Texas vs iowa state - 11am on ABC

Pancho

I’ll speak some truths-I’m just disappointed by right about everything-the crowd, the sound, weak secondary, Bijan needs to break one of these ankle tackles, I didn’t cheer with much vigor-I’ll admit, production was lame, all around meh say except we got the win and stay in espns top 8 most likely to get to the playoffs. 

• Like 2

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Don't want to be a bummer after a big win, but that defense needs to find a way to get teams off the field.

Taking away the OU game (which was the result of the Sooners not having their starting QB available), the Texas defense's combined performance on third and fourth  downs absolutely sucks.

ISU: 10 of 15 

OU: 5 of 15

WVU: 12 of 18

Tech: 13 of 20

UTSA: 9 of 16

Bama: 6 of 15

ULM: 6 of 16

Total: 61 of 115, or 53 percent. That is AWFUL.

I hate it. It's excrutiating in real time. It really does seem like PK is gonna ride out this soft ass strategy of giving up long drives and waiting for mistakes. Hope the offense can start forcing teams to have to score to keep up.

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is the typical post that misses all context. ISU is a putrid offense and an excellent defense. ISU hasn’t scored more than 14 pts vs P5. 

It's not an elite defense. We know that. They're going to struggle at times and look great at times. It's the personnel we have. 

We have elite offensive talent. Elite QB. Elite RB. Elite WR. On the way to elite TE. They had 21 pts on wide open throws for TDs that Ewers and Cain fucked up. You can't do that when you have an elite offense, decent defense, and the offense needs to carry you to wins

This offense should never score under 30 with this talent. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

It was not targeting because he was a runner and it was to his shoulder. It was a fumble. RGIII is a moron. Our intermediate coverage and 3rd down defense has to improve or we’re not a top 20 team. Our mental mistakes were completely stupid today. We won. Where’s the Tylenol? I’m fucking drained.

SuckitKevin

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

The graphic was wrong. They called a fumble.

7 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The graphic was wrong. Call on the field was a fumble 

That brings up a good point: It shouldn't be too hard for a neutral announcing crew to reflect in the broadcast the calls the refs were making (I thought it was ruled a fumble as one ref signaled a first down for UT).  

4 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I’ll speak some truths-I’m just disappointed by right about everything-the crowd, the sound, weak secondary, Bijan needs to break one of these ankle tackles, I didn’t cheer with much vigor-I’ll admit, production was lame, all around meh say except we got the win and stay in espns top 8 most likely to get to the playoffs. 

Wut.

I am not used to Texas winning these types of close games, but I will take it. Our defense continues to be jekyll and hyde. Ewers had an off game, but I think not being able to connect with Cain few times got in his head. Not sure if the overthrows to Cain were bad throws or Cain stopping running his route or a bit of both.

Really don't understand why we played so flat given how these guys embarrassed us last year with their 5 star culture talks.

Cain needs to be on the bench. 

The first throw by Ewers was not good but I don't think he missed on the 2nd throw. It looked like Iowa State was in a zone and if Cain would have keep going up field it would have been a huge gain. 

Ewers led Cain on the 2nd "overthrow" because that's where there was space in the zone. For some reason, Cain decided to sit down in the zone where there were 2 Iowa State defenders. 

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It started off slow but the 1 positive in this game is I do think the run blocking is starting to get a lot better. 

Yeah, that was a good front 7 that we were able to push around at times. I think that was easily the best our run blocking has been given the competition. If ewers and Casey aren't completely on different pages, we would have won comfortably. I don't have any understanding how the defense could consistently lose their only receiving threat. Just fucking nuts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

The OL is just not that good yet, particularly at run blocking and particularly on the interior. Ewers was in a funk and the secondary has been weak sauce against everyone not OU. OU has the worst run D and obviously had no QB, so the D wasn't particularly taxed in the secondary. Although there were some inspired plays by our DBs in the RRS. So I knew we'd struggle today, but Ewers really stunk up the field for most of the first half. If he was on point today, we would have sustained drives, scored and the D would have rested.

The one thing I credit the team with is, they didn't quit. As bad as the D plays, they come up with a stop or turnover every once in a while because they are playing with more consistent effort this season.

Just have to add to this. Ewers did not elevate our game today like he previously has.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, orangebird said:

Guessing they missed all the non-calls where ISU was holding our receivers for long periods of time.

Anything that will benefit the Longhorns, aggy will miss. 

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Is Casey Cain WR3 next week?

Troy Omeire should starts.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The first throw by Ewers was not good but I don't think he missed on the 2nd throw. It looked like Iowa State was in a zone and if Cain would have keep going up field it would have been a huge gain. 

Ewers led Cain on the 2nd "overthrow" because that's where there was space in the zone. For some reason, Cain decided to sit down in the zone where there were 2 Iowa State defenders. 

I remember hearing the 995ers saying Ewers and Cain had a connection building.  But 995er are 99.5% bullshit

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

My thoughts exactly. I thought if he had just kept running, he would have caught the ball. He didn't trust Ewers to hit him in stride.