catchable balls. It’s not weird or anything that should be long term just a signal of accountability

• Hook 'Em 2

The only way Arch was playing yesterday was if MM got hurt. As we move deeper into season with Quinn out, the likelihood he gets in goes up.  We have four regular season games left, hopefully the Big 12 Champ Game and at least one bowl game. Arch can play in four and still retain his redshirt.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The only way Arch was playing yesterday was if MM got hurt. As we move deeper into season with Quinn, the likelihood he gets in goes up.  We have four regular season games left, hopefully the Big 12 Champ Game and at least one bowl game. Arch can play in four and still retain his redshirt.

Another one or two Wtf turnovers by Maalik and Sark would have reluctantly had to play him, which really would have screwed up the plan. Fortunately MM calmed down a bit. 

Maalik was living dangerously for much of that first quarter. The X throw into triple coverage where X falls is a bad throw even if he stays upright. The one handed JT catch was also a potentially disastrous throw. He settled in for the most part after that, but hopefully he continues to grow during the week and it culminates in a big time performance against KSU next week. He's gotta be more careful with the ball than he showed yesterday.

He threw some really nice balls in the RPO game, so maybe we'll see more of those worked in.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Show me a mistake that is worthy of being benched (no pun intended).  Surely someone has to have "drop rate" stats for season.  Maybe I'm wrong if someone can show me the data.  But I don't think drops have been an issue this year (obviously they were last year).  He's made some incredibly tough and huge catches for us.

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Maalik was living dangerously for much of that first quarter. The X throw into triple coverage where X falls is a bad throw even if he stays upright. The one handed JT catch was also a potentially disastrous throw. He settled in for the most part after that, but hopefully he continues to grow during the week and it culminates in a big time performance against KSU next week. He's gotta be more careful with the ball than he showed yesterday.

He threw some really nice balls in the RPO game, so maybe we'll see more of those worked in.

Agree. I thought he looked about like I thought he would.  A couple three WTF plays that could have hurt us tremendously, but didn't.  We'll see if he can learn from those w/o becoming too careful.  The Int was really bad, total panic move.  The throw to JT was just plain lucky and other to X was just trying to do too much.  Overall he had several great throws and seem to put the ball where the WR/RB could move in motion with ball flight.  Id give him a solid B+.  The fumble was a weird play where it was very slow developing and his blockers whiffed.  Sark called a similar slow developing play vs Bama last year near the goal line that got QE hurt.  Plus there were a drop or two at least on catchable throws and maybe a third, couldnt tell if the slant was tipped.

Edited by jdhorn92

• immamac changed the title to Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers